Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Possible reboot?

Hi all,

I'm new here but been a fan privately and noticed a few days ago on IMDB that Ronald Emmerich is doing another SG or reboot?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3773814/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_2

Anyone know more about this?

Welcome to the Forums!

All came to nothing.The IMDb piece is from 2017,and E and D (Emmerich and Devlin), made it known since then that they weren't going to go ahead.

There's an article here that you might find helpful
    Stargate (Reboot)

I'm moving this thread across to General Discussion as it's a more appropriate place for the topic,and you might get more reads and replies from Members.
    Edit: moved!
    The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by Methus View Post
      Hi all
      Hello and welcome!

Originally posted by Methus View Post
      I'm new here but been a fan privately...
      Publicly is so much more fun!

Baggie already covered the dead reboot so that was it.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

While Baggie answered your question, I wanted to say welcome! Whether new or long time fans, all are welcome here. I'm a newish fan, discovering the show in 2018.

Comment

What a shame, i was very excited at the announcement with no date but i should have researched a bit more.

Comment

umm, not sure how those were posted, i never saved anything and never even clicked the post button, could they be removed as they have no real reason to be posted?

Comment

Hi,

Nice, yeah I'm watching them all again for the 3rd time. can only hope sooner or later a movie or more TV spin offs regarding SG will appear in the future.

Comment

A TV spin-off is more likely since it's more affordable to make than a feature release. Same goes for a TV/Direct-to-DVD movie. I know I'd be more than happy with 12-15 episodes per season. Even if they come up with another "science geek" character who's constantly holding/creating some ancient artefact or just holing an iPad or using a remote control to operate a flying camera ball in front of a green screen.

Unless MGM orders a new TV spin-off, has parts of it filmed in the cinema style troughout a whole season (with feature-level budget), then has additional scenes filmed afterwards and then ends up doing a full feature release which would be a representation of the whole season. Which is the more likely path anyway if it is decided to use real sets and props once again - either new or the rebuilt ones.

Comment

Mnikolic -- The Mandalorian style filming. Bring it on.

But here's the catch, MGM has yet to throw any money at the the IP. I mean, Wyvern Gaming who's doing the stargate RPG development, has to fund their own project. They pay MGM a license fee to use the name (and obviously MGM approved the use of the IP) but it's WG who went to MGM, and not the other way around.

Same with American Mythology (the comics) -- they walked up to MGM and not the other way around.

It never starts with MGM, but always with someone else.
                  Stargate Origins, by the way, exactly the same manner -- Vanishing Angle/Legion M to MGM (not the other way around).

That in on itself should be key to know that MGM has no desire to put effort in developing anything with the IP if it means they have to pump money into the project themselves.

Which basically means it's utterly pointless doing twitterstorms aimed at MGM.
                  Probably why the European edition on the 25th is so much more important since it's not aimed at MGM but at every streaming service out there to pick it up and do something with it, because if it's left to MGM, stargate is dead. D-E-D. De(a)d.

Comment

Maybe some fan groups could make some fan film. Nowadays I have seen quite well looking SW fan films, so it wouldn't be impossible to make a live action SG one. Or even an animated one or a comic or something. Or there are so many talented digital painters, who could make a few alien landscapes with Stargates. That would still hold the tiny light of the Stargate fandom.

But reboot. NO. Massive NOOOOO.
                    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

The Frenchies have a good one, fanfilm I mean.

Comment

NO reboot if we get a new show please respect the canon what has been established!

Comment

I have an awful suspicion that, should there ever be a reboot of the show, it is a long way down the road.
                          Look at how long it took before Battlestar Galactica re-appeared on the TV.
                          sigpic

Comment

No reboot, not now, not later, not ever until the end of time.

Also, reboot =/= (read, does not equal) continuation. A reboot is what it says, a do-over, a new attempt, a restart. For me, reboots made by new people are disrespectful to the years of work dozens of writers, producers, directors, actors, and fans, have put into a franchise. It basically suggests the people making the reboot are saying "we love your show, but your days are over, no one likes it anymore these days, we're going to take the things that we love, and we're ditching the stuff we don't, and we're going to do it our way and do it better, so thanks for your effort, and goodbye." And considering MGM owns all rights to Stargate, they can do whatever they want. There is no reason these big studios need to think about the fans, they're happy with whatever makes them money. MGM is a lot of things, much of which isn't all that positive, but I sincerely hope they're not as money hungry as other studios. And there's no reason to make a reboot in the first place. Ever. It goes to show how much creativity is lost simply because studios want to "play it safe" and how little imagination some writers have that they can't come up with a new story and a new title. I don't even get why it works, but it does.

This is also why I advocate creator-owned properties, artists/writers owning what they create, not the giant studios who only look at their revenue balance.

So, personal obligatory rant over... (no need to discuss this, I was just in that mood again after reading "reboot" )

Comment

Originally posted by SeaBee View Post
                              Look at how long it took before Battlestar Galactica re-appeared on the TV.
                              To be fair, Battlestar Galactica was a one season show that received a poorly regarded 10 episode spin-off in 1980 following a write-in campaign. Its cult following is not comparable to Stargate, and we're in a different era where TV reboots and revivals are far more common. I also think we're in the early stages of a revival period for TV science fiction.

Superheroes connected with audiences when they did because the technology finally existed to believably depict a wide range of them on film. We're at a similar point with TV science fiction. "Lost in Space" and "Star Trek: Discovery" look almost cinematic and that not only creates a wow factor for general audiences, it also allows productions to believably showcase a wider range of concepts, ideas, and stories than they have in the past, further building interest in what people previously wrote off as stale or silly. I fully expect networks and streaming services to pick up on this and start scrambling to try to get their hands on their own big budget sci fi show in the next few years.

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
                              For me, reboots made by new people are disrespectful to the years of work dozens of writers, producers, directors, actors, and fans, have put into a franchise. It basically suggests the people making the reboot are saying "we love your show, but your days are over, no one likes it anymore these days, we're going to take the things that we love, and we're ditching the stuff we don't, and we're going to do it our way and do it better, so thanks for your effort, and goodbye." And considering MGM owns all rights to Stargate, they can do whatever they want. There is no reason these big studios need to think about the fans, they're happy with whatever makes them money.
                              I know there's no "need" to discuss this, but you could easily apply that same argument to Sg-1. It was a soft reboot of the 1994 movie that took what they (Brad Wright, et al.) liked about the film, ditched what they didn't, and ultimately went their own way. In doing so, MGM disregarded Devlin and Emmerich's sequel plans and cut them out of the TV show altogether because Devlin and Emmerich gave up the rights in exchange for financing.

This is also why I advocate creator-owned properties, artists/writers owning what they create, not the giant studios who only look at their revenue balance.
                              I certainly think there's too much pressure on creators to cede their creative rights in order to play ball, but ultimately it is their decision to sign away their rights.

Also, if MGM didn't own Stargate, we'd never have the TV show in the first place, and if the rights to Stargate are returned to its creators, the TV show continuity would definitely be dead because the Stargate creators do not like the TV shows and want very much to do a reboot of the first movie.

I very much enjoy the TV show continuity, and I would prefer that to continue, but that's because it's the version that I have connected to and invested time in. I didn't know about the movie when I first started watching Sg-1, and I certainly didn't know that Emmerich felt his creation was ripped away from him. If Stargate were rebooted, there would be people with little to no knowledge of Stargate who would connect with that in the same way and feel equally protective of it. We're inclined to be protective of the version we were first exposed to. That's perfectly okay, but taking it out on the idea of reboots when this means some of the things we want to protect against being rebooted are reboots themselves (like Stargate) seems like a case of misplaced anger to me.

By the way, here's a quote from an interview with Brad Wright. Does it make you as angry as you think you'd be if we got another reboot and the creator of that reboot said the same thing about Wright and his continuity? If not, maybe your issue isn't with reboots in general. Maybe you just happen to have an emotional attachment to a particular version of Stargate.

How closely will the movie tie into Season Six? What is the effect of Devlin wishing to continue with "Stargate II?" (Several fans)

Wright: Devlin can wish to do a sequel to Stargate all he wants. MGM owns the rights, and I doubt very much that they'll ask him to do it. He knows better.

https://web.archive.org/web/20090319...d_wright.shtml
                              Last edited by Xaeden; 25 January 2020, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X