Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post The Haunting of Villa Diodati (3808 / 1208)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO - SEASON 38 (12)
    THE HAUNTING OF VILLA DIODATI
    EPISODE NUMBER - 3808 / 1208
    The Doctor and her companions visit Lord Byron and Mary Shelley to hear a good ghost story in the middle of a thunderstorm in 1816, but find that the house where they are staying is full of haunted secrets.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; February 16th, 2020 at 08:10 PM.

Default Re: The Haunting of Villa Diodati (3808 / 1208)

Well, I was almost right...

One of the more enjoyable episodes and looking forward to the two part finale! (Although annoyingly I'm on holiday from next Saturday so might not be able to watch it live...)

I don't mean to be nasty but this was genuinely the first moment thus Doctor "grabbed" me and made me sit up straight.
    "You don't know half of it".
    Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
    (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

http://www.forumpedia.com/style_imag...ext3420557.gif

This was a great Episode, yet it was the first time I was lost in translation. Damnit I wasnt able to understand half of what they where saying.

So next week we are going to get the Finale then? This felt so freaking short and barely anything happend. I wonder how long Chibnall will stay like this. I would hope next Season is his last, because this is getting very boring.
    Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
    Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
    There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Quote Originally Posted by tomstone View Post
    This was a great Episode, yet it was the first time I was lost in translation. Damnit I wasnt able to understand half of what they where saying.

So next week we are going to get the Finale then? This felt so freaking short and barely anything happend. I wonder how long Chibnall will stay like this. I would hope next Season is his last, because this is getting very boring.
    Hey, if you're not going to get it anyway, why not wish big? I'd like to see Chibnall canned last week.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

Isn't there 2 episodes left?

Quote Originally Posted by Teddybrown View Post
    Isn't there 2 episodes left?
    Yes, a two-parter.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."

He Who Burns At The Center Of Time The_Carpenter's Avatar

Hopefully something meaningful happens, like losing a companion when was the last time a companion actually died? Donna came closest but even then not really. And there really are too many of them atm.
    A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Quote Originally Posted by The_Carpenter View Post
    Hopefully something meaningful happens, like losing a companion when was the last time a companion actually died? Donna came closest but even then not really. And there really are too many of them atm.
    Wasn't Bill Pots caught and turned into a Cyberman?
    I do agree, the Tardis is too crowded nowadays, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    Wasn't Bill Pots caught and turned into a Cyberman?
    I do agree, the Tardis is too crowded nowadays, though.
    She was, but then she was saved by and travelled with her alien puddle girlfriend IIRC
    A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Clara also died. Granted we don't know how long she was travelling for but sooner or later she would had to go back to the Raven.

Quote Originally Posted by P-90_177 View Post
    Clara also died. Granted we don't know how long she was travelling for but sooner or later she would had to go back to the Raven.
    Same as everyone, everyone dies at some point. By that logic you could say all the companions died. Anyway she was able to live for as long as she wanted to do so.

Same as everyone, everyone dies at some point. By that logic you could say all the companions died. Anyway she was able to live for as long as she wanted to do so.
    Yeah but she Still died as a direct result of travelling with the Doctor and could in no way have a normal life after that fact. The Doctor likewise also had to live through the pain of watching her die and had that knowledge that one day she would have to still go back to that.

Quote Originally Posted by P-90_177 View Post
    Yeah but she Still died as a direct result of travelling with the Doctor and could in no way have a normal life after that fact. The Doctor likewise also had to live through the pain of watching her die and had that knowledge that one day she would have to still go back to that.
    Yeah, looking at it from that viewpoint, I would call it death averted. Her current state is like all of us, we have to die one day but not yesterday or today. So she counts very much as alive and will be like that till she decides to end it. Its not a normal life, but I honestly dont see why she shouldnt be able to have one as well. She just should never visit a Doctor, might ring some alarmbells with having no pulse and all.
    Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
    Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald

Well, if you include the timey-whimey stuff, you can count Amy Pond and Rory as dead as a result of traveling with the Doctor as well. They also can be counted as having lived out "normal lives".

Crowded TARDIS -- LOL!!
    Where are the days of those other 3-4 companions running around that set...

Anywho... it is universally known that one parks their car further from where one has to be when it rains.

I have no doubt some companions or all of them will probably leave at the end of the season.

Tosin has been cast in an American series for 2 seasons at least.

Wishing death upon a character is just sad. Wanting people dead or canned... Stop watching if you don't like what you see -- 12 sucked so I quit the show. That's how you do that.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 8 of SG-1
    First time time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Crowded TARDIS -- LOL!!
    Where are the days of those other 3-4 companions running around that set...

Anywho... it is universally known that one parks their car further from where one has to be when it rains.

I have no doubt some companions or all of them will probably leave at the end of the season.

Tosin has been cast in an American series for 2 seasons at least.

Wishing death upon a character is just sad. Wanting people dead or canned... Stop watching if you don't like what you see -- 12 sucked so I quit the show. That's how you do that.
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't want anyone dead. Companions can choose to leave for other reasons; wanting a "normal life", or maybe some other career. Martha Jones stopped traveling with the Doctor and ended up with UNIT, for example.

But I do want Chibnall gone. The sooner the better. Maybe they can do something Timey-Whimey and get rid of him last week. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that opinion.

I like Doctor Who overall. I just don't like what Chibnall is doing with it. The sooner he is gone, the sooner it might get back to being something I like.

Hi, ho, hey ho, Chibnall has to go!

The last time a companion truly died (without some kind of resurrection) was Adric, in 1982. (Yes, he appeared in the next story as an apparition, but that was all.)

I have long been a bit annoyed that none of the modern era companions have died - truly died. The reason being - exactly why producer JN-T killed Adric - to remind the audience that travelling with the Doctor can have severe consequences, and to up the stakes.

Rose's (original) final episode started with her voice over saying "This is the day I died..." yet really it was crap as she was trapped in the alt dimension - where she ended up again a few seasons later, but with her new boyfriend.

Donna was forced to live as a lesser-self, so the woman that she became after travelling with the Doctor was "killed", which my wife always says was "worse than death"... but Donna lived.

Clara died, but was taken out of Time, and whilst it was said that she had to return to that moment of death (due to Time Lord protocol) - the implication very much was that she instead ran away from the Time Lords thanks to the Doctor, and was immortal, given she no longer had a heartbeat.

Bill of course was shot rather severely and turned into a Cyberman.... WHOA! But as noted, was resurrected into a possibly immortal puddle. (And on a side note - despite my bloodlust - I really liked the way this was done, presumably conceived from the outset.)

So - whilst there's been "deaths", none of them have really truly stayed dead.

I have to say I was incredibly, incredibly impressed by Chibnall's first 13th Doc story - killing off Grace. I did not expect it, and it was handled very well, and filled me with hope for this new era - feeling like it would give us a more "real" feel to the Whoniverse. Now imagine they do that to Graham, after 2 years of getting to know him; No doubt with him saving the universe or something, at the cost of his life. Chillingly beautiful...

Oh - and as for this episode... My wife walked out half way through - this is boring! she says. I however quite enjoyed it. Yes, it was a bit baffling at times, but as far as haunted houses go, I think it was possibly the best that WHO has ever done. And I've long enjoyed the bizarrity of Ghostlight!

I was wondering why they have kept pushing the fact that the season is building to the 2 part finale (many of the trailers have hilighted this) - now I feel it was to "hide" the fact that we would see the "Lone Cyberman" in this episode, and not have to wait for the final 2.
    Last edited by cosmichobo; February 20th, 2020 at 01:21 AM.
    as seen on YouTube - thecosmichobo
    "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
    "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
    and lots more!

Quote Originally Posted by cosmichobo View Post
    The last time a companion truly died (without some kind of resurrection) was Adric, in 1982. (Yes, he appeared in the next story as an apparition, but that was all.)

I have long been a bit annoyed that none of the modern era companions have died - truly died. The reason being - exactly why producer JN-T killed Adric - to remind the audience that travelling with the Doctor can have severe consequences, and to up the stakes.

Rose's (original) final episode started with her voice over saying "This is the day I died..." yet really it was crap as she was trapped in the alt dimension - where she ended up again a few seasons later, but with her new boyfriend.

Donna was forced to live as a lesser-self, so the woman that she became after travelling with the Doctor was "killed", which my wife always says was "worse than death"... but Donna lived.

Clara died, but was taken out of Time, and whilst it was said that she had to return to that moment of death (due to Time Lord protocol) - the implication very much was that she instead ran away from the Time Lords thanks to the Doctor, and was immortal, given she no longer had a heartbeat.

Bill of course was shot rather severely and turned into a Cyberman.... WHOA! But as noted, was resurrected into a possibly immortal puddle. (And on a side note - despite my bloodlust - I really liked the way this was done, presumably conceived from the outset.)

So - whilst there's been "deaths", none of them have really truly stayed dead.

I have to say I was incredibly, incredibly impressed by Chibnall's first 13th Doc story - killing off Grace. I did not expect it, and it was handled very well, and filled me with hope for this new era - feeling like it would give us a more "real" feel to the Whoniverse. Now imagine they do that to Graham, after 2 years of getting to know him; No doubt with him saving the universe or something, at the cost of his life. Chillingly beautiful...

Oh - and as for this episode... My wife walked out half way through - this is boring! she says. I however quite enjoyed it. Yes, it was a bit baffling at times, but as far as haunted houses go, I think it was possibly the best that WHO has ever done. And I've long enjoyed the bizarrity of Ghostlight!

I was wondering why they have kept pushing the fact that the season is building to the 2 part finale (many of the trailers have hilighted this) - now I feel it was to "hide" the fact that we would see the "Lone Cyberman" in this episode, and not have to wait for the final 2.
    You forgot Amy and Rory, being sent backwards to die, but still living out their lifes.

Also, as Haunted Houses go, its difficult to top that beginners Episode with the Angels of the David Tennant era. Anything involving them just has me at the edge of screaming.

On a rewatch another thing I need to just say: Frack, that speech of Jodies about her being in the stratosphere having to make the calls. Thanks, for the first time I believed her serious face and had Goosebumps.
    Last edited by tomstone; February 20th, 2020 at 01:27 PM.
    Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
    Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald

Quote Originally Posted by tomstone View Post
    Also, as Haunted Houses go, its difficult to top that beginners Episode with the Angels of the David Tennant era. Anything involving them just has me at the edge of screaming.
    Do you mean Blink, cause that's one episode you'll never see me watching alone in the dark... like ever. All the lights on and preferably a companion viewer there with me.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 8 of SG-1
    First time time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast