Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where should Stargate SG-1 pick up if it's the branch which gets renewed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where should Stargate SG-1 pick up if it's the branch which gets renewed?

So let's hope the news of renewal is "real" this time and while Origin was a well recieved mini-series, I'm more interested in going forward from where we left instead of another Stargate origin story.

I like both SG-1 and Atlantis too. The only one branch of Stargate I disliked was SG Universe.

I would prefer if they go forward it's SG-1's story, but expanded with the story wich take place in SG Universe.

I would also like a bit of a looking back to the past for a few episodes: Like the aftermath of the Ori invasion. I would like to explore what happened to the various planets the Ori invaded. You know, to kind of explore the full scope of damage and how they dealt with and such.

I would also be OK with a mix of the shows, like one week it's SG-1, the next it's Atlantis, so both story can progress further.

What do you think about it?
    sigpicHallowed are the Ori.

We have talked about this in other threads. Epix is the streaming service of MGM. It looked like they are in negotiation to sell their library which includes all the James Bond movies and the Stargate franchise. Then Covid19 has come to our life, so nobody knows what is going on. Maybethe Netflix or Amazon are still in talk about.

Don't expect new SG-1 or Atlantis episodes. The sets are destroyed or boxed while the actors have moved on. It is not impossible to rebuild it, but this is highly unlikely. It could be done for standalone SG tv movies and maybe some actors would like to come back, but we will never see the band together. Like Jason Momoa has a huge carrier in Hollywood, so he could be a producer instead of being an actor, but I doubt it he would like to be involved.

I believe the future of Stargate is a new live-action spinoff. New heroes, new enemies, new discoveries while the old characters could still make guest appearances. Everybody has got different ideas (for example I would like to see a new gate system like we had one in previous SG shows. Hopefully Brad Wright is still in talk about a new show, but it won't happen until MGM's decision about thh future. Fater that only the budget is the limit what the new owner / investor can provide. It can be a mini series or maybe a shorter season, but nobody knows anything sure.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Whatever comes out will be so different that it's better off just to make it a separate thing. So instead of alternating between SG-1 and Atlantis, we get a show that can cover the aftermath of both.

But let's say it is SG-1 that gets a new season...I actually don't know. Exploration is a must. And PLEASE give us likable characters. Up until S2 of SGU, I did not care about anyone except Eli and Chloe. I would like something a little different than the generic all powerful evil formula. And if it is an all powerful evil, no more false gods medieval civilizations laser sticks. We've already done that twice. Some world building would be nice. Seeing different jaffa sub culture. Seeing the extent of Goa'uld technology. And they keep saying that the Goa'uld have wiped out all other advanced civilizations, let's see some ruins. Give us some proper aliens.

sigpic
      Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
      https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

MGM leads 2020 media acquisition targets as the entertainment world splits into haves and have-nots

PUBLISHED SUN, JAN 26 202, 09:01 AM EST -- PRE-COVID

You know what that article tells me... that Stargate ain't coming back, not as long as those hedgefund-groups are in control of MGM, and haven't made up their minds about who to sell to or if they want to sell.

Besides, MGM owns the franchise but it's a production company bringing in the funds that has to pitch the idea to the mother company. Remember it was the Gekko Film Coorperation with Michael Greenburg and Richard Dean Anderson at the helm, who produced Stargate SG-1. It was first broadcast on Showtime, and then later moved to the Syfy Channel who continued it for another 5 seasons, and got them 2 spin-offs.

Stargate Origins' production company was Vanishing Angle, with input from Legendary M. Mercedes Bryce Morgan was both director and executive producer -- the person who brings in the cash.

Every event where SGO had meet & greets, or special events organized, they were always through Legendary M, never through MGM.

Anywho... if there's ever a new Stargate... I want it to start fresh with new heroes, new worlds, new enemies, new stories. I don't want a reboot where they ignore everything that came before, but I don't need the old crew there to remind us of what once was. Let a new generation discover Stargate like we once did SG-1, Atlantis, SGU and SGO (and maybe Infinity).
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
          Besides, MGM owns the franchise but it's a production company bringing in the funds that has to pitch the idea to the mother company. Remember it was the Gekko Film Coorperation with Michael Greenburg and Richard Dean Anderson at the helm, who produced Stargate SG-1. It was first broadcast on Showtime, and then later moved to the Syfy Channel who continued it for another 5 seasons, and got them 2 spin-offs.
          There are a lot of different production companies at different levels and only some of them sometimes contribute funding to what they're working on. Production companies are the foundation of the studio system. Many are owned or under contract with a larger studio. Some of the larger production companies have money to fund or contribute funding to a show, and can either pitch project ideas to a studio that they work with or have ideas pitched to them. J.J. Abrams' Bad Robot is an example of a large, multi-faceted production company.

Many of the smaller production companies do not contribute funding to a project and rarely pitch projects. Even many of the larger ones get funding from a studio or separate financing companies. A very small number actually finance anything themselves, and if they finance one thing, it doesn't mean they finance everything they work on. For example, Bad Robot may contribute financing in some cases, but they don't put any money into the Star Trek or Star Wars films their names are attached to.

Production companies are often run by a director or producer (some actors also produce). They typically budget the money provided by a studio, financing company, individual, and/or network, and oversee scripts, schedules, staff, location scouting, sourcing equipment, post-production, etc. Who to hire/fire for a particular production is complicated. Producers, directors, and casting directors have varying levels of say in the cast and crew who get hired. Some decisions may be at an individual's purview, others may involve these people deciding together. Studios and networks rarely involve themselves in most hiring decisions, but they do have final say and do very frequently involve themselves in some of the bigger decisions (e.g. the main cast). Distribution and marketing also may be handled by the production company, but more often it's done by the studio or an outside distribution company that the studio works with.

In the case of "Stargate: Sg-1," MGM put together two writers who pitched a TV show version of Stargate to them, consistently financed a large chunk of the show's budget (the network paid for 2/3rds, and MGM kicked in 1/3rd, which is a lot in these situations), and approved the initial hiring. After Richard Dean Anderson was brought on, they entered into an agreement to let his production company manage much of the day-to-day things described above, but Gekko Film Corporation did not finance the show, nor did they distribute or market it.

If there was not an existing production company among those initially hired onto Sg-1, someone (the creators, probably) would have started one or an outside production company would have been brought in. Most production companies are very small and run by less than a handful of individuals. They may disappear at the end of the production they were formed to work on, or be used only for the projects of a single director/producer (which is not to say that they won't work on something if there's another production company involved).

MGM has long outsourced distribution to other companies. They often work with United Artists Releasing for domestic distribution, but in 2017 they started sharing distribution expenses with another company on select projects for the first time in a very long time. They have also been co-financing many of their bigger projects, not with production companies, but with other studios. They were doing that before their bankruptcy ("The Hobbit" series, for example, was setup to be co-financed in partnership with Warner Bros. before all that went down), but they're much more careful about trying to find co-financing now than they were before.

I don't know how Vanishing Angle ended up being the production company for "Stargate: Origins" (maybe they pitched the idea, but more likely MGM picked them since Origins was made to coincide with the launch of Stargate Command), but just because their name is there does not mean they contributed any financing to the project. In fact, it's extremely unlikely that they did since most production companies only have money coming in when they're being given it by a studio or another source for a particular project.
          Last edited by Xaeden; 17 August 2020, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
            I don't know how Vanishing Angle ended up being the production company for "Stargate: Origins" (maybe they pitched the idea, but more likely MGM picked them since Origins was made to coincide with the launch of Stargate Command), but just because their name is there does not mean they contributed any financing to the project. In fact, it's extremely unlikely that they did since most production companies only have money coming in when they're being given it by a studio or another source for a particular project.
            Stargate Command was build around origins, not the other way around... and also disappeared when Origins ran its course.

And they contributed financially considering the producers of Origins are owners of Vanishing Angle.

And correction, it's Legion M, not Legendary... My mistake. They also no longer have any reference to Stargate Origins in their database. At least, not anywhere where I can find it.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Stargate Command was build around origins, not the other way around... and also disappeared when Origins ran its course.
              I'm not sure why you think MGM built a whole streaming service just to release a million dollar short, rather than commissioned a short to promote the launch of their service.

And they contributed financially considering the producers of Origins are owners of Vanishing Angle.
              A producer credit means a lot of different things. Sometimes a money person is given a producer credit, but when a studio or outside source finances a project, at least one of the producers is someone who secured the funding and/or managed it. The rest are people who are involved in development, pre-production post-production, and/or the various day-to-day things I described in my above post related to the actual production. The person in charge of money may also do some or all of that work.

Matt Miller is the sole owner of Vanishing Angle (https://vanishingangle.com/team). He is credited on Origins only as "producer."

The film has two executive producers listed and one executive in charge of production. One of them is director Mercedes Bryce Morgan. Contrary to your previous comment that this means she brought in the cash, she was not a Vanishing Angle employee, but a freelance director who was brought in to present a pitch to MGM that expanded on the broad idea they already had. They gave her an executive producer credit because of her contribution to the technical work done for the film.

In her own words:

And so for Stargate I was put on this list of directors that they wanted to have pitch. And I was told, “OK, you have two days to make an initial pitch deck. And you need to put all your ideas and how you would do it into a deck, and we will send it off. And if they like it then we’ll bring you to the next round where you go and pitch in the room with MGM.”

I had like a two-page rough outline … which also changed drastically. So I knew that it was a Catherine Langford story, and I knew kind of the general idea of what they wanted to do with it. But it was very open-ended. And so taking that, what I like to do when I pitch is find out what the theme is, because theme influences everything else — and say, “OK, here’s how the theme influences characters and character arcs and location and design and all that.”

And so I did that. I was brought into the room to pitch. And I was told one of the reasons why Sam Toles and the other people MGM like my pitch is I tried to make it Stargate and not something else. Because a lot of people came in and were like, “What if we make it more like Star Wars, or Star Trek, or this sci-fi?” And I’m like, “No, this is what people like about Stargate — is combining this historical tone with sci-fi. And also that it still can have a sense of humor without being too serious.”

And so that’s what I was told led them to choose my pitch.

So the writers were brought on at the same time that I was. And so what was kind of crazy is our pre-production overlapped with them writing. We were working on outlines off of pre-production in the very beginning. And then we started working off the scripts.

You can also read about the influence MGM exerted over her here: https://www.gateworld.net/news/2018/...-bryce-morgan/

The executive in charge of production was then MGM employee Sam Toles. When listed separately from executive producers, it's usually because this person oversees the budget and makes sure everything runs smoothly and on time. The second executive producer is Sarah Malkin, then Vice President of New Form Entertainment, a separate production company who co-produced the project with MGM and appears to have put some money in as several of their people are credited with accounting roles:

Sr. Director, Production Accounting (New Form) - Claudia Castillo
              Manager, Production Accounting (New Form) - Steve Grest
              Coordinator, Accounting (New Form) - Jacqui Dulaney

Vanishing Angle is credited with providing "Post Production Services." In the above interview, the director only mentioned Vanishing Angle when talking about pre and post production, and the person mentioned below intends to only use them for post production and distribution (her company handles everything else, including coming up with and managing the money).

Here's a forthcoming Vanishing Angle film: https://wefunder.com/seeyouthenfilm In this case, the director crowd funded the money and contracted with Vanishing Angle for her and her company to work out of their offices and distribute the film. In exchange, Matt Miller, owner of Vanishing Angle, got an executive producer credit even though he is not financing the film and, in fact, money that Vanishing Angle gave her in the past was a loan that she had to pay back.

It's only possible to know what an executive producer or producer credit means to an individual project in broad strokes unless an insider spells it out in an interview. It could mean they funded it themselves, they secured funding from an outside source, are managing the money provided by their employer/third party, worked on various aspects of production, or had next to no involvement in anything and are involved in name only. On Sg-1, the following people had executive producer credits at one point or another: Jonathan Glassner, Brad Wright, Robert C. Cooper, Joseph Mallozzi, Paul Mullie, Richard Dean Anderson, Michael Greenburg. These are the writers of show, the star, and RDA's long term production partner who also did some writing on Sg-1. None of these people paid for the show.
              Last edited by Xaeden; 18 August 2020, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Anywho... if there's ever a new Stargate... I want it to start fresh with new heroes, new worlds, new enemies, new stories. I don't want a reboot where they ignore everything that came before, but I don't need the old crew there to remind us of what once was. Let a new generation discover Stargate like we once did SG-1, Atlantis, SGU and SGO (and maybe Infinity).
                I'm fine if they go with a brand new cast.

But at the very least I'd like them to close up the cliffhanger they left Universe on or at the very least make a mention that they had some magical piece of technology that got them home.

Comment

Origins was a well received miniseries?

Comment

Originally posted by mooseman View Post
                    Where you could get it and if you liked the prequal back hopping vibe I guess........
                    Maybe???

It might have been a good series, if you were ALLOWED to watch it, but it was crap even when you were not.

Sorry MGM, my money is geo-blocked from giving it to you.
                    Good plan!!
                    sigpic
                    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by mooseman View Post
                      Amusingly, there was an article that popped up on my newsfeed a few days ago about Origins, and even though the main point was to tell people how they could watch the miniseries, the author first said this...
                      "The most recent entry proved to a disappointment to many, with Stargate Origins acting as a prequel to the saga."

And then went on to list a couple of its flaws before ending with a paragraph saying you can rent or buy it from as little as $3.99 on YouTube, Google Play, etc.

https://screenrant.com/stargate-orig...ix-hulu-prime/

Comment

I think the new spin-off should start its own plot and story, but set within the SG-1/SGA/SGU universe. New main characters, new recurring & guest characers, new villains, new danger and for God's sake, let the new SG team guys figure out stuff for themselves. You know, have the plot of the SG team reports by the SG-1/Atlantis/Destiny guys gone missing or something...

Of course, as the show goes on and as the new show's plot, characters and overall story all develop, work in what came before, but slowly so it doesn't disturb the development of the new story, however, have it indirectly affect the new show and then, once a big storyline comes along, reveal even more stuff from the past - not for the sake of revisiting old storylines/fanservice, but for the sake of advancing the new one(s). In other words - come back to a story from the past briefly so the new story is properly advanced. Then, work in old allies & villains who just happen to cross paths with the new SG teams, but keep the focus on the new villains and new people, while dealng with stuff from the past in a minimal way, on the side.
                        Maybe have someone from the original three shows come back to resolve something that they've already resovled themselves in the past and have them actually teach the new SG teams members something new. Maybe one episode deals with the new SG team having to get this magic device working and so, enter Daniel/Sam/McKay/Zelenka/Rush/Camile (whoever they are able to get back), have them help out and out they go. Two-three camoes per season (if a 10-15 episodes-long season, then just one) - if a multi-season storyline, so not everyone gets to come back so the new people actually get to shine and kick some ass.
                        Last edited by Mnikolic; 27 August 2020, 05:42 AM.

Comment

IDK. I guess I'm still a bit hung up on the past. SG-1 was kind of resolved. Doubly so after they tucked in that last 2 seasons that followed the season 8 finale.
                          However, Atlantis is pretty much unresolved. I mean the Wraith are still at large in the Pegasus Galaxy. If they find just one ZPM they can do serious damage as shown in Enemy at the gate. Granted there they had 3 ZPMs, but just 1 could be used to great effect.
                          I mean they basically know where Earth is now. I don't believe that ship was the only one who got that transmision from the other reality. There could be others who recieved it that the Atlantis team didn't know about. Or the Hive that recieved it could have sent it elsewhere or saved it in a secret database. It's possible they just haven't been able to act on their plans because they lack the ZPMs or other sufficiently powerful power supplies.
                          Even the show creators wanted to go back to the Pegasus galaxy with the cancelled Extinction movie.
                          So what they could do is to go back to Atlantis with a new team and have the "old" actors do cameos if they want to. I mean sure, there are some who obviously would not come back to TV, like Momoa, but actors like David Hewlett, Tapping, Christopher Judge or even RDA might want to contribute one or two guest episodes.
                          I actually like Mnikolic's idea with a little addition. Defeat the Wraith first then add new enemies. I mean they could start the new series in a timeline where they already defeated them, but they still had to eventually tell how they did it. So why not just show it? I mean one or two episodes worth of How they won could greatly help estabilish the new storyline as well.
                          As for the actors who could not or would not want to revisit their roles for just the sake of it, they could just do a recast or write them out of the story.

OK. Well, I pretty much see this topic as concluded.

I will create a new topic of: What would be your choice of bad guys/race/people to act as the main antagonist in a possible continuation/revisit/new era storyline of the Stargate series?
                          sigpicHallowed are the Ori.

Comment

@Peterking72

Actually if the books are considered canon then Atlantis was more or less concluded with a supposed season 6/7?

It covers the final fate of the Vanir and the concluding war between the Atlantis expedition and the Wraith leading to how the Pegasus galaxy ended up.

Comment

Where could I get perhaps an online version of that book?

Comment

Working...
                              X