Orphan 55 (3803 / 1203)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Orphan 55 (3803 / 1203)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO - SEASON 38 (12)
    ORPHAN 55
    EPISODE NUMBER - 3803 / 1203
    The Doctor and her companions' holiday at Tranquility Spa comes to a quick end after the high-tech facility comes under attack by a predator who has infiltrated the facility.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 13 January 2020, 09:05 PM.

And we're back with political statement episodes, that didn't last long...

Also, did I hear it wrong that Ryan said his Mum died 8 years ago?

Comment

back to business as usual.... for gods sake after 2 good (and I use the term loosely with this lot of writers) episodes its back to these statements.... please chibnal… please you've seen the show done very right and very wrong.... this is leaning into very wrong territory

Comment

Okay, this one did not hold me at all. I just hope the next one will be better.
        Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
        Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
        There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

This episode was definitely a waste. The gang just magically gets teleported to a point far in the future. Wouldn't the contest pieces be marked "do not assemble till ready to travel?
          A few convenient redshirts are provided for convenient killing and the Doctor as usual figures out the puzzle.

Seems to me the entire episode was simply a vehicle for the writer to make a speech on his views on climate change, right down to The Doctor actually making a speech about it.

If this is the path they've chosen, it's a shame. Whittaker plays a good doctor, but I may end up just waiting for the next incarnation along with the usual creative team shakeup.

Comment

I thought torturing the old guy was a bit harsh. And I don't understand the writer's climate bashing. It looked to me that the guests didn't seem bothered about Earth dying and the rest of the humans seemed OK to me. So I saw there is no problem with climate change.
            "You don't know half of it".
            Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
            (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

Comment

They better get rid of Chibnall pretty quick. He's wrecking a good show.
              Whittaker is good, but this needs a reboot.

Doctor Who Ratings Plummet: Loses Near Million Viewers

Not the only show hurting itself, either. Batwoman scored series low ratings this week, too.

Comment

Cosmic Book, Bounding into Comics and We Got This Covered are known conspiracy theory sites that carry that story. They are linked to anti-Disney Fandom Menace. Probably linked to the fake "bad reviews" of Dr Who on Rotten Tomatoes and down-voting of episodes on Imdb.

Here are years of Dr Who ratings. You see that series 10 had similar views to series 12. There was a huge boost to 11m for The Woman Who Fell to Earth, then it declined slowly to previous levels.
                Last edited by EricG; 21 January 2020, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EricG View Post
                  Cosmic Book, Bounding into Comics and We Got This Covered are known conspiracy theory sites that carry that story. They are linked to anti-Disney Fandom Menace. Probably linked to the fake "bad reviews" of Dr Who on Rotten Tomatoes and down-voting of episodes on Imdb.

Here are years of Dr Who ratings. You see that series 10 had similar views to series 12. There was a huge boost to 11m for The Woman Who Fell to Earth, then it declined slowly to previous levels.
                  The chart you cited makes the point of the article I cited. "Orphan 55" came in with a rousing 5.38m. And we both know that S11E1 had a substantial curiosity boost as people tuned in to see the first female Doctor.

Comment

Regardless interest in the show is dying, the thread for the latest episode hasn't even been touched and it aired on Sunday.
                    A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Even aside from the preaching, this episode had SO much wrong going on. The direction was very distracting. We chased through the dead zone after Benni, and don't even get to see him!? Not even a brief glimpse of his shattered body before he gets euthanasied by the gun-totting boss lady. Lame. There was several instances where it just felt like the director was not showing us what was needed - not to mention so much talking instead of showing. It's a visual medium - not radio.

I know that nothing from the old era matters, but furthermore this story doesn't fit with established WHO history for Earth... or at least, sounds like a big "jump" to believe it could fit.

For the un-initiated - 1986 brought us a story called "The Mysterious Planet" (sorry - actually "Trial of a Timelord" pts 1 - 4), in which the Doctor and Peri visit a planet that piqued the Doctor's curiosity, as it has very similar characteristics to Earth, only to discover something in an underground cavern...

Even the monsters in this were done better in the original era - give me the Haemovores from Earth's poisoned future any day...

Last edited by cosmichobo; 23 January 2020, 12:47 AM.
                      back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                      "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                      "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                      and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
                        Even aside from the preaching, this episode had SO much wrong going on. The direction was very distracting. We chased through the dead zone after Benni, and don't even get to see him!? Not even a brief glimpse of his shattered body before he gets euthanasied by the gun-totting boss lady. Lame. There was several instances where it just felt like the director was not showing us what was needed - not to mention so much talking instead of showing. It's a visual medium - not radio.

I know that nothing from the old era matters, but furthermore this story doesn't fit with established WHO history for Earth... or at least, sounds like a big "jump" to believe it could fit.

For the un-initiated - 1986 brought us a story called "The Mysterious Planet" (sorry - actually "Trial of a Timelord" pts 1 - 4), in which the Doctor and Peri visit a planet that piqued the Doctor's curiosity, as it has very similar characteristics to Earth, only to discover something in an underground cavern...

Even the monsters in this were done better in the original era - give me the Haemovores from Earth's poisoned future any day...

That was my problem with the episode, that and the last few mins. It really felt like certain things that should have been shown were left out. And unless there was an actual reason for leaving that stuff out, like it comes up later in the season or something, it was just sloppy.

The Doctor's little speach at the end (coupled with the closing scene of the mutated human) was unnecessary imo, that just felt like the show trying to beat the audience over the head with the episode's message (which I wasn't actually bothered by up until that point).
                        Last edited by VampyreWraith; 16 February 2020, 09:33 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                          The chart you cited makes the point of the article I cited. "Orphan 55" came in with a rousing 5.38m. And we both know that S11E1 had a substantial curiosity boost as people tuned in to see the first female Doctor.
                          You are cherry picking. 12.1 is higher than 10.1, and 12.6 is slightly lower than 10.6.

Comment

Working...
                          X