Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: GateWorld Forum: 2020 Vision!

One thing that still annoys me a little is that on the front page, the icons of the subforums (below the titles of the main forums, next to More:) have been broken for a long time, showing the "missing image" icon instead. It just makes the forum seem... unfinished.

The First One (Moderator) Darren's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by planet_tv View Post
    What about making a sticky thread in Forum and Announcements/Welcome, Announcements, and Help! board where it contains an index of links to all the archive boards. That way no permissions need to be changed on those sub-boards. since the are accessible if you have the direct link and in the event that someone needs to look at an archived thread they can just go to the sticky thread for the sub-board link.
    Good suggestions! This is really our first foray into the idea of having archived areas of the forum. I'm open to having an index that links to them, though since they are so hidden now I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense to allow them to be open for posting. No one other than those subscribed to those individual threads are likely to come across the new posts being made.

Note that these archived folders are still searchable.

Quote Originally Posted by planet_tv View Post
    Quick question did the Science and Tech threads just just get moved to the root of the series board they were for?[/FONT]
    Science and Tech folders were closed to new posts and moved under the specific show, yes. Our plan is to identify any active threads that folks are currently using, and simply move them out to that show's main folder. (This is part of the housekeeping still to be done in the days ahead.)

GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - RSS
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Awinita View Post
    Does this mean removal of probie status ?
    Not presently, no. Probie status was introduced first and foremost to help combat spammer registrations. New members simply need to show that they are a Real Human who is here to talk about Stargate / sci-fi.

We are planning a membership drive in a few weeks' time, and we might temporarily pause the probie restrictions for a time just to lower the bar of entry for new members.

Quote Originally Posted by NickEast View Post
    One thing that still annoys me a little is that on the front page, the icons of the subforums (below the titles of the main forums, next to More:) have been broken for a long time, showing the "missing image" icon instead. It just makes the forum seem... unfinished.
    You're right! I'll have to look into that.

Chrome does not display the broken images for me at all, so I didn't realize something was failing to load there ...

Thanks for considering my suggestions. Please change the SGU to Universe on the main page of GW as well. I know it is trendy to abbreviate it, but then it also looks too modern next to SG-1 and Atlantis.

But back to the forum. I believe the Stargate Origins - Catherine should be considered as a "movie" now, so it is not worth of keeping the episodes folder on the main page as only the merged digital version exists. Maybe make a Stargate movie folder, then make Ark Of Truth, Continuum, Children Of The Gods - Final Cut, Stargate Origins Catherine subfolder.

The merchandise folder could have the following:
    - Action figures
    - Audiobooks
    - Novels
    - Comic
    - Stargate : Worlds
    - Stargate SG-1 : Unleashed (episode 1-2)
    - Stargate : Infinity
    - other games
    Maybe the mods could open a thread for every Infinity episodes, comics and mainly for novels. Maybe there would be only a few comments in every thread, but then it would be seperated. The summary of the novels could be linked from wikipedia pages, so if they are half-canon or canonish, then the events should be presented to the fans.

Maybe start a Stargate book article series about the 1-2 books every week lik÷ a new feature which would be supported by the new threads here.

It would be nice to see an article series about the mythology of star constellations (glyphs) or any mythological refernces (planet or episode names). Like a little education article series where we could learn a few new things.

If the server can have enough space then make some threads where fans could post their SG art without limitation. Or make a fan art section of the GW outside of the folder, where anyone could upload pictures. But then this step would also cause problems which one was stolen, modified, controversial subjects etc. which is harder to manage.

There are no SG emoticons on the mobile or tablet version of the forum. Maybe I am blind to see it.

Probie

Hmmm, I tend to sub-conciously get into politics, I even managed to get into politics. However, even if politics is natural small talk and debate topic for me, some others simply can't debate it in a civil manner without resorting to spewing pure non-factual hate. It's a problem. I don't agree with the ban, but I do understand it. I actually like heated debate, as long as ppl stay factual and can back up their claims.

Staff Sergeant

Several suggestions for the main page.

Star Trek and Star Wars are major Sci-Fi franchises, they deserve a place there.

Marvel and DCEU are CBM/Fantasy franchises, I don't know were they belong. Many of the current shows are DC and they should be together.

All the franchises include movies, so it's misleading to put them under TV shows.

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    Ok, politics isn't your thing. Or maybe the constant arguing would get to you.
    . . .
    Just put a big "Beware of Dragons" sign on the door and everyone's happy. =)
    To be honest, politics AND religion have always been the 2 hottest subjects I'd prefer to avoid, except when having to defend some particular issue. I am surprised you stayed in those topics as long as you (Annoyed) did with all of the nonsense commentary going on against whatever you were saying. eeeek!

As for the door sign's *warning* notice... when I started a new topic and did that as a joke (because I was surprised to see lots of lurkers already reading into the topic) in my revised "tracking earth" topic, it seemed that it got taken the wrong way. Oh well. Not looking back at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    I fear I'm gonna loose the people that I loved chatting with here -- and that includes every single one of those who posted OPPOSITE views in the Politics and Religion thread. I wish these people a happy new year, and miss them when I haven't heard from them. I get worried even if we're on opposite ends of the political spectrum.

We are a dysfuntional family and you just broke that up! So no thanks...
    Nah... Still got plenty of other places to chat. Maybe some healthy new topics can pop up and get some solid ideas into them, such as when "Art imitates life" and "Life imitates art", which seems to be more frequently now than years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by GateWorld View Post
    Finally, we'd like to take this opportunity to clarify a few other things:

• Old and obsolete threads will be closed. (In some cases those topics might be relaunched elsewhere, as needed.) Many stickied threads you're used to cluttering up your favorite folders will be un-stickied.
    • A few of our software technical problems are still works-in-progress. One of these is the "Report Post" feature, which seems to reach the mods only most of the time. We know we don't get every report, but Sgt. Siler and his team ARE trying to repair that permanently. If an issue you reported persists, please send a follow-up PM to Skydiver and Bagpuss.
    • If you spot a broken page template, or something else that doesn't seem to be working right, please let Darren know by e-mail ([email protected]).

. . .

Now, we want to hear from you!
    I have a question. If a new topic is started, and somewhere within it describes a reference to a previous topic that is now closed, but had those "bad gateway" messages... on them, is it advisable to avoid linking back to those older/closed topics or okay to link to them? I wasn't sure if there were bad links within that might cause the new topic to go all screwy or what, so knowing NOT to link would be helpful tidbits to know ahead of time. Thanks!

Major

Quote Originally Posted by SGalisa View Post
    I have a question. If a new topic is started, and somewhere within it describes a reference to a previous topic that is now closed, but had those "bad gateway" messages... on them, is it advisable to avoid linking back to those older/closed topics or okay to link to them? I wasn't sure if there were bad links within that might cause the new topic to go all screwy or what, so knowing NOT to link would be helpful tidbits to know ahead of time. Thanks!
    The "bad gateway" errors were a system-wide issue that affected any thread at any time, sorta random. No correlation with the closed/open/whatever status of any individual thread. And since the closed threads are still accessible, you would be able to link to them.

Whether or not that will violate the "new order" would depend on what is linked, I would think.

As far as hanging around in spite of the opposition, I expected opposition.

Hank Landry

You'll see that we have shortened the stack of topic folders on the forum's home page and shifted sections and threads around.
    This looks great for SEO. Search engines want to see recent dates on relevant topics and this move accomplishes both. It appears Darren is either engaged in keeping up with SEO trends or has hired a consultant—either way, demonstrable commitment to Stargate.

Topics that, at their core, fall under politics or religion are banished. There are plenty of places to take these conversations online, but after years of tolerance we've found that they too often sour this community and spill over into other threads.
    Thank you! Again, this is for the good of SEO for Stargate and is also proactive if a family-friendly company (such as Apple or Netflix) buys MGM. It also will help to keep the peace among fans. Truth be told, even as an adult, my family wants me out of Stargate and does not even want me posting here for how bad things have gotten with politics and bullying. I’ve had to unfriend some folks because what they had posted in off-topic politics threads bashed me, my family, and my friends in turns. This bashing was showing up on my profile’s activity board, even without me visiting those threads and made me ashamed to be associated with such meanness aimed at loved ones.

A new decade means that it is time for a fresh start, and time to make some changes that will streamline the forum and make GateWorld welcoming to a new generation of Stargate fans.
    And that brings us full-circle: Reorganizing the topical folders and updating the rules are both aimed at creating a friendly and welcoming environment for a new generation of fans.
    Thank you for making GateWorld a real home! We're excited about what the next generation of this fandom is going to bring.
    Fingers crossed and hoping this points to new Stargate material coming soon. But, yes, I have experienced all of the points mentioned about frustrations of new people and still keep seeing those types of posts discouraging new discussions.

One of these is the "Report Post" feature, which seems to reach the mods only most of the time.
    Suggestion: Send an auto-reply for reports which have made it or have mods write back something such as “Thanks, the mods will keep watch on this.” Or “Thanks, the mods will discuss this.” Or “Thanks, the mods are watchfully waiting at this time.”

If any of you want to vent in detail, simply use PM or e-mail to contact Darren, Skydiver, and Bagpuss.
    I see Darren’s webmaster email. Is there an email which reaches all three of you in one address?

Hank Landry

We'd like to get back to the feeling that everyone and anyone is welcome to come here to discuss Stargate, and other science fiction and fantasy and other current TV shows, in an environment that is friendly and welcoming.
    As a fan of one of the galactic races of the franchise, I have not felt welcome since around when Origins came out. As the moderation rules got more lax, non-canon posts about the races, posts bashing the lore’s entire races, and even posts calling for genocide of the lore’s races proliferated. I have seen this not only for Wraith, but also Jaffa, Unas, and Asurans. Several thoughtful posts I tried to make were derailed, only to have other folks paraphrase my posts on other platforms for thorough discussions which should have been done here.

Will GateWorld please get back to enforcing these rules? “Character bashing. Every main character and cast member has a devoted fan following, so it's not conducive to the atmosphere we want to foster to outright bash one of the show's main characters. You can criticize a character to your heart's content, but please keep it constructive and tactful.” And “WARNING - Deliberate Derailment of Threads.”

Please consider the following:
    *Attacks on lore groups are often thinly-veiled attacks on real-life people and groups. Women leaders are among the most commonly attacked, as a class.
    *Attacks on lore groups has resulted in some of the worst bullying and fighting I have ever witnessed in the fandom, including an outstanding one which has been still raging for 9 years and spanned several social media platforms.
    *Lore-based attacks are based on untrue stereotypes, off-topic posts, and made-up scenes, which undermines the validity of the host site.
    *Having a climate where objectification is casually permitted on fictional lore groups tacitly says it is OK to do so for all groups. The rise of attacks on real-life minorities in the forums goes hand-in-hand with the rise of attacks on the lore's fictional groups.
    *Allowing attacks on the lore is unfriendly and unwelcoming to current and prospective fans of those galactic races and groups who are the magnets of staying power of science fiction shows. The longer the shows are off the air and hairstyles and fashions of human actors become dated, the same does not happen to galactic races whose styles are iconic and timeless and will continue to draw new fans.
    *If Stargate fans will not respect Stargate lore, who will respect Stargate?

Major

Quote Originally Posted by WraithTech View Post
    As a fan of one of the galactic races of the franchise, I have not felt welcome since around when Origins came out. As the moderation rules got more lax, non-canon posts about the races, posts bashing the lore’s entire races, and even posts calling for genocide of the lore’s races proliferated. I have seen this not only for Wraith, but also Jaffa, Unas, and Asurans. Several thoughtful posts I tried to make were derailed, only to have other folks paraphrase my posts on other platforms for thorough discussions which should have been done here.

Will GateWorld please get back to enforcing these rules? “Character bashing. Every main character and cast member has a devoted fan following, so it's not conducive to the atmosphere we want to foster to outright bash one of the show's main characters. You can criticize a character to your heart's content, but please keep it constructive and tactful.” And “WARNING - Deliberate Derailment of Threads.”

Please consider the following:
    *Attacks on lore groups are often thinly-veiled attacks on real-life people and groups. Women leaders are among the most commonly attacked, as a class.
    *Attacks on lore groups has resulted in some of the worst bullying and fighting I have ever witnessed in the fandom, including an outstanding one which has been still raging for 9 years and spanned several social media platforms.
    *Lore-based attacks are based on untrue stereotypes, off-topic posts, and made-up scenes, which undermines the validity of the host site.
    *Having a climate where objectification is casually permitted on fictional lore groups tacitly says it is OK to do so for all groups. The rise of attacks on real-life minorities in the forums goes hand-in-hand with the rise of attacks on the lore's fictional groups.
    *Allowing attacks on the lore is unfriendly and unwelcoming to current and prospective fans of those galactic races and groups who are the magnets of staying power of science fiction shows. The longer the shows are off the air and hairstyles and fashions of human actors become dated, the same does not happen to galactic races whose styles are iconic and timeless and will continue to draw new fans.
    So, basically, you're saying that you don't want anyone criticized for any reason.

Under your ideas, if I said "The Ferengi are a greedy, profiteering race" or "The Borg are a machine-based hybrid species bent on eliminating all other forms of life" and you or someone who disagrees with that, or sees real-life parallels can object and I would be censored.

How do you have any sort of discussion at all under rules like that?

In Real or Fictional universes, people will disagree. You can't have a discussion if different ideas are not allowed expression.

Hank Landry

So, basically, you're saying that you don't want anyone criticized for any reason.
    Incorrect. This is a strawman of my post. I do not want to see racism, sexism, and other bigoted remarks, all of which have been going on here.

Under your ideas, if I said "The Ferengi are a greedy, profiteering race" or "The Borg are a machine-based hybrid species bent on eliminating all other forms of life" and you or someone who disagrees with that, or sees real-life parallels can object and I would be censored.
    I have not watched all of Star Trek and can’t comment on that franchise. I can only comment on what I have seen in this fandom, which has included real-life bullying of forum members, including through Stargate characters as stand-ins for forum members.

This is a strawman falsely equating enforcing existing forum rules with not allowing discussion. GateWorld was functioning very well when I first joined in 2010 and there were a lot more mods enforcing the forum rules.

You have had your say in regards to GateWorld’s rules and I have had mine.

Major

I have not watched all of Star Trek and can’t comment on that franchise. I can only comment on what I have seen in this fandom, which has included real-life bullying of forum members, including through Stargate characters as stand-ins for forum members.
    I was using a franchise I am familiar with; I am not familiar with Stargate except for the basic outline of the series. This board is not exclusively Stargate-oriented.

And.... How do you bully someone in real life over the Internet? The very idea is a contradiction in terms.

Hank Landry

And.... How do you bully someone in real life over the Internet? The very idea is a contradiction in terms.
    GateWorld staff have already addressed this:

Nothing that looks to us like cyberbullying will be allowed to take root here in any form. No more mockery or objectification of groups, minorities, nor disrespect and slurs will be permitted.

Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar

I do not want to see racism, sexism, and other bigoted remarks, all of which have been going on here.
    I hate to point it out but fictional politics and religion are still very much allowed, and considering how climate change and political correctness are flung around in modern day television shows, you're gonna find that the fictional world mirrors the real world a lot closer -- behind a thin veil of "fiction".

GateWorld was functioning very well when I first joined in 2010 and there were a lot more mods enforcing the forum rules.
    Where were you went fandom exploded in the Quinn/Jackson wars? The Carter/Weir feuds? Sparky vs Sheyla? Pro-SGU/Anti-SGU?

I missed the first entirely, but definitely did not the others I mention.

And you hit the nail on the proverbial head right there in bold... There is but one left, Bagpuss. I don't know where Sky is hanging out these days but the forum has become self-moderated for the most part.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

I may have been adding gasoline to the fire FH.

I probably got more heated back then compared to niw
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Hank Landry

I hate to point it out but fictional politics and religion are still very much allowed, and considering how climate change and political correctness are flung around in modern day television shows, you're gonna find that the fictional world mirrors the real world a lot closer -- behind a thin veil of "fiction".
    Religion and politics are not race/sex/etc. I can't speak to the shows in the modern day television shows threads, as I don't watch those.

Where were you went fandom exploded in the Quinn/Jackson wars? The Carter/Weir feuds? Sparky vs Sheyla? Pro-SGU/Anti-SGU?
    If there was character bashing in those wars, then that goes back to enforcing existing rules for the forum. Edit: If those rules existed back then. Those wars would have been before I joined and SGA was already off the air.
    Last edited by WraithTech; February 7th, 2020 at 12:59 PM.

One can have a discussion in a well-mannered way, that means expressing opposing opinions without making people feel bashed, bullied or hurt. It is all a matter of the words you choose. And such kind of discussions is what I think is wanted by this forum's staff.

Like, no one says you (in general you) cannot dislike the Borg when someone else says they like them but there is no need to hurt that person or make them feel like their opinion is unintelligent or worth less than yours, it is just different. Nothing more, nothing less.
    My heart is fill’d with warmth and glee
    For thou at last art loving me
    I waited for this day so long
    My Love, let’s sing a joyful song
    © DarkenLyght von Dunkellycht

Major

Quote Originally Posted by Az'ryel View Post
    One can have a discussion in a well-mannered way, that means expressing opposing opinions without making people feel bashed, bullied or hurt. It is all a matter of the words you choose. And such kind of discussions is what I think is wanted by this forum's staff.

Like, no one says you (in general you) cannot dislike the Borg when someone else says they like them but there is no need to hurt that person or make them feel like their opinion is unintelligent or worth less than yours, it is just different. Nothing more, nothing less.
    From WraithTech's post:

He's talking about SG lore, which I assume is the history of events in the franchise, and I'm using Star Trek history.

I can say with a fair bit of certainty that The Borg are pretty much scumbags, because that's what they are in Trek history.

Under the rules Wraithtech wants, saying that would be forbidden.

I actually have much more to say about the topic, but I must be silent under the new order.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast