No announcement yet.

The Covid19 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have 40 diagnosed cases in the local hospital in King's Lynn (Norfolk, UK) while we had "only" 23 on last Friday. It is a massive increase. Unfortunately 7 out of 40 have died.

Some people are still irresponsible. Somebody has organised a barbecue party with 30 guests and the police was called to send them home. : shame bell : should return.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
      There are no "clean" areas. If they have a few cases, they'll have more cases soon. A lot of theses "clean" or "almost clean" areas don't have shelter in place rules or the like yet and aren't really practicing social distancing even when they're supposed to be because they don't feel it's a problem in their communities (as long as they keep certain people out, anyway). If people coming from out of town are quarantined/ staying home anyway, they shouldn't be posing a risk.
      I know of a rural area over 50 miles far from NYC, I looked up a few days ago the stats for my sister (who is in another state), and found 8 active cases of COVID-19 with 2 deaths. Don't know what it is now, but one of the neighbors there got feverish last week, fainted yesterday and fell on or by the curb. Her live-at-home kids are both still working in public stores, so how many things did they touch and how many people came in contact with those things who now might have this virus...? Hmmm. more spreading... one of the kids isn't taking the precautions too seriously, so... multiply that times how many others might be doing the same...

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        I definitely did not have Covid-19 two weeks ago cause I definitely could still smell my cat's poo.
        Even though my nose was definitely stuffed.
        I wouldn't know by that symptom at all. I was born without a sense of smell. Taste works fine, though.

I was thinking of those who were quarantined in Belgium at the start -- those who were brought back from other cruise ships and affected countries. They were quarantined at a military base.

Over here...

Air travel is allowed but only to return home.
        Bus travel is allowed but you have to get on in the back of the bus, and every other chair is inaccessible so that a distance of 1.5 meters is maintained at all times. Very few people travel by public transport so the services have been scaled back considerably. Same for train travel.

Travelling by car -- only to go to work, and essential shopping if necessary. Everything else is off-limits, including driving to a park to go for a walk.

Borders are closed and we have checkpoints in place on the borders with The Netherlands since they don't have a lockdown like we do. They are aiming for herd immunity though are steadily reaching the maximum capacity of their ICU units.
        We are a very different people.

We have nothing of that sort over here. While there are legal sanctions for ignoring precautions, you basically have to stand on the streetcorner and yell out "I'm ignoring the crisis, arrest me!" to get law enforcement involved.
        We have no checkpoints, nothing. While there are borders between the states, they are simply evident as "Welcome to Hell" road signs on the interstates. Under normal circumstances we are by far a more open, unfettered society than most.

However, when restrictions are needed, we also have a tendency to ignore them. People don't stay home, social distancing is often impossible to maintain and things of that nature. I posted that article about some millennial douchebag saying he wasnt going to give up his partying or weekend because some folks are sick. Locally, we had some guy lie through his teeth to hospital personnel in order to be with his wife in the delivery room (he was sick and lied about it to get in)

This all adds up to why I'm so strident about the government doing what it can. Shut down air and other mass transit, quarantine areas with high levels of infection and so forth. I know the population won't obey common sense if given a choice, so the govt. should do what it can to take that choice away from them.

For example, I know VampyreWraith will scream bloody murder over this, but I think NYC and the entire region known as the tri-state area ought to be quarantined, and I mean enforced. Remember the movie "Escape From New York? Something along those lines. Maybe Trump can build his wall there since he can't get it built on the southern border.

Regarding cruise ships and such, I say anchor offshore, do your quarantine there, then be allowed do dock. If you allow it to dock and they're supposed to be quarantined here before release, you can bet that someone will get some sob story in front of some soft-brained bureaucrat who will let them out. Keep 'em off shore, and they can't get out unless they are very good swimmers.

Yes, I sound like a draconian arsehat, but my only priority is to stop the spread of this as soon as possible. And I will admit to a self-preservation motive as well. I am both old enough and have pre-existing medical issues that put me at a higher risk than most.

Comment

You dont know that the people coming in are carriers of anything, if they're quarantined in their house they're not spreading anything around. People should be more worried about getting it from their neighbors that they're hanging out all over the place with, than the few people from out of town who are staying in their house.
          NYC (and any city of such obscene size) is by its very nature a breeding ground for diseases. People are so crammed in together in such close proximity to each other that it's nearly impossible to avoid anything that's going around. NYC & the entire tri-state area is an enormous concentration of victims of this, and I'm sure most don't even know it yet, because we don't have readily available testing yet; you can't go to drugstore and buy a kit. Hell, you can't even buy isopropyl alcohol or disinfectant wipes at most of 'em these days. Forget about preventative masks and such. Oh, and TP is iffy, too.

So if we have an exodus from NYC, what are the odds that many of those refugees are unknowingly carrying? And we also know how well they can be expected to behave at their new location if allowed to flee.

Granted, it sucks to be from that region at this time, but why should they be allowed to place clean or even cleaner areas at increased risk?

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
            NYC (and any city of such obscene size) is by its very nature a breeding ground for diseases. People are so crammed in together in such close proximity to each other that it's nearly impossible to avoid anything that's going around. NYC & the entire tri-state area is an enormous concentration of victims of this, and I'm sure most don't even know it yet, because we don't have readily available testing yet; you can't go to drugstore and buy a kit. Hell, you can't even buy isopropyl alcohol or disinfectant wipes at most of 'em these days. Forget about preventative masks and such. Oh, and TP is iffy, too.

So if we have an exodus from NYC, what are the odds that many of those refugees are unknowingly carrying? And we also know how well they can be expected to behave at their new location if allowed to flee.

Granted, it sucks to be from that region at this time, but why should they be allowed to place clean or even cleaner areas at increased risk?
            :me screaming bloody murder:

There's been no exodus though, there's been mostly people with second homes in other places going to them. Those people are the ones likely to behave. They're not the idiots who want to go to Miami or wherever to party on the beach (that's not what most people leaving the nyc area are doing). The vast majority of people in the nyc area don't have second homes and aren't going anywhere. A proposed "enforceable" quarantine, though would likely cause more panic than already exists and an exodus (exactly what you're trying to avoid).
            sigpic

Comment

I definitely did not have Covid-19 two weeks ago cause I definitely could still smell my cat's poo.
              or maybe you're affected & you don't know sh**

(crappy attempt at pun I know)

(double combo, yo)

Our deaths now also include a 12-year old with no prior medical history. She just took a turn for the worst without warning.
              I read about it did they say what exactly was the cause of death? (like a cytokine storm or something) I couldn't find details

Comment

I don't know what I have. I have a cough, but it was really only bad during one night. I had a slight fever for a day (it was just above what's considered a low grade fever). I'm tired and have some body aches (but those are mostly gone). I had a bit of a runny nose on the night I was coughing a lot, but not anymore. My throat feels weird, but it's not really sore or anything. I don't have a stuffy nose, but I can't really smell things the way that I'm normally able to. I haven't noticed the smell of the cats' litter box even though it has plenty in it. I also haven't been able to smell when one of my dogs goes to the bathroom in the crate (one of my dogs has a big crate lined with wee wee pads that she uses as a bathroom because she's afraid to go to the bathroom outside, she's still young and I'm trying to get her out of that habit). I pretty much just stuck my face into a bag containing soiled wee wee pads and it didn't really smell like anything lol. I also can't smell the Angry Orange spray cleaner that I use to clean the dog messes and that normally smells pretty potent. Everything tastes off, but that's normal with me and colds. I've also been having headaches, but headaches are common for me too. I think my 19 yr old son has whatever I have, and he started feeling a bit sick first, so he may have gotten whatever it is first. He hasn't really been out since he stopped going to work (none of us really has been out since work/school stopped) so whatever he has, he probably picked it up before that at work or on the bus on the to/from work. My 13yr old daughter seems to be fine (unless you count her moodiness lol) Whatever I have isn't making me or anyone in my house too sick at all right now, and hopefully it stays that way.

Don't worry Annoyed, I don't have any plans on coming up into your area or going anywhere else either. And I haven't gone anywhere or been near enough to anyone in the past week and a half to get anyone sick with anything during that time.
                sigpic

Comment

Don't worry Annoyed, I don't have any plans on coming up into your area or going anywhere else either. And I haven't gone anywhere or been near enough to anyone in the past week and a half to get anyone sick with anything during that time.
                  I knew there was a reason you were so against locking that part of the country down.

Actually, sounds similar to what I've had since way before Corona started showing up in the US (late Jan./Early Feb). Mild sniffles, and tiredness are all I'm seeing though. The smell thing is useless for me, as I mentioned earlier, I was apparently born without a sense of smell. I can't even smell skunks.

Comment

I don't know what I have. I have a cough, but it was really only bad during one night. I had a slight fever for a day (it was just above what's considered a low grade fever). I'm tired and have some body aches (but those are mostly gone). I had a bit of a runny nose on the night I was coughing a lot, but not anymore. My throat feels weird, but it's not really sore or anything. I don't have a stuffy nose, but I can't really smell things the way that I'm normally able to.
                    loss of smell's not exclusive to covid
                    flu can also cause loss of smell
                    so far all your symptoms could be consistent with flu

apparently the one to watch out for is shortness of breath that one's a Covid-exclusiv
                    (the common flu never causes shortness of breath)

Comment

I knew there was a reason you were so against locking that part of the country down.

Actually, sounds similar to what I've had since way before Corona started showing up in the US (late Jan./Early Feb). Mild sniffles, and tiredness are all I'm seeing though. The smell thing is useless for me, as I mentioned earlier, I was apparently born without a sense of smell. I can't even smell skunks.
                      LOL, that's right, im already planning my escape. I've always wanted to visit upstate, maybe I'll pack up the kids in the dead of night and take a trip just in case they change their minds about that quarantine. Don't know where I'd actually stay once I get to my undisclosed destination, but minor details like that aren't really important

I usually have a really good sense of smell so it was really weird when I realized I couldn't smell much of anything. My son seems to be having the same issue too. I really hope it's only the sniffles for you (and it probably is if you've had it since so long ago, or maybe it's allergies?), since I know you've mentioned you're old and have some medical conditions before in these threads.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post

apparently the one to watch out for is shortness of breath that one's a Covid-exclusiv
                        I've had the flu before, like years ago, it was actually a lot worse than anything I have now, but could still smell things through my stuffy nose. I've never had this not being able to smell anything through a clear nose before, it's just weird. I don't think I've had any shortness of breath, so that's good. I could just have a very mild case of the flu or just a regular cold too or something else entirely. I'm not very concerned about it whatever it is, since it's not really bothering me. I won't be trying to go to a doctor for it and the only way I'm ever going to a hospital is if I'm on death's door (or about to give birth, but I'm not pregnant, so that's not an issue now lol)
                        Last edited by VampyreWraith; 31 March 2020, 02:18 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

NYC (and any city of such obscene size) is by its very nature a breeding ground for diseases.
                          . . .
                          . . .

There's been no exodus though, there's been mostly people with second homes in other places going to them. Those people are the ones likely to behave....
                          As for NYC folks migrating westward? IDK if there was a mass exodus, but I *did* notice several NY license plate vehicles traveling along the Pennsy/NJ side of NJ... One vehicle went into the local Shoprite along the way...! (TP invader?) Anywho, could be NYC or even NY State people visiting their families and taking care of and shopping or running errands for their grandparents or parents for the duration. IDK... Just observing what I saw. NJ is on a mandatory "shelter in place" order.

I don't know what I have. I have a cough, but it was really only bad during one night. I had a slight fever for a day (it was just above what's considered a low grade fever). I'm tired and have some body aches (but those are mostly gone). I had a bit of a runny nose on the night I was coughing a lot, but not anymore. My throat feels weird, but it's not really sore or anything. I don't have a stuffy nose, but I can't really smell things the way that I'm normally able to. I haven't noticed the smell of the cats' litter box even though it has plenty in it. I also haven't been able to smell when one of my dogs goes to the bathroom in the crate (one of my dogs has a big crate lined with wee wee pads that she uses as a bathroom because she's afraid to go to the bathroom outside, she's still young and I'm trying to get her out of that habit). I pretty much just stuck my face into a bag containing soiled wee wee pads and it didn't really smell like anything lol.
                          Ewwwwwwwwwww. THAT is bad!

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post

Yes... here is a sort of update... with Shortness of Breath details further below...

Okay... *some* disclosure. I *HAVE* severe allergies... to mostly anything GREEN and growing outside. That being stated, I *am* still able to smell and taste all sorts of smells and flavors. Have had these allergies since 7th grade in junior high school (about 50 years). Use a saline nose spray to clear up sinuses and keep the mucous levels low (better than drowning from a nettie pot, IMO). Still have my sense of all smells and tastes... good so far.. and I'd like to keep it that way.

I am also post-menopause... thus, HOT flashes with fluctuating temps mostly in the 97-98 F ranges, sometimes dips into 96.range too. THAT is normal. So, been taking temp with personal thermometer and also with (costly) infra-red version. No changes. Hot flashes come every hour, sometimes 2 or 3 per every hour. Temp elevates during hot flash, dips down on cooling off. Have had this hot flash problem for 14 awful years, and on 2 other stabilizing meds, one for thyroid (due to damaged thyroid).

Ladies with *meno* issues also sometimes get shortness of breath. When I asked my ladies group about how they were dealing with their meno issues vs. tracking any potential virus symptoms, a few mentioned the shortness of breath... but we think the meno version is ONLY for a few minutes. If a person has the virus, the shortness of breath is more constant and continuous, because the lungs do NOT recover from how this virus invades / covers the lungs from getting proper oxygen... Just a note for further study, I'm guessing.

I've had the flu before, like years ago, it was actually a lot worse than anything I have now, but could still smell things through my stuffy nose. I've never had this not being able to smell anything through a clear nose before, it's just weird. I don't think I've had any shortness of breath, so that's good. I could just have a very mild case of the flu or just a regular cold too or something else entirely. I'm not very concerned about it whatever it is, since it's not really bothering me. I won't be trying to go to a doctor for it and the only way I'm ever going to a hospital is if I'm on death's door (or about to give birth, but I'm not pregnant, so that's not an issue now lol)
                          Just be super careful out there... Treat all symptoms and exposures outside of your home's abode, as IF you were being exposed to this virus. It gets nastier as time progresses, from what I've heard. Complete loss of smell and taste is a PRE-symptom, then comes the fever and dry cough. Shortness of breath increases as the virus invades the lungs and multiplies itself.

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
                            As for NYC folks migrating westward? IDK if there was a mass exodus, but I *did* notice several NY license plate vehicles traveling along the Pennsy/NJ side of NJ... One vehicle went into the local Shoprite along the way...! (TP invader?) Anywho, could be NYC or even NY State people visiting their families and taking care of and shopping or running errands for their grandparents or parents for the duration. IDK... Just observing what I saw. NJ is on a mandatory "shelter in place" order.

Ewwwwwwwwwww. THAT is bad!

Yes... here is a sort of update... with Shortness of Breath details further below...

Okay... *some* disclosure. I *HAVE* severe allergies... to mostly anything GREEN and growing outside. That being stated, I *am* still able to smell and taste all sorts of smells and flavors. Have had these allergies since 7th grade in junior high school (about 50 years). Use a saline nose spray to clear up sinuses and keep the mucous levels low (better than drowning from a nettie pot, IMO). Still have my sense of all smells and tastes... good so far.. and I'd like to keep it that way.

I am also post-menopause... thus, HOT flashes with fluctuating temps mostly in the 97-98 F ranges, sometimes dips into 96.range too. THAT is normal. So, been taking temp with personal thermometer and also with (costly) infra-red version. No changes. Hot flashes come every hour, sometimes 2 or 3 per every hour. Temp elevates during hot flash, dips down on cooling off. Have had this hot flash problem for 14 awful years, and on 2 other stabilizing meds, one for thyroid (due to damaged thyroid).

Ladies with *meno* issues also sometimes get shortness of breath. When I asked my ladies group about how they were dealing with their meno issues vs. tracking any potential virus symptoms, a few mentioned the shortness of breath... but we think the meno version is ONLY for a few minutes. If a person has the virus, the shortness of breath is more constant and continuous, because the lungs do NOT recover from how this virus invades / covers the lungs from getting proper oxygen... Just a note for further study, I'm guessing.

Just be super careful out there... Treat all symptoms and exposures outside of your home's abode, as IF you were being exposed to this virus. It gets nastier as time progresses, from what I've heard. Complete loss of smell and taste is a PRE-symptom, then comes the fever and dry cough. Shortness of breath increases as the virus invades the lungs and multiplies itself.
                            They might be going to the Poconos, I have some family members with second houses out there, and know of other people with houses out there too. 20 or so years ago it was a big thing to have a house in the Poconos, the houses were inexpensive and it was a nice place to go outside of the city and it's only like a 2hr trip.

Before everyone went crazy panic shopping, I bought a combo pack of nyquil/dayquil severe symptom from Amazon. My kids had the flu in Jan and that worked well for them, so I bought more in case any one got sick. I also bought the individual active ingredients (the cough suppressant, expectorant, the acetaminophen for fever, a nasal decongestant). We hardly go outside the house for anything except to bring in packages and to walk the dogs around the block (I'm the one usually walking them). I don't run into anyone on my walks, I live in a pretty quiet neighborhood. I occasionally see other people walking dogs, but I have to cross the street to avoid them since one of my dogs doesn't take well to seeing other dogs on walks. He apparently doesn't like joggers either, he saw one today and started carrying on.
                            sigpic

Comment

Here's something I read about the loss of sense of smell.
                              https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/h...ell-taste.html
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
                                re: stretching those TP supplies a bit longer...

Problem with newsprint and magazines, is that some people are highly allergic to the ink in those publications. It causes a nasty rash that can lead to a major skin infection. Super sensitive skin people would be better off using strips of cut-up, old T-shirts (preferably White.. no ink and easier to bleach), as TP for #1 (urine), and reserve the regular TP for #2 (poop). I think using a cut up (damp) sponge for either might work, too, but would have to be sterilized, in bleach. Bag (or "diaper pail) the used linen/cotton strips (of #1 pee) for a (later) bleach wash. Might want to hand wash that with gloves on, too. As for #2 stools or worse diarrhea... go with the real TP (flushable), but also keep some wet wipes with mineral oil or aloe on the side and do NOT flush down toilet! It messes up your own drains/septic systems, besides sewer treatment plants.

I've been hearing that while most plumbers DO appreciate (generic) *your* business with them , they would like to avoid having to come out and fix those clogged plumbing areas, as long as this virus outbreak is active and transferable.

Addendum... I think when semi-normalcy returns, and people are able to buy REAL TP again, I think that those who have the storage space to do so, might keep about a 3 month minimum supply on hand for the rest of their life. ugh.
                                the problem with using bleach to clean the poo rags is that it will eventually run out, and bleach is one of the things being stock piled/ hoarded and it is hard to find in stores, if you want to truly re use the poo rags, you will need to ignore the stains and run them through the washing machine, then for good measure , just to be sure they are germ free, you can boil them on the stove, it may not get the stains out, but it sure as hell kill the germs.

Comment

Working...
                                X