The Covid19 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all,

So here in Israel We currently have 5591 people diagnosed with the Covid-19, 97 of them in serious/critical condition and 21 died. Almost all of the dead were 70-98 year old. One of the guys in serious condition is a 23 year old athlete with no prior medical conditions.

Outside, it's a near-total shutdown. We're allowed to leave home to go to grocery stores, pharmacies or to get urgent medical help, 85% of the economy is closed, and the maximum permitted distance for taking a walk is 100m from your house. My wife and I have managed to not get fired even though we both work in travel; someone needs to clean up the colossal mess and handle all the cancellations. We currently work from home; to be sure, it sucks. Our pay took a hit (wifey is down to 5 working days per week instead of 6, I lost the upsale bonuses since no one's buying anything) but we're staying afloat. It pays to be on the less glamorous, more technical side of the travel business. Trouble is, we just moved to a much more expensive new apartment and spent a huge amount of money buying furniture and appliances; if we lose one or both jobs now we have no financial cushion at all. Israel currently has close to 1 million people on unemployment pay out of 9 million population, and as neither of us has the skills or constitution for physical jobs like construction and neither of us has a driving license to freelance as delivery guys, taking our chances on the job market would suck big time.
    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

You take care of yourself over there Womble!!
      Your next door to one of the most affected countries by this, and you have copped more cases than us. I hate being in retail, but right now it's a mixed blessing I just wish I got more hours as I'm just a casual. When we moved house 6 months ago we ended up paying more for a smaller house and having to spend 240 bucks a month on storage as well just to keep our stuff.
      Eh, what do you do?
      Is Israel introducing protections for renters? (assuming you rent)
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by epg20 View Post
        the problem with using bleach to clean the poo rags is that it will eventually run out, and bleach is one of the things being stock piled/ hoarded and it is hard to find in stores, if you want to truly re use the poo rags, you will need to ignore the stains and run them through the washing machine, then for good measure , just to be sure they are germ free, you can boil them on the stove, it may not get the stains out, but it sure as hell kill the germs.
        Our supply lines are getting back to some form of normality so hopefully the rest of the world will get there soon as well. We are getting bleach by the pallet load, also paper towels and toilet paper. Just hang on guys, take care of yourselves and each other. We are doing all we can to keep up, I'm buying stapes like TP and sugar for my neighbour because I work in a store and have the chance to help them out.
        Be kind.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
          Is Israel introducing protections for renters? (assuming you rent)
          I wish. For now all they're doing is asking the banks to be lenient with loans. Not requiring, asking.
          If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
            I wish. For now all they're doing is asking the banks to be lenient with loans. Not requiring, asking.
            Man, that sucks. We currently have a 6 month moratorium on evictions, rental companies are not doing inspections and while banks are not -forced- to extend forgiveness to the GP right now (they are for businesses, especially small businesses), it's probably going to arrive within the next couple of days.
            Take care of yourself and your wife Womble.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
              I wouldn't know by that symptom at all. I was born without a sense of smell. Taste works fine, though.
              No smell can sometimes be a blessing...

For example, I grew up near a field where a farmer would come every year to fertilize. In such instance, not being able to smell anything would be considered a blessing.

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
              or maybe you're affected & you don't know sh**
              I sincerely hope I don't get it... This is not a gamble I'm willing to take. Thank you very much.
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                Hi all,

So here in Israel We currently have 5591 people diagnosed with the Covid-19, 97 of them in serious/critical condition and 21 died. Almost all of the dead were 70-98 year old. One of the guys in serious condition is a 23 year old athlete with no prior medical conditions.

Outside, it's a near-total shutdown. We're allowed to leave home to go to grocery stores, pharmacies or to get urgent medical help, 85% of the economy is closed, and the maximum permitted distance for taking a walk is 100m from your house. My wife and I have managed to not get fired even though we both work in travel; someone needs to clean up the colossal mess and handle all the cancellations. We currently work from home; to be sure, it sucks. Our pay took a hit (wifey is down to 5 working days per week instead of 6, I lost the upsale bonuses since no one's buying anything) but we're staying afloat. It pays to be on the less glamorous, more technical side of the travel business. Trouble is, we just moved to a much more expensive new apartment and spent a huge amount of money buying furniture and appliances; if we lose one or both jobs now we have no financial cushion at all. Israel currently has close to 1 million people on unemployment pay out of 9 million population, and as neither of us has the skills or constitution for physical jobs like construction and neither of us has a driving license to freelance as delivery guys, taking our chances on the job market would suck big time.
                Hopefully you do get to keep your jobs. You're quite correct, looking for work right now would royally suck. And don't turn your nose up at WAH. I did the last 8 years of my prior job at home, and it was far better than working at the office.

Good luck to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                  No smell can sometimes be a blessing...

For example, I grew up near a field where a farmer would come every year to fertilize. In such instance, not being able to smell anything would be considered a blessing.
                  Based upon the general impression I get, that "sometimes" should read "usually".

If I had to choose a sense to lose, smell would be it. It has the least value of any sense in our modern society. The only real drawback is the inability to detect gas leaks and such. But I have gas alarms on all floors of this house.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                    Based upon the general impression I get, that "sometimes" should read "usually".

If I had to choose a sense to lose, smell would be it. It has the least value of any sense in our modern society. The only real drawback is the inability to detect gas leaks and such. But I have gas alarms on all floors of this house.
                    Loss of sense of smell can lead to loss of taste as well as they are interconnected systems. (much like I get Excema and hay fever).
                    Imagine not being able to taste your steak and scotch dude!!
                    sigpic

Comment

That's it, that would be the end of the world...
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                        That's it, that would be the end of the world...
                        Damn straight it would!!
                        I know you say that in jest my dear, but if I could not taste my food or smell my scotch I would go frigging mad!!
                        These last weeks have been enough of a test, I don't need anymore.
                        I am extremely grateful however that people have started to slow their roll and are starting to appreciate what we do under, quite frankly crappy circumstances. So, for as much as I am generally pissed off with the GP, THANK YOU for realising that.
                        sigpic

Comment

Our supply lines are getting back to some form of normality so hopefully the rest of the world will get there soon as well. We are getting bleach by the pallet load, also paper towels and toilet paper. Just hang on guys, take care of yourselves and each other. We are doing all we can to keep up, I'm buying stapes like TP and sugar for my neighbour because I work in a store and have the chance to help them out.
                          Be kind.
                          I'm not selling insane amount of stuff in the stores either. The problem is that it will take time for production and supply chain to catch up
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Loss of sense of smell can lead to loss of taste as well as they are interconnected systems. (much like I get Excema and hay fever).
                            Well, I've been sans sense of smell for 60+ years, and taste has always worked, so whatever killed my sniffer doesn't seem to affect taste in my case.
                            Which is a good thing for the beef and booze industries.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                              I'm not selling insane amount of stuff in the stores either. The problem is that it will take time for production and supply chain to catch up
                              Yep. It's 4-5 weeks of Christmas with no backup supply chain which is usually in place a month earlier beforehand. I know I am repeating myself, but folks, you NEED to get it through your head, we physically cannot keep up. We are tired, stressed, and working INSANE hours to keep up (I'm supposed to be working from 5am on Friday just to have the shop stocked for "community hour" for the older folks to have a chance to buy what they need), and I'm also asked to run the store till midnight the night before. So I get 5 hours to unwind and sleep, then have to take care of 3 kids during the time I have and make sure they are in google classrooms when they are supposed to be. I want more hours, but when people just can't cop it anymore because they are getting sick as well, the demands simply become untenable.
                              That's all I want people to understand.
                              We are doing our best.
                              sigpic

Comment

Man, that sucks. We currently have a 6 month moratorium on evictions, rental companies are not doing inspections and while banks are not -forced- to extend forgiveness to the GP right now (they are for businesses, especially small businesses), it's probably going to arrive within the next couple of days.
                                Take care of yourself and your wife Womble.
                                Thanks.

I've managed to stock up on food and household necessities just as they panic buying was starting. Wifey made fun of me for giving in to panic, now she doesn't laugh anymore. The experience of surviving the crazy Russian 90-s really comes in handy. I figured that there was no need to plan for end of civilization or situation with no water and power, only for several weeks of not leaving the house, short-term supply disruption due to panic buying by stupid people and possibly a bug-out backpack for sudden evacuation to a hospital. The trick was to also stock up on things that I expected to double in price.

I have a Brita jug and 6 months worth of filters, so no need to hoard bottled water. We bought about 15kg of rice, some pasta, instant mashed potatoes, 20 tins of corned beef and another 30 tins of tuna -enough to comfortably survive a couple of weeks at least without ever leaving home if necessary. The freezer is full of meat, we've got some 150 single-use face masks and about 200 disposable gloves, alcohol gel, and so long as we have water and power (and internet), we're good. I've got my electric scooter for quick shopping trips once a week to grab the things that can't be stockpiled for long term - fresh vegetables, milk, cheese, bread and eggs. I did not join into toilet paper hoarding craze and I still don't get it.

Comment

Working...
                                X