Stargate and Patreon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
    Except, there is no commercial gain with this. Or at least, it's not obvious enough to clearly say it's infringing, as this deals with donations instead of paying for access to the videos.
    Making 5 bucks a week is barely commercial gain, but it does classify that way. However, MGM isn't Disney and hardly bothered by small numbers.

I'm fairly certain they give a flying fig about it.

However, if you want to make serious content, a license is always best. Or at least, check with the license holder how far one can go without having to give up their first born, or get into trouble.

Where this guys isn't going -- he's just a fan doing fan-things, like so many others.

Edit

I just had a thought -- I think people creating music videos break more copyright licenses than he does cause we're using clips and music that doesn't belong to us. Then again, YT does mute music if it's in violation (as has happened to some of my videos -- music by Within Temptation)
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      The only company I actively know to take issue with replica props and costumes being sold for profit is Disney.
      IIRC, FOX put the boot down on folks making and selling “Jayne hats” from Firefly.
      But that was only after a company bought the license to make them. Before that they DGAF.

Comment

Originally posted by mooseman View Post
        IIRC, FOX put the boot down on folks making and selling “Jayne hats” from Firefly.
        But that was only after a company bought the license to make them. Before that they DGAF.
        Oh right, yeah... vaguely remember that one. Now that you mention it...

My best friend's mom made one for us, back then. Wore it at my first Serenity event in the UK. Remember the whole lot being jealous.

Comment

Almost any company is going make you stop once you try to make a profit
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            Almost any company is going make you stop once you try to make a profit
            Most don't give a flying fig if that profit is barely enough to cover production costs.

Also, if you can manage flying under the radar, you can get away with a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
              Thank you.

If you have read the opening post, my tone was neutral. First, I really enjoy his videos and I wanted to advertise it here if it was not obvious.

Second, I still believe it is beyond the fair use if you put up complete, unedited episode reactions for money. I don't agree with it. It is not just about him, I was talking in general about the whole Patreon. It is different when somebody ask financial support for his/her own creative work (like art, props, fan montagues, essays etc.), but it feels like crossing a borderline. Then they have explained MGM is not interested anyway as this little income is just enough to cover his costs. So I have apologised not even once here, but I do it again as maybe I have overreacted it. Sorry.

P.S.: Watch his videos as they are really funny how he is getting into the SG lore step by step.
              I owe you an apology - after reading through this thread, I think that I must have replied & reacted to someone's negative reply without reading your original post first??? so I did not have the proper context.

I had the wrong impression - my bad! I had the wrong impression, and my reply was very unfair. I completely understand - and you were not being critical, you were just giving your honest opinion of the situation,0and were asking others what they thought - there is nothing wrong with that.

Again, I apologize.

Comment

Working...
              X