Page 82 of 87 FirstFirst ... 327279808182838485 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,640 of 1724

Default Re: The Covid19 thread

I don't know if you get this in the US but try Savacol SG, that's not just mouthwash, it's antibacterial as well.
    Good stuff, Had to use it when I bit my tongue and just kept up the habit.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    Article is conjecture, not known fact. We don't *know* enough about this, particularly when you consider this likely came from a bioweapons lab.
    I'm disappointed to see no action taken on such silly and dangerous falsehoods but whatever.

-----

Friend lost her aunt yesterday. She's also quarantining because both her family and her husband have caught it and she is just waiting on a test result. She can't even be comforted by people right now.

A month ago my classroom aide lost her dad. A few weeks before that a friend of mine lost their (healthy) grandpa. And sometime over the summer my students lost their grandma...

This virus sucks. And the people who aren't taking it seriously suck more.

Major

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    I'm disappointed to see no action taken on such silly and dangerous falsehoods but whatever.

-----

Friend lost her aunt yesterday. She's also quarantining because both her family and her husband have caught it and she is just waiting on a test result. She can't even be comforted by people right now.

A month ago my classroom aide lost her dad. A few weeks before that a friend of mine lost their (healthy) grandpa. And sometime over the summer my students lost their grandma...

This virus sucks. And the people who aren't taking it seriously suck more.
    Sorry to hear about the deaths of people close to you.

What falsehoods? We don't know all that much about this yet. We certainly don't know the duration of immunity catching this gives you, nor can we say for certain how it spread. That's the point of what I was saying; we don't know enough about it. As far as it's origin, it's pretty well accepted that it came from Wuhan, and there is a bioweapons lab located there. So it is certainly possible that that was the source. Myself, I think it quite likely, but we don't *know*, so using the term "falsehood" isn't quite accurate.

Lieutenant Colonel

Same, 20%. But the point is that you don't know what you are. So the full range of 40% applies.
    again lets keep it simple & leave out that last part ftm

do you agree that:
    1 anyone is either positive or negative
    2 no one can be both positive & negative

if your answer to both is yes then:

3 if any person takes the test what are the odds of an error for that person?

Article is conjecture, not known fact. We don't *know* enough about this, particularly when you consider this likely came from a bioweapons lab.
    what about the first SARS (15y ago) do you think it's natural or man made?

Major

Quote Originally Posted by SoulReaver View Post
    again lets keep it simple & leave out that last part ftm

do you agree that:
    1 anyone is either positive or negative
    2 no one can be both positive & negative

if your answer to both is yes then:

3 if any person takes the test what are the odds of an error for that person?

what about the first SARS (15y ago) do you think it's natural or man made?
    How can you discuss any test accurately if you "leave that part out" at the outset? IRL, you don't get to leave the parts you want out.

As far as SARS goes, dunno, haven't looked into it.

Lieutenant Colonel

How can you discuss any test accurately if you "leave that part out" at the outset? IRL, you don't get to leave the parts you want out.
    in the meantime you didn't answer the question

As far as SARS goes, dunno, haven't looked into it.
    why not? SARS-Cov1 & SARS-Cov2 are almost 90% genetically similar originate from same country have same incubation time & same symptoms

Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar

Funerals in corona-times are... remarkably my thing... obviously I'd rather we didn't have to have another one.

Anywho... buried grandpa last saturday and it was just the family which means there were exactly 15 people attending -- the maximum amount of the people allowed. It was short, honorable, respectful and yes, even had a hilarious moment when we were queueing to greet grandpa's urn. Right at the moment my dad was standing in front of the urn, he got a phone call (forgot to turn off his cellphone), and me and my sister right behind him (and luckily last in line) had to chuckle and simultaneously said, "Grandpa's calling!".

It was also quite nice to see the family again -- we haven't actually seen most of them since February 2020. Not even online over video calls. Of course, circumstances could have been different to make it a "happy" reunion but everybody was clearly relieved at seeing each other.

My aunt and uncle who were sick with Covid were doing better but they still feel the fall-out. They both tire easily. My uncle had a fever for several days. They suffered coughing, shortness of breath, muscle aches and fever.

While we were at the church yard, visited mom's grave and my other grandpa, and did a bit of cleaning of the tombstones. Leaves everywhere of course.

I mean asking people to "step up" while also making them do so, is contradictory
    it's either convince or compel
    Reverse psychology perhaps.

incidentally what do the majority of people think? (not that it matters)
    The majority agrees that celebrating the festivities in december will have to be with just the housemates and that one cuddle-contact we're allowed to have.

People have more than adequately demonstrated that they will not voluntarily comply with social distancing, avoiding crowds and so forth. This is proven by the resurgence and who is being infected.
    Infection rates shifted from twenty-somethings to the working population, back to the elderly.
    At least, it did so over here (Belgium).

Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    young brains full of mush, old brains full of dust.
    Mine's filled with saw dust -- natural filling.

Quote Originally Posted by SGalisa View Post
    I had the antibodies test. Negative results. I was sick in December (2019) and January (2020) for 6 weeks with a "mysterious" cold virus.
    Nothing mysterious -- you had one of the corona-family members visiting. Might not have been Covid-19, but cold viruses are corona viruses.

My dear FH, I do wear the blasted mask. I work with (proof-read) OSHA regulations for compliance training ... No need to hammer the rules and regs down on my head, when I send those same regulations out to the general public. And I think COVID-19 has opened a new training course in medical/any work-place compliance, but I'm not involved with it yet.
    My apologies -- let's hammer the general public together then.

However, there are times when I think some people are being a bit TOO extreme in their paranoia of this virus, when you are about 99% certain your coworker does not have a cold or COVID-like virus.
    The general response to sneezing or coughing at work these days is the following: "Hey, no spreading the covid. Keep it with you!"

But that was when going into the office was still allowed.

...as well as gargling with (Listerine-strength) mouthwash for extra preventative measures...
    It'll still have made it into your bloodstream though -- the virus, I mean, not the mouthwash.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    The majority agrees that celebrating the festivities in december will have to be with just the housemates and that one cuddle-contact we're allowed to have.
    I meant the masks mandates
    I reckon the majority of people agree with social distancing measures (especially gamers)

Major

Funerals in corona-times are... remarkably my thing... obviously I'd rather we didn't have to have another one.

Anywho... buried grandpa last saturday and it was just the family which means there were exactly 15 people attending -- the maximum amount of the people allowed. It was short, honorable, respectful and yes, even had a hilarious moment when we were queueing to greet grandpa's urn. Right at the moment my dad was standing in front of the urn, he got a phone call (forgot to turn off his cellphone), and me and my sister right behind him (and luckily last in line) had to chuckle and simultaneously said, "Grandpa's calling!".
    Sorry to hear about your grandfather's passing.

Infection rates shifted from twenty-somethings to the working population, back to the elderly.
    At least, it did so over here (Belgium).
    Makes perfect sense. Young skulls full of mush have to socialize regardless of CV, so they do, but many of them are asymptomatic, so they go to work and spread it there. They & their now infected co-workers also spread it to their elders whom they live with. And the elders face the higher risk of death/etc.

Potentially effective vaccines aside, (there are no guarantees the 3 vaccines companies are touting will actually be effective or the public will be willing to take them) isolation is the only weapon we have. Which is why it's essential that ALL age groups practice isolation, by force if needed.

Lieutenant Colonel

there are no guarantees the 3 vaccines companies are touting will actually be effective or the public will be willing to take them
    even the private corporations that make this patented **** only advertise a 95% effectiveness. why not 100%?

I mean natural immunity's 100% (as long as the virus doesn't evolve but I assume they tested the vaccine against a specific strain) and vaccines are supposed to emulate this right?

Major

even the private corporations that make this patented **** only advertise a 95% effectiveness. why not 100%?

I mean natural immunity's 100% (as long as the virus doesn't evolve but I assume they tested the vaccine against a specific strain) and vaccines are supposed to emulate this right?
    Very few things are 100%. 90% range is pretty damned good, assuming they actually do meet that mark, which I doubt. People and companies always play games with numbers.

https://www.immune.org.nz/vaccines/e...-effectiveness

No vaccine is 100% effective, a small percentage of people are not protected after vaccination and for others the protection may wane over time. Also, some people are unable to be vaccinated due to certain conditions such as immune suppression. Maintaining immunity in those around these people protects them from disease.
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

Lieutenant Colonel

yet the measles & smallpox vaccines are 100% effective

Sorry to hear about your grandfather's passing.

Makes perfect sense. Young skulls full of mush have to socialize regardless of CV, so they do, but many of them are asymptomatic, so they go to work and spread it there. They & their now infected co-workers also spread it to their elders whom they live with. And the elders face the higher risk of death/etc.

Potentially effective vaccines aside, (there are no guarantees the 3 vaccines companies are touting will actually be effective or the public will be willing to take them) isolation is the only weapon we have. Which is why it's essential that ALL age groups practice isolation, by force if needed.
    sounds to me as if you wouldn't mind if we revived those old leper colonies

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by mad_gater View Post
    my thoughts too unfortunately he's got a point in an epidemic social distancing's the only way to safely & effectively fight it

sure there's others like vaccines & **** but social distancing's the only one without side effects

Major

Quote Originally Posted by mad_gater View Post
    Take it any way you want it, but my goal would be to stop a potentially fatal disease. My concern for the social lives of youngsters who have demonstrated that they will not voluntarily isolate themselves, businesses that will not voluntarily follow guidelines and anyone else who is selfish enough to risk spreading a potentially fatal disease for which isolation is the only effective preventative step doesn't even wiggle the needle on the meter.

Put more succinctly, they had their chance to behave. Now it's time for the sledgehammer.

Lieutenant Colonel

Take it any way you want it, but my goal would be to stop a potentially fatal disease
    on the other hand this ain't smallpox
    this is something you've 99% chance of surviving

else even flu's "potentially fatal" why no lockdown for that one?

Put more succinctly, they had their chance to behave. Now it's time for the sledgehammer.
    or a slap on the wrist depending who's flouting the rules eh?

Take it any way you want it, but my goal would be to stop a potentially fatal disease. My concern for the social lives of youngsters who have demonstrated that they will not voluntarily isolate themselves, businesses that will not voluntarily follow guidelines and anyone else who is selfish enough to risk spreading a potentially fatal disease for which isolation is the only effective preventative step doesn't even wiggle the needle on the meter.

You have more of a grounding in reality than say........ stuff i'm not allowed to say.
    Welcome to reality.
    And by the by, I would not use a sledge, I'd want something far larger, a wrecking ball perhaps. This "disease" is killing you off faster than WW1 and WW2 COMBINED and your C-I-C is playing golf every weekend.
    What the actual hell?
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

yet the measles & smallpox vaccines are 100% effective
    No, they're not.

Measles is 96% with a life-long protection.

Smallpox vaccination can protect for about 3 to 5 years. After that time, its ability to protect decreases.

And by the by, I would not use a sledge, I'd want something far larger, a wrecking ball perhaps. This "disease" is killing you off faster than WW1 and WW2 COMBINED and your C-I-C is playing golf every weekend.
    What the actual hell?
    And a SC which apparently decided that religious gatherings don't have to hold themselves to max 10 people or less.

In other Covid-news, the curve in Belgium is going down again... slowly but surely. We'll most likely be celebrating the holidays amongst ourselves, which I have nothing against.

However, my panic attack last night -- one that lasted for far longer than I was able to find control again -- shows that this whole situation is getting to me. It's been nearly a year and a half since I last had a severe attack like I had last night.

Major

You have more of a grounding in reality than say........ stuff i'm not allowed to say.
    Welcome to reality.
    What the actual hell?
    Perhaps it is because of our Constitution?

See this post

mask mandates and such are the purview of the states, not the feds.

You may have read about the SCOTUS decision FH referred to above.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/26/polit...vid/index.html

In dissent, the liberal justices wrote:

Justice Stephen Breyer, joined by Justices Elena Kagan and Sonia Sotomayor, said that the regulations were designed to "fight the rapidly spreading -- and, in many cases, fatal -- COVID-19 virus," and that they allowed the governor to identity hot spots where the virus had spiked. Breyer noted the grisly statistics concerning the virus that has infected more than 12 million Americans and is currently surging. "The Constitution principally entrusts the safety and the health of the people to the politically accountable officials of the States," Breyer wrote.
    Last edited by Annoyed; November 26th, 2020 at 05:33 AM. Reason: additional information

Page 82 of 87 FirstFirst ... 327279808182838485 ... LastLast