Rings on Atlantis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
    Ba'al's beaming technology came from Anubis' interrogation of Thor just a few years ago
    To be fair you might be right with this; I've found it said elsewhere too.

My understanding had always been that the Gao'uld acquired Asgard beaming technology from Earth through their infiltration of The Trust and that the probing of Thor's mind by Anubis had been unsuccessful..because Thor would rather die than give up the secrets of the Asgard.

Even at the end of Revelations Thor says;
    "The Goa'uld are attempting to download the information stored in my pre-frontal cortex. It is only a matter of time before they break through my mental defenses." Which would seem to indicate they had not yet done so.

Shortly afterwards the Asgard fleet arrive and Anubis retreats. From this I did not believe that Anubis had successfully been able to extract the knowledge from Thor.

Osiris did however capture the Asgard base on the planet so perhaps could have taken the technology from there(although that's not to say understand it).

I'd need to do some re-watching but is there anything else where it actually confirms that Anubis took the Transporter knowledge from Thor?

Comment

The confirmation that they did manage to get some information from Thor between the time he said that line and his rescue was confirmed in season 7's "Chimera."

CARTER: We're speculating that she's sneaking into Daniel's house at night and using some sort of modified memory device.

TEAL'C: Anubis once probed Thor's mind and in doing so they would have gained access to certain Asgard technology.
      While looking up this quote I also found a line that might be of some interest to you...

CARTER: It jams the frequency the Goa'uld use for communication and the remote control devices like the ring transporters. Right now we're working on making it portable enough to ...

CARTER: We're hoping the jamming device we've been working on, could prevent Osiris from using the beam technology to escape Daniel's room.
      I had forgotten about that part, but apparently they spent some time developing a portable jamming device that was first put into use in season 7. Teal'c said it would also work on Goa'uld operated Asgard beaming technology because the Goa'uld "would most likely interface any Asgard system with their own command device." Meaning it wouldn't have worked on actual Asgard beams because they don't operate on the same frequency. Although it should be fairly easy to rework the device to block Asgard frequencies or a broader range of frequencies so that the Asgard couldn't get around the device by switching frequencies. In any case, this explains why they were so easily able to prevent Ba'al from beaming into the SGC after he stole the Stargate, but it's curious that they had the technology for so long and didn't use it in the SGC even though they knew Ba'al was running around with beaming tech.

Comment

Thanks. I guess that is what the writers intended then that the knowledge was extracted from Thor's mind by Anubis, however technically it could just be Tealc's assumption that it had been.

Yes, the second quote is a find too. I don't think it means that they have a device that can block beaming tech though; I think what it means is that they can block Gao'uld communication which Osiris used to trigger the beam remotely. The beaming tech would most likely work fine it just never receives the remote control signal to engage.

That's why it can block the use of the rings too. Not because the rings and the beaming tech are so similar to be susceptible to the same attack, just that the command communication signal never gets through to activate them.
        Last edited by Railgun; 02 April 2020, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Railgun View Post
          Thanks. I guess that is what the writers intended then that the knowledge was extracted from Thor's mind by Anubis, however technically it could just be Tealc's assumption that it had been.
          Possibly, but the only two Goa'uld who were shown to have beaming tech were Osiris and Ba'al and they both served Anubis. They also suddenly started using Asgard holographic technology after that. Earth also has Asgard hologram tech ("Convent" - S8E8), but Ba'al was never shown to have anything else that the Asgard gave Earth. As far as we know, they never had intergalactic hyperspace engines or Asgard shields, so it very much seems like Teal'c was right in that Anubis managed to extract some information from Thor's mind, but Sg-1 pulled him out before the Goa'uld got everything.

Also, if the Trust gained access to advanced Asgard technologies while spying on Earth, I feel that's something of such high magnitude that it would be incumbent on the writers to at the very least mention it.

Yes, the second quote is a find too. I don't think it means that they have a device that can block beaming tech though; I think what it means is that they can block Gao'uld communication which Osiris used to trigger the beam remotely. The beaming tech would most likely work fine it just never receives the remote control signal to engage.

