The Covid19 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    They have, they did but they are basically being forced to open or lose funding from the federal government.
    It is what it is.
    They have not and didn't.
    According to your logic, the school basically sold out to keep their money spigot flowing. Probably true, the education industry in this country is one of the most corrupt institutions in the history of mankind.

But even given that, why didn't they lock these young skulls full of mush down somehow? You say they did foresee that they would socialize. Why didn't they take effective steps to prevent it?

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      They have not and didn't.
      It has been threatened, constantly at a federal level.
      According to your logic, the school basically sold out to keep their money spigot flowing. Probably true, the education industry in this country is one of the most corrupt institutions in the history of mankind.
      Ignorance is bliss I guess.....
      But even given that, why didn't they lock these young skulls full of mush down somehow? You say they did foresee that they would socialize. Why didn't they take effective steps to prevent it?
      It is what it is.
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Aaand Israel is going into a second nationwide lockdown for the High Holidays. Two weeks of "stay home" followed by two more weeks of extreme restrictions of everything.

The government has basically admitted that all the gains of the spring lockdown have been successfully wasted. Israel has been running headless for a year and we now have world's highest rate of new infections per capita and the economy is running on fumes.
        If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
          Aaand Israel is going into a second nationwide lockdown for the High Holidays. Two weeks of "stay home" followed by two more weeks of extreme restrictions of everything.

The government has basically admitted that all the gains of the spring lockdown have been successfully wasted. Israel has been running headless for a year and we now have world's highest rate of new infections per capita and the economy is running on fumes.
          What else did you expect? If Israel followed our example, we re-opened far too early. People will be stupid and socialize as soon as you give 'em a chance. And they happily proved that, didn't they?

Comment

Not going to provide any links to avoid the appearance of a political disucussion..

But it seems that some governmental entities are insisting that public transportation is safe, while at the same time instituting $50 dollar fines for not wearing a mask while using it.

The question that jumps to the top of the mind is "If it is safe, why do you even need a mask?"

The obvious answer is that it's not really safe, the powers that be just don't want to admit that they're lying through their teeth.

Comment

It's safe if everyone follows safety protocols, wears a mask and maintains social distance. Just like driving a car is safe if everyone follows traffic laws and wears a seat belt, if you dont, you can cause an accident and injure yourself and/or others and you'll get a ticket if caught by law enforcement.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
                It's safe if everyone follows safety protocols, wears a mask and maintains social distance. Just like driving a car is safe if everyone follows traffic laws and wears a seat belt, if you dont, you can cause an accident and injure yourself and/or others and you'll get a ticket if caught by law enforcement.
                No one ever said cars are safe, pedestrians, bicycles, motorcycles even less so. That' why you need to wear seat belts, helmets and such.

And I rather doubt the efficacy of the masks. No one has yet answered my question about how they can possibly be effective if there is enough blowby to fog up glasses almost instantly. Even if you don't wear glasses, everyone's masks are still blowing all that exhaled air right past them.

As I've said, they might stop birds... but not much smaller.

Comment

No one ever said cars are safe, pedestrians, bicycles, motorcycles even less so. That' why you need to wear seat belts, helmets and such.

And I rather doubt the efficacy of the masks. No one has yet answered my question about how they can possibly be effective if there is enough blowby to fog up glasses almost instantly. Even if you don't wear glasses, everyone's masks are still blowing all that exhaled air right past them.

As I've said, they might stop birds... but not much smaller.
                  Those everyday masks aren't meant to be 100% effective. They're meant to limit how much germs you're spreading and how far those germs go. Just like seat belts are not 100% effective in preventing injury and/or death in car accidents.

Non-medical masks are to be used in conjunction with social distancing and are fine to keep most people safe during everyday activities. Right now most people know to take minor cold-like symptoms seriously and will take extra precautions/get tested or stay home or away from others if they're feeling sick, if they're not, they're being irresponsible. The asymptomatic/pre-symptomatic people aren't carrying as much of the virus in them and they aren't spreading their germs are far to begin with so masks (along with social distancing) should be effective at containing/blocking out what's coming from them. If you work in a hospital/doctor's office and are constantly around sick people, you need a medical grade mask. If you have medical conditions that put you at high risk, you can probably buy a good medical grade mask right now or try to limit your exposure to others as much as possible and make extra sure you are staying 6ft from others at all times as well as wearing a regular mask when you do go out.
                  sigpic

Comment

It's disturbing how much misinformation the coronavirus crisis has bred. I don't even want to argue with Annoyed and explain than reduction in chance of infection is better than no reduction.

I've gotten into the habit of carrying two types of masks - disposable ones for relatively crowded environments like buses and shops, and reusable ones for when there is little close contact with other people - like riding my scooter or just taking a walk. I could technically stop using mask when I'm on my scooter, but sometimes I do stop at crosswalk next to other riders etc. Better safe than sorry.
                    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Womble, your PM box is full
                      sigpic
                      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                        Womble, your PM box is full
                        Cleared.

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
                          Those everyday masks aren't meant to be 100% effective.
                          capitalism first (they're 100% effective for the pharma industry)

as well as wearing a regular mask when you do go out.
                          prepare to wear them for the next decade

Comment

No one ever said cars are safe, pedestrians, bicycles, motorcycles even less so. That' why you need to wear seat belts
                            then why exempt some people

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
                              prepare to wear them for the next decade
                              Not likely, at least in the U.S. The legal authority of the state to require them is already being challenged in the courts, with at least one federal court ruling against the state.

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
                              then why exempt some people
                              If in fact they are effective, they shouldn't be exempted.

Comment

I do not know if wearing a mask protects you or if it s just more 'fake news'. but I am prepared to wear one just to be sure.
                                These Muslim women wear a mask all the time they are out, with or without Covid 19 & they do not complain. Better safe than sorry I reckon, & t does not hurt to wear one.
                                (Actually it makes it easier for bank-robbers & muggers.)
                                http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Working...
                                X