The Covid19 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Covid19 thread

Ok, I think we need a dedicated thread for this.

Please do not assign blame to political parties, or look at from political viewpoints of the parties in the U.S. or elsewhere for that matter. The management of this place doesn't want such discussions. That type of discussion should be by PM.

I *think* criticism of the government actions and behavior would be fair play, as long as we aren't going on about Republicrats being blamed for this, that or the other thing.

If management disagrees, feel free to nuke this thread.

On the other hand, perhaps management can move the discussions from the bonehead and pet peeve threads among others here?
    Last edited by Annoyed; 24 March 2020, 01:47 PM.

In the worse of times, sometimes people show their best.

Italians who are quarantined from coronavirus sing from their balconies.

Total syffy posts: 36,690
    (Chosen One)

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
    Matthew 5:9

Comment

But people usually show their worst

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-club-n1158066
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        But people usually show their worst

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-club-n1158066
        Heck, we get people shooting each other in Walmart during the annual Christmas shopping rush.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
          Heck, we get people shooting each other in Walmart during the annual Christmas shopping rush.
          A culture to be admired...……..
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Why don’t y’all stick to your experiences, how things are for you. How you are dealing with lockdowns or social distancing. How you manage to get grocery shopping done. Tips to cope with social isolation. Heck on another place people were even sharing recipes.

Less about whose fault it is and more about solidarity and getting through it.
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              Why don’t y’all stick to your experiences, how things are for you. How you are dealing with lockdowns or social distancing. How you manage to get grocery shopping done. Tips to cope with social isolation. Heck on another place people were even sharing recipes.

Good idea Sky.

Over here in Norway cases are still going up pretty quickly but the number of Deaths has only just entered double digits in the last couple of days so there's a plus. The number of cases also seems to be entering a bit of a flat curve so while it's still increasing it's very roughly the same number of infections every day rather than increasing exponentially.

Twelve days ago now the country went into lockdown though restaurants that are able to accommodate people with a metre or more between them were still being allowed to open. Bars and clubs were completely shut down, and anyone who can work from is ordered to do so. Sadly I work in food preparation so while my work is still open it's operating on a reduced staff to cut costs. The upside is that they will at least be ticking over as a business so hopefully when all this is over they'll still be there for me to go back to.

There was some panic buying over the initial couple of days but to everyone's credit stores have otherwise gone back to normal. There's no shortages and the shelves are always fully stacked. The only real issue is that with Norwegians being very big fans of the outdoors there has been some resistance to keeping them inside. In the early days there were many who were leaving the cities to go to their holiday cabins (cos everyone and their mother has a holiday cabin here). People were trying to make the best of a bad situation and go to a place where they could relax AND be out of the way of other people. The problem is that most people's cabins are in rural areas where the virus had yet to spread so they were taking it with them and these areas aren't medically equipped to handle cases. In the end everyone was ordered to come back to their main home of residence. After that there's been the usual problems with people still wanting to go out for walks or runs and though I don't think it's out of any particularly selfishness, people just aren't accounting that everyone keeps having the same idea.

For my parter and I this is actually much easier than for many. We're worried about money mainly but otherwise we are introverts so sitting around all day gaming and watching Netflix is easy for us. I gotta admit even I'm getting kinda bored and stir crazy though. I keep sitting down to work on my writing but there's just very little inspiration coming my way. One plus side is that I've been able to experiment with my cooking a little bit more. I love to cook in the evening. I'm working on perfecting a fusion style of Scandinavian and Italian food. I created a Reindeer, cranberry and winter vegetable risotto the other night which was frankly awesome if I do say so myself.
              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

I work in a grocery store so will probably not have to worry about my job...and will probably wind up developing an immunity to the virus as my immune system seems to be pretty strong

Comment

Not sure if the following falls under future news or what. But the whole COVID-19 panic and paranoia news that stirred up putting any replacement money or *bail-out* type of rebuilding our businesses back up... well, here is some new news coming forth from this whole bug/panic-buying event, etc.

Remember when I cautioned about "Never say Never"...? Sorry for the length... it came to my attention within the past few days via news articles... and people working with the monetary system aren't discussing it publicly yet.

Well, it seems the USA is on target very soon to set into place a digital monetary buying and selling system. It would replace ALL paper money and perhaps coin too, and resolve the paranoia over getting hideous germs or a lethal virus, such as the COVID-19 trumpet/crown shaped virus, from physical human to human contact. Well, that is one of the excuses being used to create this type of "currency" system.

Both Forbes and The Wall Street Journal have come out with articles mentioning this... Links go to subscriptions and endless (bandwidth?) scrolling pages, so I am just noting the article titles here with a few pertinent quotes (anyone interested can copy/paste and use your browser's search function).

Most of this information was snuck into some USA stimulus package, that recently got shot down, so the focus here is more on floating the idea around than what TPTB are planning for our future. Eventually, this will most likely become a cashless reality and be used as a world-wide means to keep the world's economy going. Currently, this only applies to the USA. Sweden is already cashless, so this is just one new step being thrust into the spotligh with USA leaders controlling the monetary system and then making it an actual, do-able, reality.

Forbes----
                  Mar 24, 2020, 06:41am EDT
                  "Shock U.S. Digital Dollar Proposals Set Bitcoin And Crypto Prices Alight"
                  Billy Bambrough, Contributor
                  Crypto & Blockchain...

"...If the U.S. were to create a digital dollar it could be seen as a tacit endorsement of bitcoin and cryptocurrencies, especially if it were to use bitcoin's underlying blockchain technology.
                  . . .
                  The proposals said the digital dollar would work as "a balance expressed as a dollar value consisting of digital ledger entries that are recorded as liabilities in the accounts of any Federal {R}eserve bank; or an electronic unit of value, redeemable by an eligible financial institution (as determined by the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System).
                  . . .
                  Elsewhere, Christopher Giancarlo, former chairman of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, recently set up the Digital Dollar Foundation to work on the design and potential framework of a digital dollar."
                  "coindesk"(dot-com) also mentioned this Digital Dollar start-up, where the idea was intended to *ease up any recession caused by the Coronavirus*
                  see article title---
                  House Stimulus Bills Envision 'Digital Dollar' to Ease Coronavirus Recession (Updated)
                  by Nikhilesh De
                  Mar 23, 2020 at 21:05 UTC
                  Updated Mar 24, 2020 at 14:46 UTC

...footnote... CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups.
                  Finally, The Wall Street Journal.
                  see article title---
                  "Fed Digital Dollars Are Part of Debate Over Coronavirus Stimulus"
                  By Michael S. Derby
                  March 24, 2020 5:31 pm ET

Legislation includes tool some believe could reshape how monetary policy is conducted
                  This Digital Dollar or currency is also known as a "digital wallet" which will be specifically *assigned* to every family who receives it in their bank accounts.
                  Sidenote----*snicker* ... Don't say "mark of the beast" system, even tho that is probably where this whole thing is leading straight into, but...

The amazing part of this whole creation of such a digital wallet/dollar system is the speed at which it will be ultimately put into operation. Once the general public get convinced or sold on the ideas of the wonderful "health safety" features, so they don't get sick from touching things that might be contaminated, many people will probably swoon and jump at the opportunity to
                  "MAKE IT SO"... as Captain Picard (aka Star Trek:TNG) would say.

... that's just my extra 2 cents ...

It was also revealed in other news that the multi-trillion dollar "printing" (relief package) that TPTB in the USA are doing to boost the paper dollar...well, all that extra money is being "printed" into an digital/electronic version (PDF?) or just electronic numbers on a ledger page, instead. Most people already have direct deposits from their employer's company being sent directly into their bank or checking accounts. This digital wallet would become just another step or phase of this process. (...I can deal with moving into a digital credit/debit card system, but someone besides Bill Gates will probably recommend incorporating this into the "microchip" placed into your own body--hand or forehead... to prevent forgetting one's physical wallet and payment methods attached with it.
                  Ooooooo... yah think...?

So, somehow, these virus/health events are being used as catalysts which are going to trigger how our world will operate its future economy. (Ignoring the politics--here, for now, in getting there to that ultimate *cashless* or digital monetary goal.
                  I do think this (USA) monetary situation warrants being watched, tho. *So does the USA, so goes the rest of the world* soon after... that's just a popular observation / saying there.

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
                    Not sure if the following falls under future news or what. But the whole COVID-19 panic and paranoia news that stirred up putting any replacement money or *bail-out* type of rebuilding our businesses back up... well, here is some new news coming forth from this whole bug/panic-buying event, etc.

Remember when I cautioned about "Never say Never"...? Sorry for the length... it came to my attention within the past few days via news articles... and people working with the monetary system aren't discussing it publicly yet.

Well, it seems the USA is on target very soon to set into place the digital monetary buying and selling system. It would replace ALL paper money and perhaps coin too, and resolve the paranoia over getting hideous germs or a lethal virus, such as the COVID-19 trumpet/crown shaped virus, from physical human to human contact.

Both Forbes and The Wall Street Journal have come out with articles mentioning this... Links go to subscriptions and endless (bandwidth?) scrolling pages, so I am just noting the article titles here with a few pertinent quotes (anyone interested can copy/paste and use your browser's search function).

Most of this information was snuck into some USA stimulus package, that recently got shot down, so the focus here is more on floating the idea around than what TPTB are planning for our future. Eventually, this will most likely become a cashless reality and be used as a world-wide means to keep the world's economy going. Currently, this only applies to the USA. Sweden is already cashless, so this is just one new step being thrust into the spotligh with USA leaders controlling the monetary system and then making it an actual, do-able, reality.

"coindesk"(dot-com) also mentioned this Digital Dollar start-up, where the idea was intended to *ease up any recession caused by the Coronavirus*

Finally, The Wall Street Journal.

This Digital Dollar or currency is also known as a "digital wallet" which will be specifically *assigned* to every family who receives it in their bank accounts.
                    Sidenote----*snicker* ... Don't say "mark of the beast" system, even tho that is probably where this whole thing is leading straight into, but...

The amazing part of this whole creation of such a digital wallet/dollar system is the speed at which it will be ultimately put into operation. Once the general public get convinced or sold on the ideas of the wonderful "health safety" features, so they don't get sick from touching things that might be contaminated, many people will probably swoon and jump at the opportunity to
                    "MAKE IT SO"... as Captain Picard (aka Star Trek:TNG) would say.

... that's just my extra 2 cents ...

It was also revealed in other news that the multi-trillion dollar "printing" (relief package) that TPTB in the USA are doing to boost the paper dollar...well, all that extra money is being "printed" into an digital/electronic version (PDF?) or just electronic numbers on a ledger page, instead. Most people already have direct deposits from their employer's company being sent directly into their bank or checking accounts. This digital wallet would become just another step or phase of this process. (...I can deal with moving into a digital credit/debit card system, but someone besides Bill Gates will probably recommend incorporating this into the "microchip" placed into your own body--hand or forehead... to prevent forgetting one's physical wallet and payment methods attached with it.
                    Ooooooo... yah think...?

So, somehow, these virus/health events are being used as catalysts which are going to trigger how our world will operate its future economy. (Ignoring the politics--here, for now, in getting there to that ultimate *cashless* or digital monetary goal.
                    I do think this (USA) monetary situation warrants being watched, tho. *So does the USA, so goes the rest of the world* soon after... that's just a popular observation / saying there.
                    Again, I disagree. There are simply too many people that would refuse to accept this.
                    Various groups have been pushing this for a few decades. It's not going to fly.

And I wouldn't accept bitcoin or any other faux currency. What is that anyway? Some guy created his own money? Sorry, I'll pass. It's completely without value.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                      Good idea Sky.

Over here in Norway cases are still going up pretty quickly but the number of Deaths has only just entered double digits in the last couple of days so there's a plus. The number of cases also seems to be entering a bit of a flat curve so while it's still increasing it's very roughly the same number of infections every day rather than increasing exponentially.
                      We are (as of today) at 8 but the rate of infection is going up. Now we have locked down except for essential services (yay, being a grocery store worker is considered essential finally ) I expect the curve to flatten out as well here. It will take a few days or weeks to see the effects come into play, but it should.

Twelve days ago now the country went into lockdown though restaurants that are able to accommodate people with a metre or more between them were still being allowed to open. Bars and clubs were completely shut down, and anyone who can work from is ordered to do so. Sadly I work in food preparation so while my work is still open it's operating on a reduced staff to cut costs. The upside is that they will at least be ticking over as a business so hopefully when all this is over they'll still be there for me to go back to.
                      Our pubs and clubs are all shutdown as of this Monday (Yes, even in Australia where we go nuts for a beer ) Today Hairdressers and nail salons will have to close as well. Pretty much anything that the GP does not actually NEED are shuttered. Fast food places can still be open but can only serve take out, same with cafe's. Hell, even ANZAC day has been cancelled, for the first time since 1900 (federation) and the ceremonies at Gallipoli in Turkey have been canned.

There was some panic buying over the initial couple of days but to everyone's credit stores have otherwise gone back to normal. There's no shortages and the shelves are always fully stacked.
                      We are getting back to that point. I swear I spend half my time at work talking to customers but tonight we got so much stock it's not funny. We have had the equivalent of 4 Christmas weeks in a row without the support structure that we have in normal circumstances.
                      NOTE TO ALL:
                      Be nice to your grocery store staff, we have utterly ZERO control over what comes in and we are busting our collective arse's to help everyone out and we are getting sick and tired of being abused by customers. We will do all we can, but there is only so much we can do, respect that fact.

The only real issue is that with Norwegians being very big fans of the outdoors there has been some resistance to keeping them inside. In the early days there were many who were leaving the cities to go to their holiday cabins (cos everyone and their mother has a holiday cabin here). People were trying to make the best of a bad situation and go to a place where they could relax AND be out of the way of other people. The problem is that most people's cabins are in rural areas where the virus had yet to spread so they were taking it with them and these areas aren't medically equipped to handle cases. In the end everyone was ordered to come back to their main home of residence. After that there's been the usual problems with people still wanting to go out for walks or runs and though I don't think it's out of any particularly selfishness, people just aren't accounting that everyone keeps having the same idea.
                      Yeah, we have had to shut major beaches down (actually pretty much all of them), try telling Aussies not to go to the beach, it's like you guys being told not to ski
                      For my parter and I this is actually much easier than for many. We're worried about money mainly but otherwise we are introverts so sitting around all day gaming and watching Netflix is easy for us. I gotta admit even I'm getting kinda bored and stir crazy though. I keep sitting down to work on my writing but there's just very little inspiration coming my way.
                      I've got around 2000 DVD's and 3 gigs of TV shows on external hard drives to keep us entertained. A PS3 and a PS4, 2 laptops, my main computer tower and a book library which stands at around 1000 books. All the kids are home now (3) and Mrs GF is only actually going to work every second day and spending the other days on google classrooms (she's a teacher) I find mixing it up between all those sources a way to avoid the craziness of being stuck at home except for work. Some people like structure, me personally, I like a little crazy to a degree (24 years in retail in various roles does that to you )
                      One plus side is that I've been able to experiment with my cooking a little bit more. I love to cook in the evening. I'm working on perfecting a fusion style of Scandinavian and Italian food. I created a Reindeer, cranberry and winter vegetable risotto the other night which was frankly awesome if I do say so myself.
                      I love to cook as well when I am home of a night (making 4 different meals sorta sucks though) There is a FANTASTIC YouTube channel called "spice n' pans" for Asian cooking and I use that a lot for inspiration for creating fusion meals, so if you have never had it pop up, check it out, it will be worth your time.
                      sigpic

Comment

The stores I sell too are slowly getting back to normal. It's improving a little. I did however miss a physical fight over toilet paper
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

ONE OTHER THING ABOUT SHOPPING!!
                          If you have enough "non perishable" supplies to last you two weeks, there is no reason to hoard anymore. If you get put in personal/family lockdown, it's generally just for 2 weeks and it will give grocery store workers enough time to actually get back to normal, the supply chain will catch up and stores will be just as full as they would be on a normal weekly basis. The supply chains and stores are NOT set-up to sustain Christmas levels of sales for weeks or months at a time because this kind of event has not happened in near to 100 years in any country. It's not an issue of supply, that we have, It's an issue of demand going bonkers and the stores and suppliers trying to play catch up. Months ago (at least out here) we were gearing up for Easter when people buy tons of chocolate, not toilet paper or pasta and pasta sauce and that was the focus of supply.
                          It will get back to normal, but folks, you need to give us a chance to catch up and again, stop abusing the staff because at some point, we are going to be just as abusive back and ban you from the store, something we have EVERY right to do.
                          As the doctor would say, Just be kind.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            The stores I sell too are slowly getting back to normal. It's improving a little. I did however miss a physical fight over toilet paper
                            It's just going to take time Jel, people are slowly realising that hoarding is just stupid and really, a waste of money. We have had plenty of documented fights over TP and really, it's just sad. Tonight we got 8 pallets of 20 pack 3 ply TP, 4 of them went out (so people can get some tomorrow we held the rest back) and it's all gone by 7pm. Pasta, we got a pallet, all gone already.
                            People just need to understand that you only need those 2 weeks of supply, 3 if you are really uncertain and that's it. We will do our part, the GP need to understand theirs and stop acting like selfish pricks.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                              We are (as of today) at 8 but the rate of infection is going up. Now we have locked down except for essential services (yay, being a grocery store worker is considered essential finally ) I expect the curve to flatten out as well here. It will take a few days or weeks to see the effects come into play, but it should.

Our pubs and clubs are all shutdown as of this Monday (Yes, even in Australia where we go nuts for a beer ) Today Hairdressers and nail salons will have to close as well. Pretty much anything that the GP does not actually NEED are shuttered. Fast food places can still be open but can only serve take out, same with cafe's. Hell, even ANZAC day has been cancelled, for the first time since 1900 (federation) and the ceremonies at Gallipoli in Turkey have been canned.

We are getting back to that point. I swear I spend half my time at work talking to customers but tonight we got so much stock it's not funny. We have had the equivalent of 4 Christmas weeks in a row without the support structure that we have in normal circumstances.
                              NOTE TO ALL:
                              Be nice to your grocery store staff, we have utterly ZERO control over what comes in and we are busting our collective arse's to help everyone out and we are getting sick and tired of being abused by customers. We will do all we can, but there is only so much we can do, respect that fact.

Yeah, we have had to shut major beaches down (actually pretty much all of them), try telling Aussies not to go to the beach, it's like you guys being told not to ski

I've got around 2000 DVD's and 3 gigs of TV shows on external hard drives to keep us entertained. A PS3 and a PS4, 2 laptops, my main computer tower and a book library which stands at around 1000 books. All the kids are home now (3) and Mrs GF is only actually going to work every second day and spending the other days on google classrooms (she's a teacher) I find mixing it up between all those sources a way to avoid the craziness of being stuck at home except for work. Some people like structure, me personally, I like a little crazy to a degree (24 years in retail in various roles does that to you )

I love to cook as well when I am home of a night (making 4 different meals sorta sucks though) There is a FANTASTIC YouTube channel called "spice n' pans" for Asian cooking and I use that a lot for inspiration for creating fusion meals, so if you have never had it pop up, check it out, it will be worth your time.
                              It sounds to me like your particular anthill has been far more aggressive in stopping the spread of this than most others, and it shows it the stats. Pity we can't learn from you.

We could have stopped this in its tracks 2-3 months ago, but our leaders chose to ignore it for various reasons.

Comment

Working...
                              X