Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did PAL (region 2) DVDs get thier own transfer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did PAL (region 2) DVDs get thier own transfer?

Does anyone have information on weather the PAL DVDs were converted from NTSC or if a PAL scan was made of the film?

I am considering buying the PAL format DVDs from the UK because PAL offers higher resolution than NTSC and I've got the experience to restore them to ~24 fps. But I understand that many (if not most) North American TV shows are simply 'converted' from NTSC rather than getting an original PAL scan of the footage. I found only a single post that made this claim for SG-1 (that it was converted rather than getting an original scan from the film). For other series, such as Star Trek Voyager and DS9, it seems to be common knowledge that a conversion was done.

Also curious if there's much censorship on the overseas DVDs.

Thank you

I have never heard of this before. I have the "silver boxes" of SG-1 (Benelux), and nothing looks like an NTSC transfer to me. Sure there's noise in most of the earlier seasons, which gets gradually better, but this was present in the broadcast as well as far as I remember. Later seasons, especially those originally filmed in HD (SG-1 S8-10, Atlantis, and SGU) are clean.

I don't know if you mean anything specific with censorship, since to my knowledge only the syndicated version of the pilot had the nude scene cut. All home releases should be unedited. And some episodes that have a longer runtime ("Threads" for example) are shown in full, as opposed to the shortened TV version, as well as some two-parters being merged.

Comment

Also, the episode order on the silver boxes is sometimes out of whack... as I learn again in my current rewatch.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        Also, the episode order on the silver boxes is sometimes out of whack... as I learn again in my current rewatch.
        Such as? As far as I remember there's only one case, and it's not causing any trouble with continuity. It's also possible the "official" order (usually based on the order in which they were shown on TV) is incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
          Such as? As far as I remember there's only one case, and it's not causing any trouble with continuity. It's also possible the "official" order (usually based on the order in which they were shown on TV) is incorrect.
          Season 8 -- Citizen Joe is out of order.

And there's definitely another one in a different season but can't remember which, too long ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            Season 8 -- Citizen Joe is out of order.

And there's definitely another one in a different season but can't remember which, too long ago.
            That's the one I also remember, I think.

Comment

I have the complete box set in Pal 2, got adjusted a bit to fit today's screen format though the quality of the content still looks like on TV back then when it was on there

About censoring I cannot say anything as they are the same as they have been when I watched them

Comment

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
                That's the one I also remember, I think.
                Prometheus Unbound is also out of order.

Comment

Working...
                X