Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would a new stargate series be about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would a new stargate series be about?

Sg1 and sga ended over 10 years ago. Stargate universe ended 9 years. So assuming a new series would be based 9 years after sgu what would it be about?

I don't mean what do you want a new series to be about but what do you expect it to be about?

Personally I expect only a few of the cast of sg1 and sga would return some as full time cast and some doing cameos a couple times a season. I'd expect there to be an explanation to what happened to the wraith IMO they don't die out but becket perfected the therapy to allow them to eat normally. I can't imagine another big bad race again though I mean the God thing is done. As much I would love new stargate I'm honestly not sure what they could come up with my imagination sucks haha but what do you all think would a new series be about?

We have talked about it a few times, if you check other threads.

New era, new heroes, new adventures, new stargate system(s). The "old" heroes have settled down, established families etc. Atlantis is back to Pegasus galaxy. Gate bridge is rebuilt. Destiny crew is saved or lost.

It would be nice to see an annoying, isolationist believer President who has closed down the SGC for 12 years. Or it would be destroyed by the Lucian Alliance, so anyway that could explain what has changed in the Milky Way while Earth was unprepared for the new galactic status quo. Maybe Athena/the Trust has forced him for such decisions. Then a new President arrives who decide to reopen the Stargate on the newly established Moon Base which has got a direct connection to the Homeworld Security in Washington etc.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Well do you want the optimistic side or the pessimistic side?

The optimistic side would say it would cover the other members of the Alliance. Nox. Furling. Asgard.
      My pessimistic side says it would cover stuff about the Ancients, probably another location or machine made by the Ancients a long time ago.

I think they would call in a few of the old cast either as cameos so we can see what's become of them or so they can get the new guys running. And by this point I think a public reveal would become more relevant in the plot.

I do hope they stick to an exploration theme, try to come up with new races and things to see.

sigpic
      Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
      https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Forget the old cast -- for crying out loud people -- just forget the old cast.

I don't know what new stargate should or could be about, but it should be something new -- completely new, and that means the old cast should not be there, no as full cast, not as guest actors.

Here's the thing... we all loved them. We have our favorites and they vary, so whose favorites should be favored to return.

Therefore new stargate should be new. Remember the history but bring in new characters, new stories, new adventures -- be they past, present or future, I don't care, as long as what came before is not erased and rewritten.

Edit
        Hate me for saying it, but people should realise by now they're never going to get Stargate SG-1 back, or Stargate Atlantis, let alone more Stargate Universe.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I think from a marketing perspective, using some of the older characters does make sense. That can draw old fans in. However, it shouldn't be just for cameo sake. Personally I can tell that from a mile away. If you are going to pay the money for them, use them well. So for me anyway, it really does depend on the situation, and the story they are telling.

To answer the original question, I haven't put too much though on this, but then I am a fairly new fan. I do think that it should have new teams, maybe even a new base. The moon base idea sounds interesting, and already has a connection to canon.

There is one thing that I have thought about and it is the fact that it should be "family friendly". What do I mean by that? I mean that the content should be accessible to most audiences. Notice I did not say kid friendly. I don't mean that. But I would much rather watch a show like SG-1 in terms of content than SGU. I know this is my personal preference. However, the show that went on for 10 seasons was SG-1, not, SGU. Of course when it comes to SGU, the ins and outs of why it was canceled, is a multi layered question. I am not getting into that here. However, the question still stands, what do most fans want? What will most fans expect and flock to? What made Stargate, Stargate? That is a subjective question. And I am not sure what the answer is. However, if MGM is serious about this, they are going to have to ask it. Do they follow the market, which tends to be darker and has more adult content, seems to be selling more? Or do they keep the spirit of the original show, as in SG-1, keep the tone a bit lighter, and hold back on the adult content?

Comment

The Atlantis, SGC, Destiny, Daedalus sets were all sold or boxed or destroyed. So FH is right that we won't get a direct continuation with these places. I know that everything can be rebuilt, but I doubt that the audience really wants an SG-1 v2.0 (technically SG-2) series. We need something new and original which has got Earth based characters, but not necessarry in the SGC.

So that is the reason the secret Moon Base was a cool idea which was hinted in Continuum anyway. That could work as a new operational base in an MW based story. If we want to place a series in the MW galaxy at all.

I had many series ideas, but I still believe a Washington based Stargate : Homeworld Security series could also work. This could follow some agents who investigate alien artifacts and interventions on Earth while they could go offworld occasionally as well. Like a combination of Relic Hunter/Agents of SHIELD/Man in black. They could discover so many ancient secrets : like Omoroca, Giant Aliens and the Chrystal skull device, Nacza lines, Eastern island statutes, megalithic cuktures, fight of alien races of Mahabharata, Goa'uld influence in history, heritage of Seth or Athena, Trust consipration, China offworld trade, Lucian Alliance visit, the Furling utopia (like the Garden of Eden), Nox intervention at th Four Great Races meetings, Ancients in Rome, the rebellion against Ra. There would be so many way to connect it to the existing Stargate lore.
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Mainly such alien activity would happen on Earth, if they could reveal the Stargate program to the public. If the world would know that aliens exists, that intellginet life is out there, then people would protest in front of the Cheyenne Mountain (like civilians woukd try to sneak in, to visit alien worlds etc.), so that could be a reason why it must be moved to the neutral Moon. On the other hand if they would know about aliens and their role on Earth, then everybody would look around for artifacts. And this could lead to some carastrophy or great discoveries. That is the reason we need Homeworld Security before somebody do something bad. Even the presence of Atlantis could alarm other races in MW to return to the Tauri or their scanners could investigate long forgotten secrets. What if China would also make dodgy offworld trading with their spaceship. Since our Solar System is not protected by the Asgard, anyone can land here with a ship. What if the evil Asgard, the Vanir will come back for something? What if other AU alien treasure hunters would show up? Or time travelers from the past? Or the Chrystal Skull would be active again? So many options to start a new adventure.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyssabraveheart View Post
                Notice I did not say kid friendly.
                They tried that with Stargate Infinity, I think, and it failed.

Comment

I have to defend the Stargate Infinity. It is not as bad as it seems. Nice characters, lots of new named alien races, a few really interesting stories as well. I would say to give a chance and maybe you will be surprised.

Comment

I plan to.

Comment

Don't lie FH
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

As far as I know she hasn't started the Stargate Universe yet. Insolence.

If you imagine a new gate system in a new galaxy for a future spinoff, then you have to come up with a really good backstory to deal with the following problems :
                        - Why was this gate system not discovered so far?
                        - Was it built by the Ancients directly or indirectly with the seed ship?
                        - Why has it got humans there? (Not only for casting reason... ) Who and when has brought them there?
                        - Do they know about Earth and their ancestors?
                        - Is the new show centered on spaceship / planet / something else?
                        - Will they be able to contact the Milky Way and Earth?
                        - If you have got Earth based heroes, then why would they end up there? Why wouldn't the "old" heroes go there?
                        - Why is this gate system unique and special? Which major races do they live there?

The only reason I was thinking on these questions, because you have to explain why the new heroes must go there and what major galactic wide threat will be the main plot. And while you have to maintain the door for secondary human characters, there should be a good reason why the veterans won't be there. And this is the reason why a development of a new Stargate show could be challenging as you have to deal with the lore heritage, but also to maintain some kind of separation as a new fresh leg of the franchise.

Comment

And let's not forget the characters, the biggest reason stargate was so good. We need a new band of plucky heroes that we can get invested in during the light times but be badass during the hard times.

sigpic
                          Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
                          https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Personally, I think a new spin-off series should start off with its own, new & fresh plot, storyline and characters. Of course, the SG-1 cannon (SG-1/Atlantis/Universe) could be still worked in with the already known scientific, technological and mytgological discoveries without actually using the old cast. Don't get me wrong - I love the old cast, but any continuation of those three shows is a bust.

Here's how I think it could work: The remaining forces of the former Lucian Alliance attack the SGC, trash it and even end up killing some of the personel in progress. They are barely stopped by a new SG team trained by some SGC veterans (whose names aren't mentioned - but probably some new characters too?). The President decides to shut down the SGC. Some years pass and a pathogen outbreak in the USA causes the re-opening of the SGC once it is confirmed that it's the same pathogen that made people revert to their childhood state back in Pegasus. The now-new President tries to contact McKay and Keller, however, the idea soon ends up hitting a wall for some unknown reason. So the SG team that barely stopped the final LA's attack on the SGC is called in and the SGC personel is regrouped under a new command of a new General. First mission: Go to Pegasus Galaxy and get as many people cured as possible. Luckily, the Midway is re-built so getting to the nearest gate in the Pegasus is no problem since macros can be modified to bypass the necessity of going to Atlantis. Of course, this leads into the whole program going public back on Earth. For that reason, the hero SG team, now called SG-MW is ordered to keep its missions inside the terotorry of the Milky Way for the time being. That results in being the correct decision since a new alien force ends up trhreatening Earth and the SGC being unable to get the necessary finances to resume the Atlantis or Destiny missions which have been suspended under very suspicious circumstances. And that would be the end of it if not for the SG-MW team discovering that LA is still active and bigger and stronger than ever and that is has infiltrated the SGC. This time, not even SG-1 can help since they have gone missing as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, focusing on new characters and their missions, but ocasionally indirectly referring to the old characters, having the new team discover entirely new things could actually end up resolving SGC's current state and the status of the old characters in the end. Which makes a great plot and provides a hint to what happened to the SG-1, Atlantis and Universe guys without actually them being present and without having to tie up loose ends from previous shows.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                              Don't lie FH
                              I'm not...

Comment

Working...
                              X