• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absolute Candor (104)

Visit the Episode GuideSTAR TREK: PICARD - SEASON ONE
    ABSOLUTE CANDOR
    EPISODE NUMBER - 104
    Picard makes a detour to the planet Vashti, where he and Raffi settled a colony of refugees many years ago, and where he hopes to recruit a new ally. But the crew must tangle with a local warlord in order to escape the system in one piece.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 16 February 2020, 09:39 PM.

Picard is made to be a total scumbag who make promises and not keeping them or care about he's friends and so on. He didnt care about the women who lived in the desert Raffie or what ever she was called. Now we know that he had some Romulan kid who looked up to Picard and he left him in a planet and never visited him again or cared to take care of the promise to find a good home for the boy.

This blond women that should be some really smart person as a lead scientist of syndicates or what ever she was. She is STicar Tilly that everyone should like but dont show that she really is smart. Well i know smart people and they dont show out that they are dumb and you cant even read from body language that they are dumb. From her you can read from body language that she isnt smart.

And whats up with these universal translators they all had ? why they need still have different languages in the show where 2 Romulans are talking in there language and you need to read what they are talking about.
    Why spend money on writing new language for some dialog. Why not just spend it on better story telling.

And whats up with the ships in there ? When there was attack in Mars there were square shaped ships i have never seen before. Now in this episode i dont know what ship it was that was attacking there red paint job ship that looks something out of Mass Effect game. They said it was some really old relic ship but from design i dont know what it was as i have never seen something like that before. looked something similar what birds of pray looked like for Klinongs ships but not too. Even these Romulans ships in Borg cube didnt look anything that Romulans would have.

To be honest even that dont make any sense to have all ships built all over the Mars surface and none of them that were ready were not in orbit already and doing the job they were made for.
    sorry about my lack of language skills as it is not my daily language and have learned it by my self as not from any help of others or a school

Comment

SEVEN OF NINE -- *thunk*

Anywho...

Unlike Lopo, I think having alien languages spoken out loud is pretty cool and neat.

I am suspicious of the scientist because I think the Starfleet admiral did something to her when she visited her on Earth, before she went to see Picard.

She is hilarious though and I hope to be proven wrong, that she isn't secretly a spy.

Captain of the ship with his many holograms --

Also, totally in love with the opening credits and the soundtrack.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Romulan women warriors fared by Dal Shiar the best fighters Picard ever have seen.
        Kind of feels like same as from DC Comics as Amazon warriors.
        sorry about my lack of language skills as it is not my daily language and have learned it by my self as not from any help of others or a school

Comment

Originally posted by lopo30 View Post
          Picard is made to be a total scumbag who make promises and not keeping them or care about he's friends and so on. He didnt care about the women who lived in the desert Raffie or what ever she was called. Now we know that he had some Romulan kid who looked up to Picard and he left him in a planet and never visited him again or cared to take care of the promise to find a good home for the boy.
          Picard has never been all that great at dealing with his own failure. Certainly when he feels he's failed someone his first reaction is for him to keep his distance. When he fails he considers it a personal shame. When he fails a person it's as though he feels like he is no longer worthy of them and he will cause them more hurt to be around them.

This blond women that should be some really smart person as a lead scientist of syndicates or what ever she was. She is ST: Picard Tilly that everyone should like but don't show that she really is smart. Well i know smart people and they don't show out that they are dumb and you cant even read from body language that they are dumb. From her you can read from body language that she isn't smart.
          That's not entirely true. It's a matter of experience. When Picard first met her at the Daystom institute she was very knowledgeable and clearly in control. He body language was very confident. But she was speaking to Picard about a subject which was her specialty in a place she felt comfortable. Out in space Dr. Juratti is out of her depth, and she more or less tells Rios at the start of the episode that she's bored and has nothing to do. She knows everything there is to know about synths and androids, but Romulan refugees? Tal Shiar agents? She's completely out of her depth.

And whats up with these universal translators they all had ? why they need still have different languages in the show where 2 Romulans are talking in there language and you need to read what they are talking about.
          Why spend money on writing new language for some dialog. Why not just spend it on better story telling.
          It adds depth. I mean we can assume that Rizzo and Narek are speaking Romulan to each other when they're talking on the Borg cube near the end. But on the refugee planet it's set up to highlight the fact that Picard is putting the effort in to speak Romulan instead of relying on the universal translator, which would be a sign of respect. It's also worth noting that when we hear Romulan in the show it appears to be more from the side of the Romulan civilians, basically displaying a side of their lost culture. Whereas we hear the Tal Shiar agents speak English.

And whats up with the ships in there ? When there was attack in Mars there were square shaped ships i have never seen before. Now in this episode i dont know what ship it was that was attacking there red paint job ship that looks something out of Mass Effect game. They said it was some really old relic ship but from design i dont know what it was as i have never seen something like that before. looked something similar what birds of pray looked like for Klinongs ships but not too. Even these Romulans ships in Borg cube didnt look anything that Romulans would have.
          It was a Romulan Bird of Prey. It's a classic design from The Original Series. So in effect it's possibly the most Romulan design you've seen.

To be honest even that dont make any sense to have all ships built all over the Mars surface and none of them that were ready were not in orbit already and doing the job they were made for.
          You mean when we saw the attack in the previous episodes? I mean we see Picard's relief Armada in orbit already constructed. Utopia Planitia is a starship construction facility on Mars but Mars isn't 100% dedicated to ship building. It's a big planet.
          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Good episode for the most part. I did find the swords the Romulans were carrying to be a little overly convenient though. I mean... They just happened to be Rapiers... Which as a fencer would be Picard's specialty. Even the hilts looked far too Earth like for my liking.
            Elnor seems interesting enough, though I need to see a little more of him to give a proper opinion. As a concept he is quite unique in Star Trek though. I can't think of another specific instance of the whole Warrior Monk thing in Trek off the top of my head.
            Loved seeing the old style Bird of Prey again. And as a player of Star Trek Online it felt like a very cool double reference.

Hard to really give much more on this one. Still more set up and more insight into Picard's mindset. It is good to see what has become of some of the Romulans but as I said, I play Star Trek Online so the revelations in regards to their condition and bitterness didn't really come across as much of a revelation to me.

Comment

Is it just me, or is the series turning into The Magnificent Seven in SPAAACE!

Or maybe The A-Team in SPAAAACE!
              sigpic
              Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
              To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
              And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                Is it just me, or is the series turning into The Magnificent Seven in SPAAACE!

Or maybe The A-Team in SPAAAACE!
                Interesting analogy. It kinda works though. TOS was Wagon Train. DS9 was Gun Smoke. Star Trek could do worse than to look back at classic western for inspiration again considering how well they've served in the past.

Comment

There's also elements of the webseries Renegades - which used to be Star Trek: Renegades until CBS got their knickers in a knot over fan films.

The whole "rag-tag bunch of misfits come together to save the universe".

Maybe a little bit of Mission: Impossible in there as well? Each member of the team having a particular skill that helps to complete the mission.
                  sigpic
                  Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                    SEVEN OF NINE -- *thunk*

Anywho...

Unlike Lopo, I think having alien languages spoken out loud is pretty cool and neat.

I am suspicious of the scientist because I think the Starfleet admiral did something to her when she visited her on Earth, before she went to see Picard.

She is hilarious though and I hope to be proven wrong, that she isn't secretly a spy.

Captain of the ship with his many holograms --

Also, totally in love with the opening credits and the soundtrack.
                    Yes, I was thinking the same thing last episode, I just couldn't tell if I was meant to be thinking that or if it was because of what I felt was a very a disjointed/awkwardly edited episode. I also hope she doesn't turn out to be a spy, but if she is one, I hope she has a good reason for being one.

I'm in love with this show though lol. I love most of the crew so far, I'm not sure about dark-haired Legolas yet (I'm sorry, that's all I see when he's on the screen, he probably needs to get a haircut in order for me to stop seeing that), but it was just his first episode. I loved the crew interaction before Picard got down on the planet. And yay, Seven! She's one of my favorite Trek characters (Like top 3, right after Picard and Spock), and I'm so glad to see her on this show.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lopo30 View Post

I wonder if the fact that they aren't Starfleet has anything to do with it. They are just a group of concerned Federation citizens galavanting about the galaxy, not deep space explorers representing the Federation.
                      By Nolamom
                      sigpic

Comment

The man from Del Monte, he say "Engage!".
                        sigpic

Comment

Just an idle thought, but if the series were to return to Starfleet HQ for whatever reason, I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of Klingon and/or Ferengi officers walk by in the background.

Or perhaps a namecheck for Captain Nog.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X