Bringing back and continuing Star Trek: Enterprise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
    No tv network / streaming service etc is going to resurrect something that was cancelled... How many times has that been a success story? Versus simply making a new series...
    Well, there was that time when the Sci Fi channel resurrected a program Showtime canceled, and it went on to have 5 more seasons and two spin-offs.

Spoiler:
    Granted, a totally different situation than bringing something back years later, but your phrasing amused me given the site we're on.
    Last edited by Xaeden; 19 January 2021, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
      Well, there was that time when the Sci Fi channel resurrected a program Showtime canceled, and it went on to have 5 more seasons and two spin-offs.

Spoiler:
      Granted, a totally different situation than bringing something back years later, but your phrasing amused me given the site we're on.

"Benefit" of watching the show from Australia - I had no idea that SG1 had a change of network!

I did consider my words as I typed them... the only example that came to mind was Neighbours (speaking of Aussie...), which started on 1 network, was cancelled after 1 season, picked up by another network, and is still going nearly 40 years later...

Buffy changed networks... but again, it was "continuous"...

Firefly got a movie to close it off, but was exceptional!

If you'd told me a few years ago that Patrick Stewart was going to reprise Captain Picard in a new series, I'd have said - Yeah, I believe you. It was always feasible due to TNG's place in Trek history, and television history itself - It was a BIG deal, and Stewart a great stand-out actor amongst a great ensemble cast.

I could even picture a once-off (tv) move for DS9, because it has the station and crew (however many you can round up), and you could easily set a good story around it - namely Sisko's return.

Voyager however - there's no reason for the characters to have remained together, and Janeway/Mulgrew wasn't strong enough to carry a reboot/special on her own.

As for Enterprise... Bakula obviously can carry a show - he's lead 3 of them in his career. But Archer isn't a strong character, and Enterprise really was more of a paint-by-numbers Star Trek series.

Sorry, honestly I am... when I got to the end of S4 just last year, I would have watched more if there'd been more... but no one's gonna pay $9m per episode to see Archer and his crew - 15 years older - in a setting that's now essentially been taken over by Discovery.
      back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
      "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
      "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
      and lots more!

Comment

Canceled shows have been getting picked up by other networks since just about the inception of television. One of the most famous examples from the 1950s is Leave It To Beaver, which was axed by CBS after its first season and then picked up by ABC where it ran for another 5 seasons.

In the modern era, you have shows like Brooklyn Nine-Nine, which was canceled by Fox after season 5, picked up by NBC and is gearing up to release its eight season later this year. You also have such shows as...

The Expanse - Canceled by the Sci Fi channel after 3 seasons and is set to debut its 6th and last season next year.
        The Game - Got 9 total seasons thanks to being picked up by BET after the CW canceled it after the third season.
        The Mindy Project - Got 3 more seasons on Hulu after being canceled by Fox.
        Southland - Canceled by NBC after 1 season, picked up by TNT for four more.

There are additionally a ton that get picked up for only 1-2 extra seasons like Cougar Town, One Day at a Time, Designated Survivor, Lucifer, Nashville, Scrubs, etc.

There are other programs that might very well have been picked up by another network if not for an exclusivity clause. For example, Netflix's contract with Disney prevents Disney from airing new seasons of Daredevil, Jessica Jones, etc., elsewhere until 2 years after they were canceled. The Sci Fi channel had a similar clause with MGM, which prevented MGM from shopping Sg-1 to other networks after its 10th season cancellation.

It's extremely difficult to do a revival of a show that has gone off the air for more than a year as by then sets have been torn down and actors have signed contracts to appear in other projects. A lot of Arrested Development fans were upset at how much of season 4 focused on individual character stories rather than having the whole family together and able to riff off one another. However, that's the only way the season could have been made because by the time Netflix picked it up the actors were all very busy on other projects, so it was impossible to get them all back together to film at the same time. These scheduling conflicts are also why it took so long for Netflix to put out season 5.

Shows coming back after being off the air for a bit has been happening decades, though. Back in the 80s they had The New Leave It to Beaver, which ran for four seasons with the original cast. More recently you have Roseanne, Twin Peaks, X-Files, Veronica Mars, Mad About You, etc.

For a show like X-Files you just need the two principles to be free at the same time. Most of the show is shot on location or in existing studio sets, so a revival is doable if the principles are interested, which was no longer the case after season 11 (Julian Anderson decided she was done). Sitcoms are also doable if you can get everyone back together because rebuilding those sets are affordable. Networks build sets like that all the time for pilots, knowing that the majority of them will never get picked up. It's a little more expensive to get the Conner's residence just right, but it's nothing like how much sets cost for a science fiction program.

A Star Trek or Stargate type program costs millions upfront to build custom sets. It's an investment that will pay itself back if the show has high enough ratings to get picked up. If it gets canceled too quickly, it's unlikely that advertising money will cover what the network spent on it and the studio won't see a return on the lesser amount of money they put in until they can syndicate it, which is difficult to do without a full 5 seasons.

To bring a show like this back they have to pay millions to rebuild those sets, work out a way to get everyone back together despite schedules that obligate them to other projects years in advance, pay those actors quite a bit more than they would a new cast on a new show, and they have to be okay not being able to get most of these actors on multi-year contracts. As they're established and in demand, most actors in this situation will insist on yearly contracts that will allow them to renegotiate higher pay every year. Their ability to pull out on a whim (as Julian Anderson did with X-Files), and the prospect that the show will quickly become too expensive to keep on air (assuming it wasn't already), makes bringing this kind of TV program back too risky.

A spin-off, focusing on one or a small group from an existing cast like Star Trek: Picard is more likely to happen. They can bring back the larger cast for an episode or two here and there as their schedules allow and for a reasonable cost since it's just for a guest starring role. And they can fill out the main cast for cheap with a bunch of actors who are desperate to land a series. New shows like this often look for a named actor or two to build a cast of new faces around anyway. They did that with Stargate: Universe, Stargate Sg-1, Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek: Enterprise, etc. The Richard Dean Anderson, Scott Bakula, Edward James Olmos, Mary McDonnell, etc., in the cast gets a higher paycheck, and then they try to get everyone else for as little as they can with pre-negotiated raises each year for the first 5-6 seasons.

I can see CBS maybe doing a new show centered on Jonathan Archer with a new cast on a new ship, but as far as bringing everyone back together and having them on the Enterprise again, I agree with you that that's not going to happen.
        Last edited by Xaeden; 15 May 2021, 01:53 AM.

Comment

1,953 supporters have signed the petition. We need more signatures to reach the next goal. Do you want Star Trek: Enterprise to return? Do you want a sequel series too? If yes, please sign and share the petition. Also, send messages to ViacomCBS, actors and people who worked on the series still work in the Star Trek franchise. #BringBackStarTrekEnterprise #StarTrekEnterprise #StarTrek

Comment

Working...
          X