Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Haunting of Villa Diodati (3808 / 1208)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crowded TARDIS -- LOL!!
    Where are the days of those other 3-4 companions running around that set...

Anywho... it is universally known that one parks their car further from where one has to be when it rains.

I have no doubt some companions or all of them will probably leave at the end of the season.

Tosin has been cast in an American series for 2 seasons at least.

Wishing death upon a character is just sad. Wanting people dead or canned... Stop watching if you don't like what you see -- 12 sucked so I quit the show. That's how you do that.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      Crowded TARDIS -- LOL!!
      Where are the days of those other 3-4 companions running around that set...

Anywho... it is universally known that one parks their car further from where one has to be when it rains.

I have no doubt some companions or all of them will probably leave at the end of the season.

Tosin has been cast in an American series for 2 seasons at least.

Wishing death upon a character is just sad. Wanting people dead or canned... Stop watching if you don't like what you see -- 12 sucked so I quit the show. That's how you do that.
      I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't want anyone dead. Companions can choose to leave for other reasons; wanting a "normal life", or maybe some other career. Martha Jones stopped traveling with the Doctor and ended up with UNIT, for example.

But I do want Chibnall gone. The sooner the better. Maybe they can do something Timey-Whimey and get rid of him last week. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that opinion.

I like Doctor Who overall. I just don't like what Chibnall is doing with it. The sooner he is gone, the sooner it might get back to being something I like.

Hi, ho, hey ho, Chibnall has to go!

Comment

The last time a companion truly died (without some kind of resurrection) was Adric, in 1982. (Yes, he appeared in the next story as an apparition, but that was all.)

I have long been a bit annoyed that none of the modern era companions have died - truly died. The reason being - exactly why producer JN-T killed Adric - to remind the audience that travelling with the Doctor can have severe consequences, and to up the stakes.

Rose's (original) final episode started with her voice over saying "This is the day I died..." yet really it was crap as she was trapped in the alt dimension - where she ended up again a few seasons later, but with her new boyfriend.

Donna was forced to live as a lesser-self, so the woman that she became after travelling with the Doctor was "killed", which my wife always says was "worse than death"... but Donna lived.

Clara died, but was taken out of Time, and whilst it was said that she had to return to that moment of death (due to Time Lord protocol) - the implication very much was that she instead ran away from the Time Lords thanks to the Doctor, and was immortal, given she no longer had a heartbeat.

Bill of course was shot rather severely and turned into a Cyberman.... WHOA! But as noted, was resurrected into a possibly immortal puddle. (And on a side note - despite my bloodlust - I really liked the way this was done, presumably conceived from the outset.)

So - whilst there's been "deaths", none of them have really truly stayed dead.

I have to say I was incredibly, incredibly impressed by Chibnall's first 13th Doc story - killing off Grace. I did not expect it, and it was handled very well, and filled me with hope for this new era - feeling like it would give us a more "real" feel to the Whoniverse. Now imagine they do that to Graham, after 2 years of getting to know him; No doubt with him saving the universe or something, at the cost of his life. Chillingly beautiful...

Oh - and as for this episode... My wife walked out half way through - this is boring! she says. I however quite enjoyed it. Yes, it was a bit baffling at times, but as far as haunted houses go, I think it was possibly the best that WHO has ever done. And I've long enjoyed the bizarrity of Ghostlight!

I was wondering why they have kept pushing the fact that the season is building to the 2 part finale (many of the trailers have hilighted this) - now I feel it was to "hide" the fact that we would see the "Lone Cyberman" in this episode, and not have to wait for the final 2.
        Last edited by cosmichobo; 20 February 2020, 01:21 AM.
        back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
        "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
        "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
        and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
          The last time a companion truly died (without some kind of resurrection) was Adric, in 1982. (Yes, he appeared in the next story as an apparition, but that was all.)

I have long been a bit annoyed that none of the modern era companions have died - truly died. The reason being - exactly why producer JN-T killed Adric - to remind the audience that travelling with the Doctor can have severe consequences, and to up the stakes.

Rose's (original) final episode started with her voice over saying "This is the day I died..." yet really it was crap as she was trapped in the alt dimension - where she ended up again a few seasons later, but with her new boyfriend.

Donna was forced to live as a lesser-self, so the woman that she became after travelling with the Doctor was "killed", which my wife always says was "worse than death"... but Donna lived.

Clara died, but was taken out of Time, and whilst it was said that she had to return to that moment of death (due to Time Lord protocol) - the implication very much was that she instead ran away from the Time Lords thanks to the Doctor, and was immortal, given she no longer had a heartbeat.

Bill of course was shot rather severely and turned into a Cyberman.... WHOA! But as noted, was resurrected into a possibly immortal puddle. (And on a side note - despite my bloodlust - I really liked the way this was done, presumably conceived from the outset.)

So - whilst there's been "deaths", none of them have really truly stayed dead.

I have to say I was incredibly, incredibly impressed by Chibnall's first 13th Doc story - killing off Grace. I did not expect it, and it was handled very well, and filled me with hope for this new era - feeling like it would give us a more "real" feel to the Whoniverse. Now imagine they do that to Graham, after 2 years of getting to know him; No doubt with him saving the universe or something, at the cost of his life. Chillingly beautiful...

Oh - and as for this episode... My wife walked out half way through - this is boring! she says. I however quite enjoyed it. Yes, it was a bit baffling at times, but as far as haunted houses go, I think it was possibly the best that WHO has ever done. And I've long enjoyed the bizarrity of Ghostlight!

I was wondering why they have kept pushing the fact that the season is building to the 2 part finale (many of the trailers have hilighted this) - now I feel it was to "hide" the fact that we would see the "Lone Cyberman" in this episode, and not have to wait for the final 2.
          You forgot Amy and Rory, being sent backwards to die, but still living out their lifes.

Also, as Haunted Houses go, its difficult to top that beginners Episode with the Angels of the David Tennant era. Anything involving them just has me at the edge of screaming.

On a rewatch another thing I need to just say: Frack, that speech of Jodies about her being in the stratosphere having to make the calls. Thanks, for the first time I believed her serious face and had Goosebumps.
          Last edited by tomstone; 20 February 2020, 01:27 PM.
          Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
          Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
          There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Originally posted by tomstone View Post
            Also, as Haunted Houses go, its difficult to top that beginners Episode with the Angels of the David Tennant era. Anything involving them just has me at the edge of screaming.
            Do you mean Blink, cause that's one episode you'll never see me watching alone in the dark... like ever. All the lights on and preferably a companion viewer there with me.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

This episode was classic WHO. Misdirection, a fine speech, The companions wanting the Doctor to have all the answers and not being able to provide them. Standing on the shoulders of the previous doctors...
              It had it all
              Chibnall must not go, he must GROW and provide stories like this, and we have seen he can.

Annoyed, you need to watch more "classic WHO", you are making assumptions with no knowledge of classic Who.
              sigpic
              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                Do you mean Blink, cause that's one episode you'll never see me watching alone in the dark... like ever. All the lights on and preferably a companion viewer there with me.
                Yep, I meant Blink. Its difficult to top that.
                Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
                Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
                There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Working...
                X