Bill McCay's Stargate Novels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bill McCay's Stargate Novels

I'm revisiting Bill McCay's Stargate novels for the first time in a while. I read them through a few times about 10+ years back. I'm a sucker for alternate takes on things so I've always really enjoyed the experience of reading these. I'm about a third of the way through the first book, Rebellion.

Any other fans on GateWorld?
    sigpic
    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Where do we find Bill McCay's books?

Comment

I got my copies from eBay.
      sigpic

Comment

It is worth of reading them as Dean Devlin has stated at 1:06:10 tha he considers them as 100% canon in the last Dial the Gate interview.
        https://youtu.be/V0nvUbs25KI
        I haven't read yet. Are they worth of reading them? As long as I treat them as an alternate universe (like Stargate : Infinity), maybe they can be enjoyable for the BW canon fans too.
        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Dean Devlin considers SG1 to be non-canon
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
            It is worth of reading them as Dean Devlin has stated at 1:06:10 tha he considers them as 100% canon in the last Dial the Gate interview.
            https://youtu.be/V0nvUbs25KI
            I haven't read yet. Are they worth of reading them? As long as I treat them as an alternate universe (like Stargate : Infinity), maybe they can be enjoyable for the BW canon fans too.
            I've always treated them as a separate AU personally. Fortunately that's a thing within Stargate so it's just an easy out. In terms of quality, I enjoy them. They're not high literature or anything, and I do think the handling of race is sometimes a little iffy but race relations are a part of the series early on. Worth a read if you're interested and opened minded to other possibilities.
            sigpic

Comment

I am aware of that these novels should be treated as an alternate universe. I have just studied these descriptions of the novels :
              https://www.gateworld.net/books/movies/
              You can roughly read the story of the 5 books which are focusing on Egytian culture on Earth.

I was pretty sure there was a novel or a comic about the Mayan culture, but maybe that was an SG-1 novel. City of the gods?
              https://www.gateworld.net/books/city-of-the-gods/
              Just I remember I have seen it visually on a website. Maybe it was a comic or I confuse myself with the Stargate : Infinity.

The other reason I was interested how these McCay could be adapted into the TV canon. I doubt it would be successfull as it is so different. So whatever Dean Devlin woukd pitch to MGM next year, I believe it should be adapted into the existing tv rules and setting.

Bonus question. Was Rodney's character named after this writer as an inside joke?
              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I believe it was this "Doomsday" movie comic which was dealing really poorly with the Mayan Stargate.
                https://www.gateworld.net/comics/movies/

Comment

Working...
                X