The Covid19 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    At least a few more times, I'm afraid...
    And you wonder where the phrase "young skulls full of mush" comes from. Can't learn anything... grumble, grumble grumble.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      And you wonder where the phrase "young skulls full of mush" comes from. Can't learn anything... grumble, grumble grumble.
      She's quoting the first Pirates of the Caribbean Movie Annoyed.
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
        Never watched it.

Comment

No intention to do so was implied... but I do have to admit, I may have seen it more than once.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

GF is just making fun of Annoyed's ageism
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Grandpa's going to have to chase the youngin's of his lawn again...

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

AS long as we're doing movie lines...
                  Grandpa???

Comment

Comment

And our infection rates have stopped growing exponentially again...

Also, we are currently suffering a heatwave so our costal line (tiny as it is) is packed with tourists. However, you have to make reservations for a space on the beach and social distancing is very much enforced.

A group of youngsters got caught fighting with other people on Saturday, which caused the mayors of most coastal towns to close their territory to anyone coming in for a day away. Only people who had to be there for work, or because of a reservation were allowed in. Everyone else was turned back by police blockades.

Desperate measures but necessary to maintain order.

And also, I had a good giggle over an article about American tourists sneaking into Canada. The latter asking them not to sneak across the border if at all possible.

Comment

And our infection rates have stopped growing exponentially again...

Also, we are currently suffering a heatwave so our costal line (tiny as it is) is packed with tourists. However, you have to make reservations for a space on the beach and social distancing is very much enforced.

A group of youngsters got caught fighting with other people on Saturday, which caused the mayors of most coastal towns to close their territory to anyone coming in for a day away. Only people who had to be there for work, or because of a reservation were allowed in. Everyone else was turned back by police blockades.

Desperate measures but necessary to maintain order.

And also, I had a good giggle over an article about American tourists sneaking into Canada. The latter asking them not to sneak across the border if at all possible.
                        There are a few beaches on the southern shore of Lake Ontario (probably all over the place, but I'm just familiar with the local spots) where boaters anchor about 50' off the beach, water depth is only 4-5 feet at that point, and the wind / wave patterns keep the rear of the boats facing the beach, so it's very easy for the beach people to wade out and mingle with the boat people and visa versa. Boats themselves are about 15-20 feet apart so there is socialization among them as well, often coordinated via their marine radios.

Since at least the 1980's this has been a huge party every weekend in the summers, and I might add a great place for girl-watching, too.

I've been out on the lake a few times this year and I'm really surprised. Despite the complete absence of law enforcement, I've yet to see a law enforcement boat in the area this year, people have abandoned this activity altogether this year. I've seen exactly one boat anchored off the primary gathering beach in this area all year. I'm really surprised how well these folks are self-enforcing the distancing crap.

As far as the border to Canada goes, if you look at the geography of Lake Ontario & the St. Lawrence river, you will see that it is a very long stretch of unprotected border between the two countries. If you're on the St. Lawrence in the Thousand Islands region, which is a huge vacation destination, it's almost impossible to stay in one country or the other, the border goes right down the middle of the river at that point. My absolute favorite campground in the world is located so that if you have a waterfront camp site, you can throw a rock from your campsite and it lands in Canada. Although both countries conduct enforcement operations in the river, they can't possibly prevent a boat launched from a US point from going to a small Canadian town on the other side of the river, and the reverse is true also. As long as you're not doing anything stupid to call attention to yourself, it's very easy to sneak across the border this way. Hell, there are places a strong swimmer might be able to cross over without the boat. Although with the number of idiots, morons and arsehats operating boats in that region, you wouldn't catch me trying it.
                        Last edited by Annoyed; 10 August 2020, 09:18 AM.

Comment

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-...-deal/12571454

Here's hoping it works, and best thing is, free for all Australians
                          sigpic

Comment

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-...-deal/12571454

Here's hoping it works, and best thing is, free for all Australians
                            The administration here announced some sort of deal like that a few weeks back.. Only to have it blow up in everyone's face due to a developing insider trading scandal.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                              The administration here announced some sort of deal like that a few weeks back.. Only to have it blow up in everyone's face due to a developing insider trading scandal.
                              It won't blow up here, such a scam is simply unworkable under AU law due to the single payer system.
                              In fact, it could not happen in virtually every first world economy in the world.
                              sigpic

Comment

Okie dokie,everyone...the usual cull has been done after a review of the latter part of the thread.

No more politics.No political links or conspiracy clickbait.
                                No further derailing tit-for-tats or other slurs and barbs either aimed at political/scientific figures or at each other.

Talk about the virus itself,upcoming possible vaccinations,how you feel about having to live with the restrictions.
                                Talk about your work situation if you wish.
                                (Caveat: don't say anything a boss or snoop can use against you in any way.)

This pandemic has caused so much misery and mayhem in so many ways,we ALL have that in common,so ...
                                Empathise with each other.
                                Be kinder.
                                If you guys can't do that - regrettably,this thread will be closed down and/or moderations will be applied.

If you wish to vent about the post cull and rules being applied, or want us to review any earlier posts - feel free to pm me or e-mail Darren.

Above all else - stay safe and well!
                                The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Working...
                                X