Stargate vs Borg question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate vs Borg question

I've read quite a few discussions pertaining to this topic.

In the counter argument, it's been highly noted that Borg will eventually adapt to any technology used against them. But as shown in two different cases that's not completely true. As with the case of Species 8472, they can't understand what they don't assimilate. In the final episode of Voyager, they had trouble adapting to technology that was 20ish years more advanced then the modern Federation until they assimilated Admiral Janeway and her shuttle.

So in regards to Asgard and Ancient technology, it's completely foreign to the Borg as it's not based on anything they know. Unless they assimilate a sample of it, a lot of their ships are going to get sunk. They are not like the Replicators as they seem more intuitive coming up with technology that even Asgard are able to understand.

But the key piece of technology that I always wonder to why it was never brought up in discussion is why not use the anti-replicator weapon? What binds the Borg as a collective are essentially the nanites in their bodies. Shut those down, the drones aboard the ship will either die or be free.

In the SG shows, the Replicators were only able to adapt because they had time to study the technology directly. The Asurans only adapted because it was based off technology they were familiar with.

It's a difficult one. I recall engaging in a lot of debate on similar stuff on this very forum. I'm of the view that SG tech is more powerful than ST tech, but arguments can be made either way.

One thing is certain. Any merger of the Borg and the Replicators, whoever wins, would become more dangerous than the sum of its parts.
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield- Tennyson
    http://darthtimon.wix.com/meerkatmusings
    http://meerkatmusings.co.uk/

Comment

Replicators would definitely beat the Borg because of one key problem that has been heavily discussed.

Borg are heavily dependent on biological hosts to propagate their numbers while Replicators are not. If Replicators manage to infest a Borg cube then what happens next is just a matter of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Rohan View Post
        Replicators would definitely beat the Borg because of one key problem that has been heavily discussed.

Borg are heavily dependent on biological hosts to propagate their numbers while Replicators are not. If Replicators manage to infest a Borg cube then what happens next is just a matter of time.
        I'm inclined to agree with you, though in the past there would be a hearty debate on this kind of subject (the Trek vs Gate ships thread got pretty bloated!).
        To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield- Tennyson
        http://darthtimon.wix.com/meerkatmusings
        http://meerkatmusings.co.uk/

Comment

I believe I was a part of that thread on the Gaters side. Borg Assimilate biological stuff with technology while Replicators learn the technology and also "eat" stuff to create their own version of it. That's why they are more fast to adapt. They are not just learn a technology and update it only if a need arise, once they learn stuff they keep it up to date and advance it constantly. Replicators are immortal and if there is enough neutronium or they are able to salvage "deceased" replicators they never run out of stuff to make more Replicators, while Borg have to infest new hosts to supply their fleshy parts and biological parts are harder to maintain than nanite cells.
          also if there is a Queen bug Replicator it can salvage any metal or alloy to make new replicators which can over time advance to human form Replicators. Or they can just obtain tech to create human form Replicators in the first place.

The Stargate vs. the Borg question also heavily depends on which era they meet in the respective shows timeline. For example if the Borg arrive after we defeat the Replicators in both the Milky Way and the Pegasus galaxy, then we can only rely on Asgard and Ancient technology combined with our own. There can be always an argument to do the same stunt the IOA pulled in Ark of Truth and create a replicator to battle the Borg, but I think they learned from that mistake and not too fond of repeating it. If they did they had to defeat 2 enemies essentially or deal with whichever came out winning the war. In either case whichever party wins the war (Replicator or Borg) it comes out stronger than it was before and would be much harder to defeat.
          In case they team up, we are screwed.
          BTW anti-beaming tech would go a long way to prevent Borg infestation of ships.

If we could find a species similar to Species 8472 in the Stargate universe, then we would have a good chance.

Asgard laser appears to be strong as well.

In a Worst Case Scenario we could just ascend. LOL. Though I'm not sure if the Borg can't do the same. If they retain their soul after becoming Borg or figure it out how to do it with technology, then maybe. Although the Atlantis episode Ghost in the machine shows that machine ascension is not the same as human or biological/spiritual ascension and that existing in that form is very hard for them. Plus they are not on the same plane of existence as Ascended humans or Ancients, so they can't harm each other.
          sigpicHallowed are the Ori.

Comment

Originally posted by Peterking72 View Post
            Asgard laser appears to be strong as well.
            But no one has ever brought up the use of the anti-replicator weapon. Wouldn't such a thing completely wreck the Borg?

The replicators needed to the study the weapon directly in order to be immune to it.

The Asurans were familiar with it as it was based on Ancient technology. Thus it took a short time for them to adapt.

Comment

I think Borg nanites are different and not necessarily susceptible to anti-replicator tech.

Comment

Originally posted by Peterking72 View Post
                I think Borg nanites are different and not necessarily susceptible to anti-replicator tech.
                The anti-replicator weapon works by disrupting communication between the individual nanites rendering them inert. I have no reason to think it wouldn't work.

Comment

Yes, but the Borg nanites are not responsible for making up the entire body of a Borg drone like in the case of a replicator. If you hit a replicator it falls apart because it is made up entirely from nanites. Borgs are human and other species mixed with cybernetic prosthetes and enhancements. The nanites are inside their body, in the blood stream. So even if the anti repli gun worked on them, you would still have a capable Borg soldier on your hand. The only thing he couldn't do to you is infect you with the nanites, but you would still have to fight it.

Comment

Working...
                  X