• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nepenthe (107)

Visit the Episode GuideSTAR TREK: PICARD - SEASON ONE
    NEPENTHE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 107
    A need to find refuge brings Jean-Luc and Soji to the home of two old friends, where Soji struggles over whom she can trust. Rios and the others try to shake a Romulan tail, while on the Artifact Hugh and Elnor deal with the repercussions of their actions.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 07 March 2020, 12:19 PM.

To be honest if they kill 7of9 in next episode it wont be any surprise as they seem to kill off everyone from the past series. They are just for nostalgia good to see old character from the past and then they dont know what to do with these characters and just kill them off.
    sorry about my lack of language skills as it is not my daily language and have learned it by my self as not from any help of others or a school

Comment

Seeing Picard with the Rikers again was really great, loved how Will figured out the whole Soji thing.

Not sure how Romulan Legolas got the Ranger call fob? 7 gave one to Picard maybe Hugh also had one? Wonder if we'll see Riker in command of a Starship again given he said he was still on active reserve?
      A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Seeing the reunion between Riker and Troi with Picard was sort of nice. But more importantly

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO on what happened to Hugh.
        "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

I have no hard feeling about the Hugh. He was in TNG like 1-2 episodes if i remember right and wasnt anything special to me. Killing off Icheb on the other hand was a lot worse as he was like 2 seasons in Voyager but not on every episode. But never mind about how much anyone were in the shows this killing off the old characters like that isnt OK. Dont have a clue what to write about them then just send them off to some journey and thats it. And whats up with all these 3D printers in this show ? Pretty much every replicator in this show is a 3D printer and they cant even hide the parts of the 3D printer with some paper or what ever if we wont see it work anyways and the food and tools they get from there is like the teleport looks like. And yes that Rangers SOS thingy was just there so Elnor can find it for no reason what so ever how it got there and so on as Elnor was hiding under a table for some reason.
          sorry about my lack of language skills as it is not my daily language and have learned it by my self as not from any help of others or a school

Comment

I really enjoyed this episode, with the reunion of Riker, Troi and Picard... and burned pizza.

Elnor, though, ... ...failing Hugh like that.

I thought Raffi was gonna get Agnes some of her strong alcohol but nope, she got her velvet cake and chocolate milk.

And then Agnes ... tried to kill herself?

Looking forward to next week!
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
              I

I thought Raffi was gonna get Agnes some of her strong alcohol but nope, she got her velvet cake and chocolate milk.
              Auntie Raffi's space pot red velvet cake XD

I presume she was trying to stop the Romulans from tracking them now why she thought killing herself would stop the chew-able tracking device from work I don't know? Best way to achieve that aim is to throw yourself out the airlock
              A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Love, love, LOVE this episode!
                So sad about Hugh but he already set things in motion by saving Picard and telling Elnor to go by the Queen Cell.

Seeing Riker and Troi again was perfect and they were just the right balance of themselves but with added experience. Such a bittersweet feeling too. Kestra was awesome too and I loved the kind of true to life echo during the dinner scene where it was the teenager on her comm device that solved the problem. Even in the 24th Century the best solution is to go with Google.

Not having Picard with the rest of the tram was really to the benefit of fleshing them out and seeing who these people are away from him. My one complaint with the episode is that Raffi and Rios both seemed a little too dim when dealing with Jurrati. But that being said it is true that they would have no real reason to distrust her. Like Rios said she'd been on the ship the whole time.

Can't wait for next week. Seven is back on her way.
                Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by lopo30 View Post
                  I have no hard feeling about the Hugh. He was in TNG like 1-2 episodes if i remember right and wasnt anything special to me. Killing off Icheb on the other hand was a lot worse as he was like 2 seasons in Voyager but not on every episode. But never mind about how much anyone were in the shows this killing off the old characters like that isnt OK. Dont have a clue what to write about them then just send them off to some journey and thats it. And whats up with all these 3D printers in this show ? Pretty much every replicator in this show is a 3D printer and they cant even hide the parts of the 3D printer with some paper or what ever if we wont see it work anyways and the food and tools they get from there is like the teleport looks like. And yes that Rangers SOS thingy was just there so Elnor can find it for no reason what so ever how it got there and so on as Elnor was hiding under a table for some reason.
                  The food replicators don't look like 3D printers, only the industrial tool replicators. Which I like. Because 3D printers are our concern day solution to replicators I feel like it's a clear not towards what originally inspired our modern technology.
                  Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                    The food replicators don't look like 3D printers, only the industrial tool replicators. Which I like. Because 3D printers are our concern day solution to replicators I feel like it's a clear not towards what originally inspired our modern technology.

Industrial or not it does not make sense. We have seen that the replicators do replicate everything from them and are not only for liquid drinks or food so why they needed it to be with a door and why we need to see the mechanical parts of a 3D printer from it's inside when they still show that the medical tool was teleport in there.

Btw the Romulan little ship looked pretty much same size as the Rioz ship while when se wee the romulan in the ship it was like really small thing for like only one passanger or something

Comment

Originally posted by The_Carpenter View Post
                      Auntie Raffi's space pot red velvet cake XD
                      Good point.

Originally posted by The_Carpenter View Post
                      I presume she was trying to stop the Romulans from tracking them now why she thought killing herself would stop the chew-able tracking device from work I don't know? Best way to achieve that aim is to throw yourself out the airlock
                      I actually thought she would go with that option but they would probably have plucked her out space quicker than she could eject herself out.
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I really liked this episode, mostly for the parts with Picard, Riker and Troi on the planet. Loved Riker and Troi's daughter and the little friendship she developed with Soji. I actually loved everything on the planet. Everything else I wasn't too crazy about.

First Elnor, I found it a bit questionable that he'd stay behind on the Borg Cube at the end of last the last ep. His reasoning at the time being that he wanted to hold them off so Picard and Soji could get away, even though it took them all of a second to step through the gateway thing (I know it needed a little time to power down or whatever). I was mostly OK with him staying at the end of the last ep. But in this ep, other than the writers needing to have him stay on the Cube for plot reasons and so that he'd actually have something to do during the ep, I thought it was weird. He was supposed to be helping Picard, but then he suddenly decided that his help was needed more on the Cube when Rios said that they needed to leave. It was a very nice/noble thing to do, but it was just weird. I don't have a problem with him finding the Ranger SOS thing though.

I really wish that Hugh hadn't been killed. Even though he was in only a few eps of TNG, I've always liked the character.

I've been having major issues with Jurati for the past few eps. She should have been shown having more doubts and issues earlier in the season (like as soon as she joined up with Picard), but because the show was trying to hide that she was a spy, they had her act normal/ditzy, then she kills someone she cared for in a slow, horrible way with barely any hesitation (and it doesn't actually seem like she was asked to kill anyone), she didn't even try to convince Maddox that synths were bad or explain anything). She doesn't come across as a psycho (yet anyway), so why kill him like that (she was in an advanced sick bay, was there not a more humane way to kill someone?)? She could have tried reasoning with him first, explainig exactly what she was shown and why she felt the way she felt, but she didn't, she went straight to tearfully watching him die slowly. I'm assuming that the reason for not telling Maddox what she saw during the mind meld before she killed him was because the show wanted to withhold that info from the viewers until this episode, but that's just made Jurati a mess of a character imo.

Regarding how Jurati put herself into a coma. Maybe she wasn't actually trying to kill herself, but didn't care if that was the end result. Whatever she injected herself with could have been something that was meant to disable the tracking device inside of her.
                        sigpic

Comment

This was a tough one for me. It was great to see Will and Deanna again, meet their daughter, and hear a little bit about the last two decades of their lives (heartbreaking as it was). I agree that they really seem to be the same characters, only that much more seasoned by their life experiences. (I really would have loved even a tiny mention of the Titan, e.g. how long Will commanded her. There's a line about Thad having grown up on starships ... a perfect place to maybe mention that he was born on the Titan, at least.)

The loss of Hugh is rough, and honestly brings the episode down a notch in my eyes. The Borg were a big part of my love for TNG, and "I, Borg" is a big part of why I came to love the Borg. The reunion with Picard last episode was one of the most pure, beautiful moments of television I have seen in decades. But here he seemed to serve his story purpose, and now they are done with him. I'm not sure what story value that death has, other than making the Horrible Villain look even More Horrible.

As for Jurati: She saw no way out, was having second thoughts (no need to go after Soji, despite what she saw), and probably thought that if she came clean to Chris and Raffi that they might just space her. I suspect that she replicated something she knew could dissolve the tracker (the name sounds plausibly like an acid that could target metals -- "duranium hydroxide" or something), even if it might kill her in the process. Now at least she has a chance to live.

Rios was really being thick. I thought he was playing Agnes, trying to get her to fess up to what was (at least to the audience) plain as day on her face. And when she finally started to do so, he was called back to the bridge and didn't seem to have actually caught on to what she was beginning to confess.

A good episode, and a bit of a respite at the end of Act 2. I think Act 3 starts next week in what looks like a bonkers episode that will start to peel back who Commodore Oh is, where her allegiances lie, and why she is so convinced that the very existence of synths will spell doom for trillions of lives.
                          GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                          The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                          Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

As for the replicator, a couple of points:

(1) It is supposed to look like a transporter beam. It's been long-established that replicator technology and transporter technology are based on the same basic scientific breakthrough that energy and matter are interchangeable. The energy formation certainly doesn't have to look the same (and on TNG it didn't at all), but the science supports it.

(2) I would not expect a private pilot with his own ship-for-hire to have the same model of replicator from, say, a Galaxy-class starship. I kind of like that it looks like a fancy 3D printer, with some of the internal mechanism visible. I can picture Rios picking this up on the cheap at Space Walmart.
                            GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                            The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                            Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

That replicator makes sense only if it would be in TOS era. Galaxy class ships 30 years ago had the technology. Even DS9 station had better technology for replicators while it was old technology and federation only took over the station. Rios ship have hologram technology to operate the ship flight but replicators are old tech makes no sense. Especially as 30 years ago galaxy class ships were operated on touchscreen.

Even Romulans technology have devolved a lot. If they have a tracker then why must he fly in the edge of sensors range for Rios ship ? Even that why dont Narek ship have cloak technology ?
                              Technology advance a lot in war time and dont devolve. Dominion war should have evolved the technology a lot but it seems like it only devolved the technology.

I dont remember any older Star Trek series where Romulans ships were easy to detect by anyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X