Space Force logo bears uncanny resemblance to 'Star Trek' insignia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Space Force logo bears uncanny resemblance to 'Star Trek' insignia

Mods: If this is over the line, delete as needed. But I thought it might be interesting to Trek fans

Space Force logo tweeted by Trump bears uncanny resemblance to 'Star Trek' insignia

Myself, I think the copyright holders have a legitimate infringement case here. I wonder how that will play out against the federal govt.

Life imitating art imitating life imitating...

I always love seeing the Space Shuttle Enterprise in the opening titles of ST:E... the shuttle named because of the TV series in which it has now become part of the established history of the lineage of vehicles bearing the name Enterprise...

Ultimately I don't think it would be a good thing for the Star Trek owners to haul the US government over the coals because of this flagrant case of copyright infringement. Rather, I think if anything, they should use it for publicity. We should have an episode of Discovery featuring the Space Corps... which the US gov can heavily subsidise any special needs they may have for "men in boots" or vehicles etc...

But yes, the President's vision for the future of the military in space has become a laughing stock, with the tree-based camo uniforms, and now this... (even if the camo has perfect logic behind it - cost savings - they should have had a dress uniform that was unveiled as something more "space", and then use the camo as every day wear... or something)
    back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
    "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
    "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
    and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
      Life imitating art imitating life imitating...

I always love seeing the Space Shuttle Enterprise in the opening titles of ST:E... the shuttle named because of the TV series in which it has now become part of the established history of the lineage of vehicles bearing the name Enterprise...
      I've always liked the opening for ST:E. That's what Trek is about, mankind growing, climbing the long ladder.

Ultimately I don't think it would be a good thing for the Star Trek owners to haul the US government over the coals because of this flagrant case of copyright infringement. Rather, I think if anything, they should use it for publicity. We should have an episode of Discovery featuring the Space Corps... which the US gov can heavily subsidise any special needs they may have for "men in boots" or vehicles etc...
      Oh, I don't think so either, take it as a complement that your property has had such a huge impact on our society. But with the number of greedy lawyers in this place, you *know* this is headed to the courts.

But yes, the President's vision for the future of the military in space has become a laughing stock, with the tree-based camo uniforms, and now this... (even if the camo has perfect logic behind it - cost savings - they should have had a dress uniform that was unveiled as something more "space", and then use the camo as every day wear... or something)
      We really can't go down that road anymore, might be seen as political.

Comment

Looking at the two logos I can not see a case for copyright infringement.

The Star Fleet logo is more colourful.
        The Star Fleet logo shows more planets/stars, showing Star Fleet knows what's out there, Space Force has only one (presumably our moon) and knows nothing.
        Star Fleet logo has it's pointy alien pointing at the next destination, the Space Force looks to be going in circles round the Earth.

Similar... maybe, but I do not think similar enough for copyright infringement.
        http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Who Knows might be correct that there are not enough similarities for a copyright infringement case but I am insterested to see whether the IP holders are going to file suit or not.

In my opinion, they would have a case. The similarities are somewhere noticeable.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            Who Knows might be correct that there are not enough similarities for a copyright infringement case but I am insterested to see whether the IP holders are going to file suit or not.

In my opinion, they would have a case. The similarities are somewhere noticeable.
            Don't be silly. Of course someone is gonna take this to the courts. Might not even be the copyright holders, but I guarantee that it will end up in some court. We file lawsuits over who can spit on what part of the sidewalk.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
              Don't be silly. Of course someone is gonna take this to the courts. Might not even be the copyright holders, but I guarantee that it will end up in some court. We file lawsuits over who can spit on what part of the sidewalk.
              Yeah, you're right... there'll probably be consequences no matter what.

Comment

You can't copyright geometric shapes: concave kite and circular orbit.

More diffs: space force is 3d and starfleet is flat. Starfleet is bent triangle, space force a dart.

The US military has had circular logos with a ring of text for decades, so it's Star Trek that copied them!

Comment

Military forces for centuries have used the ring design, they have all copied each other.
                  sigpic
                  ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                  A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                  The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by EricG View Post
                    Part of a logo -- yes, very much so.

Comment

Coke couldn’t copyright “their” ribbon.
                      back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                      "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                      "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                      and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by EricG View Post

More diffs: space force is 3d and starfleet is flat. Starfleet is bent triangle, space force a dart.

The US military has had circular logos with a ring of text for decades, so it's Star Trek that copied them!
                        But I think the arrangement of those geometric shapes into a design could be copyrighted.

Interesting bit of Trivia - In one of the Star Trek Novels, I think it was "Federation", where the bad guy was a meglomaniac by the name of Adrik Thorsen and his "Optimum" group, the shape of the Trek insignia was explained as a graphical display of the energy usage curves involved with FTL travel, something along the lines of energy required rises very quickly as speed increases until speed reaches FTL, and then energy required falls off just as quickly. Or something like that, I haven't read that book in a long time. But it explained the offset of the peaks of the top and bottom arches.

Comment

In Russian Federation, Copyright infringes YOU

188px-Roscosmos_logo_en.svg.png
                          By Nolamom
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                            But I think the arrangement of those geometric shapes into a design could be copyrighted.

Interesting bit of Trivia - In one of the Star Trek Novels, I think it was "Federation", where the bad guy was a meglomaniac by the name of Adrik Thorsen and his "Optimum" group, the shape of the Trek insignia was explained as a graphical display of the energy usage curves involved with FTL travel, something along the lines of energy required rises very quickly as speed increases until speed reaches FTL, and then energy required falls off just as quickly. Or something like that, I haven't read that book in a long time. But it explained the offset of the peaks of the top and bottom arches.
                            yes I remember that book as well....somehow kept popping up in both the 23rd and 24th centuries when he was a guy in the mid - late 20th century (his faction likely being one of the ones involved in WW3)...I think he actually survived into the 23rd century with the use of Grigari nanocomponents but apparently by then those were starting to break down...then his personality somehow wound up in an artifact that was obtained by the crew of the Enterprise-D and possessed Data

Comment

Working...
                            X