Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 108
  1. #81
    Major Wraithworshipper's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2008
    Location
    2.4 klicks from my Stargate.
    Posts
    2,472

    Default Re: GateWorld Forum: 2020 Vision!

    I would very much like to see the "That's already been discussed" comments shut down. It shuts down conversation, and it makes members who have been away for some time, and newly returning, like we've been told to shut up. I can only imagine how it makes new members feel. One of my fave threads is dying, and I saw that said to a newbie. Wow. Easy to see why it's on it's way out. That's just sad.
    https://forum.gateworld.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=13540&d=1218150728

  2. #82
    Nox Envoy
    (Moderator)
    Bagpuss's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    27,008

    Default Re: GateWorld Forum: 2020 Vision!

    Pm me the link to that post /those posts and I'll take a look and get back to you.

  3. #83
    Major Wraithworshipper's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2008
    Location
    2.4 klicks from my Stargate.
    Posts
    2,472

    Default Re: GateWorld Forum: 2020 Vision!

    I don't seem to be able to get into any threads today. This is the only one. I can reach profiles and the controls, but that's about it. I visited you by the way. I also see that the controls page looks different. Anyhoo, if I can get in and find them, I will.
    Last edited by Wraithworshipper; April 27th, 2020 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Bad typing.

  4. #84

    Default Re: GateWorld Forum: 2020 Vision!

    Quote Originally Posted by Wraithworshipper View Post
    I would very much like to see the "That's already been discussed" comments shut down. It shuts down conversation, and it makes members who have been away for some time, and newly returning, like we've been told to shut up. I can only imagine how it makes new members feel. One of my fave threads is dying, and I saw that said to a newbie. Wow. Easy to see why it's on it's way out. That's just sad.
    I agree. It prevents me, as a newbie, to both to the site, and to the fandom, from posting something. I will say, that people will say what they say. As hard and as frustrating as that is. However, as you said, it hurts discussion, and that hurts the forum in turn.

    My hope those who are old here, instead of saying those things, will instead encourage the discussion. But that takes people changing and as the old saying goes "you can lead the horse to water, but you can't make them drink".

    Anyway, from a newbie, thanks for saying something. I appreciate it.

  5. #85
    Major
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,985

    Default Re: GateWorld Forum: 2020 Vision!

    Quote Originally Posted by Wraithworshipper View Post
    I would very much like to see the "That's already been discussed" comments shut down. It shuts down conversation, and it makes members who have been away for some time, and newly returning, like we've been told to shut up. I can only imagine how it makes new members feel. One of my fave threads is dying, and I saw that said to a newbie. Wow. Easy to see why it's on it's way out. That's just sad.
    I think that would have to be at the grace of the posters, not the mods. "common sense" tells one to use the search functions of boards, but I've yet to see an internet message board with an effective, accurate search engine. People need to stop giving that advice.

  6. #86
    Major Wraithworshipper's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2008
    Location
    2.4 klicks from my Stargate.
    Posts
    2,472

    Default Re: GateWorld Forum: 2020 Vision!

    You're very welcome. As someone who was MIA for 4 years, I felt put off by some such comments I encountered. I left last time because of arguement over who had the rights to my nickname of Wraithie, me or the new comer. I was not in the mood for it, and stupidly, I left. Don't let anyone shut you down. Generally, where one person is a snot, the others are not. Welcome to Gateworld.

  7. #87
    Lieutenant Colonel Az'ryel's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2012
    Location
    between the dark and the light
    Posts
    4,363

    Default Re: GateWorld Forum: 2020 Vision!

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    I think that would have to be at the grace of the posters, not the mods. "common sense" tells one to use the search functions of boards, but I've yet to see an internet message board with an effective, accurate search engine. People need to stop giving that advice.
    I guess it is not about that, new people bring in new perspectives likely and the discussion can start anew with more opinions even if a matter has already been discussed

    New people, new points of view on old matters, new sources of discussion, the gift of life for each message board is just that...also people get older and can think of things that have been discussed previously in a different way now

    If everyone who is new or has not been here in a while gets told all has been discussed already that is really sad because the sails that keep this ship (message board) moving never get any fresh wind..

  8. #88
    Major Wraithworshipper's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2008
    Location
    2.4 klicks from my Stargate.
    Posts
    2,472

    Default Re: GateWorld Forum: 2020 Vision!

    No. If someone has enough brass to cut off someone's attempt at conversation because "that has already been discussed", they have no "grace", and they need to be told to be polite. I've seen enough of people trying to control a thread when it's not even a thread they started. Someone that full of themselves will argue a point, no matter how many different ways others try to vary the conversation, until the new comer gives up and leaves. If someone cannot see for themselves they are killing a great thread by their behavior, a mod needs to step in and do it.
    https://forum.gateworld.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=13540&d=1218150728

  9. #89
    Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    35,511

    Default Re: GateWorld Forum: 2020 Vision!

    I have no idea where people tell you off, but I've been posting in the episode threads and I am sometimes literally quoting an older post of mine to make a point of what I thought of certain aspects of the episode I watched. Sometimes I agree with myself, sometimes I don't.

    But usually it's always something that has been discussed until the cows come home and there's no one telling me that I should go cause "it has been discussed, move on". Mind you, barely anyone's posting in the stargate section of the forum these days.

    I have yet to see a single newbie come into the episode threads and discuss them because I welcome new visions so it must not be of interest.

    Who cares what other people think -- man up and discuss your point. With yourself if you have to which scientist say is a sign of intellect, talking to yourself. I know, others question the sanity of it but they can take a hike.

    We oldies rehash discussions all the time...
    Last edited by Falcon Horus; April 27th, 2020 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Because it's 2 am in the morning and I can't type...
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock


  10. #90
    Nox Envoy
    (Moderator)
    Bagpuss's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    27,008

    Default Re: GateWorld Forum: 2020 Vision!

    Quote Originally Posted by Wraithworshipper View Post
    I don't seem to be able to get into any threads today. This is the only one. I can reach profiles and the controls, but that's about it. I visited you by the way. I also see that the controls page looks different. Anyhoo, if I can get in and find them, I will.
    Yep.I replied there and in pm.More advice with the tech later.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nyssabraveheart View Post
    I agree. It prevents me, as a newbie, to both to the site, and to the fandom, from posting something. I will say, that people will say what they say. As hard and as frustrating as that is. However, as you said, it hurts discussion, and that hurts the forum in turn.

    My hope those who are old here, instead of saying those things, will instead encourage the discussion. But that takes people changing and as the old saying goes "you can lead the horse to water, but you can't make them drink".

    Anyway, from a newbie, thanks for saying something. I appreciate it.
    Courtesy is always best,and kindness is far more common than cruelty on the forums,in my opinion.Sometimes it can be hard to judge tone and attitude in a typed post.
    Other times a person can come off brash or rude,and only takes a look at their style if others (or a mod) draw their attention to the problem.
    We were all newbies once.It can be daunting joining in on a thread (especially a long one) but try it out anyway and see how it goes!


    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    I think that would have to be at the grace of the posters, not the mods. "common sense" tells one to use the search functions of boards, but I've yet to see an internet message board with an effective, accurate search engine. People need to stop giving that advice.
    Our search engine is far better than it used to be ,but I agree.Search engines only pick up keywords and tags ,and all it takes is a misspelling and the thread someone looks for won't appear at all.
    Often the first you know about a thread already being done is when it reappears at the foot of the thread topic we began anew so it really hasn't helped when members have had a go at others.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wraithworshipper View Post
    You're very welcome. As someone who was MIA for 4 years, I felt put off by some such comments I encountered. I left last time because of arguement over who had the rights to my nickname of Wraithie, me or the new comer. I was not in the mood for it, and stupidly, I left. Don't let anyone shut you down. Generally, where one person is a snot, the others are not. Welcome to Gateworld.
    Can't really add anything to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Az'ryel View Post
    I guess it is not about that, new people bring in new perspectives likely and the discussion can start anew with more opinions even if a matter has already been discussed

    New people, new points of view on old matters, new sources of discussion, the gift of life for each message board is just that...also people get older and can think of things that have been discussed previously in a different way now

    If everyone who is new or has not been here in a while gets told all has been discussed already that is really sad because the sails that keep this ship (message board) moving never get any fresh wind..
    Agreed.
    This place has been around so long,and so many members have joined then left for whatever reason,sometimes a fresh discussion is really helpful,whether it's in an old or existing thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wraithworshipper View Post
    No. If someone has enough brass to cut off someone's attempt at conversation because "that has already been discussed", they have no "grace", and they need to be told to be polite. I've seen enough of people trying to control a thread when it's not even a thread they started. Someone that full of themselves will argue a point, no matter how many different ways others try to vary the conversation, until the new comer gives up and leaves. If someone cannot see for themselves they are killing a great thread by their behavior, a mod needs to step in and do it.
    See my previous replies.
    If you see that kind of thing going on,pm me or Sky and we can then go see if any modding needs to be done.

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    I have no idea where people tell you off, but I've been posting in the episode threads and I am sometimes literally quoting an older post of mine to make a point of what I thought of certain aspects of the episode I watched. Sometimes I agree with myself, sometimes I don't.

    But usually it's always something that has been discussed until the cows come home and there's no one telling me that I should go cause "it has been discussed, move on". Mind you, barely anyone's posting in the stargate section of the forum these days.

    I have yet to see a single newbie come into the episode threads and discuss them because I welcome new visions so it must not be of interest.

    Who cares what other people think -- man up and discuss your point. With yourself if you have to which scientist say is a sign of intellect, talking to yourself. I know, others question the sanity of it but they can take a hike.

    We oldies rehash discussions all the time...
    Some newbies have been posting round the ep and other threads.
    Some find other things to do when they visit.Some have told the mods and Darren directly that they feel intimidated and feel they're in the way of oldies' chats and OT stuff.Some just read and it can take them a while to get comfortable enough to begin posting.

  11. #91
    Staff Sergeant
    Member Since
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    91

    Default Re: GateWorld Forum: 2020 Vision!

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    I think that would have to be at the grace of the posters, not the mods. "common sense" tells one to use the search functions of boards, but I've yet to see an internet message board with an effective, accurate search engine. People need to stop giving that advice.
    This site has the worse search engine I've ever seen. I've searched for episode titles only to be told ALL the words are too common. Gmail is similar to boards, it has no problem. Google is great, just put the title in quotes.

  12. #92
    Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    35,511

    Default Re: GateWorld Forum: 2020 Vision!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Some newbies have been posting round the ep and other threads.
    Some find other things to do when they visit.Some have told the mods and Darren directly that they feel intimidated and feel they're in the way of oldies' chats and OT stuff.Some just read and it can take them a while to get comfortable enough to begin posting.
    Razibot, I think their name is, is such a newbie posting in the episode threads. I think its their first run through and it's exiting really.

    By the way, I put a lot of work in those jigsaw puzzles and quizzes you know. I expect them to be put to good use, dammit.
    Newbie or otherwise...

    Nah, just kidding... ...I was hoping see more newbies or maybe returnees but like I said, talking to yourself is considered a sign of intelligence so my IQ loves to be through the roof.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock


  13. #93
    Lieutenant Colonel Az'ryel's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2012
    Location
    between the dark and the light
    Posts
    4,363

    Default Re: GateWorld Forum: 2020 Vision!

    More new people could be lots of fun, and I think, it is great there are people just discovering the whole SG universe...even moire reason to make them feel welcomed here and able to share their excitement with us

  14. #94
    Major Wraithworshipper's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2008
    Location
    2.4 klicks from my Stargate.
    Posts
    2,472

    Default Re: GateWorld Forum: 2020 Vision!

    We just need to find a way to get new folks in here.
    https://forum.gateworld.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=13540&d=1218150728

  15. #95
    The Monitor jelgate's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Preparing for Crisis
    Posts
    37,073

    Default Re: GateWorld Forum: 2020 Vision!

    Quote Originally Posted by Wraithworshipper View Post
    We just need to find a way to get new folks in here.
    Its an uphill battle really until you get new Stargate content.
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

  16. #96
    Colonel squirrely1's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2009
    Location
    In a tree somewhere
    Posts
    5,086

    Default Re: GateWorld Forum: 2020 Vision!

    I have always been intimidated to post out on the forum. *hides*
    Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    This brings much pain but SQ is right

  17. #97
    Major Wraithworshipper's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2008
    Location
    2.4 klicks from my Stargate.
    Posts
    2,472

    Default Re: GateWorld Forum: 2020 Vision!

    Quote Originally Posted by squirrely1 View Post
    I have always been intimidated to post out on the forum. *hides*
    The only place I ever really felt intimidated was in a Cantina. There were some hardball folks who could be rather "authoritative".

  18. #98
    Colonel squirrely1's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2009
    Location
    In a tree somewhere
    Posts
    5,086

    Default Re: GateWorld Forum: 2020 Vision!

    Quote Originally Posted by Wraithworshipper View Post
    The only place I ever really felt intimidated was in a Cantina. There were some hardball folks who could be rather "authoritative".
    Haha...and that was the one place where I posted. Go figure. To me it was just sort of a slapstick/nonsense type of joint.
    Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    This brings much pain but SQ is right

  19. #99
    Lieutenant Colonel Az'ryel's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2012
    Location
    between the dark and the light
    Posts
    4,363

    Default Re: GateWorld Forum: 2020 Vision!

    Quote Originally Posted by Wraithworshipper View Post
    We just need to find a way to get new folks in here.
    Indeed, that is the tricky bit though, mopst people sadly are less interested in using message board than discussing stuff in chat groups

    Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    Its an uphill battle really until you get new Stargate content.
    That is a point though, on the other hand there are people also just discovering the old shows

  20. #100
    Major General VampyreWraith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    12,893

    Default Re: GateWorld Forum: 2020 Vision!

    Quote Originally Posted by Wraithworshipper View Post
    The only place I ever really felt intimidated was in a Cantina. There were some hardball folks who could be rather "authoritative".
    Me too, but for me it was because I felt that if I posted there, I'd be interrupting whatever was going on. I'm not that good and joking around with people unless I'm comfortable in an environment.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Similar Threads

  1. GateWorld Vision Statement (Draft 2) Suggestions Welcome
    By Darren in forum Welcome, Announcements, and Help!
    Replies: 276
    Last Post: January 3rd, 2009, 07:43 PM
  2. GateWorld's Vision Statement .Suggestions welcome
    By Darren in forum Welcome, Announcements, and Help!
    Replies: 1082
    Last Post: December 21st, 2008, 07:21 PM
  3. GateWorld and GateWorld Forum Discussion Thread (Comment on the Suggestion Box here)
    By immhotep in forum Welcome, Announcements, and Help!
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: July 4th, 2007, 07:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •