The Covid19 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
    You're what? 20s or 30's? I've had at least 30 or more years experience with things going wrong than you do.
    I'm 39.

Still far behind probably.

Regarding cats, I really hope that is not accurate.
    Both cases where felines were infected were reported cases of owners or caregivers (the Brooklyn Zoo tiger) having been positive corona infections so it's definitely a possibility but I do think more study is required.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Why are you trying to bring facts into this FH?
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Regarding cats, I really hope that is not accurate. I have two cats, otherwise I live alone. There simply is no way to isolate them for their protection in case I've been infected. I have to feed and care for them, there is no one else to do so. I had to put their sister down last year after she suffered what in human terms would be congestive heart failure at age 11. These two are about 12, so they're no spring chickens, just a their owner is an old coot.

On the other hand, that study came out of China, and I'm not of a mind to believe anything coming out of that country regarding this. This disease sprang from Wuhan, and China has been feeding us an awful lot of BS on it.
        The tigers are from the Bronx zoo, so if the big cats can get it the little cats might be able to too. It wasn't mentioned that it was deadly in cats, so maybe if they get it, it's only like a little cold for them. If you get sick, I guess you can wear a mask/face covering around them and make sure you wash your hands well before handling their food and stuff. Maybe try to avoid having them lick your face. If they go outside and there are other cats in your area, maybe try keep them in for a bit, just in case.

I also have 2 cats, they're both 2, they're siblings and were born in my backyard. I wasn't able to bring them both in at the same time, so one only has 1 eye because she had an eye infection that went untreated as a kitten (she's very shy and it took a long time to get her to trust me enough to allow me to pick her up and bring her inside, I'm sure the pain from her eye infection also didn't help matters). Mine haven't been outside since I brought them in and have shown no interest in going back outside (one of mine barely leaves the room I have reserved for the cats that the dogs aren't allowed into). I have have a waterer and feeder thing for them too, so I don't have to give them more food and water every day.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
          The tigers are from the Bronx zoo, so if the big cats can get it the little cats might be able to too. It wasn't mentioned that it was deadly in cats, so maybe if they get it, it's only like a little cold for them. If you get sick, I guess you can wear a mask/face covering around them and make sure you wash your hands well before handling their food and stuff. Maybe try to avoid having them lick your face. If they go outside and there are other cats in your area, maybe try keep them in for a bit, just in case.

I also have 2 cats, they're both 2, they're siblings and were born in my backyard. I wasn't able to bring them both in at the same time, so one only has 1 eye because she had an eye infection that went untreated as a kitten (she's very shy and it took a long time to get her to trust me enough to allow me to pick her up and bring her inside, I'm sure the pain from her eye infection also didn't help matters). Mine haven't been outside since I brought them in and have shown no interest in going back outside (one of mine barely leaves the room I have reserved for the cats that the dogs aren't allowed into). I have have a waterer and feeder thing for them too, so I don't have to give them more food and water every day.
          All of mine are littermates, including the one that died from heart failure. A second of the 3 already has a precursor for that, feline hyperthyroid or something like that, he gets medication for that twice a day, but his heart and breathing seem normal, as opposed to the one who died, who was always a fast, shallow breather.

They've never been allowed outside after I adopted them, and have never even made a serious try at getting out.. Not that they could. Entry to the home is via a porch that I handle like an airlock; inside door never open at the same time as the outside door. They haven't got a prayer of getting loose. It's understandable from their perspective; I was not their first owner. Prior owner just up and moved away, leaving a litter of 6 living outside their former home. They may never try to get out due to that experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
            Why are you trying to bring facts into this FH?
            Only my age is fact.
            Seems I got the zoo wrong.

The tigers are from the Bronx zoo, so if the big cats can get it the little cats might be able to too.
            We have a Covid-cat in Belgium. Her symptoms were difficulty breathing and diarrhea. The owner had been ill with corona.

Comment

All of mine are littermates, including the one that died from heart failure. A second of the 3 already has a precursor for that, feline hyperthyroid or something like that, he gets medication for that twice a day, but his heart and breathing seem normal, as opposed to the one who died, who was always a fast, shallow breather.

They've never been allowed outside after I adopted them, and have never even made a serious try at getting out.. Not that they could. Entry to the home is via a porch that I handle like an airlock; inside door never open at the same time as the outside door. They haven't got a prayer of getting loose. It's understandable from their perspective; I was not their first owner. Prior owner just up and moved away, leaving a litter of 6 living outside their former home. They may never try to get out due to that experience.
              That's good that they're not allowed out, they can pick up all sorts of things outside or get attacked or get hit by a car (this happened a few years ago to a previous cat I had that got out when the door was left open by a repairman). As long as you're careful and taking care of yourself when you go out grocery shopping or whatever, and take some precautions inside the house if you're worried that you could have gotten infected, they should be safe from this.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                Only my age is fact.
                Seems I got the zoo wrong.

We have a Covid-cat in Belgium. Her symptoms were difficulty breathing and diarrhea. The owner had been ill with corona.
                Did the cat recover? Annoyed seems to distrust information that comes from China (which isn't really unreasonable given the way the government of that country handled certain things especially in relation to Covid).
                sigpic

Comment

wait so that thing can make animals sick too? I thought animals can only be carriers +_-

Comment

Yeah, unfortunately kitties can get sick. There's no real info yet that cats or other pets can get humans sick, but it's been shown in certain studies that certain animals like cats can get sick from humans and pass it on to at least other animals of the same species. I think I read that dogs can test positive but don't actually get sick from it or pass it on to other dogs (I don't think it's been really established whether or not they can pass anything to humans yet, but there's been no evidence of it so far).
                    sigpic

Comment

Did the cat recover? Annoyed seems to distrust information that comes from China (which isn't really unreasonable given the way the government of that country handled certain things especially in relation to Covid).
                      You have a talent for understatement, don't you?
                      FH mentioned that cat last week, but it was unconfirmed as of that time. I don't *think* it died.

Comment

That's good that they're not allowed out, they can pick up all sorts of things outside or get attacked or get hit by a car (this happened a few years ago to a previous cat I had that got out when the door was left open by a repairman). As long as you're careful and taking care of yourself when you go out grocery shopping or whatever, and take some precautions inside the house if you're worried that you could have gotten infected, they should be safe from this.
                        This place might as well be a war zone when it comes to small domestic animals. Within 1/2 mile of me, at the current time, there are at least 4-5 families of coyotes or possibly foxes, and many more predators that I don't even recognize enough to identify.

And that's nothing compared to the cars. We are way overcrowded here, with some fantastically stupid decisions about road/highway design that seems designed to deliberately frustrate drivers. This leads to a very hostile environment where drivers don't stop for anything.

Hell, I wouldn't let a teenager outside without a leash, let alone a small pet.
                        Last edited by Annoyed; 09 April 2020, 09:11 AM.

Comment

This place might as well be a war zone when it comes to small domestic animals. Within 1/2 mile of me, at the current time, there are at least 4-5 families of coyotes or possibly foxes, and many more predators that I don't even recognize enough to identify.

And that's nothing compared to the cars. We are way overcrowded here, with some fantastically stupid decisions about road/highway design that seems designed to deliberately frustrate drivers. This leads to a very hostile environment where drivers don't stop for anything,

Hell, I wouldn't let a teenager outside without a leash, let alone a small pet.
                          The biggest animals that pets by me would have issues with outdoors are raccoons (we have opossums too, but they're not as big). I live relatively close to a park, so we can get a lot of raccoons during certain times of the year.

There are also a lot of stray and feral cats by me. My cats' mother was one, and so was their grandmother. I fed all three of them, and their mom would actually let me pet her. My cats' grandmother had a litter at around the same time my cats were born and I would feed them too occasionally, but they came by later and grandma cat was super wild. She'd come pretty close to me to get food, but wouldn't allow any petting. The elderly couple across the street from me have a little cat colony in their garage/yard. They bring in the cats that are friendly enough and try to spay/neuter some of the others. They ended up spaying my cats' mom not to long ago and they tried to bring her inside to live, but she was too wild and just wanted to go back out, so she's still roaming around.

My street isn't too busy, but some people just use that as an opportunity to go way beyond the legal speed limit. It's a bit busier a few blocks away, and every time I see a cat crossing one of those streets I worry it's going to get hit by a car
                          sigpic

Comment

on the plus side our best friends are apparently impervious

and they can be trained to sniff it out - double zing (could make for a far quicker & cheaper test)

https://www.citylab.com/life/2020/04...ection/609403/

the training gonna take time though

Comment

My street isn't too busy, but some people just use that as an opportunity to go way beyond the legal speed limit. It's a bit busier a few blocks away, and every time I see a cat crossing one of those streets I worry it's going to get hit by a car
                              Unfortunately, it's very common to see dead animals along the side of the road around here. So sad 'cause you know someone's beloved pet isn't going to get home.

Comment

Did the cat recover?
                                It was sick for a couple of days but it came out okay, with a little love, care and mandatory quarantine.
                                As did the owner.

Comment

Working...
                                X