Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the best sci fi series for ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is the best sci fi series for ever?

Last edited by grobanix; 28 September 2021, 02:41 AM.
    Enough of this tampering with time. Causality is not to be treated so lightly.

Are you asking what is the best sci-fi series? If so, you'll get several answers. Simply because it is so subjective. What one person would consider the best, another would consider the worst. You could possibly try to answer this type of question with numbers, in terms of views or downloads, but that is tough to compile.

There is the pragmatic answer for you. As for me, from all that I have personally seen, I would say Stargate SG-1. But again, I haven't seen every sci-fi series, and not all appeal to me. So that, like I said is a subjective answer.

Comment

Either Babylon-5 or DS-9.
      The sheer depth of storytelling in those two series is simply beyond compare. I have had more -fun- watching other series, but on a basic storytelling level, nothing beats them.

EDIT:
      If the question was what was the most -influential- series, It would be ST:TOS or TNG. Neither Bab-5 or DS9 hold a candle to the impact of those 2 series. TOS was utterly ground breaking for it's time, and TNG was literally the lighting in a bottle for a second time.
      Last edited by Gatefan1976; 05 December 2019, 04:50 PM.
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I think there's very little doubt that the original series of Star Trek, The Twilight Zone, and The Outer Limits are the Holy Trinity of the most influential sci-fi TV of all time. Every single story that we now identify as "tropes" originated on television as an episode of one of those three shows.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

The question is, what is the most influential, and what is the best, they are not the same thing, hence my edit.
          TZ, I can definitely agree on the influence aspect, OL is a little more "out there" than the mainstream, so I'm not too sure about it.

Meh, I just love sci-fi
          sigpic

Comment

"what is the best sci fi series for ever?"

Hard to answer as nothing is 'for ever'

My first scifi was Flash Gordon at the children's Saturday morning matinee, and for a kid of my age 'it was the bestest ever'. Then we got TV and Quatermass, which at my age I should not have been watching (happy nightmares).

Now we have all the previous answers, and they were/are all good in their own way.
            But always, something better comes along as imagination and CGI improves. So maybe the best is yet to come?
            http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Originally posted by Who Knows View Post
              "what is the best sci fi series for ever?"

Hard to answer as nothing is 'for ever'

My first scifi was Flash Gordon at the children's Saturday morning matinee, and for a kid of my age 'it was the bestest ever'. Then we got TV and Quatermass, which at my age I should not have been watching (happy nightmares).

Now we have all the previous answers, and they were/are all good in their own way.
              But always, something better comes along as imagination and CGI improves. So maybe the best is yet to come?
              I don't think you can eliminate shows due to the quality of special effects at the time. You also have to consider the period of time when it was created.

For the first, consider ST:TOS. Lots of good writing and stories, and the effects were ok for it's time period. Compare them to almost anything made after John Dykstra's work in Star Wars (1977) and they pale in comparison.

The time period matters too. Galactica TOS was quite good, for when it was made. But it was made in an era of 3 nationwide TV networks and when most people were lucky to get those three stations and PBS. You can argue that NuBSG had better stories, but that couldn't have been made it to air in 1978.

Comment

I don't know why you guys are worried about CGI, that's nothing more than eye candy.
                Story, story, story.
                TOS or Twilight zone are not great because of CGI, but because the STORIES speak to us.
                Books have zero CGI, so why do people still read?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                  I don't know why you guys are worried about CGI, that's nothing more than eye candy.
                  Story, story, story.
                  TOS or Twilight zone are not great because of CGI, but because the STORIES speak to us.
                  Books have zero CGI, so why do people still read?

It kills me when people moan about TV shows that have been around for more than five minutes being "too old" to watch.
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post

It kills me when people moan about TV shows that have been around for more than five minutes being "too old" to watch.
                    I feel your pain brother Digi.
                    Bab-5 had seriously BAD CGI in series 1, but the story, the STORY always got me back into it. Londo and G'kar was a masterpiece of character development, and screw the whole war, I wanted to know about them, not the angels or demons.
                    It was their relationship, and Sherridan's that got me hooked, not the CGI.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X