Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
    sounds to me as if you wouldn't mind if we revived those old leper colonies
    Take it any way you want it, but my goal would be to stop a potentially fatal disease. My concern for the social lives of youngsters who have demonstrated that they will not voluntarily isolate themselves, businesses that will not voluntarily follow guidelines and anyone else who is selfish enough to risk spreading a potentially fatal disease for which isolation is the only effective preventative step doesn't even wiggle the needle on the meter.

Put more succinctly, they had their chance to behave. Now it's time for the sledgehammer.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      Take it any way you want it, but my goal would be to stop a potentially fatal disease
      on the other hand this ain't smallpox
      this is something you've 99% chance of surviving

else even flu's "potentially fatal" why no lockdown for that one?

Put more succinctly, they had their chance to behave. Now it's time for the sledgehammer.
      or a slap on the wrist depending who's flouting the rules eh?

Comment

Take it any way you want it, but my goal would be to stop a potentially fatal disease. My concern for the social lives of youngsters who have demonstrated that they will not voluntarily isolate themselves, businesses that will not voluntarily follow guidelines and anyone else who is selfish enough to risk spreading a potentially fatal disease for which isolation is the only effective preventative step doesn't even wiggle the needle on the meter.

You have more of a grounding in reality than say........ stuff i'm not allowed to say.
        Welcome to reality.
        And by the by, I would not use a sledge, I'd want something far larger, a wrecking ball perhaps. This "disease" is killing you off faster than WW1 and WW2 COMBINED and your C-I-C is playing golf every weekend.
        What the actual hell?
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
          yet the measles & smallpox vaccines are 100% effective
          No, they're not.

Measles is 96% with a life-long protection.

Smallpox vaccination can protect for about 3 to 5 years. After that time, its ability to protect decreases.

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
          And by the by, I would not use a sledge, I'd want something far larger, a wrecking ball perhaps. This "disease" is killing you off faster than WW1 and WW2 COMBINED and your C-I-C is playing golf every weekend.
          What the actual hell?
          And a SC which apparently decided that religious gatherings don't have to hold themselves to max 10 people or less.

In other Covid-news, the curve in Belgium is going down again... slowly but surely. We'll most likely be celebrating the holidays amongst ourselves, which I have nothing against.

However, my panic attack last night -- one that lasted for far longer than I was able to find control again -- shows that this whole situation is getting to me. It's been nearly a year and a half since I last had a severe attack like I had last night.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
            You have more of a grounding in reality than say........ stuff i'm not allowed to say.
            Welcome to reality.
            What the actual hell?
            Perhaps it is because of our Constitution?

See this post

mask mandates and such are the purview of the states, not the feds.

You may have read about the SCOTUS decision FH referred to above.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/26/polit...vid/index.html

In dissent, the liberal justices wrote:

Justice Stephen Breyer, joined by Justices Elena Kagan and Sonia Sotomayor, said that the regulations were designed to "fight the rapidly spreading -- and, in many cases, fatal -- COVID-19 virus," and that they allowed the governor to identity hot spots where the virus had spiked. Breyer noted the grisly statistics concerning the virus that has infected more than 12 million Americans and is currently surging. "The Constitution principally entrusts the safety and the health of the people to the politically accountable officials of the States," Breyer wrote.
            Last edited by Annoyed; 26 November 2020, 04:33 AM. Reason: additional information

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
              In other Covid-news, the curve in Belgium is going down again... slowly but surely. We'll most likely be celebrating the holidays amongst ourselves, which I have nothing against.
              Which goes to prove that isolation works. Too bad we can't practice it all that well.

Comment

No, they're not.

Measles is 96% with a life-long protection.

Smallpox vaccination can protect for about 3 to 5 years. After that time, its ability to protect decreases.
                I stand corrected
                makes an even better case for natural immunity

till the 3rd lockdown
                rinse & repeat

Comment

till the 3rd lockdown
                  rinse & repeat
                  If they hold it long enough, they may not need a 3rd.

I'm not sure about those Belgians, they're weird but the U.S. made the same mistake. The moneymen successfully pushed to re-open far too early. So you're right, we will get to repeat.

Comment

If they hold it long enough, they may not need a 3rd.
                    until they do '_'

what do you think is the statistical likelihood of there being 0 infected people left?
                    lockdowns are about flattening the curve not obliterating it

in other news:

https://english.newstracklive.com/ne...1097901-1.html
                    https://www.newsweek.com/teen-beaten...avirus-1541268
                    https://time.com/5915850/paris-polic...investigation/
                    https://sambadenglish.com/odisha-wom...-wearing-mask/

the "maskerade" goes on
                    (sieg heil etc.)
                    Last edited by SoulReaver; 30 November 2020, 07:03 AM.

Comment

until they do '_'

what do you think is the statistical likelihood of there being 0 infected people left?
                      I think it quite likely there are people who have not been infected yet.

Comment

Dead minks infected with a mutated form of COVID-19 rise from graves after mass culling
                        https://www.yahoo.com/news/dead-mink...211603182.html

Comment

Which goes to prove that isolation works. Too bad we can't practice it all that well.
                          Indeed, it does.

till the 3rd lockdown
                          rinse & repeat
                          I estimate it will be around the middle of January. And I'm not even kidding here.

I'm not sure about those Belgians, they're weird but the U.S. made the same mistake. The moneymen successfully pushed to re-open far too early. So you're right, we will get to repeat.
                          I have little faith in my country(wo)men that we are not going to end up in a 3rd wave.

Zero to none -- for the time being anyway.

I think it quite likely there are people who have not been infected yet.
                          *raises hand*

Saw this on the AP News feed on twitter yesterday, and by far the weirdest article I read all day.

Return of the Living Dead Mink...

Comment

Our "Covid council" convened today and here's what they decided:

* non-essential shops can reopen from Tuesday the 1st of December with maximum 1 customer for every 10 square meter and a max of 30 minutes inside the store.

* contact professions like hairdressers and beautyparlors have to remain closed until at least mid-way January 2021.

* bars, cafes, restaurants and bars in hotels have to remain closed until mid-way January 2021.

* museums and swimmingpools can reopen from Tuesday the 1st of December, with strict guidelines concerning social distancing, required wearing of facemasks and a limited amount of people one space at the same time for museums, and swimming pools have to restrict contact between incoming and outgoing swimmers -- both parties will have to work with reserved ticket times.

* no firework displays on new year's anywhere in the country

* curfew from midnight to 5am remains in place until mid-way January -- thereby negating celebrating New Year's.

* for those who celebrate Christmas: it can only be celebrated with people of the same household and their "cuddlebuddy", while singles may invite both their cuddlebuddy and one other contact with whom they maintain social distance. This ruling is only applicable on the 24th or 25th of December.

* outside gatherings can only be held with 4 other people and maintaining social distance rules, which does include wearing face masks -- this excludes families which contain more than 4 members.

* Vacationing to red zones is not prohibited but strongly advised against. If you do decide on vacationing in a red zone, you will a mandatory 14-day quarantine which will be controlled by police. Testing will still be mandatory -- as it is now.

* No skiing holidays since most countries will keep their skiresorts and hills closed for tourists.

* if you stay for longer than 48h abroad, you have to fill out the Passanger Locator Form and go through the mandatory quarantine upon return, depending on where you've been, and there will be a stricter following this up -- border controls are back.

I have to admit that the new year's restrictions come in harder than I expected. I knew it was a long shot but this is bloody hard. I don't know if I can keep this up.

Comment

until they do '_'

In America, very likely as there will be nobody left alive to be infected pretty soon.
                              http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Our "Covid council" convened today and here's what they decided:

* non-essential shops can reopen from Tuesday the 1st of December with maximum 1 customer for every 10 square meter and a max of 30 minutes inside the store.
                                Seems risky to me.

* contact professions like hairdressers and beautyparlors have to remain closed until at least mid-way January 2021.

* bars, cafes, restaurants and bars in hotels have to remain closed until mid-way January 2021.

Good, but the duration isn't long enough.

* museums and swimmingpools can reopen from Tuesday the 1st of December, with strict guidelines concerning social distancing, required wearing of facemasks and a limited amount of people one space at the same time for museums, and swimming pools have to restrict contact between incoming and outgoing swimmers -- both parties will have to work with reserved ticket times.

You guys classify pools in with museums? Weirder and weirder. I'd think pools would be treated like gyms. And museums as non-essential.

* no firework displays on new year's anywhere in the country

* curfew from midnight to 5am remains in place until mid-way January -- thereby negating celebrating New Year's.

The law of entropy states that things go down hill. Are you sure you want to celebrate another year?

* for those who celebrate Christmas: it can only be celebrated with people of the same household and their "cuddlebuddy", while singles may invite both their cuddlebuddy and one other contact with whom they maintain social distance. This ruling is only applicable on the 24th or 25th of December.

The governor of NY issued edicts that Thanksgiving gatherings were limited to 10 people. A company in Buffalo, NY responded by selling window stickers of that governor peering into the window.

* outside gatherings can only be held with 4 other people and maintaining social distance rules, which does include wearing face masks -- this excludes families which contain more than 4 members.

* Vacationing to red zones is not prohibited but strongly advised against. If you do decide on vacationing in a red zone, you will a mandatory 14-day quarantine which will be controlled by police. Testing will still be mandatory -- as it is now.

* No skiing holidays since most countries will keep their skiresorts and hills closed for tourists.

* if you stay for longer than 48h abroad, you have to fill out the Passanger Locator Form and go through the mandatory quarantine upon return, depending on where you've been, and there will be a stricter following this up -- border controls are back.

I have to admit that the new year's restrictions come in harder than I expected. I knew it was a long shot but this is bloody hard. I don't know if I can keep this up.

There ain't gonna be an easy way out of this. We can bite the bullet and do what's needed, or we can keep doing what we're doing over.
                                Last edited by Annoyed; 27 November 2020, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X