Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Second Lieutenant

Default What would a new stargate series be about?

Sg1 and sga ended over 10 years ago. Stargate universe ended 9 years. So assuming a new series would be based 9 years after sgu what would it be about?

I don't mean what do you want a new series to be about but what do you expect it to be about?

Personally I expect only a few of the cast of sg1 and sga would return some as full time cast and some doing cameos a couple times a season. I'd expect there to be an explanation to what happened to the wraith IMO they don't die out but becket perfected the therapy to allow them to eat normally. I can't imagine another big bad race again though I mean the God thing is done. As much I would love new stargate I'm honestly not sure what they could come up with my imagination sucks haha but what do you all think would a new series be about?

Default Re: What would a new stargate series be about?

We have talked about it a few times, if you check other threads.

New era, new heroes, new adventures, new stargate system(s). The "old" heroes have settled down, established families etc. Atlantis is back to Pegasus galaxy. Gate bridge is rebuilt. Destiny crew is saved or lost.

It would be nice to see an annoying, isolationist believer President who has closed down the SGC for 12 years. Or it would be destroyed by the Lucian Alliance, so anyway that could explain what has changed in the Milky Way while Earth was unprepared for the new galactic status quo. Maybe Athena/the Trust has forced him for such decisions. Then a new President arrives who decide to reopen the Stargate on the newly established Moon Base which has got a direct connection to the Homeworld Security in Washington etc.

First Lieutenant StargateMillennium's Avatar

Well do you want the optimistic side or the pessimistic side?

The optimistic side would say it would cover the other members of the Alliance. Nox. Furling. Asgard.
    My pessimistic side says it would cover stuff about the Ancients, probably another location or machine made by the Ancients a long time ago.

I think they would call in a few of the old cast either as cameos so we can see what's become of them or so they can get the new guys running. And by this point I think a public reveal would become more relevant in the plot.

I do hope they stick to an exploration theme, try to come up with new races and things to see.

Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...

Forget the old cast -- for crying out loud people -- just forget the old cast.

I don't know what new stargate should or could be about, but it should be something new -- completely new, and that means the old cast should not be there, no as full cast, not as guest actors.

Here's the thing... we all loved them. We have our favorites and they vary, so whose favorites should be favored to return.

Therefore new stargate should be new. Remember the history but bring in new characters, new stories, new adventures -- be they past, present or future, I don't care, as long as what came before is not erased and rewritten.

Edit
    Hate me for saying it, but people should realise by now they're never going to get Stargate SG-1 back, or Stargate Atlantis, let alone more Stargate Universe.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

icon courtsey by planet_tv || signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

I think from a marketing perspective, using some of the older characters does make sense. That can draw old fans in. However, it shouldn't be just for cameo sake. Personally I can tell that from a mile away. If you are going to pay the money for them, use them well. So for me anyway, it really does depend on the situation, and the story they are telling.

To answer the original question, I haven't put too much though on this, but then I am a fairly new fan. I do think that it should have new teams, maybe even a new base. The moon base idea sounds interesting, and already has a connection to canon.

There is one thing that I have thought about and it is the fact that it should be "family friendly". What do I mean by that? I mean that the content should be accessible to most audiences. Notice I did not say kid friendly. I don't mean that. But I would much rather watch a show like SG-1 in terms of content than SGU. I know this is my personal preference. However, the show that went on for 10 seasons was SG-1, not, SGU. Of course when it comes to SGU, the ins and outs of why it was canceled, is a multi layered question. I am not getting into that here. However, the question still stands, what do most fans want? What will most fans expect and flock to? What made Stargate, Stargate? That is a subjective question. And I am not sure what the answer is. However, if MGM is serious about this, they are going to have to ask it. Do they follow the market, which tends to be darker and has more adult content, seems to be selling more? Or do they keep the spirit of the original show, as in SG-1, keep the tone a bit lighter, and hold back on the adult content?

The Atlantis, SGC, Destiny, Daedalus sets were all sold or boxed or destroyed. So FH is right that we won't get a direct continuation with these places. I know that everything can be rebuilt, but I doubt that the audience really wants an SG-1 v2.0 (technically SG-2) series. We need something new and original which has got Earth based characters, but not necessarry in the SGC.

So that is the reason the secret Moon Base was a cool idea which was hinted in Continuum anyway. That could work as a new operational base in an MW based story. If we want to place a series in the MW galaxy at all.

I had many series ideas, but I still believe a Washington based Stargate : Homeworld Security series could also work. This could follow some agents who investigate alien artifacts and interventions on Earth while they could go offworld occasionally as well. Like a combination of Relic Hunter/Agents of SHIELD/Man in black. They could discover so many ancient secrets : like Omoroca, Giant Aliens and the Chrystal skull device, Nacza lines, Eastern island statutes, megalithic cuktures, fight of alien races of Mahabharata, Goa'uld influence in history, heritage of Seth or Athena, Trust consipration, China offworld trade, Lucian Alliance visit, the Furling utopia (like the Garden of Eden), Nox intervention at th Four Great Races meetings, Ancients in Rome, the rebellion against Ra. There would be so many way to connect it to the existing Stargate lore.

Mainly such alien activity would happen on Earth, if they could reveal the Stargate program to the public. If the world would know that aliens exists, that intellginet life is out there, then people would protest in front of the Cheyenne Mountain (like civilians woukd try to sneak in, to visit alien worlds etc.), so that could be a reason why it must be moved to the neutral Moon. On the other hand if they would know about aliens and their role on Earth, then everybody would look around for artifacts. And this could lead to some carastrophy or great discoveries. That is the reason we need Homeworld Security before somebody do something bad. Even the presence of Atlantis could alarm other races in MW to return to the Tauri or their scanners could investigate long forgotten secrets. What if China would also make dodgy offworld trading with their spaceship. Since our Solar System is not protected by the Asgard, anyone can land here with a ship. What if the evil Asgard, the Vanir will come back for something? What if other AU alien treasure hunters would show up? Or time travelers from the past? Or the Chrystal Skull would be active again? So many options to start a new adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssabraveheart View Post
    Notice I did not say kid friendly.
    They tried that with Stargate Infinity, I think, and it failed.

icon courtsey by planet_tv || signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon

I have to defend the Stargate Infinity. It is not as bad as it seems. Nice characters, lots of new named alien races, a few really interesting stories as well. I would say to give a chance and maybe you will be surprised.

I plan to.

The Beach of naked Sebeceans and margarita shooter

Don't lie FH
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

As far as I know she hasn't started the Stargate Universe yet. Insolence.

If you imagine a new gate system in a new galaxy for a future spinoff, then you have to come up with a really good backstory to deal with the following problems :
    - Why was this gate system not discovered so far?
    - Was it built by the Ancients directly or indirectly with the seed ship?
    - Why has it got humans there? (Not only for casting reason... ) Who and when has brought them there?
    - Do they know about Earth and their ancestors?
    - Is the new show centered on spaceship / planet / something else?
    - Will they be able to contact the Milky Way and Earth?
    - If you have got Earth based heroes, then why would they end up there? Why wouldn't the "old" heroes go there?
    - Why is this gate system unique and special? Which major races do they live there?

The only reason I was thinking on these questions, because you have to explain why the new heroes must go there and what major galactic wide threat will be the main plot. And while you have to maintain the door for secondary human characters, there should be a good reason why the veterans won't be there. And this is the reason why a development of a new Stargate show could be challenging as you have to deal with the lore heritage, but also to maintain some kind of separation as a new fresh leg of the franchise.

First Lieutenant StargateMillennium's Avatar

And let's not forget the characters, the biggest reason stargate was so good. We need a new band of plucky heroes that we can get invested in during the light times but be badass during the hard times.

Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Second Lieutenant

Personally, I think a new spin-off series should start off with its own, new & fresh plot, storyline and characters. Of course, the SG-1 cannon (SG-1/Atlantis/Universe) could be still worked in with the already known scientific, technological and mytgological discoveries without actually using the old cast. Don't get me wrong - I love the old cast, but any continuation of those three shows is a bust.

Here's how I think it could work: The remaining forces of the former Lucian Alliance attack the SGC, trash it and even end up killing some of the personel in progress. They are barely stopped by a new SG team trained by some SGC veterans (whose names aren't mentioned - but probably some new characters too?). The President decides to shut down the SGC. Some years pass and a pathogen outbreak in the USA causes the re-opening of the SGC once it is confirmed that it's the same pathogen that made people revert to their childhood state back in Pegasus. The now-new President tries to contact McKay and Keller, however, the idea soon ends up hitting a wall for some unknown reason. So the SG team that barely stopped the final LA's attack on the SGC is called in and the SGC personel is regrouped under a new command of a new General. First mission: Go to Pegasus Galaxy and get as many people cured as possible. Luckily, the Midway is re-built so getting to the nearest gate in the Pegasus is no problem since macros can be modified to bypass the necessity of going to Atlantis. Of course, this leads into the whole program going public back on Earth. For that reason, the hero SG team, now called SG-MW is ordered to keep its missions inside the terotorry of the Milky Way for the time being. That results in being the correct decision since a new alien force ends up trhreatening Earth and the SGC being unable to get the necessary finances to resume the Atlantis or Destiny missions which have been suspended under very suspicious circumstances. And that would be the end of it if not for the SG-MW team discovering that LA is still active and bigger and stronger than ever and that is has infiltrated the SGC. This time, not even SG-1 can help since they have gone missing as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, focusing on new characters and their missions, but ocasionally indirectly referring to the old characters, having the new team discover entirely new things could actually end up resolving SGC's current state and the status of the old characters in the end. Which makes a great plot and provides a hint to what happened to the SG-1, Atlantis and Universe guys without actually them being present and without having to tie up loose ends from previous shows.

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    Don't lie FH
    I'm not...

The Beach of naked Sebeceans and margarita shooter

Actions speak louder than words
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    Actions speak louder than words
    True... I concede.

But I am actually planning to.
    Just have to work on my escape room game in Python. Any all Stargate riddles are welcome.

Second Lieutenant

Another thing I thought of:

Since a direct continuation of the existing three spin-offs is basically mission impossible, there is a potential way to continue the legacy that the three shows have left behind.

We know that some Stargate cast members had gone to become TV/movie writers/producers. Some have even pitched story ideas for certain episodes or even directed an episode here and there. What if a new SG spin-off featured a new cast, new characters - basically everything knew - except that the old cast is there behind the cameras not only in a writer/producer role, but also in the role of being mentors to the new cast? That way, the new cast would be able to interact with the old one, learning from the ones who were already on the show. That could lead in exchanging experiences and ideas for the new spin-off or a movie or whatever could be next.

Instead of banging heads on how to answer all the unanswered questions from SG-1/Atlantis/Universe, I think the production of the new spin-off/movie should be about the past meeting the future behind the scenes which could result in a much better end product since once the new cast would develop a work routine, they should be able to easily come onto their own turf.

Plus it would be kind of the veterans passing the torch to the new guys. The SG franchise does need to expand its audiences after all, but it needs to do it without loosing the exisiting auidences for whatever reason.

They could roughly follow the story ideas of Stargate : Worlds
    https://stargate.fandom.com/wiki/Stargate_Worlds

*** Stargate : Worlds SPOILERS ***
    The Stargate Worlds story went through many iterations and redevelopments over the lifespan of the project, but the final story which was being worked on up until the point of the game's cancellation was as follows:

All events in the story at launch were meant to be inserted into the time gap between the end of Season 8 of SG-1 and the beginning of Season 9. Following the launch of the game additional storylines would have been introduced which were to connect with the Ori plotline and Atlantis plotlines in development at the time.
    There was also a brief plan to connect an in-game Stargate Worlds event with the launch of Stargate Universe. Following the collapse of Worlds, this part was retained as Eli's story.
    The overarching story for the game at launch was centered around the return of Ra and his attempt at reconquering the galaxy with the aid of remaining Goa'uld and Jaffa die-hards and his new army of Straegis - an alien species invented for the game.
    The Straegis were going to be revealed as the Furling species, damaged and enslaved by Ra.
    The "good" player faction was going to be the Stargate Union: an alliance between the SGC, several Free Jaffa tribes, and the Asgard. Asgard player characters would be assisted by sophisticated and customized drone robots for physical and combat tasks.
    As part of the continuing storyline, after the Asgard race became extinct player characters would be able to continue play as holographically projected by their drones.
    The "villain" player faction was going to be the Praxis: an alliance between Ba'al, Queen Anat (a Goa'uld queen invented for the game), Mok'hatan (a disowned daughter of Bra'tac who led her own tribe), and Col. Marsh (leader of OP-CORE, an amalgamation of rogue NID and human military factions).
    The "New Mind Goa'uld" player character race was an invention of the game, Goa'uld birthed by Anat without the complete racial memory of the Goa'uld in an effort to avoid making the same mistakes.
    As part of the game's storyline, Anat was to be assassinated by the player characters and Ba'al driven out of the Praxis.
    In the initial levels, players would play through the formation of the SGU and/or the Praxis and discover the existence of a widespread cult dedicated to Ra's return.
    After tracking down the cult to Ihpet, a fortress world of Ra's, the players would witness his rebirth.
    The next levels would cover holding off Ra's invasion of various worlds and figuring out his master plan. This arc culminated in a battle on Dakara where Ra's forces would use the Ancient device there to bring forth his army of Straegis.
    Fighting against the Straegis would lead players to Agnos, an Atlantis-like Ancient library world intended to serve as the repository of Ancient knowledge when humanity was "ready" and master source of all of the repositories seen in the show. It was also the home of the last human Ancients, of which only two had survived the plague and long time in stasis.
    This is the world seen as part of Prometheus in Stargate Universe.
    As part of the plotline, players would of course need to destroy the intelligence maintaining the world in order to stop Ra and the Straegis.
    Finally players would locate the means to travel to the Furling homeworld and free them from Ra's command. This would pave the way towards defeating Ra finally and lead into the endgame and future content releases.

Other plotlines which were to be explored in game:
    The formation of the Lucian Alliance.
    The dissolution of the Alliance of Four Races.
    Players were to discover that each of the races had constructed a potential "caretaker" species to carry on existence in the Milky Way after it had gone.
    The Ancients created humanity, obviously.
    The Furling were to have said to create the Goa'uld as their caretaker species.
    The Nox were to be revealed as insisting that none was needed.
    The Asgard were to have created a technological solution called "Solacris" which spectacularly backfired, resulting in the crippling of their race and the creation of the plague which killed all the unascended Ancients, sparking the dissolution of the Alliance. The "Solacris" was to be a key player in the post-Ra content.

--------------

Some elements of the SG:W storyline could be kept as part of the future of Milky Way. But I believe a new spinoff needs new enemies, new alliances and the whole Goa'uld story is discussed back and forth.

I would definately introduce a new President, who was hostile to the whole program after the attack In Washington (SGU season 2). So SGC is closed down officially, but unofficially it was used to send criminals / political enemies, so the OP-Core storyline would start.

The Lucian Alliance would attack the offworld prison world and the ex NID agents would ally with them.
    The role of Anat could be taken over by Athene as she knows a lot about Earth.
    The Jaffa Empire would forge a truce after a horrible civil war between Rebel Jaffa and Loyal Jaffa.
    SGC is destroyed and later it is rebuilt as a Moon base.
    Atlantis has flown back to Pegasus galaxy with Todd and Sheppard.
    Area 51 has developed new type of jumper ships (X305) as the next defense line.
    Eli and a few Destiny survivor have returned through the gate but the don't know what happened. They believe the Eden aliens have helped them. They try to resettle in their civil life, while some of them would join the Homeworld Security on the Moon base to help out the MW conflicts.
    Asgard could ve still alive as their Unending trick was a mass ascension attempt. Anyway the Vanirs would take over their heritage and they would even visit Earth and other ex-Protected Planets for some hidden treasure see Solackris storyline.

But this is just a start. Okay, we have skipped 10 years, but life hasn't stopped in the galaxy. New trade routes, new agressive empires would rise again.

Hmm.
    About time?
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth