Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would be your choice of bad guys to act as the main antagonists if SG continues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peterking72 View Post
    Well I would have named my novel The Dark Tower, which after I googled was the exact name of Stephen King's famous novel. I believe there is also a film version of it, maybe about the first novel in the series, I don't know. Just remembered seing it somewhere.
    Yeah, King borrows heavily for that series and he's not at all subtle about it. It combines a lot of existing elements from fantasy books/mythology and spaghetti Westerns. Arthurian Legend figures prominently and King got both the name of the main character and the series from a Robert Browning poem called "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came."

"If at his counsel I should turn aside
    Into that ominous tract which, all agree,
    Hides the Dark Tower. Yet acquiescingly
    I did turn as he pointed: neither pride
    Nor hope rekindling at the end descried,
    So much as gladness that some end might be."

Full poem: https://rpo.library.utoronto.ca/poems/childe-roland-dark-tower-came

King has referenced its influence in interviews. Example:
    “It’s the one project I’ve ever had that seems to wait for me.” The idea of writing this dark fantasy series came from a favorite poem, Robert Browning’s “Child [sic] Roland to the Dark Tower Came.” King quickly warms to his story: “Browning never says what that tower is, but it’s based on an even older tradition about Childe Roland that’s lost in antiquity. Nobody knows who wrote it, and nobody knows what the Dark Tower is.

“So I started off wondering: What is this tower? What does it mean? And I decided that everybody keeps a Dark Tower in their heart that they want to find.
    “They know it’s destructive and it will probably mean the end of them, but there’s that urge to make it your own or to destroy it, one or the other. So I thought: Maybe it’s different things to different people, and as I write along I’ll find out what it is to Roland. And I found that out, but I’m not going to tell you!”
    He spoke at some length about creating a new world.

Source: https://stephenking.com/darktower/mi...rch_1989).html

The poem influenced a number of other authors; you can find both direct (e.g. wholesale quotes) and indirect references to it in scores of books. For example, Alastair Reynolds' "Diamond Dogs" includes a character named Roland Childe who seeks to travel to an alien artifact called the "Blood Spire." That novella postdates King's "The Dark Tower" and also includes references to his series, but King wasn't the first to reference Roland and/or the dark tower by name.

My novel would have been about a Tower in top of the Mount Everest, which would be shrouded in a mist, essentially making it invisible to the naked eye and undetectable by sensors. Hence the name: The Dark Tower.

I planned a trilogy featuring religion, mythology and science all converging in a way that would reveal the true nature of the world.

Anyway it has been more than a decade now that I gave it all up and decided to do something else instead and just live my life.

I thought it about a lot that I may regret it not writing these books one day, but maybe no one would have read them anyway. I mean I'm not that good a writer and these books might have just ended up being my learning project, but the story was my greatest idea and it would have deserved more than a mediocre presentation of an aspiring novelist.

The future remains unknown, but all seems to point that my books will remain unwritten and maybe that's for the best.
    Fair enough. Writing is difficult and there's a large gap between having an idea and being able to present it in novel form that needs to be filled with a great amount of training. Not everyone has the patience, drive, or the privilege to be able to devote that much time to learning how to write effectively. A great many others underestimate how challenging it is and bombard publishers, TV producers, etc., with short stories, books, scripts, etc., that are nowhere close to publishable.

The idea, though, sounds less like Stephen King's series and more like Shanghai-la. A place filled with knowledge that has remained hidden from the world is a timeless trope. We reuse it so often in fiction because it appeals to people's sense of wonder and allows them to fantasize that the extraordinary is out there somewhere in the real world. It's the same reason the idea of Hogwarts or Stargate Command are so popular.

Whether it's a tower or a castle or a hidden valley, it's all variations on a story idea that we've been using for thousands of years. That trope, though, is just a setup. How writers use it to tell their particular story is where they get to do something original. It's like writing a story about best friends who share an apartment together. Someone somewhere will label anyone writing a story like that as a ripoff of wherever they saw it happen first, but it's a common scenario that writers repeat because it's grounded in reality and easily facilitates conflict, comedy, etc. The apartment, though, needs to be populated with characters and stories that can be as unique or derivative as the writer chooses.

Had you pursued your story idea, a publisher likely would have asked you to change the title because Stephen King's work is so well known. You shouldn't have had a problem referring to the tower as the dark tower in the text itself, though, as long as it doesn't teleport between worlds or include too many other elements that, when added together, are heavily suggestive of King's version. It being called the dark tower, not because it's literally black, but invisible is also a major distinction as far as copyright goes. Not that one can copyright a name, but it can contribute to a claim that an author purposely co-opted the look and feel of another work if there are a lot of other similarities.
    Last edited by Xaeden; 26 September 2020, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
      You have sounded like that famous scientist who once stated that everything important was aleady discovered. And look at the science how it has evolved in the last 100 years.
      That's a falsely attributed quote. The oldest reference to it was in a satirical magazine from 1899 that wrote an imagined scenario between someone referred to as "Genius" and another person (referred to as "Boy") who delivered the "everything that can be invented" line. Perhaps because Charles H. Duell was the commissioner of the United States patent office in 1899, a "fact" book from 1981 attributed the quote to him for the first time and the claim has been making the rounds ever since.

Although, a kid in my ninth grade history class did non-ironically try to make that same claim, and I've found that there are plenty of adults who haven't advanced much beyond their middle/high school way of thinking, so I'm sure there are plenty of people who do think that. The head of the patent office in 1899 just wasn't one of them.

Comment

Thanks, Xaeden. Probably you are right, maybe it was about inventions. But you know what I wanted to say. Our evolution, our way of communication is still evolving. This is the reason I would like to hear stories in Stargate how the human race could adapt to local situation. Since we have got thousands of planets in the netwprk and technically the same race live on those places then maybe some of them would evolve into a real hok'taur while maybe other would be a complete failure on evolutionary way. Even aliens like Nox, Furling and of course the Asgard can play with time fields. It was budget wise really clever to write aliens around humans. Jaffa, Goa'ulds, Replicators, Priors were played by human actors with a little makeup or sound effects, but we were all happy about them. I am guessing the humans will be the centre of the next show too as we can connect mainly for own our race. I mean it is really hard to write real, non-humanoid aliens in a tv show. What would they talk about? How would they react to each other? Have they got similar organs? If we look around just in our animal kingdom, we can so much diversity as you can't compare for example spiders, octopuses, delphins, snakes, bats or sponges. But they have all conquerd their own ecological cell in the food chain

I wouldn't mind to see stories about not just humans but how the Ancients (or the Great Alliance) have populated the different worlds. Would we meet such races which are extinct on Earth? It could be cool to see some kind of Collectors who rescued and brought animals and plants from the Tauri. I mean I wouldn't necessarily turn Stargate into Jurassic park as that time scale would be a big time jump. But what about races from the Ice Age or Bronze Age? Would they place only herbivores and a few carnivores? How quickly would any grass, moss, flowers occupy a planet? How quickly would a food chain adapt to local changes? Why was our ecosystem chosen as the preferred one to spread it? How have other "original" ecosystem reacted to the "invasive" races? Have they turned against the Ancients or wee they happy to have a mixed new evolutionary ways? Have we got the right to infect a newly discoered planets with spores and bacterials with our visit? Are there radical, aggressive races who would fight back like ecozealots? What about the cause of protection of environment? This is the reason I would like to see a evolutionary biology related main character in the new show who could study the law of nature, the changes of weather, herbology, studying cactuses, sponges, type of forests, so basically the Nox related heritage etc. It would be time to find some interesting new science areas where the new SG show could focus.
        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

The other aspect could be some mythology based threat as I believe the audience wants some kind of connection. I mean we can talk and write stories about friendly or hostile non humanoid races, but would it be interesting for the audience? For example how would you communicate with an alien who hasn't got a head or no eyes? It would scare people away from your work as the human mind would react unpredictable to an unknown anatomy.

I believe any newly introduced alien race could work much better if they have got a little mythology or history based background as it gives an extra layer for the viewers. I know, I am a bit obsessed with this Erich von Däniken type of alien interventions. So many cultures have got deep mythological lore that there are plenty of candidates which could be reintroduced as friendly or hostile aliens. There was no internet that era, but people always loved good stories : gods, demigods, heroes, monsters, good vs. evil. Simply these elements were the books and movies for such crowd which couldn't read or write except a small percentage of the society. But they were still happy as it was part of their culture, religion and art. And this is why I always loved Stargate as little hints and references here or there have turned on my own imagination what could have really happened in real life.
          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I'm also a big fan of the writers relying on explanations for humans to be on other worlds instead of putting makeup on people every week and calling them aliens, and I too think there's a lot more potential to get fresh stories out of them. They had to rely on village planets a lot for budgetary reasons, but now that the Goa'uld aren't there to hold humans back anymore and a new show would likely have a bigger budget and be able to create more complex settings for less, it would be nice to see some advanced worlds come out of the woodwork. Not just so Earth can visit them, but so that they can encounter a diverse array of technology out in the field.

In particular, I would love to see human built vehicles that can travel through the gate and vex an SG team. It would make for more dynamic action scenes, and it would be interesting to see what humans might create with the dimensions of the Stargate restricting them. It would be sort of a Popular Science magazine, but instead of seeing real world designs of futuristic vehicles that tackle a problem here on Earth, we could see how the writers think someone might try to make a tank that could get through a Stargate and may have access to recovered alien technology. Having to borrow/hire local vehicles/mounts to get travel to areas far away from the gate would also be interesting. I doubt anyone is going to give a Stargate show $15 million an episode, so it's not going to be able to do that as often as "The Mandalorian" does, but it would be nice to see them try to come up with something every once and awhile.
            Last edited by Xaeden; 26 September 2020, 03:52 PM.

Comment

There would have been a tank type unit called "Semekhet" in the Stargate SG-1 : The Alliance game. Here you can see it around 9:55 :
              https://youtu.be/s_1wjYxM3iA
              They could never afford such things on a tv show. Even if this game was cancelled and it was really a beta version, it is nice to hear the actors in the gameplays. And somehow it is so cool to see an interactive FPS SG game as they walk and fight around on different planets. Maybe the game industry could be the future of SG-1 as the actors could make voice acting as they have done it in the Unleashed mobile game too. I hope the Stargate : Network team will make some progress and we can fight against Jaffas soon.

I believe new jumper types should be developed in Area51since Atlantis can be studied on Earth now. I mean this sound the logical defense instead of more glider type of ships. They should make such units which can enter the gate.

I always wanted to see the Asgard drones which were meant to be in the Stargate : Worlds. Maybe they had some other type of ships as well like those rolling spheres in Jurassic World or like the Stalkers or Immortals in Starcraft 2. This is the reason I have said the new show could be even based on Asgard heritage and how they fight to discover more. But let's face it, maybe the future investor would be worried after Norse mythology was heavily featured in the Thor movies , the last and the next God of war or the Assasin's Creed : Valhalla game.

I also wouldn't mind some kind of vehicles like jeeps as long as it won't turn into Stargate : Infinity which has started in 2030 and we are almost there in the timeline. Don't worry, I am aware that it is not part of the BW canon.

It would be nice to see more energy domes around stargates. Maybe some kind of "Eden gardens" which will keep the atmosphere and temperature stable around the gateand it would slowly expand itself to whole surface. Or this shield function could prevent mixing of atmosphere or keeping the water outside in an underwater world in a range around the gate etc.

Comment

I believe new jumper types should be developed in Area51since Atlantis can be studied on Earth now. I mean this sound the logical defense instead of more glider type of ships. They should make such units which can enter the gate.
                I love jumpers. They were fantastically designed and allowed Atlantis to explore scenarios and tell stories that Sg-1 couldn't. However, a fourth series has the potential to similarly distinguish itself by doing something new, and I think an interesting next step would be to show a progression over large distances using modes of transportation available on planets and maybe some ground based ones that they bring with them. It's something that they were never able to do before with their budgets such as they were, and travel stories can be extremely visceral.

If it's the Milky Way, they can say that without the Goa'uld trade has opened up, so they can believably reuse many of the same designs on different planets. Like the availability of speeders in "Star Wars," they can go to a planet and hire some commonly recurring vehicle to reach another part of the planet. Then they're far away from reinforcements who also have to hire a vehicle to go after them (if they even have reason to suspect they're in trouble), their vehicles can break down, they can get on shootouts on these things, and we can see them actually explore a decent portion of a planet while having to camp out and avoid being attacked in different locations.

In other instances, it could be incredibly low tech. I'd love to see them simply encounter a cable ferry that's essentially a raft that has a crew of people pulling on a rope placed over a river. Now they're not simply far away from the gate, they're on the other side of a river that they can't get across on their own and the only way over for miles can easily be blocked by an enemy. It's not incredibly expensive to do either, especially if shot at night. They can even throw in a "river monster" if they wanted to spice things up further.

It can be anything, really. The point is less the form of transportation itself than what it would do for the series. It would change the types of the stories they can tell, increase the sense of depth to the planets they travel to, add new dangers, and, if they wanted to, it would allow them to spend more time on a particular planet. Instead of a planet of the week style, they could devote more than a single episode on a planet since they'd be traveling to new locations.

That, of course, also means that they can give more time to bad guys that otherwise would have been one offs. They can, for example, run afoul of some local warlord who hunts them over a 2-3 episode arc, and that warlord can either do so for his own reasons or at the behest of some overarching villain who is trying to use this person to eliminate the SG team and will thus reoccur as a puppet master on other planets.

If they go this route, instead of a jumper type craft, I think it would be more interesting if they used drones that can't take on passengers but can be used for scouting purposes and air support in some situations.
                Last edited by Xaeden; 27 September 2020, 02:09 AM.

Comment

I hate when they were not capable of naming races. I mean why could they not drop a name? I love Stargate (maybe you have noticed it haha), but sometimes I feel it could have been even better with more characterization, bigger story plots and more detailed lore. I am aware how hard is to maintain the attention of the audience for rating and then the story can not be way too complicated as they won't understand it. Giving a name of a new race could habe been built into the conversations and that wouldn't have cost money at all. I was not really a fan of that AU race as they were not enough interestingly designed.... lke bodybuilders with borg implants. Their ships were nice, so maybe they could return as a threat from an other reality.

I really appreciate the production design when I can see how much artistic efforts were put into concept arts then into the live action series. Basically I love talented people and I can only wish I could draw like that. My friends encouraged me to write as they knon I have good

Original stories can be still written as only imagination is the limit. You have sounded like that famous scientist who once stated that everything important was aleady discovered. And look at the science how it has evolved in the last 100 years. If any of you has got story ideas then just write, write and write as it needs practice. Nobody was born as Tolkien or Rowling or GRR Martin. It sounds a bit interesting that you complain of "wall of text" then how would you read subtitles, fanfiction or even a complete novel? Maybe it is not the most exciting things what I am saying or writing, but at least I have put an effort to share my thoughts.

It is hard to sugggest anything for BW if he would read us at all. Simply we don't know what is the concept of the fourth series. Atlantis was such a huge technological jump with space gates, digital dialing, jumpers. Then Universe was based on short distance gates with ultralong ranged communication stones. Who knows what he will find out next time? I am just worried that the expectations of the audience would be too high and some people will be disappointed. I can only hope we gain more new viewers what we are losing as stargate can cover so many different tv genres (scifi, fantasy, adventure, drama, comedy, crime etc.). He also has to give a satisfying end of the existing heroes. He also has to deal with the current locations (Milky Way, the Pegasus galaxy, the Destiny). The playground could be exended to more galaxies if we could get a 5th or 6th series in time if the fourth show would be a huge success.

They should have introduced the baddies from "THE DAEDALUS VARIATIONS" instead of the Pegasus Replicators/Asurans storyline. Loose the "wratih-to-human" drug converting plot, establish more stuff about the Wraith like they've done with the Goa'ulds in SG-1, develop the Wraith backstory more and somehow mix it with the backstory of the Athosians and then just throw in the mentioned episode at the end of S3. Come S4, establish the evil AU race even more, inclusing their backstory and how it is connected to everyone and Atlantis. THAT would have given the series a power boost it needed to go movie + S6. Maybe even beyond. The AU race was brutal and it is exactly what Atlantis needed.

BW has a lot to cover with the new series, because there's even unresovled stuff from SG-1 that needs to be properly closed. The Ark of Truth and Continuum contain 20 episodes worth of storyline that's compressed to the longetivity of 2 driect-do-dvd releases. Yes, the SG-1's story is done, but the stories of the main characters is not. Atlantis is half-ended thanks to the Enemy at the Gate episode as it does offer some sort of conclusion just like the 2 SG-1 movies, just in the from of a TV episode which also contains enough storyline for 20 episodes and perhaps, even more than that. Covering SG-1 and Atlantis stuff will be easy since those two series have at least told their basic story. Universe, on the other hand, was cancelled after 40 episodes, which means it didn't even last trough the first half of the planned 100 episodes for it (since the producers havce stated that SGU was to a 5-season show and provided that each of the remaining three seasons ran for 20 episodes each).

Now, if SG-1 would have been renewed for another season, that's tht events of another 20 episodes that need to be covered. Add Atlantis "should have been" S6 + unmade Universe S3, S4 and S5, that number goes all the way up to a 100. He has to cover the events that would happen during the timeframe that corresponds with SGU's planned storyline's longetivity. So, in another words, Brad Wright does not have the right to even make a single mistake since he has to establish new characters, new plot, new storyline and mix-in the stuff from the past, which includes the stuff from all the unmade seasons/episodes. It will definitely be a big challenge for him. A challenge that NEEDS to be done RIGHT. And if it's done right, WE can definitely buy the ticket for series 5, 6, etc..
                  Last edited by Mnikolic; 27 September 2020, 03:46 AM.

Comment

KINOs were meant to be like flying drones, but it would be nice to see more real drone footage on "planets" like a new directing style. Like the camera would fly behind the team erc. But it would also mean that location shots would be more expensive.

I had such plans that they could introduce local gate networks. I mean 7 symbols are normal gate addresses, the 8th chevron is the area code, while a complete 9th chevron dialing is for special location. But what if there could be more than one stargate on the same planet? Which one gains priority (one with the updated DHD). So my idea was what if such short distances could be dialed if the 9th chevron would be used as a local area code without the 8th chevron. I hope you can follow me. So they could discover that they can dial 8 chevron addresses, but it would be within the same galaxy, but an other gate on the same planet which would normally dialed with 7 symbols. It also means that there could be 39 stargates on the same planet.

The other idea was the combination of beaming through the Stargate as part of a new Asgard update. Then the distance could be modified and there would be a new system how they could choose a zone where to land and from where to go. For example imagine a rune circle in Germany, but if they manage to dial in Earth they could arrive there even if the Iris is closed at the SGC. Hostile forces could come and go without controll which could turn into a disaster.

Third idea was that some Universe type of gates are still left behind in the galaxies when they have planted the new gates. The gates can synchronize themselves, but what if the range of an Universe gate can not reach any other "normal" stargate? Then that world would be a dead end for travellers.

Same hightech alien race has captured a gate seeding ship and they have overwritten the gate building process, so they could make their own gates. These gates would copy the glyphs and the chevron colour of then local network and completly act like part of it, but they have got ultra long range which can dial even the same gaze type from less energy even from an other galaxy. SGC would just accidentally discover these gates which are setup for an invasion as Trojan horses, so they must find who and why have placed them and they must go after them to sign a truce. Later the technology could help us to establish direct trade routes between galaxies.

I also wanted to see some Furling technology in the show. Somehow I have always connected them to the megalithic cultures. They were capable of levitating stones with their antigravity organ or technology. They could have placed additional transport devices on planets like a Stonehenge type doorways which would help the local to travel between continents. Maybe such things have existed on Earth before the Goa'uld have destroyed it.

But I also love the concept of "memory travelling" what they have done with the Midway. Theoratically we need a wormhole for quick location journies from go to A to B, but what if the gate system would change itself into a safety mode (like a Universe gate mode). So the travellers would rather travel in the gate memory as the gates are calling each other without establishing a wormhole in the process. Maybe this method would be slowlier, but you could also reach the same destination. Some stories could be still based on this event as the different stargate types (and their reckless users) will collapse the system.

Even Stargates could be used for other realities, timelines, dimensions... So there are plenty of ideas how BW could shake up things as this franchise is his child, but he should still keep the stargates in the focus.

Comment

The more I read your posts, the more I want to see more AU-based storylines. I mean, what could/would happen if the AU SGC/Atlantis would launch a rescue operation trough different dimensions to find the original crew that was on board the dimension-travelling Daedalus? What if they would encounter an expedition from OUR Atlantis? How would they react to it, to our expedition, to our SGC? What would be their backstory? Did they defeat the Goa'uld, the Ori, both versions of the Reaplicators, the Wraith, the Vanir? Did they manage to send an expedition to Destiny and how? How did the Asgard, the Tok'ra and even the Furlings look in their universe? Are they SGC's aliies or foes?

It'd be interesting to explore different versions of the same events in the same storyline or even the consequences of completely different events which are a part of the storylines we've already seen in the new spin-off. Even if it's only for a couple of episodes.

Comment

It could be interesting to see AU stories, but this is not Sliders. I love time travelling stories, but those ones have felt a cheating next to nostalgia factor. No other reality should sacrifice themselves forban uncertain reality which has no effect on them. People are not that heroic in real life. But it was so cool to see the Goa'uld Systemlords in a group who have never meet onscreen before or when Atlantis was in a desert. Wow.

We have to forget the direct continuation of SG-1/Atlantis/Universe. There won't be new seasons for them. The galaxies have lived their life in the last decade and I am sure we will hear about our heroes. It is already a miracle that BW is free and willing to develop a new Stargate tv show. The second miracle will be if it gets greenlight and it can be produced. Then the third miracle will be if it gets high audience score and rating and they will announce season 2. We have burned ourselves too many times and I would feel horrible if the fourth show won't be renewed.

So we have got 17 seasons of lore and we have at least 15-20 main characters and a few dozents of supporting characters. There would be so many nice combination to include them as main stars or guest stars.

We have also talked about a few times that the bases could never really find anything useful because it would have ruined the feeling of our current timeline. But they still had jumpers, shields, new vehicles, Asgard beaming, just most of the shiny and fancy techs were also lost or proved to be way too harmful or unuseful or unethical etc.

Comment

I wasn't talking about direct continuations of what came before. I was talking about basing the next spin-off on the one-off episodes that the writers previousely treated as concluded stuff. The main universe could still play important part in the new spin-off and in the AUs and each AU side could end up echanging knowledge and other important information. The spin-off could also re-visit the main universe every once in a while just to see what's been going on recently. It could also lead to new historical, mythological, religious, science, military and technology discoveries as some info from an AU could provide a new "main-universe" SG team with information on where to find what they're looking for.

I believe I also said "an expedition from OUR Atlantis". As in - not neccessarily the expedition that WE already know. But rahter an expedition that is dealing with their own problems/issues that differ from those that were/are dealt with by John, Teyla, Ronnon, Carson, Zelenka, Keller, etc.. Same goes for the other previous two spin-offs. We said it already - it's been 10-15+ years for most of the main characters with the SG program by now and most of them would already have their own families already. Same goes for the supporting characters. Like - imagine if Janet (the SG-1 doctor) actually survived that mission and came back alive - I don't think she would agree to keep looking at the same walls every day for the next decade and beyond.

Comment

All what you have to do is writing as it means practice, practice and practice. Your idea sounds interesting just it needs proper planning. You have to explain what our heroes do in the new reality, what has happened with the "original" heroes because of the entropy rules (are they dead?), whether they can return to our reality or not, what are their goals to achieve and what do their enemies want. And it would be lovely if it could be gate related like in the Ripple Effect as it gives a bigger scale of action instead of the mirror.
                            Last edited by Platschu; 28 September 2020, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X