• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remembrance (101)

Visit the Episode GuideSTAR TREK: PICARD - SEASON ONE
    REMEMBRANCE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 101
    Jean-Luc Picard's uneasy retirement is interrupted by a young girl with a mysterious connection to his past, setting him on a mission to discover her true identity -- and why she is being hunted.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 23 January 2020, 09:52 PM.

This was meant to be cannon after TNG 20 years or so. Why did Romulans sun go supernova and it be in there. It should of happened long ago before TNG started. And the Data part of is weird too. One cell of data can make new droids. Like what is that cell they talk about when Data was mostly made out of plastic and had no fluid form where cells exist and have a way to brocreate. Did Data just advanced so much out of blue while he was already so advanced that copying him was pretty much impossible. Even in this new show the women scientist said that it would take 1000 years.

Well at least it's better then discovery based on it's first episode but i can go downhill fast too.
    sorry about my lack of language skills as it is not my daily language and have learned it by my self as not from any help of others or a school

Comment

Originally posted by lopo30 View Post
      This was meant to be cannon after TNG 20 years or so. Why did Romulans sun go supernova and it be in there. It should of happened long ago before TNG started. .
      According to what online it was a artificial induce supernova. An in star trek they travel faster than light so, things happen in real time and they can view and react to things in real time.

And the Data part of is weird too. One cell of data can make new droids. Like what is that cell they talk about when Data was mostly made out of plastic and had no fluid form where cells exist and have a way to brocreate.
      They wasn't talking about cells. They was talking about data neural net, an how taking some of his neurons could be use to recreate him. Neural nets in star trek world are actually a physical thing, not just coding like they are in the real world.

Did Data just advanced so much out of blue while he was already so advanced that copying him was pretty much impossible. Even in this new show the women scientist said that it would take 1000 years.
      That whole scene was poorly written.

It seems the writers forgot that Picard has already met synthetics that were more advanced than data, indistinguishable from human, Juliana Tainer. That Data already had a daughter Lal as well. Which herself, whilst unstable, in it short time evolve beyond data capabilities and even had emotions. Hopefully Picard is just keeping his cards close to his chest and is acting dumb.

I don't take her thousand years statement seriously through or do I trust Agnes. She knows more about what going on and Maddox research than she letting on. An I think she let that slip when she started talking about cloning neural networks.

Remember it took one family of dedicated research, being nearly completely a moral, end justifies the means, to build data. Soong watch countless versions of his creations die. It took them over 200 years of dedicated research to reach the stage where they could create data. So it not hard to understand how Agnes would think it would take a thousand years to catch up.

Remember even Data attempted to create another daughter for himself in Lal, even he didn't do it from scratch but use his own positronic net as a template.
      Last edited by knowles2; 23 January 2020, 11:11 PM.

Comment

It a shame it was only one episode we got, it barely established any story at all. I hope it isn't this slow for the rest of the season.

I got theories, the synthetic rebellion happen because they were given orders that violated their ethnic code, an thus they rebel against starfleet. Remember the same thing happen to Data when in Star trek insurrection. I think the burning of Mars was a accident.

Maddox have built himself a private army of synthetics, base on data and using them to infiltrate the federation to expose some sort of corruption and prove his children are innocent. Agnes I suspect has been helping him or will turn to be a synthetic herself. Dahj was to the daystrom institute, if there evidence of the synthetics innocence it there.

A group of Romulans want to seize control of these synthetics to launch a revenge attack on the Federation. Probably the same people who worked on B4 and been trying to developed a Romulan own synthetics program ever since.

I think the Borg and cube will just be a side story to show starfleet isn't what it use to be and interesting location for Dahj sister to be.

Hope we get to see more of number 1.
        Last edited by knowles2; 23 January 2020, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Well, I have to say the opening was breathtaking...! 1701D back in glorious HD sweeping through space...

I was completely aghast when Dahj was killed! They've just spent half the episode introducing us to her, and then - But, the payoff - she has a sister... Ah, ok. I guess that could work. It gives Picard motivation to search...

With regard to the pace of the episode, my understanding is that Stewart liked that it wasn't going to be 100% action - he's not a young man any more, so it makes sense that it's more character driven... Frankly the sword fight scene from the trailer makes me cringe.

There's been some negative press around the series since it started being seen by people (ie media?), but I am hoping it will be good. This first instalment gave us plenty in reality. It reintroduced where the Star Trek universe is at, Picard in particular, and gave us the start of a journey.
          back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
          "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
          "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
          and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by lopo30 View Post
            This was meant to be cannon after TNG 20 years or so. Why did Romulans sun go supernova and it be in there. It should of happened long ago before TNG started. And the Data part of is weird too. One cell of data can make new droids. Like what is that cell they talk about when Data was mostly made out of plastic and had no fluid form where cells exist and have a way to brocreate. Did Data just advanced so much out of blue while he was already so advanced that copying him was pretty much impossible. Even in this new show the women scientist said that it would take 1000 years.

Well at least it's better then discovery based on it's first episode but i can go downhill fast too.
            The Supernova that destroyed Romulus occurred in 2385. 6 years after Star Trek Nemesis is set. This is the point in which Spock and Nero go back in time and create the parallel kelvin timeline. It is all very in keeping with canon.

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
            According to what online it was a artificial induce supernova. An in star trek they travel faster than light so, things happen in real time and they can view and react to things in real time.

They wasn't talking about cells. They was talking about data neural net, an how taking some of his neurons could be use to recreate him. Neural nets in star trek world are actually a physical thing, not just coding like they are in the real world.

That whole scene was poorly written.

It seems the writers forgot that Picard has already met synthetics that were more advanced than data, indistinguishable from human, Juliana Tainer. That Data already had a daughter Lal as well. Which herself, whilst unstable, in it short time evolve beyond data capabilities and even had emotions. Hopefully Picard is just keeping his cards close to his chest and is acting dumb.

I don't take her thousand years statement seriously through or do I trust Agnes. She knows more about what going on and Maddox research than she letting on. An I think she let that slip when she started talking about cloning neural networks.

Remember it took one family of dedicated research, being nearly completely a moral, end justifies the means, to build data. Soong watch countless versions of his creations die. It took them over 200 years of dedicated research to reach the stage where they could create data. So it not hard to understand how Agnes would think it would take a thousand years to catch up.

Remember even Data attempted to create another daughter for himself in Lal, even he didn't do it from scratch but use his own positronic net as a template.
            The difference is that what Picard is talking about is a flesh and blood android. Julianna and Lal were not that. Juliana came the closest as a android that could most heavily emulate humans and even fool sensors, but she didn’t bleed like Dahj. I agree it’s a fairly strict nuance but it’s not the first time Trek has forgotten and episode for plot convenience.

Loved it as an episode. It is slow burn but it is also very in keeping with the values of TNG. The state of the Federation is very relevant to today while simultaneously this all builds on previous TNG canon. The one new major addition is the synths and their attack on Mars which I’m sure the show will build upon. I was reminded so much of the argument Picard gave to Maddox in Measure of a Man.

Much like the Vulcan Hello in Discovery this was all prologue. And just like DSC I am expecting this will go from strength to strength. Picard is back.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I was just explaining to my son the difference between Star Trek, the tv series / motion pictures, and Star Trek, the action movies that simply steal the name. Yes, "Picard" appears to be both "original Trek", and modernised.

It made me wonder what influence Picard may have on Discovery...
              "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
              and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
                I was just explaining to my son the difference between Star Trek, the tv series / motion pictures, and Star Trek, the action movies that simply steal the name. Yes, "Picard" appears to be both "original Trek", and modernised.

I mean. Picard is based on TNG which was always a introspective and philosophical show. TOS was the action hero show, hence why the Kelvin movies went in that direction, and in my personal view really stayed in keeping with the original series (apart from Into Darkness... I mean I think it’s a fun movie but it is a blatant cash grab.)
                Discovery is somewhere in between but in my view it feels very TOS. The emphasis on friendship and doing what you feel is the right thing even when it doesn’t quite fit the rules. That’s very TOS.

Picard definitely feels like a natural extension of not just TNG but the TNG movies and DS9 and Voyager too. It feels a bit like Enterprise season 4 in a way. It’s not so much telling it’s own story as it is taking the universe as we know it and telling a tale within it. It’s kind of hard to describe.

Comment

Star trek itself is entering into a very interesting period now. With CBS and Viacom now fully merge. The film universe and the tv universe can now reunited again. An that set up all kind of interesting things I think and will have influence over Discovery and Picard in the future. Im expecting some big announcements this year.

An more and more of the Star trek crew also seem to be coming onboard, many of them have long list of director and producer titles themselves. Patrick stewart, Jonathan Frakes, Brent Spiner, and now Whoopi Goldberg I think will all push the star trek universe in the right direction.

Comment

I have nothing indebt to add in regards to The Next Generation timeline. I watched that ages ago on BBC to learn English, so I was but a wee lassie.

However, I had been awaiting Picard with such high hopes and it delivered. For me, it absolutely delivered.

My jaw literally dropped at the opening credits and they are clearly made by the same people who did the opening credits for Star Trek Discovery. Oh my goddess, I loved it so much.

I can not wait for the rest of the season.

It's an opening, setting up the story, and I liked it. Very much so.
                    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                      I mean. Picard is based on TNG which was always a introspective and philosophical show. TOS was the action hero show, hence why the Kelvin movies went in that direction, and in my personal view really stayed in keeping with the original series (apart from Into Darkness... I mean I think it’s a fun movie but it is a blatant cash grab.)
                      Discovery is somewhere in between but in my view it feels very TOS. The emphasis on friendship and doing what you feel is the right thing even when it doesn’t quite fit the rules. That’s very TOS.

Picard definitely feels like a natural extension of not just TNG but the TNG movies and DS9 and Voyager too. It feels a bit like Enterprise season 4 in a way. It’s not so much telling it’s own story as it is taking the universe as we know it and telling a tale within it. It’s kind of hard to describe.
                      I've been doing a rewatch of TNG and I even included a few TOS films and I do have to say that they are very different tones.

Kirk would not like Riker at all and Riker would not like Kirk. I can only imagine Riker before an away mission.

Kirk: Bones, Spock, you're with me. On this away mission. To this unknown world. Where a red shirt will perish.
                      Riker: Wait...you're taking the senior medical officer, the first officer, and yourself, the captain, on a dangerous away mission with one expendable crewman?
                      Kirk: It's what we. Always do.
                      Riker: But starfleet regulations...
                      Bones: We don't have time for your regulations you fat bearded Alaskan nomad!
                      Riker: But Spock, surely you understand how illogical this is!
                      Spock: Kirk has always been and will always be my friend. Logic takes second place.
                      Riker: um...can you at least take someone who isn't in a red shirt?
                      Kirk: No.
                      Riker: Can you promise not to shoot the first thing that moves or to fight giant lizards?
                      Bones: Are you mad man!!! You're worse than the vulcan!
                      Rikers: That's it *taps combadge* Riker to Agent Daniels, take me back, these people are lunatics!

Anyway, my first thoughts about Picard are the following:

I liked it. It was good. I mean it gave what it promised, this is a story about Picard who has become instranged with Starfleet. And let's face it, Starfleet has had some pretty questionable captains and admirals in TNG and DS9. It looks like by the time of the attack on Mars those elements only grew. The Borg Cube and the Romulan situation seem like a set up for some real interesting action down the line. I do wonder if there will be a Romulan Republic in the show...I certainly hope so.

By Nolamom
                      sigpic

Comment

Oh - I think my one gripe with the show so far is the representation of Picard's Romulan refugee friends. Not how they interacted etc - but - maybe it's purely because they aren't dressed in Romulan attire - they look wrong. Yes, pointy ears... but - wrong!
                        and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                          I've been doing a rewatch of TNG and I even included a few TOS films and I do have to say that they are very different tones.

Kirk would not like Riker at all and Riker would not like Kirk. I can only imagine Riker before an away mission.

Kirk: Bones, Spock, you're with me. On this away mission. To this unknown world. Where a red shirt will perish.
                          Riker: Wait...you're taking the senior medical officer, the first officer, and yourself, the captain, on a dangerous away mission with one expendable crewman?
                          Kirk: It's what we. Always do.
                          Riker: But starfleet regulations...
                          Bones: We don't have time for your regulations you fat bearded Alaskan nomad!
                          Riker: But Spock, surely you understand how illogical this is!
                          Spock: Kirk has always been and will always be my friend. Logic takes second place.
                          Riker: um...can you at least take someone who isn't in a red shirt?
                          Kirk: No.
                          Riker: Can you promise not to shoot the first thing that moves or to fight giant lizards?
                          Bones: Are you mad man!!! You're worse than the vulcan!
                          Rikers: That's it *taps combadge* Riker to Agent Daniels, take me back, these people are lunatics!

Anyway, my first thoughts about Picard are the following:

I liked it. It was good. I mean it gave what it promised, this is a story about Picard who has become instranged with Starfleet. And let's face it, Starfleet has had some pretty questionable captains and admirals in TNG and DS9. It looks like by the time of the attack on Mars those elements only grew. The Borg Cube and the Romulan situation seem like a set up for some real interesting action down the line. I do wonder if there will be a Romulan Republic in the show...I certainly hope so.

See Kirk is my least favourite Captain of them all because honestly I don't consider him qualified for the job. He's a maverick and I think his successes and willingness to fight for his crew earns him a lot of loyalty and respect but ultimately he takes risks he shouldn't and is not in any way a diplomat. Of course this culminates in Wrath of Khan in him getting a bunch of his crew killed but the behaviour is just as bad in TOS.

I'm curious about the state of the Romulans too. I do suspect that we will see that there are the two factions of the Republic and former Empire.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPM5NqkCMPY

A good episode in the end of the first season. Around 01:50 in the video will make much sense for the Star Trek Picard about the interview
                            sorry about my lack of language skills as it is not my daily language and have learned it by my self as not from any help of others or a school

Comment

I was completely aghast when Dahj was killed! They've just spent half the episode introducing us to her, and then - But, the payoff - she has a sister... Ah, ok. I guess that could work. It gives Picard motivation to search...
                              Folks don't always stay dead in Sci Fi shows....

Comment

Working...
                              X