How can a Puddle Jumper sink?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can a Puddle Jumper sink?

I love this show but the science behind Grace Under Pressure is off.

If a Puddle Jumper is 8m x 4.7m with a tapered nose, the cylinder displaces 103 metric tons of water. Even if the shell is 100% **solid** gold (it's not), the ship still could not sink.

The depth increases pressure which displaces more water making this scenario even more implausible.

Originally posted by QuaySith View Post
    I love this show but the science behind Grace Under Pressure is off.

If a Puddle Jumper is 8m x 4.7m with a tapered nose, the cylinder displaces 103 metric tons of water. Even if the shell is 100% **solid** gold (it's not), the ship still could not sink.

The depth increases pressure which displaces more water making this scenario even more implausible.
    That's "Titanic" thinking.

Comment

If I remember well the ship was slowly losing air as the water was coming up in the puddle jumper, so the sealing must have been broken at the splash to the surface. And they have lost the first section of the jumper anyway so that part must have been filled with water already.

Other explanation is that Rodney's ego is so big and concentrated that it was interfering with the whales' frequency which increased the gravity around him. So basically I have no idea but imagine a techno blablabla.

Third explanation is the writers were lazy and this is just a tv show.
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Working...
      X