Aiden Ford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aiden Ford

I'm doing a rewatch on Atlantis. Was there ever a definitive reason that Rainbow Franks left the show or was fired?

Show writers and producers made the decision to write Francks out. Francks said he was fine with it for creative reasons because Ford didn't have a lot of character development in season 1. You can see him talk about it below. Mind you, he was trying to promote his recurring story arc in season 2 at the time, so he may not have been as fine as he claimed. The important point is that he affirms that it wasn't his decision, but rather something he had to react to.

Rainbow Sun Francks: Actually it wasn’t really such a blow. It was something that we, myself and Brad [Wright, executive producer], had spoken about. It wasn’t a bad thing taken by me at all.

[In] Season One my character didn’t have the development that we though it would. It didn’t get the chance because there weren’t enough episodes. It was something that happened, and it wasn’t a bad thing. We took it as now I have the chance to be there, and when I’m there I actually have a purpose. My character is going on a great story arc that’s going to help with the season, and it’s going to be a big part of it. It’s going to be a part of the story, finally. And that’s something that I think I waited for. So less episodes but more actual work. That’s more important to all of us, I think.

I think it’s all for the good of the series, and having me there as a “Yes man” or a “No man” isn’t as important as having me there as a monumental character. I didn’t really have any bad feelings. The only bad feeling was financial. But other than that, as an artist, I think it’s one of the greatest things that could have happened.

We’re both extremely happy with what’s been written so far. Martin Gero has definitely written a great first script. And we’re really just excited to see where this character is going to go. It’s going to be very different.

There was no hard feelings. It wasn’t like I felt bad about it. I felt very good because I knew that I was going to get to work. And I was going to get to do good work and they were going to write some really cool stuff for me.

Ford reports on the status of General O’Neill’s helicopter in Rainbow’s first scene on Atlantis. From “Rising”

The minute we found it out, in the same meeting it was like, “Alright, we’re going to bring you back as recurring.” We instantly were coming up with great ideas. It was like, “Alright, this is where this character can go now.” And that was really cool, in the same meeting. It wasn’t like, “Oh, no. I need a week to figure out life …” It was like, “OK, so what are we going to do?” It was really cool. So it’s definitely going to be a better thing than a worse thing.
    https://www.gateworld.net/news/2005/04/ford-up-front/

Comment

You're right, it really doesn't sound like he was happy about it...as though he was trying to make the best of a situation he was really unhappy about, but wanted the work...Thanks for letting me know...there are myriad threads about the character, but I was just wondering about the actor.

Comment

This was exactly the main problem with SGA. They had great cast, great characters, but ended up ditching a large percent of them for story recycling purposes.

Comment

Nothing was wrong with Ford, but simply he was not planned and written well. You can't start a main character without any interesting background plot or any major character development. Because what was his rule? To be funny, loyal, enthusiastic and supportive. Really? Is that it? There was hardly any stories written around him as he was just a secondary, supportive charcter next to Sheppard and McKay. His SuperFord storyline should have continued in seasson 3-5.
          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Working...
          X