Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just logged back in for the first time in a while. Is there any way to find the old fleet/Science and tech threads?

If not would be be possible for someone to extract them and send them to me? We all put a huge amount of work in to those back in the day so it would be good to have them.
    sigpic
    You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
    Stargate : Genesis |
    Original Starship DesignThread
    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
    11000! green me

Comment

Hi immhotep.Good to see you!

Sent you a pm with the direct links you'll need.
      The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Brill, thanks a lot. I can see they are just in the general SG1 area now, that's great.
        sigpic
        You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
        Stargate : Genesis |
        Original Starship DesignThread
        Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
        11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
          Brill, thanks a lot. I can see they are just in the general SG1 area now, that's great.
          2020 Vision

Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
            I'm not going to spend too much time on this. We all have differing opinions of course, which is fine

The only thing I'm going to add here is that, from my perspective, there are so, so, many other places to talk politics in general, and some places where you (general you) can talk specifically about politics. You don't have to go to this forum at all to do that, if that's all you want. But there aren't that many places, relatively speaking, dedicated to sci-fi and fantasy specifically, and Stargate even more so.

All in all, I do agree with you personally. We can avoid those threads altogether, which I have always done. I also just wanted to provide a fair argument in support of GW's decision.
            yes there are many places online to talk politics (politicaljack is one place) BUT many of us like to talk politics with other users whose online personas we are already familiar with BECAUSE WE SHARE a love of sci fi. among other things, it makes us (me at least) wonder WHAT ELSE might we share in common?

I am not asking for the continued presence of politics here, it is apparent those in charge have made a firm decision on that, just trying to share some perspective on how I and, I think, a few other political discussion participants feel

thanks!!

Comment

I would very much like to see the "That's already been discussed" comments shut down. It shuts down conversation, and it makes members who have been away for some time, and newly returning, like we've been told to shut up. I can only imagine how it makes new members feel. One of my fave threads is dying, and I saw that said to a newbie. Wow. Easy to see why it's on it's way out. That's just sad.
              sigpic

Comment

Pm me the link to that post /those posts and I'll take a look and get back to you.

Comment

I don't seem to be able to get into any threads today. This is the only one. I can reach profiles and the controls, but that's about it. I visited you by the way. I also see that the controls page looks different. Anyhoo, if I can get in and find them, I will.
                  Last edited by Wraithworshipper; 27 April 2020, 11:41 AM. Reason: Bad typing.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wraithworshipper View Post
                    I would very much like to see the "That's already been discussed" comments shut down. It shuts down conversation, and it makes members who have been away for some time, and newly returning, like we've been told to shut up. I can only imagine how it makes new members feel. One of my fave threads is dying, and I saw that said to a newbie. Wow. Easy to see why it's on it's way out. That's just sad.
                    I agree. It prevents me, as a newbie, to both to the site, and to the fandom, from posting something. I will say, that people will say what they say. As hard and as frustrating as that is. However, as you said, it hurts discussion, and that hurts the forum in turn.

My hope those who are old here, instead of saying those things, will instead encourage the discussion. But that takes people changing and as the old saying goes "you can lead the horse to water, but you can't make them drink".

Anyway, from a newbie, thanks for saying something. I appreciate it.

Comment

I think that would have to be at the grace of the posters, not the mods. "common sense" tells one to use the search functions of boards, but I've yet to see an internet message board with an effective, accurate search engine. People need to stop giving that advice.

Comment

You're very welcome. As someone who was MIA for 4 years, I felt put off by some such comments I encountered. I left last time because of arguement over who had the rights to my nickname of Wraithie, me or the new comer. I was not in the mood for it, and stupidly, I left. Don't let anyone shut you down. Generally, where one person is a snot, the others are not. Welcome to Gateworld.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                          I think that would have to be at the grace of the posters, not the mods. "common sense" tells one to use the search functions of boards, but I've yet to see an internet message board with an effective, accurate search engine. People need to stop giving that advice.
                          I guess it is not about that, new people bring in new perspectives likely and the discussion can start anew with more opinions even if a matter has already been discussed

New people, new points of view on old matters, new sources of discussion, the gift of life for each message board is just that...also people get older and can think of things that have been discussed previously in a different way now

If everyone who is new or has not been here in a while gets told all has been discussed already that is really sad because the sails that keep this ship (message board) moving never get any fresh wind..

Comment

No. If someone has enough brass to cut off someone's attempt at conversation because "that has already been discussed", they have no "grace", and they need to be told to be polite. I've seen enough of people trying to control a thread when it's not even a thread they started. Someone that full of themselves will argue a point, no matter how many different ways others try to vary the conversation, until the new comer gives up and leaves. If someone cannot see for themselves they are killing a great thread by their behavior, a mod needs to step in and do it.
                            sigpic

Comment

I have no idea where people tell you off, but I've been posting in the episode threads and I am sometimes literally quoting an older post of mine to make a point of what I thought of certain aspects of the episode I watched. Sometimes I agree with myself, sometimes I don't.

But usually it's always something that has been discussed until the cows come home and there's no one telling me that I should go cause "it has been discussed, move on". Mind you, barely anyone's posting in the stargate section of the forum these days.

I have yet to see a single newbie come into the episode threads and discuss them because I welcome new visions so it must not be of interest.

Who cares what other people think -- man up and discuss your point. With yourself if you have to which scientist say is a sign of intellect, talking to yourself. I know, others question the sanity of it but they can take a hike.

We oldies rehash discussions all the time...
                              Last edited by Falcon Horus; 27 April 2020, 04:15 PM. Reason: Because it's 2 am in the morning and I can't type...
                              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I don't seem to be able to get into any threads today. This is the only one. I can reach profiles and the controls, but that's about it. I visited you by the way. I also see that the controls page looks different. Anyhoo, if I can get in and find them, I will.
                                Yep.I replied there and in pm.More advice with the tech later.

Originally posted by Nyssabraveheart View Post
                                I agree. It prevents me, as a newbie, to both to the site, and to the fandom, from posting something. I will say, that people will say what they say. As hard and as frustrating as that is. However, as you said, it hurts discussion, and that hurts the forum in turn.

My hope those who are old here, instead of saying those things, will instead encourage the discussion. But that takes people changing and as the old saying goes "you can lead the horse to water, but you can't make them drink".

Anyway, from a newbie, thanks for saying something. I appreciate it.
                                Courtesy is always best,and kindness is far more common than cruelty on the forums,in my opinion.Sometimes it can be hard to judge tone and attitude in a typed post.
                                Other times a person can come off brash or rude,and only takes a look at their style if others (or a mod) draw their attention to the problem.
                                We were all newbies once.It can be daunting joining in on a thread (especially a long one) but try it out anyway and see how it goes!

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                                Our search engine is far better than it used to be ,but I agree.Search engines only pick up keywords and tags ,and all it takes is a misspelling and the thread someone looks for won't appear at all.
                                Often the first you know about a thread already being done is when it reappears at the foot of the thread topic we began anew so it really hasn't helped when members have had a go at others.

You're very welcome. As someone who was MIA for 4 years, I felt put off by some such comments I encountered. I left last time because of arguement over who had the rights to my nickname of Wraithie, me or the new comer. I was not in the mood for it, and stupidly, I left. Don't let anyone shut you down. Generally, where one person is a snot, the others are not. Welcome to Gateworld.
                                Can't really add anything to that.
                                Originally posted by Az'ryel View Post
                                I guess it is not about that, new people bring in new perspectives likely and the discussion can start anew with more opinions even if a matter has already been discussed

New people, new points of view on old matters, new sources of discussion, the gift of life for each message board is just that...also people get older and can think of things that have been discussed previously in a different way now

If everyone who is new or has not been here in a while gets told all has been discussed already that is really sad because the sails that keep this ship (message board) moving never get any fresh wind..
                                Agreed.
                                This place has been around so long,and so many members have joined then left for whatever reason,sometimes a fresh discussion is really helpful,whether it's in an old or existing thread.

No. If someone has enough brass to cut off someone's attempt at conversation because "that has already been discussed", they have no "grace", and they need to be told to be polite. I've seen enough of people trying to control a thread when it's not even a thread they started. Someone that full of themselves will argue a point, no matter how many different ways others try to vary the conversation, until the new comer gives up and leaves. If someone cannot see for themselves they are killing a great thread by their behavior, a mod needs to step in and do it.
                                See my previous replies.
                                If you see that kind of thing going on,pm me or Sky and we can then go see if any modding needs to be done.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                                I have no idea where people tell you off, but I've been posting in the episode threads and I am sometimes literally quoting an older post of mine to make a point of what I thought of certain aspects of the episode I watched. Sometimes I agree with myself, sometimes I don't.

But usually it's always something that has been discussed until the cows come home and there's no one telling me that I should go cause "it has been discussed, move on". Mind you, barely anyone's posting in the stargate section of the forum these days.

I have yet to see a single newbie come into the episode threads and discuss them because I welcome new visions so it must not be of interest.

Who cares what other people think -- man up and discuss your point. With yourself if you have to which scientist say is a sign of intellect, talking to yourself. I know, others question the sanity of it but they can take a hike.

We oldies rehash discussions all the time...
                                Some newbies have been posting round the ep and other threads.
                                Some find other things to do when they visit.Some have told the mods and Darren directly that they feel intimidated and feel they're in the way of oldies' chats and OT stuff.Some just read and it can take them a while to get comfortable enough to begin posting.

Comment

Working...
                                X