The Timeless Children (3810 / 1210)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bit more...

In Seasons 25 and 26 script editor Andrew Cartmel tried to bring back some "mystery" to the character of the Doctor. For instance, we see the Doctor use his finger to put someone to sleep, as if it's some magical ability. We had Lady Peinforte in Silver Nemesis, who claimed to know the Doctor's big dark secret. And more. But, something that producer JN-T cut was this from Remembrance of the Daleks:

Davros: In the end, you are merely another Time Lord.
    Doctor: Oh Davros, I am far more than just another Time Lord.

Even JN-T saw the need to cut this.

For me, what made the Doctor "special" was their belonging to this infinitely powerful race, and yet choosing to abandon that life, leave Gallifrey and explore the Universe, righting wrongs and being absolutely wonderful. There was no need for the Doctor to more than a Time Lord. It was this decision to leave the The Time Lords - the pinnacle of life in the Universe - that made the Doctor amazing.

Now instead, the Doctor is "special" because she is not even Gallifreyan.

I know, it's just a tv show... but, it isn't to me.
    Last edited by cosmichobo; 06 March 2020, 04:02 PM.
    back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
    "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
    "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
    and lots more!

Comment

People do realize that Chibnall has written for Doctor Who before, right -- i.e. Torchwood.

Besides -- series 13 is a go, and so far it's been confirmed that Bradley is leaving since he's been cast in a new ITV series.

There wouldn't even have been 12 regenerations if Hartnell had been a strappy, healthy young man. That too is a made up thing so why is it so hard to grasp anything else that expands on that notion.

Okay yeah... that means there are more female Doctors than just the two we met so far.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        People do realize that Chibnall has written for Doctor Who before, right -- i.e. Torchwood.
        What ever became of that show? Oh, yes, it was cancelled.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
          Besides -- series 13 is a go, and so far it's been confirmed that Bradley is leaving since he's been cast in a new ITV series.
          Oh, that's a bummer. He's my favourite companion at the moment!

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
            What ever became of that show? Oh, yes, it was cancelled.
            After what they did with whatever that last season was about... I have no issue with it. I'm not heartbroken about that cancellation. After Children of Earth, I really couldn't care less what happened to Torchwood.

The American take on it was not exactly a winner.

I wonder how you would feel about Chibnall's writing if you ever saw his other works, unrelated to Doctor Who or Torchwood -- like Broadchurch.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Every DW episode that Chibnall wrote before becoming Showrunner were average at best... Dinosaurs on a Spaceship for example... There was no shining light for me when he was announced as the upcoming showrunner.

If DC Comics ran a storyline in which it was revealed that Superman was in fact not from Krypton, and Jor-El and Lara were his foster parents - there'd be riots at Comic-Con.
              back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
              "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
              "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
              and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
                Every DW episode that Chibnall wrote before becoming Showrunner were average at best... Dinosaurs on a Spaceship for example... There was no shining light for me when he was announced as the upcoming showrunner.

If DC Comics ran a storyline in which it was revealed that Superman was in fact not from Krypton, and Jor-El and Lara were his foster parents - there'd be riots at Comic-Con.
                1: I hate Chibnall as much as the next guy, but I have to admit I liked "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship". When the villain killed one of the triceratops? just for the sake of killing it, you could just feel The Doctor freeze over. Right then it was clear that he would not allow that guy to live, and he hung him by his own petard.

2: You couldn't get me to accept that. But, sadly, there are a ton of folks who would lick it up like spilled milk.
                Last edited by Annoyed; 08 March 2020, 05:21 AM. Reason: added "not"

Comment

Working...
                X