Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would the US Space Force factor into a future Stargate series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would the US Space Force factor into a future Stargate series?

As the topic asks. I'm wondering that it could be pretty awkward to keep the Stargate Command under/led by the airforce. The US Space Force could become the new 'host' to the Stargate Program or if the series goes a more international route and expands upon the IOA/International precence, then the US Space Force should have a role. Wondering what such a hypothetical relation might look like.

Btw, they just ripped off the Star Trek logo, Would be funny if SGC personnel started wearing 'Star Trek' patches etc. xD
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Space_Force

I guess the SGC would have to be under command of the new Space Force then and not anymore the normal military. If that however would go along with just seeking allies and new cultures I do not know

Comment

It depends how you imagine the future of Stargate on Earth.

1. If the gate program is revealed then maybe new scientist team could join and help the SGC. I always wanted to see an episode where they would visit Mars or any other objects in our solar system by tel'tacs or any other vessel, so they could support the NASA. But it would be interesting story wise if the plot would be connected to it somehow (like ruins, crashed vehicles, alien race messages etc.)

2. I always wanted to see a scenario when the President is not a fan of SGC and he closes down the Program. Since President Hayes was the fictional president in 2004 (and in Continuum in 2008), so he must have given his office to the next one in 2012.

3. If they announce the program then how would the civil era respond? Protest at the entrance of the Cheyenne Mountain? Would Athene use this chaos? Would China or any Scandinavian country or any other nation search for their brothers and sisters in the Milky Way? Would alien conspiracy theories spread if the people would know how many other human populated planets are out of there? Would they start relic hunting / searching on Earth? What about alien artifacts black market with the Lucian Alliance?

4. What would happen if the basic principle would fail at the SGC? You know the mantra "we don't leave our people behind". But if it is necessarry because of diplomatic reasons? What if the Lucian Alliance is kidnapping people? How can Earth defend itself without or without the censors of Atlantis?? Who would guard which nation can build spaceships now as the Asgard has gone? Who would guard their legacy?

5. Would the Stargate be used for dodgy reasons too? They wanted to introduce an offworld prison in Stargate : Worlds, so that step could fit into a darker leadership era.
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Any show that follows the continuity of Sg-1 is set in a universe that branched off from the real world years ago, so they're not beholden to real world events. It's also not necessarily even logical for real world events to be replicated in the Stargate universe since Stargate has established changes that have far reaching effects, like who is or is not president at a given time.

The Space Force also lacks the budget necessary to hide the Stargate program given its size, scope, and the billions of dollars it spends a year. That money can be "disappeared" into the Air Force, which already pours a decent percentage of its budget into secret programs and can easily lose more money by overstating the cost of aircraft, equipment, etc. On the other hand, it would be extremely suspicious if a branch that doesn't have the money to operate independently (it relies on Air Force personnel, facilities, and equipment since only $40 million was allocated to it), suddenly had an influx of funding and personnel that went unaccounted for. It would be fairly impossible, though, to get Stargate program funding reallocated to the Space Force since Congress has to approve its budget and the majority of congressman do not know the Stargate program exists.

The Stargate program could be moved under the Space Force banner in name only, while the Air Force still staffs, run, and funds it, but that would be fairly pointless as nobody in the larger world would know that this happened. Of course, if the Stargate became public knowledge, that would be another matter entirely. In that case, it being placed in a military branch separate from the Air Force and getting a significant boost in funding makes sense.
        Last edited by Xaeden; 17 April 2020, 05:45 PM.

Comment

If I recall an SG-1 episode, I believe it's General Hammond who states something like that it costs a fortune just to get the lights going in the SGC. While it would make sense that a military branch seaprate from the Air Force takes over the the Stargate program after it goes public, I don't think that would be a good idea to even consider.

Consdering the program has alrady gone beyond the problems in our own Galaxy and expanded to Pegasus and a bunch of other Galaxies even during SG-1, I think it'd be wiser to keep the same military branch to run it. Not only it's the perfect cover-up since the Air Force looses stuff for various and all kinds of reasons in all kinds of different situations, but there are certain people in the Air Force branch that runs the SG program who make sure that at least some of our favorite characters are probably still out there fighting or helping other SG teams fight or are just moral/tech/science supporters. Plus is there are SG team members from different SG teams that broke the rule of not being involved in a relationship with someone from their own team but those members are highly valuable for the SGC, I bet someone in high places is covering for those SG team members. Not to mention that the SG teams we know have also broken a bunch of other rules while on SG missions.

The Stargate program needs to be run by people who know what they're doing. Missions have to be done by people that WILL KNOW what they're doing BECAUSE of being chosen by the people who know what they're doing and what they have been doing in the past.

I say keep the SG program under the same roof, have Carter, McKay and Eli & Rush figure out how to expand the SGC gateroom so it can hold all three types of Stargates (Milky Way type, Pegasus type and Destiny-type) and send SG teams to various destinations for further space exploration purposes. Piss off the IOA to the extreme because no-one of our gyus who start training new recruits gives a damn about them anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Mnikolic View Post
            The Stargate program needs to be run by people who know what they're doing. Missions have to be done by people that WILL KNOW what they're doing BECAUSE of being chosen by the people who know what they're doing and what they have been doing in the past.
            I agree with you on your first point regarding funding, but the personnel thing wouldn't be an issue. The Space Force is essentially a program that the Air Force has been operating for years, which is now under a new label. For that to work, they're simply transferring the Air Force personnel with existing experience to the Space Force. They'd do the same with the people who work in the Stargate program, so they wouldn't lose people.

I say keep the SG program under the same roof, have Carter, McKay and Eli & Rush figure out how to expand the SGC gateroom so it can hold all three types of Stargates (Milky Way type, Pegasus type and Destiny-type) and send SG teams to various destinations for further space exploration purposes. Piss off the IOA to the extreme because no-one of our gyus who start training new recruits gives a damn about them anyway.
            Why three gates? Any one gate can dial all three types and there's no way anyone is going to figure out how to make three operate concurrently, so I don't see the purpose other than it would look cool to see them together in one room.

Comment

All joking aside: Basically, it would have been done for someone in a high position who is after a bigger paycheck if they manage to close the program. But it's our guys who get the better paychecks instead upon somehow succeeding and SGC remaining operational because it is porven that the three types of gates can not run concurrently. Plus something really terrible happens on the side which our guys use to shine for like a billionth time.

Comment

I still believe a new Stargate show should focus on gate related adventures and technologies. We could havee built easily 5-10-15 x304 ships in the last 10-15 years and this space armada could be commanded by Space Force, but then what? Where is the role of IOA or Homeworld Security? Would they share more ships with China and Russia? And how can you envolve such huge ships into future Stargate stories? Invasion fleet from an even newer galaxy? Big space battles again? It would be okay, but I believe the writers should return to gates as first contact, exploration, saving the day scenarios have worked much better. This franchise is StarGate not StarTrek or StarWars. The last few seasons have turned into a last minute beaming and shield building competition then even the season budget was spent on 1-2 "big" space battle episode. So don't misunerstand it, we need spaceships, it can help the storytelling, but the SG franchise is about the gate systems. If Atlantis has been on Earth for a while then maybe have built more different jumper type ships in Area51 as replacement and also a smaller sized defense fleet. Earth is currently undefended, so any alien can visit us by ships....
                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Well I personally hope for 2-3 concurrent series, So I could se one being about gate exploration, one about space and ships etc. One about Thr Free Jaffa Nation etc. but in a setting that is Earth based I think you would at minimum have to tie in The Space Force somehow, maybe have the space force as a coordination body between diffenrent countries own space forces with the IOA controlling the Budget of the Spaceforce while otherwise being under US command/lead. Also Atlantis landed on Earth, so that could also be thrown into it, where it would be free from US Space force. The IOA could be developed into a NATO type organization, where you have integrated command systems etc. While maybe the US doesn't fund all the budget but enough to give it more levarage over the gate.

Comment

Building Puddle Jumper-type of spaceships would highly benefit the Stargate program. We've seen that copying the Ancient tech is no problem. I'm imagining a Hammond-level ship that is especially modified to transport Puddle Jumpers from SG base A to SG Base B or just supply SG teams on missions with them, thus eliminating the need of that SG team going to, let's say, Atlantis, get the Jumper and then leave again. It'd be a major time saver.

Plus the Hammomd-level ship's systems would be fully intergrated with the Puddle Jumper systems, which could lead in Earth-made Stargates capable of transportation of bigger ships as necessary (not Supergates). It would benefit the space exploration as well as planet exploration purposes. Going even a step further would be creating jumpers that are made for a specific use only. There could be dedicated jumpers for exploration, dedicated jumpers for aiding the bigger ships or SG teams on planets in battle, maybe even jumpers that have only certain features available on them because of XYZ reason for special purposes.

Not only that the space exploration would highly benefit from all of that, but also, it could also lead Earch to finally creating its own universal gate system(s). Which could mean no more need for ZPMs or Icarus-type planets.

Comment

Originally posted by Mnikolic View Post
                      We've seen that copying the Ancient tech is no problem.
                      When did we see that? Earth has never successfully recreated ancient technology from scratch on its own. For the entire run of Atlantis there was a constant stream of posts from people asking why Earth couldn't just build more X (ZPMs, jumpers, drones, etc.) now that they have access to the Ancient database (the short answer is that the science is too advanced for them to understand), so it was jarring for me to see someone suddenly say that's something that we've seen happen.

I'm imagining a Hammond-level ship that is especially modified to transport Puddle Jumpers from SG base A to SG Base B or just supply SG teams on missions with them, thus eliminating the need of that SG team going to, let's say, Atlantis, get the Jumper and then leave again. It'd be a major time saver.
                      I'd recommend installing a Stargate inside a 304's hanger instead. To prevent it from potentially acting as a backdoor into the ship or causing some other problem, they could place it along a track that moves it a few feet forward and then back. On the wall they can build a circular block that the Stargate fits over, essentially acting like a cover stone so nobody can dial in. With the push of a button it can then easily be moved along the track so that it would be positioned to enable Atlantis or another base to dial in with jumpers in a pinch. If the default is to keep the gate "buried" and its only moved forward immediately after sending a subspace communication requesting backup, it's unlikely that a third party will use it to get a foothold on the ship. Add an iris or a shield for the brief period where dialing in is possible and it'll be a very low risk setup.

Imagine if 20 jumpers could simply appear in the hanger bay of any 304 within seconds. They wouldn't even have to leave the protection of the 304's shield. They could simply fire all their drones in unison and take out practically any enemy ship. That would have been a big game changer before Asgard beams were installed on 304s, but even so they could lose power to weapons, be up against overwhelming numbers, etc. There are a lot of reasons why that kind of emergency firepower would be helpful and since Earth hasn't yet managed to build its own gateship, jumpers are extremely valuable, so being able to send them from one ship to another at a moment's notice would be quite beneficial.

Plus the Hammomd-level ship's systems would be fully intergrated with the Puddle Jumper systems, which could lead in Earth-made Stargates capable of transportation of bigger ships as necessary (not Supergates).
                      Unless they recover a seed ship I don't see Earth being able to build their own Stargate in the near future.

Not only that the space exploration would highly benefit from all of that, but also, it could also lead Earch to finally creating its own universal gate system(s). Which could mean no more need for ZPMs or Icarus-type planets.
                      I don't understand why Earth being able to build their own gates means they wouldn't also need tremendous amounts of power to dial long distant Stargates. Sure, for the nearby galaxies they could build a bunch of gate bridges, but they can't build a gate bridge to the Destiny because it's too far away. Could you elaborate on this point some?
                      Last edited by Xaeden; 30 January 2020, 05:39 PM.

Comment

I really loved the stargate within the x304 idea to call mobile jumper army.

I am sorry that I always return this brainstorming thread, but I have imagined a few gate system upgrade here :
                        https://forum.gateworld.net/threads/...galaxy-in-2020
                        But here is a little gate related summary :

There are 5 different types of stargate by size : 1. Orlin's mini gate, 2. normal stargate, 3. medium stargate, 4. beachhead gate, 5. Ori supergate
                        Beachhead gate was smaller than the Ori supergate as the elements could fly through the wormhole, while the supergate was even bigger in comparsion to Carter in Camelot (maybe it was a scale error)

New gate systems / new gate functions are discovered if they want to introduce new galaxies :
                        1. stargate drive : a new alien, roughly tel'tac sized vessel which uses stargates as "drive". Instead of flying into the wormhole, it has got a stargate on the board. The vessel is capable of changing into transphase, wrap itself, enter the wormhole, then reopen itself and materialize back itself. The hangar can be left behind with the gate, so the first part is capable flying by its own. But what if this technilogy falls into wrong hands? Imagine an army of ships as they are just "spawning" around a spacegate.
                        2. medium stargate : an advanced gate technology from the Ori galaxy - the stargate itself can fall into 9 pieces and increase its own size in space - so al'kesh sized ships can fly through
                        3. rune gate : the Asgard/Vanir gate system, which use the combination of beaming technology and stargate. It is capable of teleporting items, living materials in front of the stargate to the other side. It is similar how Thor's hammer worked and Merlin secret gate network was also used this upgrade in Milky Way. So the stargate would play a similar role like the pylons for the Protoss in StarCraft. They can beam later into distance from gate etc.
                        4. there would local "mastergates" which gain priority above a local group stargates (like stargate on the same planet)
                        5. the 9th chevron was meant to reach the Hub as an emergency option. This Hub would be able to see all stargate activity within a certain range, so the "shells" (supergate drive vehicles) can fix different problems. Then later we would find out why this Hub was moved / stolen from the Milky Way and what role it has played in history
                        6. Nox could cloak stargates in the Milky Way
                        7. the Oannes have managed to overwrite some MW gate protocol to flood worlds through the stargate
                        8. Furlings - alternate reality travel through the stargate (Stonehenge)
                        9. any other new race with new stargate functions (like seeder ship is captured, betrayed allies of the Ancients)

And so many new storylines could be based on these deas as there would be gate protocol upgrades and gate related problems. It could be placed in MW or in any new galaxies, so whatever the writers choose. Just it would be fun to see how these elements show up in the Milky Way, so basically our galaxy would be a battle zone again. But anyway I am just a fan and professional writers will never read or accept fan ideas.

Comment

Or just imagine those sphere type devices from Jurassic World as such new jumpers could roll through the stargates....

I also imagined a few DHD related situation as well. My favorite is a genie type character who lives in the DHD chrystals, but he can project himself/herself in any form who touched it. He could also play a "living malp" role in a future SG show.

Comment

But back to the Space Force in Stargate. Since we have got the Asgard database they could rebuild / upgrade the SGC and even the X304.
                            - new jumpers bay in SGC / Moon base
                            - new satellite weapons similar to Ancient weapon platform around Earth
                            - new X306 ships
                            - Asgard scanners, antigravity safety, extra energy shields in gate room

I really liked the concept how vehicles have gone through the gate and these ideas already showed up early in the lore in the SG-1 "Into the fire" and "Watergate" episodes which were years ago before the Atlantis show. Who knows? Maybe the Jaffas will start to build more. The Lucian Alliance can find some Asgard tech too on ruins. New races can join the game for power.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
                              When did we see that? Earth has never successfully recreated ancient technology from scratch on its own. For the entire run of Atlantis there was a constant stream of posts from people asking why Earth couldn't just build more X (ZPMs, jumpers, drones, etc.) now that they have access to the Ancient database (the short answer is that the science is too advanced for them to understand), so it was jarring for me to see someone suddenly say that's something that we've seen happen.
                              My bad, I confused the Asgard tech with the Ancient tech. But now that the Destiny crew has probably been back for a while now and Earth now probably has means other than an Icarus-based planet to dial up the 9th chevron, I imagine that the IOA must have since long-time requested for the SGC's best scientists to focus on re-creating any piece of ancient tech found/encountered in Milky Way, Atlantis, Destiny and any other ancient tech in other Galaxies we've seen in the three shows. After all, the 9th chevron is the Stargate's final chevron so I don't think the IOA would miss their chance of giving such orders with the President having no other choice but to side with them before something even bigger and greater comes along.

I'd recommend installing a Stargate inside a 304's hanger instead. To prevent it from potentially acting as a backdoor into the ship or causing some other problem, they could place it along a track that moves it a few feet forward and then back. On the wall they can build a circular block that the Stargate fits over, essentially acting like a cover stone so nobody can dial in. With the push of a button it can then easily be moved along the track so that it would be positioned to enable Atlantis or another base to dial in with jumpers in a pinch. If the default is to keep the gate "buried" and its only moved forward immediately after sending a subspace communication requesting backup, it's unlikely that a third party will use it to get a foothold on the ship. Add an iris or a shield for the brief period where dialing in is possible and it'll be a very low risk setup.

Imagine if 20 jumpers could simply appear in the hanger bay of any 304 within seconds. They wouldn't even have to leave the protection of the 304's shield. They could simply fire all their drones in unison and take out practically any enemy ship. That would have been a big game changer before Asgard beams were installed on 304s, but even so they could lose power to weapons, be up against overwhelming numbers, etc. There are a lot of reasons why that kind of emergency firepower would be helpful and since Earth hasn't yet managed to build its own gateship, jumpers are extremely valuable, so being able to send them from one ship to another at a moment's notice would be quite beneficial.
                              That could work, but what if no 304's are available because of some XYZ reason? Nonetheless, I like your installing a Stargate in its hangar anyway. Maybe they could do both options, for "just in case" scenario.

Unless they recover a seed ship I don't see Earth being able to build their own Stargate in the near future.
                              Maybe they did, it's just that we didn't see it. That and something really tells me that a seed ship is/was also needed to fix Destiny and return it to its full potential. I think it's highly possible that it's exactly what happened.

I don't understand why Earth being able to build their own gates means they wouldn't also need tremendous amounts of power to dial long distant Stargates. Sure, for the nearby galaxies they could build a bunch of gate bridges, but they can't build a gate bridge to the Destiny because it's too far away. Could you elaborate on this point some?
                              It was no problem for the Wraith to highjack one of those gate bridges. Now who's to say the same wouldn't happen with new enemies who use advanced tech and rely on advanced sceince? They just need to make some impovements to their systems and game over. Earth needs direct conncetions to the nearby Galaxies and planets. It's better to build a space station/base with a space gate that has an Iris/sheild installed on it in its area. Equip the station with Puddle Jumpers and 304's. Maybe even have an Asgard tech-based spaceship keeping watch on the base. It's a far better solution for going, let's say - from SGC to Atlantis and returning and it's far more secure. Futhermore, equip the base with a forcesheild that could be activated at a moment's notice, whenever needed.

As for dialing long distant Stargates - yes, Earth would need a massive power source to make it happen. Another Icarus base on another Icarus-based planet prooved to be too expensive project and the Langara mission in SGU was attempted and ended up in failure. So the only real option is for Earth to come up with its own power source that's strong enough to enable for dialing long distant Stargates. I'm thinking a similar (but not exactly the same) or perhaps completely different power core/device which eventually ended in McKay blowing up that solar system. All SGC needs to do is to locate it (which, knowing the Anceints, should exist somewhere in the universe for some wired reason), bring a team of scientists to get it under control (of course telling and making McKay stay put and just watch for safety reasons) and then use it to dial long distant Stargates with usage of Earth-made ones.
                              Last edited by Mnikolic; 31 January 2020, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X