Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 115158596061
Results 1,201 to 1,208 of 1208
  1. #1201
    Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    ...out there...
    Posts
    35,003

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mad_gater View Post
    meh....home ownership ain't all it's cracked up to be

    don't know how it works over there but here in the states for a stand-alone house you got property taxes, homeowner's liability insurance (required to have, other property insurance might be required depending on where your house is too, such as flood insurance in flood-prone areas), and then you have to also spend money to pay contractors to maintain and/or upgrade the house
    We're renting an apartment so that's just money lost... Now, we'll have to pay off a loan but at least it will be worth it in the end.

    Sidenote: I already own half a house. The other half is owned by my sister. It was gifted to us by our grandfather. Cheaper than inheriting after he dies.

    We have mandatory fire insurance. Property taxes. Then there's the insurance you have to take on the loan (in case you expire before having paid off the loan so that the other party doesn't have to also pay off your half of it).

    The owner of our appartment has been steadily increasing our rent beyond what is worth. He once made us pay extra for the maintenance fees of the building which, at the time, we didn't even have to pay for. That was all on him. When our neighbor found out he got really mad with the owner of the place and ever since then, the owner made sure never to dock us for those costs again.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 9 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

  2. #1202
    Colonel mad_gater's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    7,076

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    We're renting an apartment so that's just money lost... Now, we'll have to pay off a loan but at least it will be worth it in the end.

    Sidenote: I already own half a house. The other half is owned by my sister. It was gifted to us by our grandfather. Cheaper than inheriting after he dies.

    We have mandatory fire insurance. Property taxes. Then there's the insurance you have to take on the loan (in case you expire before having paid off the loan so that the other party doesn't have to also pay off your half of it).

    The owner of our appartment has been steadily increasing our rent beyond what is worth. He once made us pay extra for the maintenance fees of the building which, at the time, we didn't even have to pay for. That was all on him. When our neighbor found out he got really mad with the owner of the place and ever since then, the owner made sure never to dock us for those costs again.
    unfortunately as I said above here in the states many people my generation and younger can't afford not only the money but also the time it takes to keep up a house....due largely to crippling student loan debt but also to bad career choices...our generation here in the states will probably be the "renter's generation"

  3. #1203
    Colonel mad_gater's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    7,076

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    That ad runs constantly around here. That lady with the chain saw had better not come around here or she's going to find that chainsaw protruding from where the sun don't shine. And I may not shut it off before inserting it.

    Oh, and keep your mitts off my cars, too. I'm far too old for that kind of crap these days, and you can't do fun stuff like engine swaps anymore, 'cause the annual safety inspection is in reality an emissions inspection these days, but I've done more than my share of project cars in the past.
    not to mention that on modern cars these days, parts that could easily be swapped out in the past yourself are now buried so deeply you'd practically have to dismantle the whole car to get to it...and then there's all the electrical gizmos nowadays that make modern cars look like the Starship Enterprise inside...just about need to be a computer scientist to work with those components

  4. #1204
    Janet Fraiser Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,921

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mad_gater View Post
    not to mention that on modern cars these days, parts that could easily be swapped out in the past yourself are now buried so deeply you'd practically have to dismantle the whole car to get to it...and then there's all the electrical gizmos nowadays that make modern cars look like the Starship Enterprise inside...just about need to be a computer scientist to work with those components
    I can deal with the engine controls well enough, it's still an internal combustion engine, and it still needs the same basic things to work.

    But I really pity the kids growing up today. Back when I was a kid, one of if not the most important steps in growing up was getting your license and a car. And it was so much more affordable to build something really nice back then. Most high schoolers could afford to buy and or put together a decent ride from the used market and do-it-yourself. These days, regulations and insurance mandates have driven the cost of ownership so high, a kid is lucky to afford a tricycle.

    I used to prefer Dodge/Chrysler products until they turned to crap in the mid-70's and then went to GM mid-size cars. Something like a Chevy Malibu or an Olds Cutlass. Buy one used for dirt cheap and drop a 454 or 455 engine in it and away you go. They were easy to work on, and more importantly, if you could build it, it was legal to put it on the road.

    On the other hand... I've seen engine swaps go horribly wrong, too. Buddy of mine in high school thought it would be a good idea to put a built Chevy 454 big block (roughly 450 HP and 500 Ft/Lb of torque out of the box, significantly higher when built) into a Chevy Vega.

    I told the guy all winter long while he was working on it it would be an epic fail, and why.

    Sure 'nuff, first time he rolled it out of the driveway, he never got it past 1/2 throttle before the entire body twisted up like a candy cane, sprung the doors, windows, everything. There was simply no way a crappy unibody chassis designed for a 90 HP P.O.S. engine was going to stand up to the power that engine could put out. To this day, it's still one of the best "I told you so" moments of my life.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  5. #1205
    Janet Fraiser Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,921

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mad_gater View Post
    unfortunately as I said above here in the states many people my generation and younger can't afford not only the money but also the time it takes to keep up a house....due largely to crippling student loan debt but also to bad career choices...our generation here in the states will probably be the "renter's generation"
    I'm sorry, but I have another term for them. And it ain't exactly complementary.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  6. #1206
    Colonel mad_gater's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    7,076

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    I'm sorry, but I have another term for them. And it ain't exactly complementary.
    well unfortunately I'll probably be one of the perpetual "renter's generation" as I'm one of the people in that boat....lots of debt and not much to show for it

    can probably thank the disappearance of all the old reliable middle-class jobs for that (ones where you only needed basic high school education but were still paid decently enough to be able to support yourself, a family, and a house, like the old manufacturing jobs)

    I was unfortunately a slow-learner.....stubbornly stuck it out in college till one day finally realized I just wasn't cut out for university education and by then it was too late....already amassed quite a backlog of student loan debt :/

  7. #1207
    Janet Fraiser Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,921

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mad_gater View Post
    well unfortunately I'll probably be one of the perpetual "renter's generation" as I'm one of the people in that boat....lots of debt and not much to show for it

    can probably thank the disappearance of all the old reliable middle-class jobs for that (ones where you only needed basic high school education but were still paid decently enough to be able to support yourself, a family, and a house, like the old manufacturing jobs)

    I was unfortunately a slow-learner.....stubbornly stuck it out in college till one day finally realized I just wasn't cut out for university education and by then it was too late....already amassed quite a backlog of student loan debt :/
    That is a big problem, has been for a long time, caused by money, but that discussion is far beyond what we are allowed to discuss here. But you seem to be a reasonably intelligent sort, it's not that hard to figure out the details.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  8. #1208
    Janet Fraiser Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,921
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 115158596061

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 52
    Last Post: January 20th, 2011, 05:04 AM
  2. The ANTI "ANTI-Character Thread" Thread.
    By fuchsia in forum SGA Characters and Relationships
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: September 5th, 2008, 10:53 AM
  3. Multi thread: The Tigh, Helo and Apollo ROCK thread.....
    By P-90_177 in forum Battlestar Galactica
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 20th, 2007, 07:43 AM
  4. Elizabeth Weir Appreciation Thread (Pro Thread)
    By Ebony Wolf in forum SGA Characters and Relationships
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 24th, 2006, 10:24 PM
  5. Daniel/Oma ship thread or Oma/Anubis ship thread
    By NG.1 in forum SG-1 Characters & Relationships
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: August 21st, 2005, 09:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •