• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP Tim Brooke-Taylor (The Goodies)

G'day,

maxresdefault.jpg
    noun
    1. a good or favoured person, especially a hero in a book, film, etc.
    2. something attractive or desirable
    3. a British television series from the 1970's

Whilst one couldn't quite call The Goodies sci-fi, nor even fantasy (though it certainly had its fair share of fantastical set pieces), it is forever in my mind associated with sci-fi due to the close proximity it shared with Doctor Who during the 1980's here in Australia - typically airing either directly before or after that show on the ABC for a decade.

Sadly, on Easter Sunday news broke that one of the Goodies - Tim Brooke-Taylor - died from COVID-19.

As I said to my brother upon hearing the news - The world has lost a great Scout, political leader, feminist, Royalist, and teapot...

708eb32222b8615e9abe808de3124841.jpg eb238041f7777805899d78d3bd7ceab0-933607.jpg d6185584dc8f11ebe46ab3d54e776273.jpg

p01gxfyb.jpg

If you've never watched The Goodies, the series revolved around 3 men - Graeme (the crazy scientist), Bill (the anarchist), and Tim (the conservative royalist - whose motto was that they would do "Anything, Anytime". The first season, for example, saw them helping thwart a plot to steal the crown jewels, improving the image of the police, babysitting a girl in a haunted house, and creating their own pirate radio station and postal service.

The series saw groundbreaking special effects... I mean... the series broke the ground frequently by dropping dummies from great heights to simulate great falls, then locking the camera and replacing the dummies with actors... Most of the OB footage tended to be without location audio, no doubt to save on costs.

Here in Australia we have only officially seen 2 "best of" DVDs released, however in the UK you can buy a complete box set of all (BBC) episodes. (The series jumped networks for 1 last season; also available on DVD in the UK) Aussies can however buy the box set via eBay and other sources - about AU$130.

Cheers

cosmic
    Last edited by cosmichobo; 15 April 2020, 01:45 AM.
    back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
    "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
    "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
    and lots more!
Working...
X