The Covid19 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    I think we should follow Ireland's example and go back into full lockdown until december 1st.
    question is when will Ireland go into its 3rd & 4th lockdown?

but we should just bite the bullet
    at this point it's a cannonball

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post

We should also go back into lockdown. It's the only chance we have of getting this under control. but the duration should not be a month and change. Would have to last at least 6 months, likely more.

But the moneymen couldn't stand 2 months at the start of this, what are the chances of us doing 6 or more?
    yours is a country with little to no welfare another lockdown would be even more catastrophic for those on the lower end of the social ladder

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
      question is when will Ireland go into its 3rd & 4th lockdown?

at this point it's a cannonball
      That's a good point At this point, CV is sufficiently widespread that we may not be able to stop it using isolation.

yours is a country with little to no welfare another lockdown would be even more catastrophic for those on the lower end of the social ladder
      I've said in the past that the govt. should provide support for the working class for the duration of any shutdowns required to combat CV.

But it certainly looks like we're going to bail out the airlines doesn't it?

Comment

I feel like complaining about what a waste/mess blended learning is. My daughter goes to school one day a week, on 2 separate occasions, she's been the only child in her class during a period. They've scheduled her for classes that she doesn't actually take. During some classes, the teachers have nothing for the kids to do, so they play on their phones. It looks like the only reason any nyc public school is open, is so the incompetent city and school leadership can claim that schools are open and everything is good. But it's not, it's a mess and and in person learning is pretty much pointless because the kids don't seem to be learning anything when they're actually in the building.
        While she's there in person, she still goes to her online classes (basically the only place she's kind of learning anything). The only reason I haven't made her go full remote is because she wants to go to school because she "doesn't want to be in the house 24/7" (which I understand, the only place she goes right now is school) . If the they're going to have the buildings open for kids to go to, they should have teachers to actually teach them in the building.

NYS is still doing pretty well at containng things, there was a bit of a surge, mainly in some orthodox Jewish communities when their schools reopened and because of the holy days in Sept. Certain members of some of those communities (not all of them of course), felt that they shouldn't have to wear masks or social distance or any of that other stuff, and the amount of people testing postive got high in some areas, so things got shut down there (and fines were issued for violations) . The shutdowns were targeted specifically to the areas with high positive test results. Positivity rates in those areas seem to be going back down now. I think a targeted approach to shutdowns is a good idea. If people in a neighborhood are complying with the health and safety rules and people aren't getting sick in those areas, they shouldnt be forced to shutdown.
        sigpic

Comment

Belgium's federal government isn't keen on going full lockdown, but there's a strong call to cease all amateur sports, which I can fully support.

I didn't attend ropeskipping training yesterday but Covid was only half the reason. The other was that we are getting enough exercise moving boxes and disassembling/reassembling Ikea bookcases. (my sister so eager she almost totally forgot about the shelves -- I had to remind her twice ).

Curfew between midnight and 5am is followed remarkably well. I love the quiet nights.

BUT... our testing labs are having trouble keeping up with all the extensive testing we're doing so there has been a temporary halt to the extensive testing. So now, if you've been in contact with someone who tested positive, you have to quarantine for 10 days. If you don't start exhibiting symptoms, you're not getting tested.

However, this will also mean that asymptomatics are no longer on the covid-radar, which is a little problematic for obvious reasons.

I understand that we have to keep our labs from going under so I hope we can get back to testing everyone soon.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

[QUOTE=VampyreWraith;14695764NYS is still doing pretty well at containng things, there was a bit of a surge, mainly in some orthodox Jewish communities when their schools reopened and because of the holy days in Sept. Certain members of some of those communities (not all of them of course), felt that they shouldn't have to wear masks or social distance or any of that other stuff, and the amount of people testing postive got high in some areas, so things got shut down there (and fines were issued for violations) .[/QUOTE]
            Those would be the same guys who refused to do measles vaccination.

It's not "certain members of some of those communities, it's very specific sects within Orthodox Judaism, which are managed by their spiritual leaders with almost military level of discipline. Coincidentally also militantly hateful towards Israel and any other Jews who aren't part of their particular sect. The Satmar Hassids, Edah HaChareidis etc. They're a small share of Orthodox Jews but in places like New York they concentrate in a single neighborhood in tens of thousands and their militancy begins to dictate the way of life there. I, as a Jew normally quite sympathetic to the Orthodox, have little sympathy for these guys.

Their peers, Peleg Yerushalmi, are doing much the same stuff here. I live in Ramat Gan. The neighboring Bnei Braq is majority-Orthodox. In Ramat Gan, less than 3.5% of people are or have been corona-positive. In Bnei Braq, it's 15%.
            If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

NOTE: *I thought* I had posted this earlier, but ??? It is not political in nature and it was still available via restore auto-saved content, so I'm assuming it was not deleted by mods but either I hit the wrong button or a board oddity. I did remove one sentence which may have been misconstrued though.

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
              I feel like complaining about what a waste/mess blended learning is. My daughter goes to school one day a week, on 2 separate occasions, she's been the only child in her class during a period. They've scheduled her for classes that she doesn't actually take. During some classes, the teachers have nothing for the kids to do, so they play on their phones. It looks like the only reason any nyc public school is open, is so the incompetent city and school leadership can claim that schools are open and everything is good. But it's not, it's a mess and and in person learning is pretty much pointless because the kids don't seem to be learning anything when they're actually in the building.
              While she's there in person, she still goes to her online classes (basically the only place she's kind of learning anything). The only reason I haven't made her go full remote is because she wants to go to school because she "doesn't want to be in the house 24/7" (which I understand, the only place she goes right now is school) . If the they're going to have the buildings open for kids to go to, they should have teachers to actually teach them in the building.
              I agree, it makes little sense to try to educate youngsters by remote. By nature, they have the attention span of a gnat (all kids do) and it's gotta be damn near impossible to keep them focused.

As far as how to solve this problem, I dunno. Only thing I can think of is to put their educational lives "in stasis" for lack of a better term. Give up, shut everything down completely, and next year, or whenever, they pick up where they left off.

NYS is still doing pretty well at containng things, there was a bit of a surge, mainly in some orthodox Jewish communities when their schools reopened and because of the holy days in Sept. Certain members of some of those communities (not all of them of course), felt that they shouldn't have to wear masks or social distance or any of that other stuff, and the amount of people testing postive got high in some areas, so things got shut down there (and fines were issued for violations) . The shutdowns were targeted specifically to the areas with high positive test results. Positivity rates in those areas seem to be going back down now. I think a targeted approach to shutdowns is a good idea. If people in a neighborhood are complying with the health and safety rules and people aren't getting sick in those areas, they shouldnt be forced to shutdown.
              I don't think we are doing so well at containing things. I dunno about some small religious group, but we are seeing a big problem with the colleges. Damned young skulls full of mush just won't stay in their dorms.

As far as lockdowns for specific areas, that would be hard to decide who gets locked. A small hidden town in the deep boonies that gets 2-3 cars passing through town daily, fine.. they're very low risk. But most areas have a lot of traffic and therefore a high number of people going back & forth. High risk areas.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                Those would be the same guys who refused to do measles vaccination.

It's not "certain members of some of those communities, it's very specific sects within Orthodox Judaism, which are managed by their spiritual leaders with almost military level of discipline. Coincidentally also militantly hateful towards Israel and any other Jews who aren't part of their particular sect. The Satmar Hassids, Edah HaChareidis etc. They're a small share of Orthodox Jews but in places like New York they concentrate in a single neighborhood in tens of thousands and their militancy begins to dictate the way of life there. I, as a Jew normally quite sympathetic to the Orthodox, have little sympathy for these guys.

Their peers, Peleg Yerushalmi, are doing much the same stuff here. I live in Ramat Gan. The neighboring Bnei Braq is majority-Orthodox. In Ramat Gan, less than 3.5% of people are or have been corona-positive. In Bnei Braq, it's 15%.
                Thank you for explaining it. I wasn't really sure how to explain it, I just really didn't want to make it sound like all orthodox jews or orthodox Jewish communities have an issue complying with health and safety rules. It's really sad, a lot of people died in these communities throughout the pandemic because they're being misled by their leaders.
                sigpic

Comment

Certain members of some of those communities (not all of them of course), felt that they shouldn't have to wear masks or social distance
                  social distance?? what's their excuse against social distancing? (doesnt take a phd in medicine to know that keeping one's distance is a good idea during an epidemic)

Comment

social distance?? what's their excuse against social distancing? (doesnt take a phd in medicine to know that keeping one's distance is a good idea during an epidemic)
                    Many, if not most churches are resisting the orders for maximum capacity limits, keeping distant, and such. Myself, I don't see why they think they should be exempt, but other groups and functions are being given a pass, so from their point of view, it's a legitimate point to make.

Oh, and keeping one's distance from others is a damned good idea for general living, not just in an epidemic.

Comment

NOTE: *I thought* I had posted this earlier, but ??? It is not political in nature and it was still available via restore auto-saved content, so I'm assuming it was not deleted by mods but either I hit the wrong button or a board oddity. I did remove one sentence which may have been misconstrued though.

I agree, it makes little sense to try to educate youngsters by remote. By nature, they have the attention span of a gnat (all kids do) and it's gotta be damn near impossible to keep them focused.

As far as how to solve this problem, I dunno. Only thing I can think of is to put their educational lives "in stasis" for lack of a better term. Give up, shut everything down completely, and next year, or whenever, they pick up where they left off.

I don't think we are doing so well at containing things. I dunno about some small religious group, but we are seeing a big problem with the colleges. Damned young skulls full of mush just won't stay in their dorms.

As far as lockdowns for specific areas, that would be hard to decide who gets locked. A small hidden town in the deep boonies that gets 2-3 cars passing through town daily, fine.. they're very low risk. But most areas have a lot of traffic and therefore a high number of people going back & forth. High risk areas.
                      NY's positivity rate is just above 1%. Only 2 other states have a lower rate of positive test results. Colleges (and I think all schools) are required to go full remote if they reach a certain positivity rate. I know some of them have been shut down. At work we have employees that took leave to go back to schools upstate. Their schools got shutdown so they came back to work. I think most colleges are all remote down here. My son goes to a CUNY school and his classes are all online.

I don't think it's reasonable to give kids an entire year off from school. Even during summer vacation kids forget what they learned in school, giving them a year off would set them back a lot. I think most kids learn better in a classroom setting, but remote learning is better than no learning at all. My problem is that if you're going to have schools open for kids to go to, you should actually have teachers there to teach the kids in them, otherwise it's a waste and it ends up seeming like the only reason the schools are open is for the vanity of saying we opened schools.

Keeping schools closed also screws over parents who need to work. It's not so bad for me because my kids are older, can be left by themselves and they don't need my help to figure out Google classroom and zoom. But a lot of parents with younger kids are kind of screwed. My neighbor is a nurse. She has 2 young children, her mother watched the kids while school wasn't in session, but her mother's primary language isn't English and she's not technologically savy, she can't help the kids with remote learning. My neighbor had to pay to put her kids in catholic school so they could get an education and she and her husband could work. They don't have a ton of money, but they could manage it. A lot of other people don't have the luxury of sending their kids to private school or getting a sitter capable of helping the kids with remote learning.

They're shutting non essential businesses and limiting activities in zip codes with high positivity rates. Some of the neighborhoods had positivity rates way higher than the rest of the state (some of them had around a 10% positivity rate) . Most, of those neighborhoods had a large orthodox Jewish communities of certain sects. They were have large get togethers (weddings and the like), they weren't following safety protocols in schools or places of worship and that was allowing covid to spread more. Yeah, the people that live in those neighborhoods could go to other places (and it was never about keeping people contained to a neighborhood), so it would be up to the businesses and people in those other places to follow safety rules to minimize the spread.
                      sigpic

Comment

My aunt tested negative. A little positive news at least...

Comment

Many, if not most churches are resisting the orders for maximum capacity limits, keeping distant, and such. Myself, I don't see why they think they should be exempt, but other groups and functions are being given a pass, so from their point of view, it's a legitimate point to make.

Oh, and keeping one's distance from others is a damned good idea for general living, not just in an epidemic.
                          Some religions/cultures rely heavily on interacting with other members of their faith/community. That's not really the main problem though. The whole virus thing is really politicized (not just on the larger scale but a smaller scale within different religious communities), and some people were feeling like they were getting mixed messages about what's safe to do and what's not safe to do, there are some that feel like God will protect them or whatever. Being indoors, without a mask, in close contact with others is how covid spreads best and that was the main issue causing the surges in the communities.
                          sigpic

Comment

Some religions/cultures rely heavily on interacting with other members of their faith/community. That's not really the main problem though. The whole virus thing is really politicized (not just on the larger scale but a smaller scale within different religious communities), and some people were feeling like they were getting mixed messages about what's safe to do and what's not safe to do, there are some that feel like God will protect them or whatever. Being indoors, without a mask, in close contact with others is how covid spreads best and that was the main issue causing the surges in the communities.
                            How long have I been saying this whole thing is being driven by politics, at least in this country?

Comment

My aunt tested negative. A little positive news at least...
                              But my grandfather is about to join the statistics of people dying on average per week.

He was admitted to the ER today, and covid is ravaging his lungs. My aunt was with him earlier during the day and has to quarantine again and has to get tested again monday.

It looks like I'll be burying both grandfathers in a span of a few weeks.
                              Condsidering half of the family is in quarantine or sick, and he dies today or in the coming days, the funeral will have to be pushed back until everyone's healed up or out of quarantine.

2020 -- truly sucks.

Comment

But my grandfather is about to join the statistics of people dying on average per week.

He was admitted to the ER today, and covid is ravaging his lungs. My aunt was with him earlier during the day and has to quarantine again and has to get tested again monday.

It looks like I'll be burying both grandfathers in a span of a few weeks.
                                Condsidering half of the family is in quarantine or sick, and he dies today or in the coming days, the funeral will have to be pushed back until everyone's healed up or out of quarantine.

2020 -- truly sucks.
                                Sorry to hear about your relations. I hope they do as well as they can.

Yes, 2020 really has sucked. But the way things are going and the law of entropy says it can only get worse.

Comment

Working...
                                X