Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you love about Stargate?

Hi all!

Since I am a newbie here, let me introduce myself. It was a bit over two years ago since I discovered Stargate, specifically SG-1. By the halfway point in the show, where something particularly major happened to one of the team members, I realized I was hooked. There was something about this show, that I absolutely loved. Since then, I have spent hours rewatching the show and writing yet unpublished fan fiction. Through all that, I learned so much, mostly about myself, but other topics as well. Stories have power. They have the power to impact us in a way, I am not sure anything else can. It is one of the reasons I love storytelling. Is Stargate perfect? Nope, not by a long shot. But it was a comment here, that made me realize you can love something, or someone even if you don't like every aspect. Here, two years later, I can say, I love the show for what it is, in all its messiness, and imperfections.

We all though have our own lenses. Our perspectives. That brings me the question in the title and the subject of this thread. I would love to hear about what you love. What hooked you into stargate. My perspective will probably be different. But does that matter? I love hearing someone else’s perspective. Often I learn from it. Perhaps something new about whatever they are talking about, or perhaps something about the person themselves.

So come, talk my ear off. Tell me what you love about stargate. Tell me what drew you into the show, and what made you stay with it. Was there something about the world that sparked your imagination? Was it the characters, or a particular one you loved and resonated with you? Was there a particular story, that touched your heart in a way, that surprised you, and taught you something new? Maybe there is more than one reason. Whatever drew you into the story, I’d love to hear it!

What drew me to SG-1 was that it was different from other sci-fi shows and movies. In other shows, characters have superpowers or genectic abilities and/or even some sort of costume and a helmet. While I consider SG-1 to be a hero show because of its adverture/action-based scenes, the show (at least in its early seasons, less in the latter ones) went out to introduce a problem, mix the characters into it and having the characters actually think trough what has to be done to resolve the problem.

The second thing I like was the mythology and the history of races of people introduced during the show. Each one expanded the SG unverse a little bit. On top of that, I love how the writers made it be multi-verse-based or multi-dimensional-based. It was fun to see two versions of the same characters compare to what happened in their own universes and/or what happened with their loved ones - family members, friends, neighbours, co-workers. It showed how Stargate was big and how of a large impact that it had not just on the auidence watching at home, but on itself as well. Which brings me to humor in the show.

Every of the three shows had its own humor model, which made it easy for both the writers/producers and the viewers to view the different spin-offs of the show as different, but the same at the same time. It managed to offer a veriety of different characters with their own backgrounds and their own stories while still expanding the SG universe.

From all three shows, all of the above was done in SG-1 the best. SGA went off-track at some point while SGU didn't really get the chance to shine because of MGM's bankrupcy and all of that stuff. But I'd say all of the three spin-offs are more than worthy of being called "Stargate".

Of course - as you said - SG is not perfect and would definetely need some ironing-out to get some things straight. But the basics of it were done right. And if you are a showrunner and do the basics of your show right, you may mess up, but people will still want to watch more of it since you're doing in right, at least in some minimal way. There's also the finances factor in the picture somehwere, but that's for another thread.

Comment

I always loved the mythology and the exploration in the show. And it is really good how they have found out of the rules of the gate system, so we have learned more and more details how it works. It was done very cleverly. So now only the imagination and the budget are the limit.
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Err... I was flipping channels one afternoon. We didn't get to watch too much TV at home and there was nothing on, but in order to make the most of our TV-time we continued watching MacGuyver step through this puddle of water.

Looked it up online and started watching from the start with Children of the Gods. Loved the Ancient Egyptian theme. I love history and archaeology so that was a nice bonus. I was getting into the Ancient Egyptian history back then, before that it was Roman history for the most part.

When I first watched 1994 Stargate, I didn't like that film. I came round though.
        The film has some really cool props -- the falcon helmet for example.

I liked Daniel a lot in the beginning, until he turned into less of an archaeologist and more of a GI Joe Light version of himself. Never took to Carter much, still don't. Jack was one of my faves too and Teal'c was alright, I guess. Vala -- LOVED HER! She basically saved SG-1 in season 9 and 10.

It wasn't until Stargate Atlantis, though, that I realized I was totally hooked on Stargate. I was there from the start of the show, right up until its ending, going through all the motions and whatnot. My favorite character -- Kate Heightmeyer -- dying isn't exactly a high light to remember but I definitely had the most fun with Atlantis.
        Most of the fanfic I wrote/write is for Stargate Atlantis, and most always has the female characters front and center, though there isn't a character in SGA that I absolutely do not like (no, not even McKay).

I started a rewatch some 2 years ago. Might have seen it mentioned, the Proper Stargate Rewatch, with the quizzes and the jigsaw puzzles. Started it right before Stargate Origins was made/released. Then found out I didn't actually have access to all that content and my rewatch most certainly suffered from it.

I recently picked it up again so I'm heading in the second half of season 8 of SG-1.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

For me, I started watching Stargate way back when and immediately fell in love with Michael Shanks as Dr. Daniel Jackson. I love all the other characters as well, but Daniel was the main attraction for me. Still is. The fanfiction I've written centers around him, too.
          Turas Sábháilte, Baile Sábháilte
          (Safe Journey, Safe Home.)

Comment

The evolution of tactics and technology. Every little detail and change can be traced back to previous episodes in covering up holes in their security to progress in how they deal with matters in relation to Earth or the ongoing of the rest of the galaxy.

It's the thing that kind of annoyed me in Star Trek in which they come across certain tactics and technology one episode and then completely forget about it the next.

Comment

Originally posted by Rohan View Post
              The evolution of tactics and technology. Every little detail and change can be traced back to previous episodes in covering up holes in their security to progress in how they deal with matters in relation to Earth or the ongoing of the rest of the galaxy.

It's the thing that kind of annoyed me in Star Trek in which they come across certain tactics and technology one episode and then completely forget about it the next.
              Hate to break it to you but Stargate is no stranger to that tactic either.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

Hate to break it to you but Stargate is no stranger to that tactic either.
                Yeah, I won't deny the writing has it's plot induced stupidity moments as well.

Comment

Stormtrooper syndrome. Downgrading things as the series progresses.

Ah, now we're in what frustrates us about stargate.

For me, what made stargate so great were its characters. It's why I didn't care much for SGU since the only two I liked were Chloe and Eli. For SG1 and SGA, I wanted to see the adventures my favorite ppl would go on.

sigpic
                  Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
                  https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

But I think we can overlook it, because that which we love we see as perfection... no?
                    I tend to do that.

Besides, when you've seen the show as many times as all of us have, we will eventually pick up on flaws or things that could have been different or better or at the very least, less cringeworthy.

Comment

I discovered Stargate when I watched the 1994 movie and then SGU some time in 2018, I thought it was a nice show but didn't really think much of it especially since it was cancelled so early on.

When the pandemic started in 2020, I had just finished binging all the Star Trek series and needed a new episodic sci-fi show. Which is exactly what I googled and found SG-1.

It took a few episodes for me to warm up to it, but Torment of Tantalus is what really got me hooked. The most refreshing part is how the show took similar plot elements from Star Trek but brought modern day (professional still) human ingenuity into the mix. Plus, I absolutely loved the Goa'uld ark and the feeling of hopelessness when Apophis's ships showed up at Earth.

The slow technological progression felt actually realistic, with Prometheus being the ultimate reward for watching whole 6 seasons.
                      Although I felt like the storytelling eventually got a bit repetitive towards season 7 and 8 (especially Jaffa episodes), Atlantis was extremely refreshing. That and the Ori ark, plus the fun little references between the shows while they aired together really gave the feeling that both shows were in the same universe. Pegasus Project is the perfect example of this, and is seriously one of the best episodes of the franchise.

I did rewatch SGU right after Atlantis just so I could have watched it all in order, and I was actually able to go into the show understanding how different the tone is, while it still feeling fresh, plus I actually understood all the references it made.

TLDR; "Realistic" technological progression, major rewards for fully watching all shows, each show has plenty of references to the others to keep them intertwined.

Comment

Everything....

Comment

I started watching stargate at the start of 2021 and continued to watch it. its so far my favorite show on the go (Still Watching it)

Comment

Working...
                          X