That's why it can block the use of the rings too. Not because the rings and the beaming tech are so similar to be susceptible to the same attack, just that the command communication signal never gets through to activate them.
          Right, which is different from the jamming field in the SGC. That one supposedly blocks incoming beam ins, something that it seems the season 7 device shouldn't have been able to do if we accurately understand its premise.
          Last edited by Xaeden; 17 April 2020, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
            Possibly, but the only two Goa'uld who were shown to have beaming tech were Osiris and Ba'al and they both served Anubis. They also suddenly started using Asgard holographic technology after that. Earth also has Asgard hologram tech ("Convent" - S8E8), but Ba'al was never shown to have anything else that the Asgard gave Earth. As far as know, they never had intergalactic hyperspace engines or Asgard shields, so it very much seems like Teal'c was right in that Anubis managed to extract some information from Thor's mind, but Sg-1 pulled him out before the Goa'uld got everything.
            That explanation is probably more canon than mine, but here is another stab at an alternate theory:

Anubis got nothing from Thor.

Osiris captured the Asgard base beneath the planet surface..which we saw has Asgard transporter and holographic technology.

Anubis was pre-occupied with trying to probe Thor's mind, through which he hoped to get all of the Asgard knowledge. He was therefore little concerned with the base and left that to Osiris.

Osiris took the Asgard tech beaming device and holographic device from the base and integrated into his Al'kesh.

This was then captured by the Trust.

Brooks escaped with the ship to hyperspace in 'Endgame'.

In "Full Alert" carter suggests they had been captured by the Goa'uld.

"
            CARTER: According to Tok'ra intelligence, the Trust launched at least two poison attacks against Goa'uld-occupied worlds after we took back the Gate. That means they had to leave the relatively safe confines of the solar system and head out into the galaxy where they ran the risk of being killed or ... captured.

CHEKOV: What are you suggesting?

CARTER: Any Goa'uld who got his hands on them would have discovered pretty quickly that they belong to a top secret organization with high level connections to some of the most powerful governments and institutions on this planet, including the S.G.C., Area 51, and maybe even the Ancient outpost in the Antarctic.

CHEKOV: My God! You think they have been taken as hosts, then sent back to Earth.
            "

So here is my suggestion:

The Goa'uld never really acquired the Asgard transporter technology (ie the understanding of it).
            Osiris got a pre-built transporter from the Asgard base and integrated it into the Alk'esh with Goa'uld control technology.
            The Alk'esh was stolen by the Trust.
            The trust were captured by the Goa'uld. (probably Ba'al)

So somewhere between 'Endgame' and 'Full Alert'( when the Alk'esh was destroyed), Ba'al could have removed the Asgard transporter and integrated it into his own ship.

OK, I need to go and watch Full Alert to make sure there is no example of the Alk'esh Transporter being used in that episode which would kill this theory dead if it was.
            Last edited by Railgun; 03 April 2020, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Railgun View Post
              The Goa'uld never really acquired the Asgard transporter technology (ie the understanding of it).
              Osiris got a pre-built transporter from the Asgard base and integrated it into the Alk'esh with Goa'uld control technology.
              The Alk'esh was stolen by the Trust.
              The trust were captured by the Goa'uld. (probably Ba'al)

So somewhere between 'Endgame' and 'Full Alert'( when the Alk'esh was destroyed), Ba'al could have removed the Asgard transporter and integrated it into his own ship.

OK, I need to go and watch Full Alert to make sure there is no example of the Alk'esh Transporter being used in that episode which would kill this theory dead if it was.
              Under this theory, does Ba'al eventually learn how to reverse engineer the one transporter device? In season 9's "Off the Grid" the Ba'al clone goes down with a ship that had beaming technology. In the next Ba'al clone episode (Insiders - S10, E4), his clones bypass the SGC's jamming technology by grouping together and combining their individual locator beacons.

Comment

I guess that if there is future evidence of Ba'al having more than 1 ship with the transporter tech then he either must have worked out how to reverse engineer it, have another source of transporters or the theory is dud. I'd need to do some more watching to confirm.

It's also possible that the Trust already revere engineered it in the time that they had the ship and Ba'al just stole the knowledge from them.

Having access to an Asgard beam and access to people in positions of power on Earth could have meant they were able to put the pieces together on how it worked.

Comment

Working...
                X