The Anime Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Anime Thread

Apologies if there is one of these already (I looked and couldn't find anything).

So...long story short, for years I only watched science fiction, but after Atlantis I couldn't find a sci fi show I could really sink my teeth into. For a good few years I tuned into other shows, but none held my interest for too long. Then during a period of ill health where I was bored out of my mind, a friend of mines recommended some anime to me. At first I scoffed cos "it's for kids"...then I got hooked!

Anyhoo...I'm just wanting to know if there's any other anime fans out there on Gateworld. If so, post with your recommendations! Please also give any manga recs if they've never been adapted!

For me? I love

Naruto (and Shippuden and yes Boruto as well)
    Attack on Titan
    My Hero Academia
    Yuri on Ice
    ReLife
    Digimon Adventure
    Digimon Tamers
    Death Note (not finished watching it yet!)

and a few others besides these
    sigpic
    Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Originally posted by sueKay View Post
    Apologies if there is one of these already (I looked and couldn't find anything).

So...long story short, for years I only watched science fiction, but after Atlantis I couldn't find a sci fi show I could really sink my teeth into. For a good few years I tuned into other shows, but none held my interest for too long. Then during a period of ill health where I was bored out of my mind, a friend of mines recommended some anime to me. At first I scoffed cos "it's for kids"...then I got hooked!

Anyhoo...I'm just wanting to know if there's any other anime fans out there on Gateworld. If so, post with your recommendations! Please also give any manga recs if they've never been adapted!

For me? I love

Naruto (and Shippuden and yes Boruto as well)
    Attack on Titan
    My Hero Academia
    Yuri on Ice
    ReLife
    Digimon Adventure
    Digimon Tamers
    Death Note (not finished watching it yet!)

and a few others besides these
    Digimon is one of my personal favourites and I used to love Death Note but kinda got over it a little when I got to my mid-twenties and became much less Emo. I've tried getting into Attack on Titan but there's something about it that I just find terribly unsettling. My parter is a huge fan of Yuri on Ice and I gotta admit it's a great one. Plus I am obsessed with the opening for it.

My partner also got me into some "Slice of life" animes. One called "Kids on the slope" (or "Apollo on the Hill") Which is about a group of school kids in 1960's Japan coming together because of their love of improvised Jazz music. That has some great tunes in it. And also another called "Beck - The Mongolian Chop Squad" which is about the journey of a rock band as they go from their lead singer first discovering his love of music to their final gig together. It's really touching and again some great music and tunes (though while I usually don't mind either the Japanese or English dubs in anime in this case I strongly suggest the English dub.)

My favourite anime has to be Full Metal Alchemist though, particularly FMA Brotherhood. If you've never watched it I highly recommend it. Great imagine and a really fantastic plot. The original FMA came out around the same time as the Manga but quickly outpaced it so it ended up going its own way, whereas Brotherhood is the same story as the Manga.

I've also been getting into one I've found on Netflix (InEurope anyway) called Dragon Pilot. It's this really cute coming of age story about a girl who becomes an airforce pilot of a dragon that can disguise itself as an F-15 Fighter jet...

Gundam Wing was one I was a huge fan of as a kid and the Gundam franchise in general has a lot of great series in it, though most of them all deal with the same concept of the horrors of war in more or less the same way.

I can't recommend the series RWBY enough to people as well. It's a Western animation rather than Japanese but it's in the Japanese Anime style. It is off the wall fun and though the first season is a little ropey animation wise as they're still finding their feet, by the time you get to the third season it is just awesome.

If you are on a bit of an anime awakening at some point I would say you need to watch Neon Genesis Evangelion... Just cos everyone has to watch that at some point.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Some of my faves:

Urusei Yatsura
      Ranma 1/2
      Kimagure Orange Road
      Nadia and the Secret of Blue Water
      Super Dimensional Fortress Macross
      Sakura Wars
      Oh! My Goddess
      The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
      No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
      It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

My collection of Anime is quite dated, like me
        Hellsing (original and the OVA's)
        Bezerk
        Steel angel Karumi
        Bubblegum Crisis
        Robotech/ Macross
        Starblazers
        Cowboy Beebop
        Full metal Alchemist
        Trigun

I think that's about it that I actually own, but I have probably watched more either online or via streaming. I highly recommend all of them. Anime tells great stories, people just need to get over the fact it's, well, animated. Disney produced classic tales for decades in the animated format, so does Anime.
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I've always said there is an anime out there for everyone, it's just like regular television but animated! Once I convince people of that it's usually not difficult to get them hooked. I mean I got my 70 year old mother to watch some series because she enjoys a good story regardless of format and we found some that appealed to her.

Just off the top of my head here are some recs...

Hikaru no Go - At first you may think a show about a 2,000+ year old board game might be boring, but it's actually a wonderful coming of age story with a small supernatural element - main character accidentally becomes the host to an ancient Go master's ghost and finds out he actually has a natural aptitude for the game.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - This one stands out from it's predecessor because it is a faithful adaptation of the manga, which was still being published at the time of the first anime series. Both series are good, but this one is a just a little better because it shows the author's original intentions. Action packed with a little bit of humor, drama, and suspense this one will keep you on the edge of your seat.

Naruto - The episode count can be intimating, between the first series and Shippudden it's 750 episodes plus 10 movies and a few spin offs (and then there is Boruto), but there are guides out there that can cut that number down quite a bit if you skip the fillers. But there is a reason this series is so popular. The creator draws heavily on Japanese ninja folklore and mythology and creates a unique and original world and cast of memorable characters. I adore this series. As for Boruto, the manga is far superior to the anime because right now the show is bogged down by hit and miss filler content since the manga is publishing at a slower rate than Naruto did. While I am current on the Boruto manga, I have fallen very behind on the anime.

Gundam - Everyone has to try at least one Gundam series right? There are enough of them now that I feel there is a Gundam series out there for everyone. Some are fun and maybe a little wacky (G-Gundam anyone?) while others are dramatic and often a commentary on war.

Sports Anime - Okay this isn't actually a series but a genre. I have a soft spot for sports anime. Why? Because it is often uplifting, motivational, and usually doesn't have the characters split between good guys and bad guys (although there is usually some jerk characters). Sometimes you'll find yourself rooting for the team that the main character isn't on because they are training and trying just as hard as everyone else. Sometimes the main character doesn't win because that's life. And sports anime can range from being relatively realistic to just so outrageous the characters might as well have superpowers, so it is really easy to find one that caters to your taste in anime. Titles I can recommend right off the bat (ha ha) are Slam Dunk, Haikyuu, Run With the Wind, Yowamushi Pedal, Hajime no Ippo, Tomorrow's Joe, Ookiku Furikabutte, and Baby Steps.
          After years away, rewatching Stargate from the beginning...
          Last watched episode: SG-1 S3 E15 - Pretense

Comment

Really not big on anime but sure got hooked on "Fully Cooly". That wasn't bad!
            Uni-Verse "One song one truth" Avrakehdabra literally means "Create as you speak". Words use energy, use them wisely. Words cast spells,that is why its called SPELLING. Negative energy runs down your immune system. Stay positive and manifest your own reality!

Comment

Been a while since I watched some but I used to enjoy

Hellsing
              Seraph of the End
              Black Bullet
              Detective Conan
              Inuyasha
              Yu-Gi-Oh!
              Digimon

Comment

I have so far seen and will always adore:

Sword Art Online I & II + Ordinal Scale
                Kiki's Delivery Service
                In Another World With my Smartphone
                Laputa: Castle In the Sky
                Ghost in the Shell: First two films, The New Movie, Solid State Society, Individual Eleven, and Laughing Man
                Cowboy Bebop: The Movie
                Mary and the Witch's Flower

I highly recommend each and every one!
                "Welcome to the Good place"

Let's save the planet, it's the only one we have.

Comment

The Fate Franchise for the most part. Fate Zero is an anime classic as far as I'm concerned. How many anime have you watch a father blow off the head of his own 5 year old daughter before strangling his wife but because of the circumstances around it, you can understand and might even support his actions. The original Fate Stay Night is a guilty pleasure. Not good (and it has not aged well as an early 2000 anime). But not as bad as everyone says. And a good introduction to the lore of Fate. Because there's A LOT of stuff to learn. And anything touched by Ufotable comes out beautifully.

I do highly recommend Fate. Fate Stay Night as a starter. Carnival Phantasm is sub only but it's great for a laugh. Then the prequel Fate Zero. Followed by the Unlimited Blade Works series (not movie. the movie was genuinely bad). Then finish off with the Heaven's Feel Trilogy.
                  (Yeah, Saber FTW as waifu material)

Everyone's mentioned FMAB. The only thing I'll add is all hail Wrath.

If you want a funny slice of life, Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun gave me some laughs.

sigpic
                  Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
                  https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Working...
                  X