X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet Another Gap Year

G’day,

Word on the street is - production on the next season of Doctor Who has not yet begun , and won’t til September, meaning it’s unlikely we’ll see the new season til late in 2021. IE 18 months or so til the next season.

My youngest kids have no Doctor.

Cheers

cosmic
    Last edited by cosmichobo; 15 February 2020, 09:46 PM.
    back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
    "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
    "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
    and lots more!

Maybe then we catch up here with the most recent season with 13...it is nasty to always be behind but I blame it on having to synchronize the show first...but if it really takes so long, I rally hope we'll have had the latest episodes there are currently on TV, too

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
      G’day,

Word on the street is - production on the next season of Doctor Who has not yet begun , and won’t til September, meaning it’s unlikely we’ll see the new season til late in 2021. IE 18 months or so til the next season.

My youngest kids have no Doctor.

Cheers

cosmic
      We don't have much of one now. What we have is a soapbox for Chibnall's political views.

Until such time as Chibnall is gone, I'd suggest having the kids watch the old shows.

Comment

Tomb of the Cybermen gets wheeled out (by the kids choice) fairly often, so - I can't complain. But, I do wish they could have their own Doctor...
        "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
        and lots more!

Comment

Really? To be blunt if Chibnall can't come up with a season a year then he has no business being show runner. (Especially given the quality or lack there of that his tenure has had)

Same goes for Jodi if she won't commit to the 1 season a year schedule then she should step aside and make room for someone who can.
          A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Originally posted by The_Carpenter View Post
            Really? To be blunt if Chibnall can't come up with a season a year then he has no business being show runner. (Especially given the quality or lack there of that his tenure has had)

Same goes for Jodi if she won't commit to the 1 season a year schedule then she should step aside and make room for someone who can.
            I guess the different production schedule has also to do with the new format. The new Who is filmed more cinematographicly than the previous ones which complicates things probably.
            Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
            Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
            There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Originally posted by tomstone View Post
              I guess the different production schedule has also to do with the new format. The new Who is filmed more cinematographicly than the previous ones which complicates things probably.
              I suspect the true reason is more the BBC's profit margin on the show than anything else.
              The audience has shown that they will accept short seasons with long hiatus periods, so why BBC spend money making more?

With that said, Chibnall is the worst showrunner I've seen since the resurrection in 2005 with the 9th doctor. He has to go.

I like Whittaker's Doctor, they can keep her, but I don't want to see Chibnall get another turn.

And BBC may give him the axe. According to https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/d...on-12-ratings/ , the ratings have slipped quite a bit this year from last year.
              Last edited by Annoyed; 16 February 2020, 09:35 AM.

Comment

I really hope there isn't another gap year..... a gap year is fine every few years... but not after every season... it helps loose viewers like the gap between series 11 and 12... look at the ratings... less then half have come back from last series

Comment

Originally posted by Sakura View Post
                  I really hope there isn't another gap year..... a gap year is fine every few years... but not after every season... it helps loose viewers like the gap between series 11 and 12... look at the ratings... less then half have come back from last series
                  The ratings drops may just as well be attributed to the preachy / soapbox aspect of this year.

Comment

First of all, Doctor Who has always been preachy... so please, step out of our safe zone and go back to watch everything that came before and come back to tell me I'm wrong (apart from 12 I have seen every episode, including the ones missing half of their visuals).

Second, the BBC allocates a budget to their shows which, I assume, is regulated by fiscal year. There was no budget allocated for Doctor Who in 2019 so no series in that year.

Third, the scripts for series 13 are already being written. According to information from Gallifrey One filming starts in September of 2020, and airing is scheduled for autumn 2021. We might not like it very much but that's how it is these days.

Fourth, Whittaker is very much committed to staying for more than a season since she was the one who mentioned in an interview she was more than happy to stay on for another series (number 3 in this case). Chibnall's vision is unknown to me but I have no problem with his showrunning -- except the bit where it's getting tiresome of having the "monster-of-the-week" in series 12.

Fifth, the ratings will be lower as before because -- newsflash -- people don't watch TV quite the same way as a decade ago. How many of you watch a show live these days? Or watch TV at all?

I don't watch live most of the time because I'm not home when Doctor Who airs on sunday evening, and Doctor Who is literally the only television show I actually watch on television. Everything else I watch is streamed on Netflix or (illegally) downloaded.

Besides -- here are the series 12 ratings and they are pretty steady.
                    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Here is a site that shows ratings for all 12 series in one list, would be great it someone graphed it.

S12 is the same as S10 in average viewers. S11 was higher because BBC promoted the "female doctor" heavily including radio. That brought new viewers that didn't stick around.

Update: 12.1 is higher than 10.1, and 12.6 is slightly lower than 10.6.
                      Last edited by EricG; 16 February 2020, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                        The ratings drops may just as well be attributed to the preachy / soapbox aspect of this year.
                        I'm pretty much caught up with the season now (just have to watch the newest ep), and I have to agree with Falcon Horus that overall, the show isn't any more preachy than it has been in years past. The only episode that stood out for me as going a bit too far with the preaching was Orphan 55, and that was mainly in the final minutes imo. I don't know if they were just trying to hammer home the episode's message for very young viewers with that one, but it was a bit much.

The year gap thing is annoying though, but that's how a lot of shows are now. I literally couldn't remember any of the companions names going into this season and struggled to remember anything that happened last season (some of that may have been due to the fact that I didn't really care for it, I think Jodie makes a really good Doctor, I just didn't really find any of the eps last season that interesting or engaging).
                        sigpic

Comment

My wife accused me tonight of not giving Jodie a fair go. My response to that is that I watched every episode of her first season (except the last; think I watched the opener and stopped). I watched Resolution, and I started watching this season. Like VampyreWraith, I struggled to remember the companion's names. Another 18 month gap?

The general population will be asking - Doctor who?
                          and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                            First of all, Doctor Who has always been preachy... so please, step out of our safe zone and go back to watch everything that came before and come back to tell me I'm wrong (apart from 12 I have seen every episode, including the ones missing half of their visuals).
                            I've watched many of the "old" episodes, and all since the 2005 reboot. At no time do I recall the show being as in your face about a political message as it is this season. When did the Doctor ever break the 4th wall and outright make a speech to the audience as was done in "Orphan55" ?

Maybe less noticeable to you, because you agree with the message. But it stands out like a sore thumb to me. And it's not as if I insist the messages in entertainment be ones that I agree with; if I did, I would have very little to watch; the media is overwhelmingly biased to the left. "Last Man Standing" is the only one I can think of off the top of my head that has a right-leaning message,

Second, the BBC allocates a budget to their shows which, I assume, is regulated by fiscal year. There was no budget allocated for Doctor Who in 2019 so no series in that year.

Third, the scripts for series 13 are already being written. According to information from Gallifrey One filming starts in September of 2020, and airing is scheduled for autumn 2021. We might not like it very much but that's how it is these days.
                            Only because the audience puts up with it. If audiences stop coming back, they will stop with the extended hiatus periods. If they don't run S13 till fall 2021, and the audience doesn't come back, that will hurt them in the wallet. And, considering Chibnall's handling of the show, S13 might be a good one to miss.

Fourth, Whittaker is very much committed to staying for more than a season since she was the one who mentioned in an interview she was more than happy to stay on for another series (number 3 in this case). Chibnall's vision is unknown to me but I have no problem with his showrunning -- except the bit where it's getting tiresome of having the "monster-of-the-week" in series 12.
                            I have no issue with Whittaker, I like her portrayal. But Chibnall has got to go. The sooner the better.

Fifth, the ratings will be lower as before because -- newsflash -- people don't watch TV quite the same way as a decade ago. How many of you watch a show live these days? Or watch TV at all?

I don't watch live most of the time because I'm not home when Doctor Who airs on sunday evening, and Doctor Who is literally the only television show I actually watch on television. Everything else I watch is streamed on Netflix or (illegally) downloaded.

Besides -- here are the series 12 ratings and they are pretty steady.
                            According to what I posted, it's audience dropped by more than 50% in one season. That's too big a drop to blame on changing habits.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
                              My wife accused me tonight of not giving Jodie a fair go. My response to that is that I watched every episode of her first season (except the last; think I watched the opener and stopped). I watched Resolution, and I started watching this season. Like VampyreWraith, I struggled to remember the companion's names. Another 18 month gap?

The general population will be asking - Doctor who?
                              LOL!!! Maybe *that* is part of the whole BBC psychology in programming and advertising for the "Doctor Who" series...?

I remember Tom Baker's (Doctor #4) years being interrupted from various filming or whatever strikes were going on. Back then, the seasons had more eps... now, the seasons are what? Down to about Six episodes?

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                              ... the media is overwhelmingly biased to the left. "Last Man Standing" is the only one I can think of off the top of my head that has a right-leaning message,

Only because the audience puts up with it. If audiences stop coming back, they will stop with the extended hiatus periods. If they don't run S13 till fall 2021, and the audience doesn't come back, that will hurt them in the wallet. And, considering Chibnall's handling of the show, S13 might be a good one to miss.
                              . . .
                              According to what I posted, it's audience dropped by more than 50% in one season. That's too big a drop to blame on changing habits.
                              I think based on older Doctor Who eps, the media has always pushed the boundary lines of what should be in this show or not. It vanished off the air for I think an entire decade, because of what? Dislike of the Doctor in general? BBC tried to replace DW with other shows, such as Tripods, and even that one got failed to see it's 3rd and final installment season. It didn't matter how much complaining was done by the viewing fan base, because the BBC catered to whomever they felt like. Money talks too... if it reaches the TPTB high enough. But then, there always seems to be some catch into keeping the program on the air... Make it "this way" or "that way" (fill in the blanks _____), or else take a hike elsewhere.

Anywho... as quirky as the series of Doctor Who was and is, it was my favorite sci-fi for reasons I won't explain. But when I heard about the series possibly ending or getting more politically winded, I stopped watching after the 50th Anniversary episode. I felt that episode was one of the absolute best ones, and wanted to keep a happy memory of the entire series. I don't even remember if I saw Matt's Doctor #11 turn into Doctor #12. I did see snippets of it on the internet, but probably not the whole storyline. It was too depressing for me to see the Doctor go down any darker paths, which is what was being hinted at... Plus, I realized I got too monstered out. Enough monsters in real life to deal with... yikes.

Comment

Working...
                              X