report price gouging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

report price gouging

went to amazon looking for some deals on tuna, found a few things that I didn't expect.

from amazon
    StarKist Chunk Light Tuna in Water, 5 Ounce Cans (Pack of 8)
    Price: $6.84 ($0.17 / Ounce) & FREE Shipping on orders over $25.00 shipped by Amazon. Details

Out of stock

$17.99 ($0.90 / Ounce)
    & FREE Shipping + $0.00 estimated tax

Arrives between April 15-20.

Ships from NY, United States.
    Shipping rates and return policy.

The Cory Family

4.5 out of 5 stars
    88% positive over the past 12 months. (259 total ratings)

4.50 a can

*****************************************************************************

$14.95 ($0.75 / Ounce)
    + $4.99 shipping + $0.00 estimated tax

Ships from CA, United States.
    Shipping rates and return policy.

5 out of 5 stars
    100% positive over the past 12 months. (75 total ratings)

3.74-a can
    *****************************************************************************

down here in flordia we have experience with price gouging, after hurricanes you can find people selling bottled water for $5a bottle and gasoline for $10 dollars a gallon, need your yard cleaned and a tree removed depending on the number of trees it can run $1000 dollars, after things like that happening florida passed a law that those caught price gouging can be arrested and charged under criminal laws.
    Last edited by epg20; 06 April 2020, 09:03 PM.

I've seen a 6-roll pack of Toilet Paper priced @ 14.49.. - At Walgreen's no less.

There is a local tree removal / landscaping business that has been advertising "as low as $400/Tree" for removing dead/diseased trees, but that ad has been running for months, since December at least.

Cleaning up a yard after a major storm or nasty winter is a labor-intensive proposition. Takes me at least 3-4 days worth of work every year. And I can't afford to pay anyone to do it. Might take a while to do it, but a good chainsaw will reduce just about any fallen tree to manageable size. That figure you quoted doesn't sound so badly out of line.

We have had anti-gouging laws in place for a long time, but whether or not they are effective is another matter. Suppose the local retailer inside the jurisdiction of those laws is simply passing along the increases made by their supplier, who is outside the jurisdiction and can't be touched?

On the other side of the fence, gasoline prices are dropping. Under $2.00/Gallon in most areas by now.
    And if you want gouging... I've heard more than a few rumblings about raising the gas tax, as governments look for ways to line their pockets.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      I've seen a 6-roll pack of Toilet Paper priced @ 14.49.. - At Walgreen's no less.

There is a local tree removal / landscaping business that has been advertising "as low as $400/Tree" for removing dead/diseased trees, but that ad has been running for months, since December at least.

Cleaning up a yard after a major storm or nasty winter is a labor-intensive proposition. Takes me at least 3-4 days worth of work every year. And I can't afford to pay anyone to do it. Might take a while to do it, but a good chainsaw will reduce just about any fallen tree to manageable size. That figure you quoted doesn't sound so badly out of line.

We have had anti-gouging laws in place for a long time, but whether or not they are effective is another matter. Suppose the local retailer inside the jurisdiction of those laws is simply passing along the increases made by their supplier, who is outside the jurisdiction and can't be touched?

On the other side of the fence, gasoline prices are dropping. Under $2.00/Gallon in most areas by now.
      And if you want gouging... I've heard more than a few rumblings about raising the gas tax, as governments look for ways to line their pockets.
      yes, that store should be reported, gouging like that is wrong. it may be the stores right to price things how they see fit, but the fact that you even saw the toilet paper there just goes to show the law of supply and demand is still in effect, hoarding such things is reprehensible, but charging that much is a crime, and while it may not be a necessity, like water or food, it is something that a lot of these people who claim to be "Christians" don't seem to mind doing, they will wail and moan over this and that moral thing, BUT, when it comes to their wallet, all that seems to go out the window in favor of making some quick cash.

I have cleaned up after a major storm, ivan dennis ect, but the scum suckers who prey on people desperate to get help removing trees blocking the driveway or just people who are old and need help clearing the driveway and cleaning up the yard are maggot puke, this happened to my dad after one storm, I don't remember which one, I don't remember exactly what happened, but my dad told me he was approached by a guy in a white truck and told him that for $500 he would cleanup our yard, just a bunch of leaves, no trees down, he said no and the guy drove off, when I was inside, I saw a white truck high tail it out of the area and never saw it again, when dad told me about the truck, I told him about what I saw, I am willing to bet that someone threatened to call the cops on them if they didn't leave, I wish they had, would love to see a gouger get what they deserve. I can understand wanting to make as much as you can, but doing things like that is just maggot puke category.

gas may be going down all over the place, but if you are stuck on the highway and there is a gas truck next to you offering you five gallons for fifty dollars and you are at least ten or more miles away from the nearest gas station, you might just be desperate enough to just pay the money to get that gas, but wait how are you going to put that gas in your tank, I happen to have a five gallon gas can right here, if you want it, I am more than willing to sell it to you for $200, of course you can just put the gas in your hand and fill your tank that way, what would you like to do. all of that is legal, but not necessarily right.

I haven't heard about the gas tax down here, if they are going to do that, then there needs to be a recall election for them, doing something like that in a time like this IS criminal.

Comment

Our prices at Whole Foods have been staying pretty stable....granted some of the products we sell are naturally high-priced....like lotions and the like (i.e., health and beauty items) but tha's true at almost every store

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
          Our prices at Whole Foods have been staying pretty stable....granted some of the products we sell are naturally high-priced....like lotions and the like (i.e., health and beauty items) but tha's true at almost every store
          Our prices have not altered a jot. When we have TP in stock, it's generally 50c a roll in packs of 20. We have no gouging, nor have our competitors done either.
          Health and beauty items are just generally overpriced anyway MG, no matter who you work for
          15 gram jars of face cream go for anywhere between 10-50 bucks depending on brand, it's always been a price gouged item.
          EPG is right, gouging SHOULD be reported, but if you have no regulation, your report means nothing, and that's the simple fact.
          The law can only enforce what it is entitled to by the law. If price gouging has no law talk to those who can change the law, not those who enforce it.
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

A lot of stores right now are ending sales for the near future. A lot not people don't realize some items have long time sales. I see a lot of people (especially the elderly) complain of price gouging when it's not
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
              Our prices have not altered a jot. When we have TP in stock, it's generally 50c a roll in packs of 20. We have no gouging, nor have our competitors done either.
              Health and beauty items are just generally overpriced anyway MG, no matter who you work for
              15 gram jars of face cream go for anywhere between 10-50 bucks depending on brand, it's always been a price gouged item.
              EPG is right, gouging SHOULD be reported, but if you have no regulation, your report means nothing, and that's the simple fact.
              The law can only enforce what it is entitled to by the law. If price gouging has no law talk to those who can change the law, not those who enforce it.
              well you are right and wrong, you are right that if there is no GOVERNMENT body to regulate that sort of thing, then going to the mayor or the town counsel would be meaningless, BUT, thanks to social media, the store, seller on ebay or amazon, or even if you have some sort of town gossip that is nosy, word can get around your town that this person or that organization is price gouging and that you should not buy from them, even after the emergency is over, if they will do that during an emergency, just how badly are they over charging on items you buy everyday.

Comment

actually if you're on a shoestring budget here in the US there is Dollar Tree which even has a selection of health and beauty items and laundry items and other cleaning items (the commonly price-gouged items elsewhere)

Comment

Originally posted by epg20 View Post
                  well you are right and wrong, you are right that if there is no GOVERNMENT body to regulate that sort of thing, then going to the mayor or the town counsel would be meaningless, BUT, thanks to social media, the store, seller on ebay or amazon, or even if you have some sort of town gossip that is nosy, word can get around your town that this person or that organization is price gouging and that you should not buy from them, even after the emergency is over, if they will do that during an emergency, just how badly are they over charging on items you buy everyday.
                  Sadly, using consumer pressure to force a business to behave no longer works. Hell, look at the crappy way modern retail treats customers as is. Sheeple just keep going back for more.

Comment

this is what I like to see:

https://www.sgvtribune.com/2020/04/0...masks-for-300/

https://www.facebook.com/BaldwinPark...153346564997:0

https://nypost.com/2020/03/30/brookl...on-fbi-agents/

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                      actually if you're on a shoestring budget here in the US there is Dollar Tree which even has a selection of health and beauty items and laundry items and other cleaning items (the commonly price-gouged items elsewhere)
                      We call 'em 2 dollar shops or the reject shop here mate.
                      sigpic

Comment

And, on the topic of price gouging....

Coronavirus-stricken cruise ship passengers need nearly $10K to fly home

Dozens of passengers on a crippled cruise ship where more than half onboard have coronavirus are finally being offered a route home — at almost $10,000 a head.
                        Correct me if I'm wrong, but if a cruise line or other public passenger conveyance is unable to return passengers to the port of departure for any reason aren't they legally responsible for the costs incurred?

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                          And, on the topic of price gouging....

Coronavirus-stricken cruise ship passengers need nearly $10K to fly home

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if a cruise line or other public passenger conveyance is unable to return passengers to the port of departure for any reason aren't they legally responsible for the costs incurred?
                          I don't believe so, I think that's more a function of travel insurance. Womble would be the person to ask.
                          sigpic

Comment

I don't believe so, I think that's more a function of travel insurance. Womble would be the person to ask.
                            I"m certain the lawyers will find a way to squirm out of it (that's why the rich run things regardless of the laws, the lawyers wrote the laws) but I really do think they are on the hook for it.

https://www.justia.com/admiralty/cruise-ships/

Duty of Care Owed Cruise Line Passengers

Cruise ships departing from U.S. ports are deemed common carriers pursuant to the Shipping Act of 1984, 46 U.S.C. §1702(6). Common carriers owe their passengers a heightened duty of care in protecting them from physical harm and ensuring they arrive at their destinations safely. This special duty of care owed to passengers includes protection from crew members' assaults, rapes, and other criminal attacks.

Comment

Err, NO. Lawyers don't write the law.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X