The Covid19 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    It's been awhile since I heard one Annoyed:s conspiracy theories. You owe me bacon
    I presume you mean me?
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

You can both owe me bacon
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        You can both owe me bacon
        Have to find some first
        we did have a bit a few days ago, but it vanished pretty quickly, which is odd as fresh pork we still maintain supply of even on days we don't get deliveries. I'd love to get a pork roast but only me and my eldest daughter love the piggy and in the sizes we have available it's just not practical.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
          It's probably even lower than that, the death rates in a lot of places are so high because there's been less testing skewing the results . We have done a lot of testing in NY, Cuomo has tried to make it a priority. I don't dont know the current number of tests conducted, but at one point there were 16,000 people tested in a day. There's testing done at public hospitals, but there are a lot of people and not enough resources to test everyone, and it's also been recommended that you only get tested if your showing symptoms, so you dont acutully end up getting infected while you're going out and waiting on line at a testing site.
          then while they're at it why not order lockdowns for the flu too?

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
            then while they're at it why not order lockdowns for the flu too?
            Because we have rotating and year long studies of the strains of flu?
            We actually have vaccines or treatments for the worst cases of flu and if you live in an intelligent country they are provided for free for those most at risk?
            They are not comparable so why bother doing it?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
              Because we have rotating and year long studies of the strains of flu?
              We actually have vaccines or treatments for the worst cases of flu and if you live in an intelligent country they are provided for free for those most at risk?
              They are not comparable so why bother doing it?
              those studies have shown the flu causes many casualties every year (absolute number not %) even if news dont talk about them
              they've shown it spreads just as readily as covid
              they've also shown the antivirals have very limited efficiency (just like the vaccines which are recent btw) against something that adapts faster than Covid

the only positive difference is a lower % fatality rate for the flu

a lockdown would be just as effective against flu as against covid

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
                those studies have shown the flu causes many casualties every year (absolute number not %) even if news dont talk about them
                they've shown it spreads just as readily as covid
                they've also shown the antivirals have very limited efficiency (just like the vaccines which are recent btw) against something that adapts faster than Covid

the only positive difference is a lower % fatality rate for the flu

a lockdown would be just as effective against flu as against covid
                Alright negative Nancy, you do you. I'm not going to argue with you.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                  Alright negative Nancy, you do you. I'm not going to argue with you.
                  that a reference to Pelosi? u dirty Don u

Comment

I don't think a several month lockdown is a viable solution, especially in the US.
                    It's not sustainable to close down that long. But here is the latest bad news...
                    Two new potential COVID-19 cases on opposite sides of the same state just popped up. Neither of these are connected to each other... so if they have the bug, it came from someone or something else.

Case 1) Essential worker went home sick (day or 2 ago?) with possible symptoms (fever, etc.), so that means whoever and *whatever* he was in contact with (equipment/chairs,etc.--touched) in previous 14 days are exposed.

Case 2) Nearby neighbor's mom now sick (today) with possible symptoms. Her 2 adult children work in "essential" stores and may have brought bug home to her, or she picked it up in major hospital center, while visiting her hubby on treatments for chemo (not virus related), week prior before "shelter in place" order became mandatory. Hospital gave her hubby okay to go home, but he can't do that and can't go anywhere else. Sickened mom has sister also living in same house, where they've been taking laundry out to public laundromat... (and so the cycle continues to go around and around...)

Oh, and sickened mom drives both her kids to work every day, since neither of them have a driver's license nor other transportation. So... her car is obviously contaminated... (my hubby & I have been avoiding her and everyone else since before all these shut-downs occurred... she has a immune-compromised system, too, so she is a high risk for becoming seriously ill).

Meantime, her kids should NOT be going to work either, since they live at mom's house. Oh, and one of them was walking outside and touched corner of someone else's fence! When I saw that, I went out there and sanitized that part of the fence down, and beyond--just in case, because the other neighbor is a house bound mom with 2 little toddlers. EEK...!

So, even if the 2 to 3 weeks of staying in place works for NON-essential workers and businesses, (some of) the ESSENTIAL businesses are potential hot beds for spreading the bug even longer. Not a good situation.

As noted prior, it ONLY takes ONE person to start the whole shut-down issue all over again. Where and how the virus is spreading depends on both sides of the public NOT touching or breathing on items put on shelves and/or passing on to customers (money/credit cards). Additionally, customers in those *essential* business places NEED to sanitize (all) items purchased and all other monetary items handled, plus wash their hands...

So, how does one sanitize produce that are not pre-bagged? Or even if pre-bagged, what about the fresh food? How do we protect from that, as well? Suggestion... eat what at home foods already exist. WAIT in buying new stuff? Vinegar is a good veggie cleaner, but might not remove this virus..??
                    Last edited by SGalisa; 26 March 2020, 12:16 PM. Reason: added info...

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                      I think I read though that some people who get it even if they recover wind up with permanent reduced lung capacity and wind up needing at the very least a rescue inhaler for the rest of their lives, basically becoming an asthma patient

I haven't read that, that's sad, especially if their lung capacity is severely reduced.
                      Yes. True about the lungs being damaged and future healing capacity not good enough, but severely reduced.
                      I tried finding a good link that describes how this turns super bad, but one site wanted a subscription, and the others need to dig for the info in other links.
                      Here is a possible answer, but it's over my pay-scale (*snicker*)...

"Here's the Damage Coronavirus (COVID-19) Can Do to Your Lungs"
                      (clevelandclinic-dot-org)
                      March 20, 2020 / Lung

How the coronavirus causes acute respiratory distress syndrome...

...Most importantly, patients who are suffering from ARDS end up having damage to the walls of the air sacs in their lungs — the ones that help oxygen pass through into our red blood cells. That's what doctors term diffuse alvelolar damage.

In a healthy lung, oxygen within these air sacs (alveolus) travels through to small blood vessels (capillaries). These tiny vessels, in turn, deliver the oxygen to your red blood cells.

"Nature has evolved in a way that the wall of alveolus is very, very thin in a normal person so oxygen can easily get from the air space in between to the red blood cell," Dr. Mukhopadhyay explains.

The coronavirus damages both the wall and lining cells of the alveolus as well as the capillaries. The debris that accumulates because of all of that damage lines the wall of the alveolus the same way paint would cover a wall, Dr. Mukhopadhyay points out. The damage to capillaries also causes them to leak plasma proteins that add to the wall’s thickness.

"Eventually, the wall of the alveolus gets thicker than it should be," he notes. "The thicker this wall gets, the harder it is to transfer oxygen, the more you feel short of breath, and the more and more you start moving towards severe illness and possibly death."
                      . . .
                      Sounds similar to what some dermatitis conditions do to thicken skin cells, and what Fibrous cysts do to the body... they show up, build up, and add on to the existing thickened fibers and never dissolve (that is why chest mammograms are important!). Except this virus causes thickening of fibers in the lungs and is not reversible (yet). Thus, the decreased breathing abilities and shortness of breath / asthmatic conditions resulting.

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
                        It's not sustainable to close down that long. But here is the latest bad news...
                        Two new potential COVID-19 cases on opposite sides of the same state just popped up. Neither of these are connected to each other... so if they have the bug, it came from someone or something else.

Case 1) Essential worker went home sick (day or 2 ago?) with possible symptoms (fever, etc.), so that means whoever and *whatever* he was in contact with (equipment/chairs,etc.--touched) in previous 14 days are exposed.

Case 2) Nearby neighbor's mom now sick (today) with possible symptoms. Her 2 adult children work in "essential" stores and may have brought bug home to her, or she picked it up in major hospital center, while visiting her hubby on treatments for chemo (not virus related), week prior before "shelter in place" order became mandatory. Hospital gave her hubby okay to go home, but he can't do that and can't go anywhere else. Sickened mom has sister also living in same house, where they've been taking laundry out to public laundromat... (and so the cycle continues to go around and around...)

Oh, and sickened mom drives both her kids to work every day, since neither of them have a driver's license nor other transportation. So... her car is obviously contaminated... (my hubby & I have been avoiding her and everyone else since before all these shut-downs occurred... she has a immune-compromised system, too, so she is a high risk for becoming seriously ill).

Meantime, her kids should NOT be going to work either, since they live at mom's house. Oh, and one of them was walking outside and touched corner of someone else's fence! When I saw that, I went out there and sanitized that part of the fence down, and beyond--just in case, because the other neighbor is a house bound mom with 2 little toddlers. EEK...!

So, even if the 2 to 3 weeks of staying in place works for NON-essential workers and businesses, (some of) the ESSENTIAL businesses are potential hot beds for spreading the bug even longer. Not a good situation.

As noted prior, it ONLY takes ONE person to start the whole shut-down issue all over again. Where and how the virus is spreading depends on both sides of the public NOT touching or breathing on items put on shelves and/or passing on to customers (money/credit cards). Additionally, customers in those *essential* business places NEED to sanitize (all) items purchased and all other monetary items handled, plus wash their hands...

So, how does one sanitize produce that are not pre-bagged? Or even if pre-bagged, what about the fresh food? How do we protect from that, as well? Suggestion... eat what at home foods already exist. WAIT in buying new stuff? Vinegar is a good veggie cleaner, but might not remove this virus..??

if you wash your fruits and veggies with warm water, and if you FEEL IT NECESSAIRY you can add some soap, to the water, just fill the sink add a teaspoon of soap to the water then dunk it in the water a couple of times and rinse it with warm water, it will do fine, even against this. here is a little info that may have ben missed, the researchers at the CDC level 4 bio labs, that is the Ebola and smallpox and anthrax, ect they use those pressurized full body suits, that you see in movies, when they are done doing research, they rinse off the suits in a shower that uses simple Lysol to kill the germs on the suits, so you don't need to worry, just good old soap and water is all you need to make sure your fruits and veggies are clean.

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
                          It's not sustainable to close down that long.
                          It's more sustainable than large numbers of people getting infected and dying or being left with crippled respiratory systems.

Or are you of the school that believes that the health of wall street is more important than the health of people?

And how badly would it damage the economy if everything just keep recurring because we won't shut down long enough for the virus to play itself out?

Comment

It won't just be an economic crisis (and it won't just be the big shots on wall street affected) if you have a several month long lockdown, there will also be mental health crisis.
                            Even if there is a bit of a spike in cases after the initial lockdown ends, it shouldnt be as bad as the first time around.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                              It's more sustainable than large numbers of people getting infected and dying or being left with crippled respiratory systems.

Or are you of the school that believes that the health of wall street is more important than the health of people?
                              No. I am simply saying if everything shuts down, meaning, potentially even the ESSENTIAL businesses, do you and everyone else affected by these shut-downs, and potential virus exposures, have enough food and supplies stocked up on short notice in some sort of bomb shelter scenario, if you should not venture out of your home/yard because this virus bug just keeps going around in circles ...and passes on to new people further and further into time, who didn't get it before? Most people I know, don't even have enough supplies to last a month, with fresh produce/meats/dairy being among those items for storage (2 weeks maybe, max for those items).

THAT (I think), is what caused part of the panic-buying in the first place... People who did all that buying were expecting to get shut down at any moment. So, they wiped out the ESSENTIAL stores from certain products.

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                              And how badly would it damage the economy if everything just keep recurring because we won't shut down long enough for the virus to play itself out?
                              Very bad. World-wide collapse. In a 3 month shut-down, maybe some businesses will be able to bounce back. Remember what happened in 2001 with the WTC (domino effect hurt many businesses... I know that, because our company was watching the stats and it took six months to hurt our office's work levels), when businesses cut down their working staff nearly in half. This is similar, but 18-19 years ago, most places eventually were able to s-l-o-w-l-y bounce back.

Give this current, deteriorating health situation, a *massive* potential six month shut-down or even longer than *that*, and that might wipe out some businesses permanently. World-wide collapse would be inevitable. THAT is why this whole situation is bad.

It's also not just how much money is lost in retirement funds for people nearing retirement. A $72,000 fund 2 weeks ago, dropped $3,000 in 3 days. Keep that stat going downhill and nothing will be left. People are panicking and some tried to move the monies out into a safer place, but were told that they could not get their funds moved fast enough just yet... so they helplessly watch the rest of their accounts drop, until TPTB move it again.

Might as well hide in some already existing / prepped up bunker, but the only folks I know who can do that are people who already have such shelters (who stocked up steadily over many months with canning, etc. from months prior of steady planning and prepping), and the super wealthy... or people who have friends with such shelters. Even the best of preppers have discussed that those shelters aren't going to be safe enough, if the rest of the world discovers where those shelters are, because those places would be the 2nd line of targeting in the hit lists for raiding. Only the missile silos that got converted might have a better chance at survival, until an earthquake cracks their hidden abodes. Of course, those are the absolute worst case-scenarios, too.

It won't just be an economic crisis (and it won't just be the big shots on wall street affected) if you have a several month long lockdown, there will also be mental health crisis.
                              Yep. Been hearing about some mental health issues, happening even now. So, it's already beginning. Some is related to those who have recovered, but now have lung problems to deal with... and potentially high costing health bills to deal with down the road, as time progresses forward.

Comment

Wow it’s been 5 years since I last posted here. Anyway hope everyone is safe out there. Just checking to see who still posts here.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X