Page 67 of 75 FirstFirst ... 175764656667686970 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 1485
  1. #1321
    Major Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,981

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Who Knows View Post
    I do not know if wearing a mask protects you or if it s just more 'fake news'. but I am prepared to wear one just to be sure.
    These Muslim women wear a mask all the time they are out, with or without Covid 19 & they do not complain. Better safe than sorry I reckon, & t does not hurt to wear one.
    (Actually it makes it easier for bank-robbers & muggers.)
    Do you wear glasses? If so, I'm sure you've noticed how fast a mask will fog your glasses up when you exhale. How can the mask possibly work when that much exhaled air is blowing right past it?
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  2. #1322
    Lieutenant Colonel SoulReaver's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Yurp
    Posts
    4,351

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    Not likely, at least in the U.S. The legal authority of the state to require them is already being challenged in the courts, with at least one federal court ruling against the state.
    what happened to your ardent support of states' rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    Do you wear glasses? If so, I'm sure you've noticed how fast a mask will fog your glasses up when you exhale. How can the mask possibly work when that much exhaled air is blowing right past it?
    at best it blocks the larger droplets you exhale or cough (those that fall after a short distance hence the importance of social distancing) not the smaller ones (aerosols)

    face shields are actually much better at that minus all the potential side effects. far less profitable to the mask industry of course

    Quote Originally Posted by Who Knows View Post
    I do not know if wearing a mask protects you or if it s just more 'fake news'. but I am prepared to wear one just to be sure.
    not breathing protects you even more so I've stopped breathing just to be surer


    Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    Soul is right.

  3. #1323
    Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Smashing skulls!!
    Posts
    5,591

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    If you want a solution to your glasses fogging up, take a tip from divers and spit in them.
    Wipe away the excess, all you need is a light film and your glasses will not fog up.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

  4. #1324
    Major Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,981

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    If you want a solution to your glasses fogging up, take a tip from divers and spit in them.
    Wipe away the excess, all you need is a light film and your glasses will not fog up.
    That's gross. And, how many droplets would you spread in a public place if you did spit on your glasses?
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  5. #1325
    Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    35,345

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Who Knows View Post
    I do not know if wearing a mask protects you or if it s just more 'fake news'. but I am prepared to wear one just to be sure.
    Here you go... mask wearing isn't "fake news"...

    Visualizing droplet dispersal for face shields and masks with exhalation valves

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    Do you wear glasses? If so, I'm sure you've noticed how fast a mask will fog your glasses up when you exhale. How can the mask possibly work when that much exhaled air is blowing right past it?
    Which is upwards, not forwards...
    So, you're basically blowing the droplets back at yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by SoulReaver View Post
    not breathing protects you even more so I've stopped breathing just to be surer
    If only it wasn't so final...

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    If you want a solution to your glasses fogging up, take a tip from divers and spit in them.
    Wipe away the excess, all you need is a light film and your glasses will not fog up.
    Proven theory -- disgusting sure, but works.

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    That's gross. And, how many droplets would you spread in a public place if you did spit on your glasses?
    EW DUDE!! Don't spit in front of people... that's just gross.

    ***************************************

    I did leave the country for my vacation. Visited the north of Germany which at the time was all green zone, and returned via The Netherlands which was partially green but surely turning orange when we left -- I swear, we had nothing to do with that. I mean, we were literally the only people in The Netherlands wearing a facemask and we were just continually stared at. They had no regulations in place. They do have the whole social distancing thing going and desinfecting of surfaces and hands but beyond that... nada... so no wonder they continue to have a high infection rate. They do have stricter measures coming now.

    Belgium has had 1500 confirmed infections on a daily basis too since schools opened and people returned from vacations from red and orange colored zones. There are currently about 700 people in hospitals, of which 150 (give or take) are in the ICU. Deaths are way down though, on average we loose about 4 people a day now (which is still too much obviously).

    My aunt's school had to quarantine 2 weeks ago when 6 teachers and 2 children in kindergarten tested positive. And many other schools have had the same happening already.

    And I see that tomorrow we'll be able to download the tracing app...
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 9 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

  6. #1326
    Captain
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,338

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    It's nice living in Europe and being able to just take a train or drive to the next country.

    We're stuck at home with what started as a 2 weeks quarantine and is now looking as a month plus at most optimistic.

    Aand I am finally on unpaid leave like the vast majority of my colleagues, because my company is in bad enough shape that they would rather face lawsuits from the customers than pay my salary at this point.
    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

  7. #1327
    Major Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,981

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Which is upwards, not forwards...
    So, you're basically blowing the droplets back at yourself.
    And since the exhaled air doesn't go into your eyeballs, it is deflected back out into the surrounding air.

    Oh, and isn't directing that exhaled stream of droplets at your eyeballs increasing the risk to yourself? The eyes and other sensitive areas are infection points, might result in a heavier viral load as well.

    Yet another reason for not wearing masks, at least for those who need glasses.

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    EW DUDE!! Don't spit in front of people... that's just gross.
    Hey, it wasn't my suggestion. Go yell at GF.


    ***************************************

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    I did leave the country for my vacation. Visited the north of Germany which at the time was all green zone, and returned via The Netherlands which was partially green but surely turning orange when we left -- I swear, we had nothing to do with that.
    How the hell did you get out? The rest of the world decided you were not going to be let out again, ever. Now you have to be punished.

    You are sentenced to start and operate the Belgian "Trump fan club"

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    I mean, we were literally the only people in The Netherlands wearing a facemask and we were just continually stared at. They had no regulations in place. They do have the whole social distancing thing going and desinfecting of surfaces and hands but beyond that... nada... so no wonder they continue to have a high infection rate. They do have stricter measures coming now.

    Belgium has had 1500 confirmed infections on a daily basis too since schools opened and people returned from vacations from red and orange colored zones. There are currently about 700 people in hospitals, of which 150 (give or take) are in the ICU. Deaths are way down though, on average we loose about 4 people a day now (which is still too much obviously).

    My aunt's school had to quarantine 2 weeks ago when 6 teachers and 2 children in kindergarten tested positive. And many other schools have had the same happening already.
    This whole "re-opening" thing has been a clusterfrak in the US too. Particularly when it comes to schools. As if nobody could have predicted that young skulls full of mush would rather socialize than confine themselves to their dorms and behave themselves.

    At least that is traceable. We know what the problem is and how to fix it. (but we won't) Although not readily traceable, the next sore point will be sit-down restaurants and such.

    In the rush to re-open pushed by businesses, restaurants and the like were allowed to run at 25% or so capacity. That kind of business simply can't operate profitably at that kind of usage rate, the numbers just don't add up. So many of them took to outdoor seating to increase capacity to levels they could run at. With the oncoming cold weather of winter approaching, that isn't going to be workable. So we can expect a whole lot of whining by that industry, and they will be allowed to re-open normally or near-normal. And that is going to drive another resurgence of CV.

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    And I see that tomorrow we'll be able to download the tracing app...
    Yeah, Riiight. I'm going to give the government that kind of access to the data stored on my phone.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  8. #1328
    Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Smashing skulls!!
    Posts
    5,591

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    The fine layer of spit lasts for quite some time, and because you only have to deal with two small lenses, a small bit on you finger (rather than hacking up a giant spitball).
    Really all you have to do is lick your finger, wipe it on the inside then sanitize your hands again.
    Gross or not, it is what works.
    Oh, and don't blame me, I was just passing along something that works.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

  9. #1329
    Lieutenant Colonel SoulReaver's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Yurp
    Posts
    4,351

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    and the fact that regular masks are much more profitable (cause unlike shields they have to be bought & changed regularly) is an added bonus, so regardless if they're effective or not, at least do it out of duty, do it for Capitalism!


    Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    Soul is right.

  10. #1330
    Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    35,345

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    It's nice living in Europe and being able to just take a train or drive to the next country.
    Notwithstanding that all around Belgium, the color is orange or red which means they are pretty much off-limits. We chose Germany because a) it had lifted restrictions for people living in the Province of Antwerp (my dad), and b) it was green across the board.

    Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    We're stuck at home with what started as a 2 weeks quarantine and is now looking as a month plus at most optimistic
    We've done our time -- as it were -- though are still continuing the work from home with a minimum of 2 days at the office, keeping the 50% occupation in mind so teams are split between working from home and working from the office.

    Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    Aand I am finally on unpaid leave like the vast majority of my colleagues, because my company is in bad enough shape that they would rather face lawsuits from the customers than pay my salary at this point.
    My sister too is back to 4 days a week instead of 5 -- the airport business is suffering.
    And for the briefest of times, it looked to become even more dire with impending slashing of contracts but this has been averted for now.

    On the upside, she'll have more time to deal with our impending move.

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    And since the exhaled air doesn't go into your eyeballs, it is deflected back out into the surrounding air.
    Therefore, social distance -- the reccommendation is 2 adult sheep, or 2 raccoons, or 1 raptor...

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    Oh, and isn't directing that exhaled stream of droplets at your eyeballs increasing the risk to yourself? The eyes and other sensitive areas are infection points, might result in a heavier viral load as well.
    When you're already infected and therefore only sending the droplets back towards yourself.... you can't reinfect yourself that fast.

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    How the hell did you get out? The rest of the world decided you were not going to be let out again, ever. Now you have to be punished.
    1 camper van
    1 highway
    1 open border

    Bye Belgium and hello Germany!

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    You are sentenced to start and operate the Belgian "Trump fan club"
    This may or may not surprise anyone, but it already exists -- not as actual fan club but more like a group of people liking him. I know at least one person who is a big Trump fan.

    I am not joking here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    ...rather than hacking up a giant spitball...
    Too late...
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 9 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

  11. #1331
    Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Smashing skulls!!
    Posts
    5,591

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    Mrs GF makes her own.
    BTW, for people who use re-usable masks, get yourself a "bra bag", it's a good way to keep them togeather while you are washing them.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

  12. #1332
    Major Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,981

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post

    Therefore, social distance -- the reccommendation is 2 adult sheep, or 2 raccoons, or 1 raptor...
    I think you're confused about the size of things. A Colonial Raptor is way bigger than 2 sheep or 2 raccoons.


    Me, I'd be comfortable keeping an entire Battlestar's length away from other people. But they didn't ask me. (And that's in normal times)





    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    This may or may not surprise anyone, but it already exists -- not as actual fan club but more like a group of people liking him. I know at least one person who is a big Trump fan.

    I am not joking here.
    Well, I guess you'll have to wear nothing but Red M.A.G.A. hats and t-shirts......
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  13. #1333
    Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    35,345

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    Mrs GF makes her own.
    BTW, for people who use re-usable masks, get yourself a "bra bag", it's a good way to keep them togeather while you are washing them.
    My sister and Mrs. GF would get along great.

    I have 16 masks, but running low at the moment because we used a lot of them in the past weeks.
    I have about 9 homemade masks, 1 from our city, 6 from my employer, and then we also got some disposable masks cause cloth masks are freaking hot and uncomfortable when it's 36° Celsius outside.

    I have plane brown ones, but my favorite ones are the ones that have animals on the front. And the ones my employer got us, have the words "Keep smiling" on the front.

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    I think you're confused about the size of things. A Colonial Raptor is way bigger than 2 sheep or 2 raccoons.

    https://en.battlestarwikiclone.org/w...x-Raptor-1.jpg
    Definitely taking that raptor over the one I had in mind.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 9 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

  14. #1334
    Major General VampyreWraith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    12,888

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    I wear a reusable mask. The company I work for gave us some and I bought some more from the store I work at because they have some pretty nice looking ones, but I prefer these ones (and they're the ones I wear most of the time when I'm at work or whenever I need to be out for an extended period of time):

    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088C2WD5F..._zg7CFbSPBBD3T

    They're really lightweight and breathable compared to the others that I've tried, I pretty much forget I'm wearing one most of the time.

  15. #1335
    Colonel mad_gater's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    7,088

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    Apparently Whole Foods corporate decided to be a bunch of debbie downers this year and not even let us dress up for the holidays, not even for Halloween....strange I thought all the masks with those costumes would've been a GOOD thing

    Was planning on dressing up either as an Ori prior (though can't seem to find any gray monk robes at Party City, only brown or black ones) or perhaps (since I have the right body type for it) as Thanos (or as fat Thor )

  16. #1336
    Major Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,981

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mad_gater View Post
    Apparently Whole Foods corporate decided to be a bunch of debbie downers this year and not even let us dress up for the holidays, not even for Halloween....strange I thought all the masks with those costumes would've been a GOOD thing

    Was planning on dressing up either as an Ori prior (though can't seem to find any gray monk robes at Party City, only brown or black ones) or perhaps (since I have the right body type for it) as Thanos (or as fat Thor )
    I'd bet it's more to prevent people dressing up as various news & political figures.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  17. #1337
    Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    35,345

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    Installed our tracing app last night... Had to read through ten pages of GDPR related privacy statements.

    I'm confident in its security restrictions and GDPR-compliance. I can turn it off or on at will so that it isn't continuously running when it doesn't have to be.

    And Belgium finally has a federal government, after a whoppin' 460+ days after the elections...must be a new record.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 9 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

  18. #1338
    Major Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,981

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Installed our tracing app last night... Had to read through ten pages of GDPR related privacy statements.

    I'm confident in its security restrictions and GDPR-compliance. I can turn it off or on at will so that it isn't continuously running when it doesn't have to be.
    Are you sure? Remember, the more complex the legalese, 10 pages in your case, the more likely there is nastyness hidden within.
    If you just want to say "I promise not to spy or collect or share information", it takes 10 words. The extra words are ways to get around that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    And Belgium finally has a federal government, after a whoppin' 460+ days after the elections...must be a new record.
    Wait for our upcoming election. We might not know the result for years.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  19. #1339
    Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    35,345

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    Are you sure? Remember, the more complex the legalese, 10 pages in your case, the more likely there is nastyness hidden within.
    If you just want to say "I promise not to spy or collect or share information", it takes 10 words. The extra words are ways to get around that.
    I'm one of those who reads the TOS, Privacy pages and everything companies always hope nobody reads and just presses Next to get it over with.

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    Wait for our upcoming election. We might not know the result for years.
    Oh, we knew the results, but those who "won" didn't want to play nice to form a majority so the other parties just flipped them the finger and formed a majority government. They call it the Vivaldi-coalition because it contains 4 different parties (like the Four Seasons by Vivaldi -- which our former PM Sophie Wilmes gave as a gift to the new PM as a joke), so it means that our temporary Prime Minister, who did her the best job she could do during our lockdown, is no longer PM but will now represent us on the international stage as Secretary of State.

    As a result, it looks like healthcare workers are getting the payraise they've asked for, and which they more than ever deserve. There will be more budget for the sector.

    We also have someone who will be responsible for the transition back to some what normal economy-wise, and someone who's responsible for everything to do with the pandemic so that information is centralized even further.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 9 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

  20. #1340
    Major Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,981

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    I'm one of those who reads the TOS, Privacy pages and everything companies always hope nobody reads and just presses Next to get it over with.
    Have you had your Attorney read it and explain it to you?

    That's what lawyers do; they're paid to come up with ways to say black is white and white is black, and make it stick in the courts.

    That's why they need so many extra words.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

Page 67 of 75 FirstFirst ... 175764656667686970 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 52
    Last Post: January 20th, 2011, 05:04 AM
  2. The ANTI "ANTI-Character Thread" Thread.
    By fuchsia in forum SGA Characters and Relationships
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: September 5th, 2008, 10:53 AM
  3. Multi thread: The Tigh, Helo and Apollo ROCK thread.....
    By P-90_177 in forum Battlestar Galactica
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 20th, 2007, 07:43 AM
  4. Elizabeth Weir Appreciation Thread (Pro Thread)
    By Ebony Wolf in forum SGA Characters and Relationships
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 24th, 2006, 10:24 PM
  5. Daniel/Oma ship thread or Oma/Anubis ship thread
    By NG.1 in forum SG-1 Characters & Relationships
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: August 21st, 2005, 09:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •