Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DVR Lost Recordings do to Power Outage. Suggestions wanted for trying to prevent this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVR Lost Recordings do to Power Outage. Suggestions wanted for trying to prevent this

This past Saturday there was some bad weather in my area and the power was fluctuating between on and off for a little bit of time, as the power can do during bad weather. As a result of this, my Mom's DVR lost the recordings she had on it up to that point and as far as I know this is the first time this has happened. The other 2 DVRs are fine and did not have this happen. They are both hooked up to Sharp TVs which are older than my Mom's Samsung TV. My Mom has her Samsung Smart TV plugged into the same power strip, one with surge protection, as her DVR. I'm thinking, in order to try and prevent this from happening again, that maybe a new power strip or 2 and/or a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) device might be useful. I did Goggle this a little bit which is how I found out about UPS but I thought I would ask here and see what helpful suggestions GateWorld members have.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Originally posted by planet_tv View Post
    This past Saturday there was some bad weather in my area and the power was fluctuating between on and off for a little bit of time, as the power can do during bad weather. As a result of this, my Mom's DVR lost the recordings she had on it up to that point and as far as I know this is the first time this has happened. The other 2 DVRs are fine and did not have this happen. They are both hooked up to Sharp TVs which are older than my Mom's Samsung TV. My Mom has her Samsung Smart TV plugged into the same power strip, one with surge protection, as her DVR. I'm thinking, in order to try and prevent this from happening again, that maybe a new power strip or 2 and/or a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) device might be useful. I did Goggle this a little bit which is how I found out about UPS but I thought I would ask here and see what helpful suggestions GateWorld members have.
    Data loss in power failures are a crap shoot. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

The TV's are irrelevant; they don't record or store the data.
    Depending on the hardware used as a DVR, a UPS may or may not help prevent sudden failures. They will certainly act as a very good surge suppressor, and that alone is worth their cost. Any electronics should be connected via one for that reason alone.

But unless your DVR can take a signal from the UPS, warning of impending power failure, unless a human operator is present to shut it off when the power goes out before the UPS battery dies, it may not help.

Myself, my DVR is a standalone computer that serves all TV's in the house, and that is connected to an APC UPS. When the UPS sends a signal that power is failing, the computer shuts itself down before the battery dies.

Comment

Thanks for the reply with helpful information. What I will most likely suggest to my Mom, is getting a newer power strip that has more surge protection than the one she's got and then look into the UPS device.
      Again thank you for the help.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Thanks for the reply with helpful information. What I will most likely suggest to my Mom, is getting a newer power strip that has more surge protection than the one she's got and then look into the UPS device.
        Again thank you for the help.
        Don't bother with the power strip style gadgets.

Think of it this way. If you drop a marble into a shot glass full of water, what happens? You get a mess to clean up.

If you drop that marble into a bathtub full of water, what do you get? Barely a ripple. The far larger mass of the bathtub water absorbs the kinetic energy of the marble.

The battery in a good UPS acts the same way; it's electrical mass absorbs the shock of voltage spikes. The power strips don't have batteries, so....

The strips are ok if you just need additional outlets for low power use stepdown transformers (those little "power bricks" so many devices have these days) but the protection should be the UPS.

Comment

If my Mom has her TV, DVR, etc. plugged into a UPS and the power goes out, would the UPS just need to be turned off since a DVR is never really off unless it's unplugged?

Comment

If my Mom has her TV, DVR, etc. plugged into a UPS and the power goes out, would the UPS just need to be turned off since a DVR is never really off unless it's unplugged?
            If you turn the UPS off, it has the same effect as pulling the power cord on the gadgets that are plugged into it. At least that's the way that the APC brand UPS's that I use work.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
              X