Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 982
  1. #61
    Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Smashing skulls!!
    Posts
    5,502

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    It's been awhile since I heard one Annoyed:s conspiracy theories. You owe me bacon
    I presume you mean me?
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

  2. #62
    The Monitor jelgate's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Preparing for Crisis
    Posts
    36,988

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    You can both owe me bacon
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

  3. #63
    Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Smashing skulls!!
    Posts
    5,502

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    You can both owe me bacon
    Have to find some first
    we did have a bit a few days ago, but it vanished pretty quickly, which is odd as fresh pork we still maintain supply of even on days we don't get deliveries. I'd love to get a pork roast but only me and my eldest daughter love the piggy and in the sizes we have available it's just not practical.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

  4. #64
    Lieutenant Colonel SoulReaver's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Yurp
    Posts
    4,351

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by VampyreWraith View Post
    It's probably even lower than that, the death rates in a lot of places are so high because there's been less testing skewing the results . We have done a lot of testing in NY, Cuomo has tried to make it a priority. I don't dont know the current number of tests conducted, but at one point there were 16,000 people tested in a day. There's testing done at public hospitals, but there are a lot of people and not enough resources to test everyone, and it's also been recommended that you only get tested if your showing symptoms, so you dont acutully end up getting infected while you're going out and waiting on line at a testing site.
    then while they're at it why not order lockdowns for the flu too?


    Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    Soul is right.

  5. #65
    Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Smashing skulls!!
    Posts
    5,502

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SoulReaver View Post
    then while they're at it why not order lockdowns for the flu too?
    Because we have rotating and year long studies of the strains of flu?
    We actually have vaccines or treatments for the worst cases of flu and if you live in an intelligent country they are provided for free for those most at risk?
    They are not comparable so why bother doing it?
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

  6. #66
    Lieutenant Colonel SoulReaver's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Yurp
    Posts
    4,351

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    Because we have rotating and year long studies of the strains of flu?
    We actually have vaccines or treatments for the worst cases of flu and if you live in an intelligent country they are provided for free for those most at risk?
    They are not comparable so why bother doing it?
    those studies have shown the flu causes many casualties every year (absolute number not %) even if news dont talk about them
    they've shown it spreads just as readily as covid
    they've also shown the antivirals have very limited efficiency (just like the vaccines which are recent btw) against something that adapts faster than Covid

    the only positive difference is a lower % fatality rate for the flu

    a lockdown would be just as effective against flu as against covid


    Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    Soul is right.

  7. #67
    Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Smashing skulls!!
    Posts
    5,502

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SoulReaver View Post
    those studies have shown the flu causes many casualties every year (absolute number not %) even if news dont talk about them
    they've shown it spreads just as readily as covid
    they've also shown the antivirals have very limited efficiency (just like the vaccines which are recent btw) against something that adapts faster than Covid

    the only positive difference is a lower % fatality rate for the flu

    a lockdown would be just as effective against flu as against covid
    Alright negative Nancy, you do you. I'm not going to argue with you.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

  8. #68
    Lieutenant Colonel SoulReaver's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Yurp
    Posts
    4,351

    Tretonin Re: The Covid19 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    Alright negative Nancy, you do you. I'm not going to argue with you.
    that a reference to Pelosi? u dirty Don u


    Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    Soul is right.

  9. #69
    First Lieutenant
    Member Since
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    718

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by VampyreWraith View Post
    I don't think a several month lockdown is a viable solution, especially in the US.
    It's not sustainable to close down that long. But here is the latest bad news...
    Two new potential COVID-19 cases on opposite sides of the same state just popped up. Neither of these are connected to each other... so if they have the bug, it came from someone or something else.

    Case 1) Essential worker went home sick (day or 2 ago?) with possible symptoms (fever, etc.), so that means whoever and *whatever* he was in contact with (equipment/chairs,etc.--touched) in previous 14 days are exposed.

    Case 2) Nearby neighbor's mom now sick (today) with possible symptoms. Her 2 adult children work in "essential" stores and may have brought bug home to her, or she picked it up in major hospital center, while visiting her hubby on treatments for chemo (not virus related), week prior before "shelter in place" order became mandatory. Hospital gave her hubby okay to go home, but he can't do that and can't go anywhere else. Sickened mom has sister also living in same house, where they've been taking laundry out to public laundromat... (and so the cycle continues to go around and around...)

    Oh, and sickened mom drives both her kids to work every day, since neither of them have a driver's license nor other transportation. So... her car is obviously contaminated... (my hubby & I have been avoiding her and everyone else since before all these shut-downs occurred... she has a immune-compromised system, too, so she is a high risk for becoming seriously ill).

    Meantime, her kids should NOT be going to work either, since they live at mom's house. Oh, and one of them was walking outside and touched corner of someone else's fence! When I saw that, I went out there and sanitized that part of the fence down, and beyond--just in case, because the other neighbor is a house bound mom with 2 little toddlers. EEK...!

    So, even if the 2 to 3 weeks of staying in place works for NON-essential workers and businesses, (some of) the ESSENTIAL businesses are potential hot beds for spreading the bug even longer. Not a good situation.

    As noted prior, it ONLY takes ONE person to start the whole shut-down issue all over again. Where and how the virus is spreading depends on both sides of the public NOT touching or breathing on items put on shelves and/or passing on to customers (money/credit cards). Additionally, customers in those *essential* business places NEED to sanitize (all) items purchased and all other monetary items handled, plus wash their hands...

    So, how does one sanitize produce that are not pre-bagged? Or even if pre-bagged, what about the fresh food? How do we protect from that, as well? Suggestion... eat what at home foods already exist. WAIT in buying new stuff? Vinegar is a good veggie cleaner, but might not remove this virus..??
    Last edited by SGalisa; March 26th, 2020 at 12:16 PM. Reason: added info...

  10. #70
    First Lieutenant
    Member Since
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    718

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mad_gater View Post
    I think I read though that some people who get it even if they recover wind up with permanent reduced lung capacity and wind up needing at the very least a rescue inhaler for the rest of their lives, basically becoming an asthma patient

    Quote Originally Posted by VampyreWraith View Post
    I haven't read that, that's sad, especially if their lung capacity is severely reduced.
    Yes. True about the lungs being damaged and future healing capacity not good enough, but severely reduced.
    I tried finding a good link that describes how this turns super bad, but one site wanted a subscription, and the others need to dig for the info in other links.
    Here is a possible answer, but it's over my pay-scale (*snicker*)...


    "Here's the Damage Coronavirus (COVID-19) Can Do to Your Lungs"
    (clevelandclinic-dot-org)
    March 20, 2020 / Lung


    How the coronavirus causes acute respiratory distress syndrome...

    ...Most importantly, patients who are suffering from ARDS end up having damage to the walls of the air sacs in their lungs — the ones that help oxygen pass through into our red blood cells. That's what doctors term diffuse alvelolar damage.

    In a healthy lung, oxygen within these air sacs (alveolus) travels through to small blood vessels (capillaries). These tiny vessels, in turn, deliver the oxygen to your red blood cells.

    "Nature has evolved in a way that the wall of alveolus is very, very thin in a normal person so oxygen can easily get from the air space in between to the red blood cell," Dr. Mukhopadhyay explains.

    The coronavirus damages both the wall and lining cells of the alveolus as well as the capillaries. The debris that accumulates because of all of that damage lines the wall of the alveolus the same way paint would cover a wall, Dr. Mukhopadhyay points out. The damage to capillaries also causes them to leak plasma proteins that add to the wall’s thickness.


    "Eventually, the wall of the alveolus gets thicker than it should be," he notes. "The thicker this wall gets, the harder it is to transfer oxygen, the more you feel short of breath, and the more and more you start moving towards severe illness and possibly death."
    . . .
    Sounds similar to what some dermatitis conditions do to thicken skin cells, and what Fibrous cysts do to the body... they show up, build up, and add on to the existing thickened fibers and never dissolve (that is why chest mammograms are important!). Except this virus causes thickening of fibers in the lungs and is not reversible (yet). Thus, the decreased breathing abilities and shortness of breath / asthmatic conditions resulting.

  11. #71
    First Lieutenant epg20's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    here.
    Posts
    778

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SGalisa View Post
    It's not sustainable to close down that long. But here is the latest bad news...
    Two new potential COVID-19 cases on opposite sides of the same state just popped up. Neither of these are connected to each other... so if they have the bug, it came from someone or something else.

    Case 1) Essential worker went home sick (day or 2 ago?) with possible symptoms (fever, etc.), so that means whoever and *whatever* he was in contact with (equipment/chairs,etc.--touched) in previous 14 days are exposed.

    Case 2) Nearby neighbor's mom now sick (today) with possible symptoms. Her 2 adult children work in "essential" stores and may have brought bug home to her, or she picked it up in major hospital center, while visiting her hubby on treatments for chemo (not virus related), week prior before "shelter in place" order became mandatory. Hospital gave her hubby okay to go home, but he can't do that and can't go anywhere else. Sickened mom has sister also living in same house, where they've been taking laundry out to public laundromat... (and so the cycle continues to go around and around...)

    Oh, and sickened mom drives both her kids to work every day, since neither of them have a driver's license nor other transportation. So... her car is obviously contaminated... (my hubby & I have been avoiding her and everyone else since before all these shut-downs occurred... she has a immune-compromised system, too, so she is a high risk for becoming seriously ill).

    Meantime, her kids should NOT be going to work either, since they live at mom's house. Oh, and one of them was walking outside and touched corner of someone else's fence! When I saw that, I went out there and sanitized that part of the fence down, and beyond--just in case, because the other neighbor is a house bound mom with 2 little toddlers. EEK...!

    So, even if the 2 to 3 weeks of staying in place works for NON-essential workers and businesses, (some of) the ESSENTIAL businesses are potential hot beds for spreading the bug even longer. Not a good situation.

    As noted prior, it ONLY takes ONE person to start the whole shut-down issue all over again. Where and how the virus is spreading depends on both sides of the public NOT touching or breathing on items put on shelves and/or passing on to customers (money/credit cards). Additionally, customers in those *essential* business places NEED to sanitize (all) items purchased and all other monetary items handled, plus wash their hands...

    So, how does one sanitize produce that are not pre-bagged? Or even if pre-bagged, what about the fresh food? How do we protect from that, as well? Suggestion... eat what at home foods already exist. WAIT in buying new stuff? Vinegar is a good veggie cleaner, but might not remove this virus..??

    if you wash your fruits and veggies with warm water, and if you FEEL IT NECESSAIRY you can add some soap, to the water, just fill the sink add a teaspoon of soap to the water then dunk it in the water a couple of times and rinse it with warm water, it will do fine, even against this. here is a little info that may have ben missed, the researchers at the CDC level 4 bio labs, that is the Ebola and smallpox and anthrax, ect they use those pressurized full body suits, that you see in movies, when they are done doing research, they rinse off the suits in a shower that uses simple Lysol to kill the germs on the suits, so you don't need to worry, just good old soap and water is all you need to make sure your fruits and veggies are clean.

  12. #72
    Major Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,860

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SGalisa View Post
    It's not sustainable to close down that long.
    It's more sustainable than large numbers of people getting infected and dying or being left with crippled respiratory systems.

    Or are you of the school that believes that the health of wall street is more important than the health of people?

    And how badly would it damage the economy if everything just keep recurring because we won't shut down long enough for the virus to play itself out?
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  13. #73
    Major General VampyreWraith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    12,841

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    It won't just be an economic crisis (and it won't just be the big shots on wall street affected) if you have a several month long lockdown, there will also be mental health crisis.
    Even if there is a bit of a spike in cases after the initial lockdown ends, it shouldnt be as bad as the first time around.

  14. #74
    First Lieutenant
    Member Since
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    718

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    It's more sustainable than large numbers of people getting infected and dying or being left with crippled respiratory systems.

    Or are you of the school that believes that the health of wall street is more important than the health of people?
    No. I am simply saying if everything shuts down, meaning, potentially even the ESSENTIAL businesses, do you and everyone else affected by these shut-downs, and potential virus exposures, have enough food and supplies stocked up on short notice in some sort of bomb shelter scenario, if you should not venture out of your home/yard because this virus bug just keeps going around in circles ...and passes on to new people further and further into time, who didn't get it before? Most people I know, don't even have enough supplies to last a month, with fresh produce/meats/dairy being among those items for storage (2 weeks maybe, max for those items).

    THAT (I think), is what caused part of the panic-buying in the first place... People who did all that buying were expecting to get shut down at any moment. So, they wiped out the ESSENTIAL stores from certain products.

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    And how badly would it damage the economy if everything just keep recurring because we won't shut down long enough for the virus to play itself out?
    Very bad. World-wide collapse. In a 3 month shut-down, maybe some businesses will be able to bounce back. Remember what happened in 2001 with the WTC (domino effect hurt many businesses... I know that, because our company was watching the stats and it took six months to hurt our office's work levels), when businesses cut down their working staff nearly in half. This is similar, but 18-19 years ago, most places eventually were able to s-l-o-w-l-y bounce back.

    Give this current, deteriorating health situation, a *massive* potential six month shut-down or even longer than *that*, and that might wipe out some businesses permanently. World-wide collapse would be inevitable. THAT is why this whole situation is bad.

    It's also not just how much money is lost in retirement funds for people nearing retirement. A $72,000 fund 2 weeks ago, dropped $3,000 in 3 days. Keep that stat going downhill and nothing will be left. People are panicking and some tried to move the monies out into a safer place, but were told that they could not get their funds moved fast enough just yet... so they helplessly watch the rest of their accounts drop, until TPTB move it again.

    Might as well hide in some already existing / prepped up bunker, but the only folks I know who can do that are people who already have such shelters (who stocked up steadily over many months with canning, etc. from months prior of steady planning and prepping), and the super wealthy... or people who have friends with such shelters. Even the best of preppers have discussed that those shelters aren't going to be safe enough, if the rest of the world discovers where those shelters are, because those places would be the 2nd line of targeting in the hit lists for raiding. Only the missile silos that got converted might have a better chance at survival, until an earthquake cracks their hidden abodes. Of course, those are the absolute worst case-scenarios, too.

    Quote Originally Posted by VampyreWraith View Post
    It won't just be an economic crisis (and it won't just be the big shots on wall street affected) if you have a several month long lockdown, there will also be mental health crisis.
    Yep. Been hearing about some mental health issues, happening even now. So, it's already beginning. Some is related to those who have recovered, but now have lung problems to deal with... and potentially high costing health bills to deal with down the road, as time progresses forward.

  15. #75
    Lieutenant General Briangate78's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    18,965

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    Wow it’s been 5 years since I last posted here. Anyway hope everyone is safe out there. Just checking to see who still posts here.
    <a href=http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11231&dateline=1312816860 target=_blank>http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php...ine=1312816860</a>

  16. #76
    Major Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,860

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SGalisa View Post
    No. I am simply saying if everything shuts down, meaning, potentially even the ESSENTIAL businesses, do you and everyone else affected by these shut-downs, and potential virus exposures, have enough food and supplies stocked up on short notice in some sort of bomb shelter scenario, if you should not venture out of your home/yard because this virus bug just keeps going around in circles ...and passes on to new people further and further into time, who didn't get it before? Most people I know, don't even have enough supplies to last a month, with fresh produce/meats/dairy being among those items for storage (2 weeks maybe, max for those items).

    THAT (I think), is what caused part of the panic-buying in the first place... People who did all that buying were expecting to get shut down at any moment. So, they wiped out the ESSENTIAL stores from certain products.



    Very bad. World-wide collapse. In a 3 month shut-down, maybe some businesses will be able to bounce back. Remember what happened in 2001 with the WTC (domino effect hurt many businesses... I know that, because our company was watching the stats and it took six months to hurt our office's work levels), when businesses cut down their working staff nearly in half. This is similar, but 18-19 years ago, most places eventually were able to s-l-o-w-l-y bounce back.

    Give this current, deteriorating health situation, a *massive* potential six month shut-down or even longer than *that*, and that might wipe out some businesses permanently. World-wide collapse would be inevitable. THAT is why this whole situation is bad.

    It's also not just how much money is lost in retirement funds for people nearing retirement. A $72,000 fund 2 weeks ago, dropped $3,000 in 3 days. Keep that stat going downhill and nothing will be left. People are panicking and some tried to move the monies out into a safer place, but were told that they could not get their funds moved fast enough just yet... so they helplessly watch the rest of their accounts drop, until TPTB move it again.

    Might as well hide in some already existing / prepped up bunker, but the only folks I know who can do that are people who already have such shelters (who stocked up steadily over many months with canning, etc. from months prior of steady planning and prepping), and the super wealthy... or people who have friends with such shelters. Even the best of preppers have discussed that those shelters aren't going to be safe enough, if the rest of the world discovers where those shelters are, because those places would be the 2nd line of targeting in the hit lists for raiding. Only the missile silos that got converted might have a better chance at survival, until an earthquake cracks their hidden abodes. Of course, those are the absolute worst case-scenarios, too.



    Yep. Been hearing about some mental health issues, happening even now. So, it's already beginning. Some is related to those who have recovered, but now have lung problems to deal with... and potentially high costing health bills to deal with down the road, as time progresses forward.
    I've said you have to keep essentials open, as we do now. Food, Pharmacies, Fuel and such. We're already doing that. We should continue on our current course for at least a couple of months, with these essential services operating with greatly reduced customer contact. Maybe self-service checkout lines in supermarkets, drive thru pharmacies, etc. Gasoline is already mostly self-serve these days anyway...

    If we resume normal operations in a short period of time as some are suggesting, we will greatly increase the number of people infected with this, and with possible permanent lung damage, which you point out will be expensive to live with on a chronic basis that is something we must avoid. This virus almost seems as if it is designed to spread as easily as possible; it lives a long time on surfaces, has a long incubation period, etc. However, it seems to spread much more easily than others. The only way to slow or stop something like this is prolonged isolation.

    If we go back to normal too soon, we are going to have a far worse problem to deal with as far as people's health and lives go.

    On the other hand, the pressing force to open up soon is the stock market and such. Absolutely, a lot of money will be lost, and most of it by the small investor as he doesn't have the computer trading the rich players have and use to get their money out first. But to be blunt, the stock market has never been anything besides legalized gambling to begin with. If you gamble anywhere long enough, you will lose your shorts. And this particular game is rigged.

    I'm more concerned with people dying and becoming permanently crippled with respiratory issues than with people who gambled their money and lost.

    Yes, the economy will be damaged. But if we as a country have half the brains God promised a doorknob, we can recover quickly.

    It should be becoming obvious that maybe we shouldn't be so dependent upon China for everything. What would be the economic effect of returning all the manufacturing that we've outsourced to China to the US? Maybe an economic boom even larger than the one we've enjoyed the past few years? Remember what WWII manufacturing did for the US economy back then.

    If it does get to bomb shelter stage, I'm not worried about it at that point either. If it gets that far, it's game over anyway.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  17. #77
    General Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    ...out there...
    Posts
    34,908

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SoulReaver View Post
    gr8 idea - all of you show up at your windows at same time & let the wind do the rest
    How close do you think our windows are?

    I can't even reach my sister's bedroom window, not even stretching out... unless I fancy a 2 meter fall to the pavement below.

    Quote Originally Posted by VampyreWraith View Post
    I haven't read that, that's sad, especially if their lung capacity is severely reduced.
    Lung damage always reduces capacity
    Generally it'll heal on its own over a period of time, unless the damage is very severe which it can be in the case of Covid-19.

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    It's more sustainable than large numbers of people getting infected and dying or being left with crippled respiratory systems.

    Or are you of the school that believes that the health of wall street is more important than the health of people?

    And how badly would it damage the economy if everything just keep recurring because we won't shut down long enough for the virus to play itself out?
    What he said...

    Essential business won't shut down any time soon. Supplying them might be a bit tricky, especially if people continue to hoard, but they won't shut down. They didn't shut down during the war either.

    Quote Originally Posted by VampyreWraith View Post
    It won't just be an economic crisis (and it won't just be the big shots on wall street affected) if you have a several month long lockdown, there will also be mental health crisis.
    Even if there is a bit of a spike in cases after the initial lockdown ends, it shouldnt be as bad as the first time around.
    Mental health, suicides, domestic abuse... all of that and more.

    Quote Originally Posted by Briangate78 View Post
    Wow it’s been 5 years since I last posted here. Anyway hope everyone is safe out there. Just checking to see who still posts here.
    WOW!! Look who's back... ...and what a time to return.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 8 of SG-1
    First time time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

  18. #78
    Lieutenant General Briangate78's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    18,965

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post

    WOW!! Look who's back... ...and what a time to return.
    yeah have more free time and was going to start going on a Stargate re-watch binge. Lol. Hope all is well over there.
    <a href=http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11231&dateline=1312816860 target=_blank>http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php...ine=1312816860</a>

  19. #79
    Major General VampyreWraith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    12,841

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post


    Lung damage always reduces capacity
    Generally it'll heal on its own over a period of time, unless the damage is very severe which it can be in the case of Covid-19.



    Mental health, suicides, domestic abuse... all of that and more.
    I knew that lung damage reduces lung function, I just hadn't read anything on the topic of how this virus can affect the lung function of those that have recovered until MG mentioned it here and I went and read about it after.

    I can just imagine all the suicides and suicide attempts from people who've lost their livelyhoods and possibly even family members because of this.

    As for the several month lockdown idea, I still don't think it's necessary or viable. You can lockdown the people at high risk for several months, they can work from home or be on disability or something. Anyone with virus related anxiety can stay lockeddown as well and either work from home or get disability. All these people can get stuff delivered to them to minimize contact with others if they want, maybe provide masks for those that don't already have them or can't get them. Maybe have guidelines or rules for households that have high risk members to help minimize risk of infection. The high risk people could have their health monitored. Everyone else could go back to work and try to live normal lives again. There will be a risk of getting covid-19 if you haven't already gotten it, and some of those low-risk people may develop severe issues and die, but that's stuff we deal with everyday anyway. Sometimes normally healthy people die of the flu or of random bacterial infections. You can't lock healthy people up for months on end so that they can't try to make a living, cripple the economy (which affects more that just people gambling their money away on stocks), and cause a host of other issues in the process. Now, I'm not saying everything back to normal by Easter or anything, but I think several months of lockdown for everyone is excessive.

  20. #80
    General Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    ...out there...
    Posts
    34,908

    Default Re: The Covid19 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by VampyreWraith View Post
    As for the several month lockdown idea, I still don't think it's necessary or viable.
    The reason we are all in lockdown is to "flatten the curve" so that our hospitals can handle the number of patients.

    I think Italy is a prime example of what happens when you don't flatten the curve and you have an overload on patients in hospitals. You can't treat them all and have to make the choice on who to save and who to make as comfortable as possible because dying of Covid-19 is not a pleasant way to go.

    EDIT
    In fact, I just read an article that Doctors in the USA are toying with the ethical idea of a universal DNR for corona patients.
    End edit

    You can also be infected, have no symptoms whatsoever but still spread it like a proper Typhoid Mary or Patient Zero.

    if everyone could get tested, it might be possible to relax the lockdown rules but we have no way of doing that. There are simply not enough tests available and those that are should be kept for those who actually need them.

    We're gonna have to suffer a bit to make it through the worst, and maybe if we do so, we'll be able to ward if off faster when it returns for a second wave.

    I work for an HR company. I see what it does to companies which have to close and independent workers which have no income now... I see all of that up close and I worry about the economy. But I'd rather we face this **** head on right now, then have to suffer through ups and downs in the coming months -- I say get it over with and lets work together to make the best of it.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 8 of SG-1
    First time time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 52
    Last Post: January 20th, 2011, 05:04 AM
  2. The ANTI "ANTI-Character Thread" Thread.
    By fuchsia in forum SGA Characters and Relationships
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: September 5th, 2008, 10:53 AM
  3. Multi thread: The Tigh, Helo and Apollo ROCK thread.....
    By P-90_177 in forum Battlestar Galactica
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 20th, 2007, 07:43 AM
  4. Elizabeth Weir Appreciation Thread (Pro Thread)
    By Ebony Wolf in forum SGA Characters and Relationships
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 24th, 2006, 10:24 PM
  5. Daniel/Oma ship thread or Oma/Anubis ship thread
    By NG.1 in forum SG-1 Characters & Relationships
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: August 21st, 2005, 09:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •