The shape and landing of Ha'tak ships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The shape and landing of Ha'tak ships

Have you noticed that some space battle animations shows the center part of the Ha'tak ships as a triangular-based pyramid instead of square-based pyramid? Have the CGI teams made an error is such cases? It is visible only when they show they Ha'tak ships from the bottom. Because if it is triangular they can not land on pyramids. They have clearly shown the landing in 4x21 Double Jeopardy.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

That they are triangular is not an error. Even all of the concept art shows that they are triangular. It's likely that those ships no longer need to land on pyramids, or they prefer not to, with the advent of Al'kesh, Tel'tak, and ring transporters. The two or three times we do see them "land" (the times I know of clearly are in There But For the Grace of God as it lands on top of the mountain, and in Double Jeopardy), they actually hover instead of touch down. In Double Jeopardy I do think there's a CGI error as it seems the ship lowers over the pyramid far more than it likely should've been able to.

Comment

Thanks. I have noticed this error for a few times, but I didn't bother to moan about it.

Ra's ship is a Kheops type in the Stargate movie, but it was never named in the series as far as I know.

Then the Ha'tak ships have arrived with the protective "bumpers". Even the shape of the ship is similar to a triangle anyway. Theoratically then the inner pyramid part should have a massive hollow if they still land on pyramids. What is not really practical as you can't fill the interiors with roomd and corridors.
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

The bottom is at least partly hollow, just enough for it to hover over the pyramid and the mountain as seen. This is also likely where the shield generator is located, as seen in The Serpent's Lair, due it being a huge open space with the generator at the bottom.

The errors were actually some of the computer graphics, which showed the Ha'taks as square.

The concept art, posted by Joe a few days ago, also showed that each side of the pyramid shape is 450 meters at the bottom, which seemingly fits with the size of the bridge window and the glider bay exit, but may make the interior somewhat small (given the huge shield generator compartment and the hollow bottom). The ship is 1km at its widest point, 400 meters tall (250 meters minus the pyramid), and the sides of the pyramid are at 60 degrees at the top.
        Last edited by NickEast; 25 February 2020, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Nice to see you back.

I just don't like such CGI errors. 8 chevron stargates or two sided stargates in Atlantis as well then this one... I know it is only a tv show, but the supervisors or producers could have kept a better eye on such little details.

It would be nice to hear a story why they needed later this pyramid shape. It was the connection to the Egyptian mythology in the movies just since they have got the ring platforms and many other type of cargo ships, they don't have to land with the Ha'taks on the planets anymore. It feels like the pyramids were just a legacy from their complicated past.

Not to mention that even the Giant Aliens (in season 3's Chyrstal Skull) has got pyramids too. So could there be any connection? We will never know officially.

Comment

Working...
          X