Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to StargateWraithFan's Wordpress site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened to StargateWraithFan's Wordpress site?

There was a lot of Wraith art on it, but when I went to visit the site today, I got a 404 error. Why did it shut down? When will it ever be online again?

@WraithTech: If you're the artist, please give me a new link to your art website, and a reason why it was closed; otherwise, ignore this. I remember you posting a Photobucket album link a while ago, and it had "StargateWraithFan" in the URL.

Greetings. I’m not active online much these days; however, I can’t resist answering a query such as yours with a rare compound sentence in it.

For my fan art, think of it as ‘retired. ’ It is not to be redistributed, for reasons I prefer to keep private with the moderators, involving corporations. But, there are still a lot of great Stargate fan art galleries out there, including some newer artists whose galleries are still growing.

For the SGA photo collection of costumes, props, behind-the-scenes, etc., it was triple zatted by Photobucket staff, making WordPress links to them useless. I won’t say how/why it was deleted in case someone tries to do it to other Stargate accounts, but I am not the first Gater to lose a Photobucket account. I don't plan on re-uploading the 6,000+ photos only to have one person bring them all down again and/or for sites to keep reducing their storage limits and monthly bandwidth limits. That was the third and final time.

Thanks for thinking of my old site. I still love Stargate and the site had its run over the years. I would like for this all to be water under the bridge and to just enjoy other peoples' art and sites.

Best regards, WraithTech
    Last edited by WraithTech; 17 June 2020, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithTech View Post
      Greetings. I’m not active online much these days; however, I can’t resist answering a query such as yours with a rare compound sentence in it.

For my fan art, think of it as ‘retired. ’ It is not to be redistributed, for reasons I prefer to keep private with the moderators, involving corporations. But, there are still a lot of great Stargate fan art galleries out there, including some newer artists whose galleries are still growing.

For the SGA photo collection of costumes, props, behind-the-scenes, etc., it was triple zatted by Photobucket staff, making WordPress links to them useless. I won’t say how/why it was deleted in case someone tries to do it to other Stargate accounts, but I am not the first Gater to lose a Photobucket account. I don't plan on re-uploading the 6,000+ photos only to have one person bring them all down again and/or for sites to keep reducing their storage limits and monthly bandwidth limits. That was the third and final time.

Thanks for thinking of my old site. I still love Stargate and the site had its run over the years. I would like for this all to be water under the bridge and to just enjoy other peoples' art and sites.

Best regards, WraithTech
      Hey I've got to say in the short time that I've been a fan of Stargate Atlantis, I grew to really enjoy your site. You're a spectacular artist and it was always a variable feast for the eyes to view your art gallery. Ironically it was your art that held the least appeal to me personally. I really went there for you blog posts in defense of Wraith, your fan theories, the props and behind the scenes stuff and especially your fanfiction. I loved that you the focus of most of your fics dealt primarily with Wraith and natives of the Pegasus galaxy, part of why I'm obsessed with SGA, is it's setting there was so much they could have done with it that they didn't do. It was awesome to see a fan carving out stories from all that martial that was left mostly in the background in the actual show. I was so devestated to see that your site was wiped clean, I was in the middle of binging your wonderful fics when the quarantine had started.

With that being said I have two question for you if you'd be so gracious as to answer them. 1.) Are you planning on posting your fan fiction else where? 2.)I think it's a loss to the fandom and especially Wraith fans which are few and far between now, (It really blows to come into the fandom late) to have lost all those pics that originally were property of MGM. I was wondering if you'd be willing to give them to someone else if they are willing to put them up on the internet? There are other sites that can take the brunt of an amateur attack by a loser with no life.

Comment

Hello, I am happy you enjoyed the site. Thanks for the kind words. To answer your questions:

My fanfics are also retired and won’t be reposted. I have regrets, because I feel sad when I see other Stargate authors and artists disappear over the years, to most of whom I never get to say goodbye. For reasons I can’t get into, I’ve taken a step back from the internet in general. Back when I made most of my fanart and fanfics, the world and the fandom were a different place. But, as with visual fan art, there are still a handful of active Wraith-focused fanfic authors out there-- please give them lots of support!

I live in a rural area lacking high-speed internet access, replete with landline phones. What limited online bandwidth I have is being used up household members by working from home due to the quarantine. Setting up the WordPress site alone took a full month, pre-Covid. Sending big files or many files isn’t feasible right now. If there are a few behind-the-scenes photos you were looking for in particular, I can upload a few of them via temporary MediaFire links and PM them to you.

Comment

Hello, I am happy you enjoyed the site. Thanks for the kind words. To answer your questions:

My fanfics are also retired and won’t be reposted. I have regrets, because I feel sad when I see other Stargate authors and artists disappear over the years, to most of whom I never get to say goodbye. For reasons I can’t get into, I’ve taken a step back from the internet in general. Back when I made most of my fanart and fanfics, the world and the fandom were a different place. But, as with visual fan art, there are still a handful of active Wraith-focused fanfic authors out there-- please give them lots of support!
          Well I am sad to hear that but it's your right to do so, at the end of the day you needn't regret anything I'm sure you had fun and that's what important and a fandom, plus you can always change your mind (or not) but the matter will always remain reversible. My regret is that I didn't discover this fandom at or nearer to it's golden age. Oh and believe me I absolutely do support them whenever I find them, and I intend to make some contributions of my own. But truth be told the pickings are more slim then they appear to be at first glance.

I live in a rural area lacking high-speed internet access, replete with landline phones. What limited online bandwidth I have is being used up household members by working from home due to the quarantine. Setting up the WordPress site alone took a full month, pre-Covid. Sending big files or many files isn’t feasible right now. If there are a few behind-the-scenes photos you were looking for in particular, I can upload a few of them via temporary MediaFire links and PM them to you.
          I see aside from the slow internet, I envy you with the world in the state it's in a rural area is an ideal place to be. Dam I'm unable to PM you. I think it might be because I'm a probie?

Comment

You might be right about probie limits on PMs. It might also be on my end: because I don't post much here this year, my account is half shut down with limits on PMs. I can post the photo links here, instead, though, if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ohmy Desalad View Post
              I think it might be because I'm a probie?
              I found this link for you that explains new member posts.
              https://forum.gateworld.net/threads/...-(for-newbies)

Comment

@ScifigirlSG, have you seen any updates about all the behind-the-scenes footage Joe sent to MGM last April?

(Edit: To clarify for newer readers, I meant last year, April of 2019, when Joe mailed the footage.)
                Last edited by WraithTech; 26 June 2020, 12:13 PM.

Comment

No. Lately he's been showing BTS from Dark Matter on his blog. I wasn't aware he did that or he would've mentioned it on his blog. He's been on a roll on Twitter making tweets about people he worked with on Stargate and Dark Matter. He's currently working on a new scifi show called TimeScape but it's not in production yet.

Comment

OK, thanks for the update on Joe's projects! Good for him.

Comment

Originally posted by ScifigirlSG View Post
                      I found this link for you that explains new member posts.
                      https://forum.gateworld.net/threads/...-(for-newbies)
                      Thanks for the info, I see I've got 10 more post after this one to escape Probie-hood. It's also useful although a little saddening that as of yet I don't have enough 'clout' to actually give meaningful rep. I guess I'll withhold giving rep until I get a higher post count. But I can receive and reply to Pms.

Comment

@WraithTech: I know it's been a while, but could you please PM me your whole collection, or re-upload it somewhere? I see no reason to keep your art gallery offline permanently. A lot of people want to see your artwork, not just me.

Comment

Originally posted by Stargate38 View Post
                          @WraithTech: I know it's been a while, but could you please PM me your whole collection, or re-upload it somewhere? I see no reason to keep your art gallery offline permanently. A lot of people want to see your artwork, not just me.
                          Your encouragement and love of art is appreciated. Unfortunately, if my artwork were to be posted again, corporations would just steal it again, as they did to me multiple times and to other Stargate artists too. Sometimes, a few bad apples really do ruin it for the bunch. Especially when corporations steal, it causes messes and misunderstandings and I am thankful to GateWorld and some other fan-operated sites for not re-posting the plagiarism. My works remain a private collection and I don’t want them being uploaded anywhere. Please continue supporting the other artists who still post their work in these uncertain times and let them know their works are appreciated. I will send you a private message with links to some delightful, Stargate-themed galleries. Your private message folder might be turned off though.

Comment

Working...
                          X