Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45
  1. #1
    Site Admin GateWorld's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,108

    Post Et in Arcadia Ego, Part 2 (110)

    Visit the Episode GuideSTAR TREK: PICARD - SEASON ONE
    ET IN ARCADIA EGO,
    PART 2

    EPISODE NUMBER - 110
    As the Romulans reach Capelius, Picard and the La Sirena crew make an unlikely alliance to prevent the synths from activating a beacon that could doom all organic life -- bringing about the very disaster foretold in ancient prophecy.

    VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; May 15th, 2020 at 11:40 AM.

  2. #2
    Chief Master Sergeant
    Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    199

    Default Re: Et in Arcadia Ego, Part 2 (110)

    i had like serious what the F moment when Narek goes to Borg cube and then we find out the he's sister wasnt teleport out of the cube. Then how did she survive the ex borg ? Yet again a plot hole that we dont know what happened.

    I dont have much to say about the last episode as it started slow and boring. Then there was 5-10 minutes of interesting things happening and then lots of crying and boring drama. And then we get to the point we have waited the whole season and then that ended. One thing i really didnt like was the part of Data in the end. Ok the story of him wanting to die and not exist in it form of what he had is what i understand, but the way we needed to see his skin turning to cray when Picard pulling out the usb sticks. Like why was that necessary ? Data had plastic body and when he was turned off he's body didnt change color now why did it needed to change color in that state he was ? Like just close the eyes and dust away would have been enough.
    sorry about my lack of language skills as it is not my daily language and have learned it by my self as not from any help of others or a school

  3. #3
    Colonel mad_gater's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    7,088

    Default Re: Et in Arcadia Ego, Part 2 (110)

    Quote Originally Posted by lopo30 View Post
    i had like serious what the F moment when Narek goes to Borg cube and then we find out the he's sister wasnt teleport out of the cube. Then how did she survive the ex borg ? Yet again a plot hole that we dont know what happened.

    I dont have much to say about the last episode as it started slow and boring. Then there was 5-10 minutes of interesting things happening and then lots of crying and boring drama. And then we get to the point we have waited the whole season and then that ended. One thing i really didnt like was the part of Data in the end. Ok the story of him wanting to die and not exist in it form of what he had is what i understand, but the way we needed to see his skin turning to cray when Picard pulling out the usb sticks. Like why was that necessary ? Data had plastic body and when he was turned off he's body didnt change color now why did it needed to change color in that state he was ? Like just close the eyes and dust away would have been enough.
    maybe that's why he wanted to die...running on memory technology that would be almost 400 years old by that point

  4. #4
    Colonel P-90_177's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Traveling through Time and Space
    Posts
    7,281

    Default Re: Et in Arcadia Ego, Part 2 (110)

    Quote Originally Posted by lopo30 View Post
    i had like serious what the F moment when Narek goes to Borg cube and then we find out the he's sister wasnt teleport out of the cube. Then how did she survive the ex borg ? Yet again a plot hole that we dont know what happened.

    I dont have much to say about the last episode as it started slow and boring. Then there was 5-10 minutes of interesting things happening and then lots of crying and boring drama. And then we get to the point we have waited the whole season and then that ended. One thing i really didnt like was the part of Data in the end. Ok the story of him wanting to die and not exist in it form of what he had is what i understand, but the way we needed to see his skin turning to cray when Picard pulling out the usb sticks. Like why was that necessary ? Data had plastic body and when he was turned off he's body didnt change color now why did it needed to change color in that state he was ? Like just close the eyes and dust away would have been enough.
    It didn't need to change colour. It was just a symbolic gesture. Data had achieved death, which as he had told Picard was a key part of the mortal experience. Data had thus achieved, as best as could be expected, what he had wanted all his life.

    For my own part I still highly enjoyed this episode, though I did feel it was a little rushed in places and I think I definitely didn't feel the emotional beats I was supposed to. But let's start with what I did like.

    The overall feel of the episode felt very Next Gen. That sense of having a problem and not giving up until you find the correct solution. Picard's solution of showing the androids that a human would sacrifice themselves for them was likewise something that I very much would expect to have seen in TNG. I mean hell, Picard was willing on more than one occasion to lay down his life for a civilisation, in this case he was doing so for all civilisation.
    Agnes was a highlight too. I really like her chemistry with Patrick Stewart, and it felt like the relationship they had when they were going off against the alien fleet was quite well earned.
    Riker showing up was of course awesome. And he resorted to the same sort of gunboat diplomacy which we saw so often in TNG when they had to deal with the Romulans.
    Picard's conversation with Data was beautiful and I feel this episode really fixed the great injustice that was done to Data in Nemesis. It gave them a final conversation and that word "love" that they use to describe their relationship is so perfect and it's a word that I wish was used more to describe these sorts of relationships. I'm sure there will be people who don't understand who try to twist it into thinking that the show was trying to say Picard was IN love with Data and tried to make a gay relationship which wasn't there but that's not it at all. There's no hint of romantic love there. Just love between two people who have known each other a very long time and mean a great deal to each other. I wish more people could be brave enough to say those words to each other.

    Now for a few cons.

    There is this kind of style to modern tv story telling that insists that the writers try to keep the viewers guessing, so you just sort of throw events onto the screen and the notion is that the story keeps twisting and turning so that the viewer can't possibly guess what's going to happen... The problem with that is that most of the time there's still a certain formula being adhered to so you can tell what will happen and what won't happen, often based purely on how far into the episode you are. Because of this I found this really quite a predictable episode, from Narek and crew's failure to blow up the transmitter, to Picards death which was then not a death, to Starfleet turning up and so on. It just made the episode feel like it lacked weight, which is a shame because there was a lot of potential here.

    The Imagination tool... Or as I prefer to call it the Technobabble device. I actually found this really funny and honestly I'd be ok with it on the whole IF there was some mention of how it integrated into the La Sirena to create the holo-fleet. It really only needed to be a throw away line of it somehow working in tandem with the ship's holo emitters or something, but something would have been nice.

    I might have missed it but Narek just kind of... disappeared. Last thing he did was ask Soji to not go through with the plan and then nothing... I feel like there must be a deleted scene somewhere. In fact I kinda feel like there should be a few deleted scenes knocking about.

    Dr. Soong deciding to help the team was... Fine... I mean he's human so that makes sense but I kinda feel like the episode would have worked better if he'd just gone off the deep end crazy for keeping his creations safe. I mean I know Spiner can act insane.

    The crew really didn't do much... I mean Seven had a small moment. But Raffi, Rios and Elnor really were kind of inconsequential. Which is a big shame after episode 8 where the crew finally pulled together and demonstrated that they were a team.

    All in all the more I think about it the more I reckon that though this was a... pleasing episode, it was terribly flawed. It felt like rather than a two part finale it really needed three parts to really dig into the characters a bit more.

    I think also there was a certain level of artificial tension introduced when the inter-dimensional AI tentacles showed up. I mean it looked menacing but ultimately I think the episode would have been better served if they tried and then... Nothing happened. Like Soji backed down and most of the other androids backed down but then Sutra still tried and it turned out that despite the Admonition it was all just a myth still, and just leave that open question of "was there ever this threat? Did the race that left the Admonition really get wiped out by this? Could they still be out there somewhere?" that layer of accepting the unknown was always something that TNG was good at and I think it would have been of benefit here.

    That being said, I have loved this series. Not as much as Discovery I must admit but it's been great and I really want more of these characters and see the fallout to this whole thing. I get the feeling that a second season will build upon things quite nicely though. It's the law of Trek that first seasons are always ropey and very hit and miss. It is without fail. If anything I think it's comforting.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

  5. #5
    Chief Master Sergeant
    Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    199

    Default Re: Et in Arcadia Ego, Part 2 (110)

    Tbh i still dont understand the part of the Naryssa why she was left behind in the borg cube ? How did she know Seven was on board and how would she know that Seven will pilot the borg cube to the synths planet ?
    All we knew she beamed away and the next scene was Romulans ships and then go to warp. We even didnt know that the Borg cube will fallow to the synths world as there was nothing to suggest that will happen in the end of 8th episode. It was a surprise that it come there in episode 9.

    So basically Naryssa was left there just so Seven can kill her by pure luck as the fight was just horrible where Seven didnt show any skill of fighting and was utterly slow doing it too. It was just there so the hated character will get finally killed off and that was it pretty much.

    I dont see Picar love like a LGBT+ over Data it was love of a old friend and nothing more.
    The end of the show where now we are really sure that Seven is now a lesbian. Sorry but i just dont understand it. Raffi didnt show anything that she was lesbian too trough out the full season and then they needed to have the last scene that Seven and Raffi reach out to each other. They didnt even have any contact in the full season to suggest that would be a thing in the end. Thats the another woke thing that was forced on to us in the end that i really dont like.

    Rios jump over the fence then take out the football and let the bomb fly in the hands of Soji. Why did he need to jump over fence to get in the middle of them all ? Why not go around behind everyone and then in secret have that bomb planed on the structure of the antennae ?

    The monster from other universe or what ever made no sense too. Gigantic octopus or something metallic thing to save them all and kill all organics. Sorry but the synths were organics too pretty much and then it was to only get signal to them and not open a gateway for it to come. How would it be so dangerous when it's only open a gateway for it that it cant come trough by it's own power and technology. It knows the signal location so it should be already so advanced to get trough by there own to save the synths.

    It's all just plotholes here and there and nothing get explained. Yes it had the TNG feeling in the end and Riker was spot on. But it all was just lazy writing. A lots of cool ideas like massively a lot of good ideas that was packed in the 10 episodes but like 70% of them got nowhere and not explained.
    sorry about my lack of language skills as it is not my daily language and have learned it by my self as not from any help of others or a school

  6. #6
    Staff Sergeant
    Member Since
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    87

    Default Re: Et in Arcadia Ego, Part 2 (110)

    Easter Eggs And References In ‘Star Trek: Picard’ Season One Finale

    Riker is acting captain of the USS Zheng He, a Curiosity-class ship. Apparently there were other classes, but most are too small to identify.

  7. #7
    Chief Master Sergeant
    Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    199

    Default Re: Et in Arcadia Ego, Part 2 (110)

    Quote Originally Posted by EricG View Post
    Easter Eggs And References In ‘Star Trek: Picard’ Season One Finale

    Riker is acting captain of the USS Zheng He, a Curiosity-class ship. Apparently there were other classes, but most are too small to identify.
    Riker said it was the most powerful ship star fleet had ever made
    Weird that wasnt enterprise as the most of the most in this show
    sorry about my lack of language skills as it is not my daily language and have learned it by my self as not from any help of others or a school

  8. #8
    Colonel squirrely1's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2009
    Location
    In a tree somewhere
    Posts
    5,086

    Default Re: Et in Arcadia Ego, Part 2 (110)

    I liked the Picard series and thought it was well done for the most part. In watching the Easter Egg vid by Goldsman and Chabon they said there were no Easter Eggs in the beginning credits but seriously I always thought it was weird that the opening credits was actually the assembly of Picard from pieces like they were "putting him back together again" humpty dumpty style. Now after seeing the finale it makes sense. Before that I didn't really get that visual. I think that should be considered a huge easter egg or at least a foreshadowing.
    Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    This brings much pain but SQ is right

  9. #9
    Colonel P-90_177's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Traveling through Time and Space
    Posts
    7,281

    Default Re: Et in Arcadia Ego, Part 2 (110)

    Quote Originally Posted by lopo30 View Post
    Riker said it was the most powerful ship star fleet had ever made
    Weird that wasnt enterprise as the most of the most in this show
    Not... Really. You build ships that will hopefully be around for decades and in that time new ships will still come out that are more advanced and more powerful. The original Enterprise was in service for around 40 years and by the end of its service was just a training ship. The same sort of thing would have happened to the D if it had survived and likely the E too. Refitting a vessel will only take you so far. Enterprise, to our knowledge isn't even the flagship most of the time as the only Enterprise we know for a fact was flagship of the fleet was the Enterprise D.

  10. #10
    Colonel mad_gater's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    7,088

    Default Re: Et in Arcadia Ego, Part 2 (110)

    Quote Originally Posted by P-90_177 View Post
    Not... Really. You build ships that will hopefully be around for decades and in that time new ships will still come out that are more advanced and more powerful. The original Enterprise was in service for around 40 years and by the end of its service was just a training ship. The same sort of thing would have happened to the D if it had survived and likely the E too. Refitting a vessel will only take you so far. Enterprise, to our knowledge isn't even the flagship most of the time as the only Enterprise we know for a fact was flagship of the fleet was the Enterprise D.
    if the Enterprise-D had survived Veridian 3 I imagine it would've eventually gotten that Galaxy-X dreadnought upgrade seen in "All Good Things..."

  11. #11
    Chief Master Sergeant
    Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    199

    Default Re: Et in Arcadia Ego, Part 2 (110)

    Quote Originally Posted by P-90_177 View Post
    Not... Really. You build ships that will hopefully be around for decades and in that time new ships will still come out that are more advanced and more powerful. The original Enterprise was in service for around 40 years and by the end of its service was just a training ship. The same sort of thing would have happened to the D if it had survived and likely the E too. Refitting a vessel will only take you so far. Enterprise, to our knowledge isn't even the flagship most of the time as the only Enterprise we know for a fact was flagship of the fleet was the Enterprise D.

    That was old Star Trek. This new dont have anything in common with the old one. Picard cant even fly a ship and he have been away from ships only 10-15 years. Who they school on these 40 years old ships that were push buttons or touch screen controls when now everything is hologram ? We cant talk about anything that was before and what use to be when nothing have is same or even close to it.

    Like all say that time change and everything change. In this new star trek everything have change so much that 10 years not involved with ships and you cant even fly them anymore cause you dont know how
    sorry about my lack of language skills as it is not my daily language and have learned it by my self as not from any help of others or a school

  12. #12
    Colonel P-90_177's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Traveling through Time and Space
    Posts
    7,281

    Default Re: Et in Arcadia Ego, Part 2 (110)

    Quote Originally Posted by lopo30 View Post
    That was old Star Trek. This new dont have anything in common with the old one. Picard cant even fly a ship and he have been away from ships only 10-15 years. Who they school on these 40 years old ships that were push buttons or touch screen controls when now everything is hologram ? We cant talk about anything that was before and what use to be when nothing have is same or even close to it.

    Like all say that time change and everything change. In this new star trek everything have change so much that 10 years not involved with ships and you cant even fly them anymore cause you dont know how
    Kinda proves my initial point...

    But of course technology has progressed that far. Look how far we've come in RL in 40 years.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

  13. #13
    Staff Sergeant
    Member Since
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    87

    Default Re: Et in Arcadia Ego, Part 2 (110)

    The touch screens in TNG looked futuristic and still don't seem dated.

    TOS looked dated after a decade. Would have been great if they had Spacewar!

    I don't think holographic interfaces will take off because they're not tactile. They just look cool.

  14. #14
    Colonel P-90_177's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Traveling through Time and Space
    Posts
    7,281

    Default Re: Et in Arcadia Ego, Part 2 (110)

    Quote Originally Posted by EricG View Post
    The touch screens in TNG looked futuristic and still don't seem dated.

    TOS looked dated after a decade. Would have been great if they had Spacewar!

    I don't think holographic interfaces will take off because they're not tactile. They just look cool.
    With the holographic tech that exists in the 24th Century you can't tell me those holo screens aren't tactile.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

  15. #15
    Staff Sergeant
    Member Since
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    87

    Default Re: Et in Arcadia Ego, Part 2 (110)

    Quote Originally Posted by P-90_177 View Post
    With the holographic tech that exists in the 24th Century you can't tell me those holo screens aren't tactile.
    Tactile definition: perceptible by touch or apparently so; tangible.
    Nothing to touch on a hologram.

  16. #16
    Colonel P-90_177's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Traveling through Time and Space
    Posts
    7,281

    Default Re: Et in Arcadia Ego, Part 2 (110)

    Quote Originally Posted by EricG View Post
    Tactile definition: perceptible by touch or apparently so; tangible.
    Nothing to touch on a hologram.
    They have holograms that are solid. There is no reason not to implement that kind of holography in their consoles too. It's not like they need to create something as complex as they have on the holodeck. All they need is a basic holo projection that feels like it has some resistance when you touch it.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

  17. #17
    Captain cosmichobo's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Geelong, AU
    Posts
    1,532

    Default Re: Et in Arcadia Ego, Part 2 (110)

    When you start the final episode of the first season, with an ad for the second season, and then kill the lead character 15 minutes out from the end of the episode... it doesn't take a genius to piece together the puzzle, to work out how they will resurrect him.

    Did that take away from what happened? Well... for me, no, it didn't. Seeing Picard die was upsetting, seeing his conversation with Data was bloody brilliant and wonderful...

    I don't quite get what they do from here... but we know that Guinan is a likely guest...
    as seen on YouTube - thecosmichobo
    "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
    "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
    and lots more!

  18. #18
    Colonel P-90_177's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Traveling through Time and Space
    Posts
    7,281

    Default Re: Et in Arcadia Ego, Part 2 (110)

    Quote Originally Posted by cosmichobo View Post
    When you start the final episode of the first season, with an ad for the second season, and then kill the lead character 15 minutes out from the end of the episode... it doesn't take a genius to piece together the puzzle, to work out how they will resurrect him.

    Did that take away from what happened? Well... for me, no, it didn't. Seeing Picard die was upsetting, seeing his conversation with Data was bloody brilliant and wonderful...

    I don't quite get what they do from here... but we know that Guinan is a likely guest...
    Chabon has said that season 2 will be in a different direction again so likely less to do with the Borg, androids or Romulans, but I suspect that there will still be some background or blowback in regards to it. My hope is that one way or another next season might see other Alpha Quadrant races. The Ferengi or Cardassians would be great. The Gorn would be great too since Chabon has a fairly severe obsession with them.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

  19. #19
    The Monitor jelgate's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Preparing for Crisis
    Posts
    37,057

    Default Re: Et in Arcadia Ego, Part 2 (110)

    It's not going to happen but I really want to know the status of the Dominion
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

  20. #20
    Colonel P-90_177's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Traveling through Time and Space
    Posts
    7,281

    Default Re: Et in Arcadia Ego, Part 2 (110)

    Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    It's not going to happen but I really want to know the status of the Dominion
    I doubt it'll happen in the next season but sooner or later we will likely get some Dominion info from either Picard, Discovery or another show.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Amy Pond and the fall of Arcadia
    By Admiral Mappalazarou in forum Doctor Who
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: July 30th, 2014, 11:02 AM
  2. How do you feel about "Joan of Arcadia/Wrestling" on SyFy?
    By Captain Obvious in forum Sci-Fi & Fantasy Television
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: October 9th, 2009, 05:36 AM
  3. Joan of Arcadia
    By jenniferhailey in forum Sci-Fi & Fantasy Television
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: July 28th, 2008, 04:10 AM
  4. Avalon Part 1-Lost City Part 2 Error
    By NowIWillDestroyAbydos in forum Stargate SG-1
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: August 16th, 2005, 04:31 PM
  5. Replies: 9
    Last Post: March 18th, 2005, 04:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •