Non-humanoids aliens in tv shows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-humanoids aliens in tv shows?

Im looking for a tv show that have non-humanoids aliens, please if you know any series, tell me

Do you mean 2 arms and 2 legs?
    "humanoids" is a sorta broad term.
    Star wars, at least the legends part has MANY species like that if that's what you mean. 4 legs, six arms, no legs and 4 limbs that can work in synch better than a humanoid.
    Independence day had multi-limbed aliens as well, as do some of the variations of the "aliens" from movie series of the same name.
    Is that what you were looking for?
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I also miss non humanoid aliens from tv show. It is easier to put a makeup on human actors instead of imagining something completly different. Gatefan176 was right about Star Wars.

Babylon 5 has a few non humanoid aliens.
      https://babylon5.fandom.com/wiki/Shadow

FarScape has got lots of races too, so maybe you will find something interesting.
      https://farscape.fandom.com/wiki/Categorypecies

If you are looking for computer games then Mass Effect. They had a smaller race called Hanar.
      https://masseffect.fandom.com/wiki/Hanar

I really liked the aliens in the Ascendancy. Some of them could be used in a tv show as they were so creative that even one standing picture could turn on my imagination.
      https://aliens.fandom.com/wiki/Categ...dancy_Universe
      Last edited by Platschu; 05 May 2020, 08:34 AM.
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I'm just looking for a starting point.
        You are quite correct Platschu that Bab 5 and Farscape, both had non humanoid aliens (I'd throw in Lexx as well as the entire damn ship is sentient but non humanoid entirely and has a whole storyline about "Her child"

I can't speak to games like Mass Effect as I never played them, so I won't even try, I'll let people who have played it discuss that
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Do you look for cartoon, or animated or a show with real actors?

Doctor Who has the Dalek as a non-humanoid alien race and other aliens that appear occasionally

But apart from that right now I can't tell of any more

Comment

Many series of the Star Trek franchise play with the idea of non-humanoid races. But mostly these appearances are limited to single episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
              I can't speak to games like Mass Effect as I never played them, so I won't even try, I'll let people who have played it discuss that
              I would strongly suggest the Mass Effect 1-2-3-(4) as they were one of the best scifi games in the last 10-15 years. They have really created a nice and deep lore, interesting races, amazing voice actors (including Martin Sheen, Tricia Helfer, Claudia Black) and a quite good story. It is very rare that adult men can laugh and cry on any game, but the writers have reached that emotional level when you are really connected to the characters. Every decision has got an effect on the reaction of the NPCs. This is one of the best RPG/FPS game what I have ever played and I have fallen in love within 10-15 minutes. I wish they could make a tv show from it. If you find it anywhere as a discount game, I would strongly suggest to buy it. Or you can watch it as a game movie :
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vIEhQUeAtc

The Orville has got a gelatine type of alien called Yaphit.
              https://orville.fandom.com/wiki/Yaphit

Problems are with non humanoid races that our limited visual perception couldn't accept them easier. So we are the winner of such evolution where almost creature have got symmetrical bodies : 2 eyes, 2 ears, 2 arms and 2 legs etc. Most of the non humanoid races are based on other lifeforms from Earth (like a spider, crab, octopus, jellyfish etc.). I wish they could invest more into imagining some different type of aliens, but this would be really expensive to use CGI in every episode. Not to mention that how would you communicate with such aliens? What if an alien can't talk as they don't breath? What if they have got magnetic waves, antigravital body organs etc. And this is how I would imagine new races that wouldn't follow the logic of our own evolution. We can pretend that "oh yeah, but other solar systems will develop similar condition for life". We can't be sure about it. What if some aliens have got a more mixed atmosphere, so there immune system, their breathing, their biology are more based on the methane or nitrogen-dioxide contain of air. I have never liked such scifi ideas when they have said "silicium based life". Chemistry is chemistry everywhere. So maybe the environment will be different (type of the Sun, distance of the Sun, size of the planet, gravity on the planet, presence of water, size of the moon, natural disasters, alien intervention etc.). But carbon based chemistry can not be skipped. Simply life doesn't work like that way. Why would a lifeform based on silicium if there is carbon there too? Nature will find the best and more reactive resources. Silicium or Nitrogen will never make so many type molecules like carbon and oxygen. And it happens often that such people will write about different type of life who hasn't got any basic biochemistry knowledge. But even if we would be built from the same elements, just look how many different type of life forms exist or existed on Earth. Some of them have got a few special skills as well (like spider web, snake poison, mimicry), so if the races wouldn't be competitive maybe they could have ruled the game of evolution. That is the reason I have suggested a few times that the nextgen SG spinoff could examine such evolutionary scenarios how human life would change and evolve on different planets. Since every planet are isolated if they don't use the stargates, we could visit some really unique and wild world.
              Last edited by Platschu; 05 May 2020, 09:10 AM.
              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I guess one problem is that TV shows do not have as big of a budget too, anything that is not humanoid needs to be animated and if it is there constantly that might cost more than just dressing up a human as an alien

However tbh I do also not know any anime or cartoon which has aliens like that in it

Comment

Even Stargate had a few non humanoid aliens (like A't'rr, Rhee'tou, Watergate aliens, fog aliens in Atlantis and a few more in SG:U what I can not talk about because FH). But most of them were microbes, while the human sized ones had almost always humanoid faces. I believe it would be hard to make a conversation with an alien without eye balls as even the audience would stare at them. Simply that is how we are thinking.

Starship Troopers has got some bugs. StarCraft has got the Zerg. And I believe the movie "Arrival" had an intereting alien concept too.

Here is a nice list of more :
                  https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki...manoid_species
                  https://www.pinterest.com/nvhesla/non-humanoid-aliens/
                  Last edited by Platschu; 05 May 2020, 01:25 PM.

Comment

falling skies.
                    Last edited by knowles2; 10 May 2020, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X