No announcement yet.

The Covid19 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And, of course, the scammers have to get their hand in...

Got this in my spam folder the other day

Sender: "World Health Organization"<[email protected]
    Subject: COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund for WHO - DONATE NOW
    WHOIS on the source IP address goes to some outfit in Hanoi, Vietnam. and it goes on asking for donation to be sent to a bitcoin wallet.

Is there anyone who still falls for these scams?

Comment

^2 week lockdowns? I thought most of the EU went for a lot longer than that (over a month)

Originally posted by pscard View Post
      In the worse of times, sometimes people show their best.

Italians who are quarantined from coronavirus sing from their balconies.
      iirc there was also an italian priest who gave up his ventilator (along with his life) to save a young man who was also in critical

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post

I *think* criticism of the government actions and behavior would be fair play, as long as we aren't going on about Republicrats being blamed for this, that or the other thing.
      we can still blame the RepubliCons right?

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
        we can still blame the RepubliCons right?
        Of course not. We aren't supposed to talk politics.

Comment

It sounds to me like your particular anthill has been far more aggressive in stopping the spread of this than most others, and it shows it the stats. Pity we can't learn from you.
          Statistically, we can't prove anything yet, they change on a daily basis but yeah, we have been more aggressive than many countries in trying to curb this outbreak. We have had some pretty big screw-ups on the path however, so I'm in no way saying our model has been the best. We are doing what we can as fast as we can and that's the best you will ever get from federal government. What has proven useful is that the state premiers (your governers) are essentially in lock-step agreement with the fed and have actually been pushing for even more aggressive actions as the infection rate rises. That's actually a lesson the US could learn, screw politics and just get crap done.
          We could have stopped this in its tracks 2-3 months ago, but our leaders chose to ignore it for various reasons.
          No, you couldn't have because by the time the infection was really known about, it was already pretty much everywhere. Even if people started to self isolate back in January it would not have really mattered because people would have been calling it fake news or BS. That's the simple reality here Annoyed. It took deaths, isolations and an economic crater for people to take this seriously because we have not had a pandemic like this for near on 100 years.
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Here in NYC all it would have taken to infect the population the way that it did, would have been one person with the virus taking mass transit into Manhattan (that one person could have come into contact with hundreds of people during his/her commute, and each one of the those people could have come into contact with hundreds more people during their day). Early on it wasn't really known how they virus worked, how quickly it spread, its incubation period, when people were contagious, ect.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
              Statistically, we can't prove anything yet, they change on a daily basis but yeah, we have been more aggressive than many countries in trying to curb this outbreak. We have had some pretty big screw-ups on the path however, so I'm in no way saying our model has been the best. We are doing what we can as fast as we can and that's the best you will ever get from federal government. What has proven useful is that the state premiers (your governers) are essentially in lock-step agreement with the fed and have actually been pushing for even more aggressive actions as the infection rate rises. That's actually a lesson the US could learn, screw politics and just get crap done.
              I'll go along with that. All you need to do is look at the relief bill that is being fought over in Washington at this time to see how much politics has poisoned everything we try to do in regard to this. (as well as just about anything else). They started out with a bill to put cash in the hands of idled workers and ended up looking like a wish list.

No, you couldn't have because by the time the infection was really known about, it was already pretty much everywhere. Even if people started to self isolate back in January it would not have really mattered because people would have been calling it fake news or BS. That's the simple reality here Annoyed. It took deaths, isolations and an economic crater for people to take this seriously because we have not had a pandemic like this for near on 100 years.
              As I understand it, Australia began blocking travel from the outside world way early. That was your saving grace. We utterly failed there. We should have slammed the doors shut too.

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
                Here in NYC all it would have taken to infect the population the way that it did, would have been one person with the virus taking mass transit into Manhattan (that one person could have come into contact with hundreds of people during his/her commute, and each one of the those people could have come into contact with hundreds more people during their day). Early on it wasn't really known how they virus worked, how quickly it spread, its incubation period, when people were contagious, ect.
                That's a big downside to living in overcrowded urban areas. You can't avoid catching whatever comes around. I don't know whether you like living there or not, but I couldn't stand it.

Comment

Here in NYC all it would have taken to infect the population the way that it did, would have been one person with the virus taking mass transit into Manhattan
                  then you've to also admit all those curfew laws will have no effect in the long run yes?

Of course not. We aren't supposed to talk politics.
                  ah but as you know standard rules no longer apply during pandemics (laws on right to travel, assemble etc.)

Comment

And here is a fine example of how just about anything gets misused.

There is a huge shortage of the medical face masks that impede the spread of crap like this.
                    A group of volunteers decided to start making them at home, in order to distribute to health care workers, etc. There was apparently some sort of assistance provided by a clothing manufacturer, which had been closed down by the shutdown.
                    The manufacturer went to the state and asked for permission to restart their manufacturing in order to provide raw materials for these volunteers, as I understand it. The state liked this idea, and authorized them to re-open the factory.

Can anyone guess what happened next? (I doubt it, few of you are old enough to be this cynical yet.)

The manufacturer realized.. "Hey, we're allowed to open the factory. Why don't we get a few sales contracts and make and sell these things ourselves." And that's just what they did. The volunteers were dismissed.

Oh, and some of the health care workers turned their noses up at the homemade masks.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
                      then you've to also admit all those curfew laws will have no effect in the long run yes?

ah but as you know standard rules no longer apply during pandemics (laws on right to travel, assemble etc.)
                      All the measures that have been taken here have been aimed at reducing density, which should work at slowing the spread, since there are less people that a single infected person can spread it too in any given day. Mass transit is still open, but ridership is down like 87% from the same time last year since non-essential businesses are closed and those people aren't using it to go to work. We don't have a curfew, we don't have to stay in our house, we can go out we just have to stay 6ft from others and can't gather in groups outside of our family. We will be getting our parks closed after this weekend if it's shown that people aren't staying away from each other in parks.

Though, if by in the long run, you mean the next pandemic though, then no, the social distancing we're doing now won't help next time around.
                      sigpic

Comment

That's a big downside to living in overcrowded urban areas. You can't avoid catching whatever comes around. I don't know whether you like living there or not, but I couldn't stand it.
                        Yeah, that is a downside, I grew up here though, I still live in the same house I grew up in. Where I live is pretty quiet for the most part. I'm used to it and I love the convenience of having everything I need nearby. If I want to get milk, I can walk to get it, since there are stores a few blocks from me. I live near busses and a train station, the subway isn't too far away either. I don't need to drive anywhere if I don't want to (I have a car, but I'm not a big fan of driving long distances, it stresses me out).
                        sigpic

Comment

Though, if by in the long run, you mean the next pandemic though, then no, the social distancing we're doing now won't help next time around.
                          Bah. My idea of "proper social distancing" is several miles between houses. And that is in normal times.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                            Why don’t y’all stick to your experiences, how things are for you. How you are dealing with lockdowns or social distancing. How you manage to get grocery shopping done. Tips to cope with social isolation. Heck on another place people were even sharing recipes.
                            Someone posted a video on my FB page of the following item...
                            Someone was using a drone holding the leash to walk their dog remotely.
                            When you look at the picture, the leash looked like it was photo-shopped into the air, until you saw the drone attached at the other end...

As for social isolation / distancing...not a problem for me. I'm a born introvert. I can often entertain myself, and if not, I find things around the house to keep myself occupied enough to stay alone. There is also that techie thing, called a "phone" ... sometimes, I am conversing with a friend or family member for hours! I had to get a special headphone set many years ago, because I couldn't handle holding the phone in my hand and switching arms every 20 minutes.

Longest phone conversation I've EVER had lasted over 5 hours! But that was because a friend of mine got herself into a troubling situation and was crying her heart out... I wouldn't get off the phone until after she calmed down and stopped crying... then I asked her to please "let us NOT do this again... let us shrink our phone time down to 2 or 3 hours from here on in, please?!" She agreed. Unfortunately, with this COVID-19 virus, I haven't heard from her for more than a month now, and the last time we talked on the phone she was coughing non-stop for 20 minutes and couldn't stop. She also has COPD, so I don't know what has happened to her or even if she was able to keep her phone (she was running out of money and living in a trailer with no toilet...just a bucket to "P" in... the phone belonged to someone else, and he didn't have enough money to pay the next bills that were coming in)...

Comment

that's what I meant

that thing spreads like the flu & evidently flu's still around

as soon as the lockdowns end it will have free reign to return & spread again just like the flu
                              then what - more curfews?
                              seasonal curfews?
                              obviously that method's not viable in the long run

Comment

Got to split these postings up, due to length...

To ALL of you store clerks, regardless of your job position...

I used to work (first part-time paid job ever) in retail as cashier and help out stocking shelves and doing inventory. Only in recent years, I have done volunteer work for nearly a decade now as cashier and stocking shelves. Doing that sort of work during winter/Christmas (train) rides and a few Holiday & other specials, are a nightmare with LIMITED passenger space movement (3 lines wide and more than 50 feet deep or long) with the gift shelves on both sides... Christmas season is the worst, tho for retail work...

...I was filling in for another (train) crew member, who called in sick, so I was trying to help a customer who claimed they picked up the wrong sized shirt and to shorten the time I went off to find the correct item rather than send the customer back while in the middle of her purchasing transactions... I had to squeeze in between those sardine packed lines by shouting "Excuse me... sorry, please Excuse me..." and that was challenging because we only had ONE register (with two staff workers), and that ONE customer was holding up the rest of the line of more than 50 other customers. So, yours truly (me) had to weave as quickly as possible (and be NICE to people NOT moving at all) between the folks still looking at both sides of the aisle and standing on line to check out. Well, thanks to this COVID-19 virus, the rides have been shut down, and there might not be any more Polar Express, at least not this year. Probably no meeting the Easter bunny (in fake fur costume) ride either.

Yeah, we can complain about the ingrates of *social misfits* being selfish and greedy from fighting over the few FREEBIES they do get, and had a few other rude folks making life miserable by stealing other customers seats (who left to go get food or souvenirs) to change baby diapers, and then shoving the dirty diaper into the seat!! but we still love our (more friendly) customers... it gives some of them a moment to escape from the realities of a difficult life at home or work, and enjoy a few moments to rest up and enjoy the scenic ride along the way.

(And, it is scenic countryside... my hubby dragged me onto those rides while on the way back from long distanced shopping--with him wanting to stop by and say "Hello!" to his train buddies, and then stranding me for a few hours to chat with the ladies, who eventually took 2 years for them to talk me into joining in some of the crew-work. Ummm. downside is no running water with no sink----NEED hand sanitizers and cleaning wipes!!! I bring my own TP, just in case it runs out, too..) WYSIWYG.

ONE OTHER THING ABOUT SHOPPING!!
                                If you have enough "non perishable" supplies to last you two weeks, there is no reason to hoard anymore. If you get put in personal/family lockdown, it's generally just for 2 weeks and it will give grocery store workers enough time to actually get back to normal, the supply chain will catch up and stores will be just as full as they would be on a normal weekly basis...
                                May I say, *Amen!*...?
                                One box of pasta noodles lasts me about 3 months. I found ways to trim my diet and eat half a bowl with a full salad on the side, than a whole bowl... more because it packs on more weight around the waist... hee, hee...

Over the years, I also found that eating a cucumber for lunch with added almonds and shredded cheese works as a sufficient meal when at home, surprisingly. Depending on the size of the cucumber, I can split it in half or thirds and make that many lunch meals from it. Plus, I discovered that "cukes" are good for keeping the skin in healthy condition, and are full of several nutritional values too. Sometimes, I might add some lettuce to liven it up with some variety. Oh, and *cukes* are also good for controlling Edema in the legs and around the feet and ankles. . . makes the swelling go down or completely away when I eat them, so I have tried over the years to eat one portion of a cucumber at least 2 or 3 times every week.

Unfortunately, cucumbers don't last me more than a week, so I can only buy one or 2 at a time... my hubby won't eat them, so I only buy what I can eat, when I need it and don't overstock on produce, since it goes bad anyway. AND, I have extremely limited space in our ONLY fridge/freezer combo unit. Same with meat, milk and bread. NO room in the food Inn, so I can't buy more even if I wanted to.
                                Last edited by SGalisa; 25 March 2020, 02:58 PM. Reason: fix typos

Comment

Working...
                                X